• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: AMD New ZEN CPU Preview Event

Durante

Comparing the 8-core chips on that Fritz benchmark would indicate that Broadwell is about 25-30% faster per core and MHz in that benchmark than the Ryzen chip. As far as I know it's an integer/branching heavy workload.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Comparing the 8-core chips on that Fritz benchmark would indicate that Broadwell is about 25-30% faster per core and MHz in that benchmark than the Ryzen chip. As far as I know it's an integer/branching heavy workload.

We don't know which engineering sample they used for those scores.

could either be the 2.8ghz, 3.0ghz or the newest of all 3.4

Each one is plausible, none is for certain. If its the 3.4 i'm still ok with it for the right price (which is where all the hype should be centered on)

Doesn't explain the weird jump between 7700K 5GHz vs 6900K. If anything, it should have been higher due to higher SCP. The whole thing looks pretty suspect to me. The scaling is all weird. If it's SCP dependent then it should have been 7700K < 6900K < 6950X <7700K 5GHz. As is, the scaling looks very MCP dependent, but Ryzen's spot is at odds with cinebench/blender figures.

Seronei

Rumour is fake apparently, thread were the rumour started got deleted from Baidu forum and a mod confirmed it was fake. The benchmarks were run on a E5 2660.

RenditMan

Banned
Event has no meaning on zen itself. Zen has to cover semi-custom(consoles), mobile, desktop and professional markets.

And AMD loves showing their performance against $1000 Intel cpus in games while quietly ignoring existence of highly clocked i7 quads to pryy on lack of knowledge of non enthusiast consumers.

And as far as zen is concerned it's more telling what wasn't shown (performance in cpu limited games) than meaningless benchmarks they did.

Why would non enthusiasts be watching a launch video of a cpu? I'm confused at your point.

Nachtmaer

Guess I'll post it in here. Some early Ryzen benchmark results got posted over at OC.net.

1a431fe2_8a14207f-a115-4534-b6bd-c7801085ca42.jpeg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1619110/cpc-first-unofficial-ryzen-benchmarks/0_30

Seronei

That's actually really good. That can't be far from Skylake level IPC, considering many of the games tested isn't multithreaded very well. Equal clock to Skylake would put it just ahead of it, assuming of course that it scales completely linearly and you can actually reach that clock. EDIT: Although games using more cores in just some titles would definitely skew it pretty quickly in Ryzens favor. Really hard to say.

The grouping together of all the results makes it pretty hard to be sure though.
Guess it remains to be seen though. But if that's accurate it's very promising.

Nachtmaer

Yeah, it seems to be around Broadwell when it comes to IPC. This is why it manages to keep up with Intel when it comes to multithreading. At least in the cases where bandwidth is less important since BW-E uses quad channel whereas Summit Ridge is only dual channel.

Unsurprisingly it falls below the Lakes in gaming because of Zen's weaker core per core performance and lower frequency.

One thing to note is that this sample seems to run at 3.15Ghz base and boosts up to 3.4.

badb0y

Yeah, it seems to be around Broadwell when it comes to IPC. This is why it manages to keep up with Intel when it comes to multithreading. At least in the cases where bandwidth is less important since BW-E uses quad channel whereas Summit Ridge is only dual channel.

Unsurprisingly it falls below the Lakes in gaming because of Zen's weaker core per core performance and lower frequency.

One thing to note is that this sample seems to run at 3.15Ghz base and boosts up to 3.4.
I am on Sandy Bridge so these look good to me anyway you slice it... all I have to see now is price and overclockability.

Irobot82

AMD did say the base clock will be 3.4 and boost from there. I wonder if this was an engineering sample.

Any translation?
1a431fe2_8a14207f-a115-4534-b6bd-c7801085ca42.jpeg

Sure, let me do that:
* Performances - Computation
Encoding HB H.264 1080p H.265 4k, WPrime, PovRay 3-7, Blender 3D, 3DS Max 2015 / Mental Ray, Corona Benchmark.

With its 8 physical cores, Zen manage to realise great results despite it's limited clockspeed of 3.3Ghz. Its coming dangerously - for Intel - close to the i7 6900k by offering performances on par with those of i7 5960x, which as the same clockspeeds. AMD's claims months ago seems to be accurate in real world results and that's an excellent news. Compared to the FX 8370, we notice a performance gain around 35% at the same clockspeed, close to the manufacturer's claims (40%).

*Performances - Gaming
Far Cry 4, GRID: Autosport, Battlefield 4, Arma III, X3: TC, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Anno 2070.

While the results may look disappointing for gaming, keep in mind that the prototype benchmarked was an octo-core with a low clockspeed (especially in Turbo mode). However, game performances are also tied to clockspeed and barely use more than 4 cores. Difficult in these conditions to draw a comparison with a i7 6700k, which's clockspeed is above 4Ghz. Despite all of that, Zen manage to show nice results that haven't been seen from AMD since a long time ago.

