• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese trademarks from Sega (Shenmue), Sony, Square Enix and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
SEGA
Shenmue

EiSdU.gif

SHENMOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

tumblr_m4qefrMGBY1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Exclusive to Xbone, PS4, Wii U or the fucking Ouya, I am so in. I hope they do an HD remake (or just an entire remake with new VAs and everything?), I don't remember what happened in the story and it'll be good to gather a new audience.

Shenmue fans are fucking hopeless, and this comes from someone who adores his Dreamcast copy.

The dream is dead people....just cherish the memories. And potential HD remakes.

JimiNutz

Banned
To be honest, if I had to bet real money I would bet on Shenmue not actually happening at all and this just being a trademark renewal or something for phones.

Shenmue is never gonna be a money maker. Whoever pays for exclusivity if far more likely to do it just to 'one up' the other and brag about how they're bringing fans what they want... Thats why I think it'd be MS.
It's just their mentality.

I won't believe it until I'm playing it. I won't get excited. I won't do anything differently.

I WOULD BUY ANY PLATFORM SOLELY FOR THIS GAME

Jomjom

Banned
Lol how do you know that ?

Whens the last time Sony dropped a load of money to completely fund a third party exclusive that is all but certain to lose money? MS's most recent attempt just released in March. Add on top of that Shenmue 2 was on Xbox. Add to that Spencer mentioning the series recently.

Just to be clear I dont even think that its really going to happen at all. Im just say IF, and thats a big IF.

HD port of Shenmue one that they are using to judge interest, must sell 10 million copies for Shenmue 3. Shenmue fans continue to cry... and us Mega Man fans will be there to give our shoulders for you... all the while hating you cause at least you got an HD remake of one.

StoopKid

Whens the last time Sony dropped a load of money to completely fund a third party exclusive that is all but certain to lose money? MS's most recent attempt just released in March. Add on top of that Shenmue 2 was on Xbox. Add to that Spencer mentioning the series recently.

Borderlands 2 vita ? Lol I have no clue

Fox Mulder

I want a new shenmue as much as anyone, but making a third after all this time would be stupid.

they have to release the two games again in some form first.

Just to be clear I dont even think that its really going to happen at all. Im just say IF, and thats a big IF.

Mentioning it means very little. Adam Boyes has mentioned that it's one of the games that he's received the most requests for. And Yoshida retweeted a message earlier this year from fans requesting Sony to fund the sequel.

They were friends during the xbox era as well and shenmue 2 still was xbox and dc exclusive. This means nothing. If it happens itll be on xbone. Business is business, friendship has nothing to do with it.

So you think that it's for sure gonna be Xbox exclusive and not PS exclusive, despite the picture of Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki together from when they were discussing the series two months ago, because of a deal that was made over 10 years ago, that was by no means an ongoing deal for the franchise, and Microsoft's apparent complete disinterest in the series since then?

at7o2kC.gif

Shenmue 1+2 HD'd is gonna get murdered in reviews when it comes to gameplay. The graphics have aged beautifully, but the gameplay for damn sure didn't. Fighting thugs with Ryo felt stiff as shit last time I played.

Gonna have to take some notes from Sleeping Dogs if the very unlikely Shenmue 3 were to happen.

Jomjom

Banned
So you think that it's for sure gonna be Xbox exclusive and not PS exclusive, despite the picture of Mark Cerny and Yu Suzuki together from when they were discussing the series two months ago, because of a deal that was made over 10 years ago, that was by no means an ongoing deal for the franchise, and Microsoft's apparent complete disinterest in the series since then?

at7o2kC.gif

10 years ago is better than never being associated with a platform at all right? And Cerny has been connected to Sony since the Ps1 and was friends with Suzuki from way back too. That didnt help at all.

They were friends during the xbox era as well and shenmue 2 still was xbox and dc exclusive. This means nothing. If it happens itll be on xbone. Business is business, friendship has nothing to do with it. Unless Cernys gonna personally drop millions in front of Suzuki, it dont mean a thing.
This. If it's going to be exclusive, it'll be Xbone exclusive.

Trademark doesn't mean much right?

It really doesn't mean much. It's probably a lot more telling that Sega of America lost the trademark earlier this year because they weren't doing anything with it.

Another example would be Skies of Arcadia. Sega filed a trademark for it back in 2012 and we haven't seen anything come from that. No