*Power consumption
Measured during load (in watts)

Zen's power consumption has been measured with an amperemetric claw on the ATX 12V port, at load. While this may be less accurate than our usual oscilloscopic measures, those still gives a good idea of the performances with the 14nm LPP process node from Global Foundries. Once we take into account the loss related to the VRM from the motherboard, we can estimate that its power consumption is slightly below 90W, a value close to a 6900k. Promising.

So this CPU and the new GPU (or a variant of it) will be what ends up in the Xbox Scorpio?

It's highly unlikely that Zen will be in Scorpio if Scorpio comes out in 2017 as MS says it will, AMD has stated in no uncertain terms that custom/semi-custom Zen SoC's will not be available until 2018. As for the GPU it's more of a tossup, it can be Vega or it can be a custom Polaris variant. A cut down Vega makes more sense than a custom Polaris with extra cores, to meet the expected performance at a console power envelope.

For the CPU, if Jaguar isn't used again, AMD might be able to make one of their Excavator variants work in console power envelopes, I believe Stoney Ridge is supposed to be the low power Excavator variant that AMD is working on.

Nikodemos

For the CPU, if Jaguar isn't used again, AMD might be able to make one of their Excavator variants work in console power envelopes, I believe Stoney Ridge is supposed to be the low power Excavator variant that AMD is working on.
Stoney Ridge only has one 'module' (1.5 traditional 'cores'). I'm pretty sure it's not going to cut it. I don't think Bristol Ridge is too likely either, since you'd end up with a gargantuan chip and that causes low yields.

thelastword

Banned
It's highly unlikely that Zen will be in Scorpio if Scorpio comes out in 2017 as MS says it will, AMD has stated in no uncertain terms that custom/semi-custom Zen SoC's will not be available until 2018. As for the GPU it's more of a tossup, it can be Vega or it can be a custom Polaris variant. A cut down Vega makes more sense than a custom Polaris with extra cores, to meet the expected performance at a console power envelope.

People keep forgetting that AMD has SR3, SR5 and SR7 skews for their Ryzen CPU, so some will be lower clocked, however, based on the conference we know the base mode will most likely be 3.4Ghz for all their CPU's with an uptick on the faster processors in the Ryzen class....

As for your comment, I've been meaning to do a breakdown on what I think will go in the Scorpio....My take is that Scorpio will be based on Raven Ridge Or Horned Owl.....The RR APU is due in 2017 with a 4 Core 8Thread Zen CPU with a PS4 level GPU or Vega. It looks like MS will have Scorpio built from a Raven Ridge base with it's 6TF GPU. There are two variations of Raven Ridge, one with a TDP of 4-35W and the other with a TDP of 35-95. I can see MS using a custom SOC with TDP along the lines of 35-95W.

I'm not so sure MS is quite concerned about compatibility issues with their current XB1 library, I think they already have that covered, so XB1 BC on Scorpio will be fine.

Same thing happens every time. I even get sucked into it sometimes :)

Yeah. They should temper expectations, I don't understand Lisa Su as this hype only benefits them temporarily, but long term it does more damage than any short-term spike in shares, as everyone will be disappointed, pushing them further to Intel.

Dunno about temporary benefits for AMD. Their share price has gone from a low of 1.8 to a high of 11.6 in a year.

Despite the 'same thing happening every time'.

They must be doing something right.

wildfire

Banned
The Ryzen results in that french article are fantastic. Proportionally accounting for the lower clockrate indicates it has the potential to be as good or better than the 6900K if the retail version matches the same clock rates.

Personally looking forward to having a high performing chip that supports hardware level hypersvisors. I'm not too thrilled with how Intel partitions features.

longdi

Banned
Dunno about temporary benefits for AMD. Their share price has gone from a low of 1.8 to a high of 11.6 in a year.

Despite the 'same thing happening every time'.

They must be doing something right.

I wanted to buy their shares! Kept forgetting about it....:/

Next will be Sony, things should be looking up next year, Spiderman, OLED, HDR TV...

longdi

Banned
The Ryzen results in that french article are fantastic. Proportionally accounting for the lower clockrate indicates it has the potential to be as good or better than the 6900K if the retail version matches the same clock rates.

Personally looking forward to having a high performing chip that supports hardware level hypersvisors. I'm not too thrilled with how Intel partitions features.

Seems to be rather efficient too...
If one can overclock to 4.5Ghz, it should close the gaming gap between 6700K.

I think AMD will sell top-end Ryzen at $599~749..directly targeting 6900K, not really cheap for most.

Btw is Ryzen the name of their new CPU line, or just the particular top-end model (ala Fury)

Should have kept the name as Zen, I dont think many consumer products starts with a 'R'

Durante

Those results seem pretty good, though the fact that they are just aggregates sadly prevent any more detailed conclusions. Power consumption is somewhat high given the clocks, but this might be affected by it being an engineering sample.

Whether they can take on Intel in the high-end or just compete on price in the sub-$400 range will be decided by what clocks the final version of the chip can reach.

Nachtmaer

Btw is Ryzen the name of their new CPU line, or just the particular top-end model (ala Fury)

It's probably gonna be the product name of the line-up, y'know like Core, Athlon, Phenom, etc. I liked Zen as a name too, but I remember someone saying it is harder to patent an existing name and all that stuff I know nothing about. Zen is still the name of the architecture though.

I have yet to see proof AMD said any such thing. That information, to my knowledge, comes from a single website of suspect credibility, that had a grand total of, what, maybe 8 stories up on the site? All signs point to Zen custom/semi-custom SoCs being ready 2017, not 2018. Even if they don't make it into desktop products by 2017, I see no reason it can't make it ahead of time into a console like Project Scorpio.

I find it very difficult to believe Project Scorpio won't have a Zen - Vega Combo. If it doesn't, the wait for release may seem all the more ridiculous. They couldn't honestly be waiting just for a Vega GPU. To make their power claims true, a Zen CPU of some kind makes the most sense. I don't see them going with much older AMD CPU tech when they had a realistic chance to get AMD's latest and greatest. Not happening.

Yes. Kind of random that they used that image and showed Xbox Project Scorpio. Why not just used the PS4 Pro since its already out?
Again I ask, could you not be bothered to watch the presentation? They did:

slide4jjmn.jpg

I have yet to see proof AMD said any such thing. That information, to my knowledge, comes from a single website of suspect credibility, that had a grand total of, what, maybe 8 stories up on the site? All signs point to Zen custom/semi-custom SoCs being ready 2017, not 2018.
You are incorrect. The information comes from the very large and reputable German tech site ComputerBase. The relevant quote is:

ComputerBase said:
Polaris soll nach dem Stand der Gerüchte auch in den kommenden überarbeiteten Konsolen von Microsoft und Sony stecken, dort werden sie aber weiterhin mit alten Prozessorkernen gepaart &#8211; entgegengesetzt einiger aktueller Medienberichte auch bei Microsofts Xbox Scorpio. Zen-Kerne und neue Grafik als Semi-Custom-Lösung soll es nicht vor 2018 geben, deutete AMDs Chefin Lisa Su in kleiner Runde an.

My translation:

"Polaris should also be in the upcoming revised consoles from Microsoft and Sony, but there it will still be paired with old processor cores--contrary to some recent media reports about Microsoft's Xbox Scorpio. Zen cores and a new GPU in a semi-custom solution should not arrive before 2018, indicated AMD President Lisa Su in a small roundtable."

PFD

I have yet to see proof AMD said any such thing. That information, to my knowledge, comes from a single website of suspect credibility, that had a grand total of, what, maybe 8 stories up on the site? All signs point to Zen custom/semi-custom SoCs being ready 2017, not 2018. Even if they don't make it into desktop products by 2017, I see no reason it can't make it ahead of time into a console like Project Scorpio.

I find it very difficult to believe Project Scorpio won't have a Zen - Vega Combo. If it doesn't, the wait for release may seem all the more ridiculous. They couldn't honestly be waiting just for a Vega GPU. To make their power claims true, a Zen CPU of some kind makes the most sense. I don't see them going with much older AMD CPU tech when they had a realistic chance to get AMD's latest and greatest. Not happening.

I'm sorry man, but you're setting yourself up for a disappointment

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lisa Su said fairly recently herself that they would not have semi custom Zen ready until 2018. There's no point in trying to hope for at this point IMO.

This puts Scorpio off the table unless Scorpio is delayed until that time. We can expect PS5 to have the first Zen semicustom console CPU if there is no change of plans.

My question is if it will be a lower clocked 8 core processor or a octo core variant.

From these benchmarks it seems even the early protype benchmarks are showing significant promise.

For the Jaguar CPU's which are inferior to any i3 variant made in the last 5 years, Zen is a sea change in computational power for consoles, which for the past 15 years have had CPU's at launch that were already far below the established CPU norms at the time.(not counting PS3 architectural anomaly)

Chobel

ComputerBase is a website of suspect credibility now? El Oh fucking El.

BTW, Lisa Su re-confirmed it, on tape this time https://cc.talkpoint.com/cred001/112816a_as/?entity=54_FBH3EQX. Go to 15:40

I talked about our Zen roadmap for our products, in terms of desktops, servers and notebooks, but one should expect Zen in our semi-custom roadmap as well as we look beyond 2017 into the 18/19 timeframe, and so we really do view this as developing foundational IP that can go into a number of different markets and we have good prospects in those areas.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Will Zen chips get some mini itx boards?

Does this mean I could get a high end CPU from AMD on a small board? Because that would be cool.

Will Zen chips get some mini itx boards?

Does this mean I could get a high end CPU from AMD on a small board? Because that would be cool.

That's less a question for AMD, and will depend on whether anyone will manufacture a mini ITX board with AM4. Can't see why not, tbh. After all, ASRock made a mini ITX board for socket 1151.

Top Bottom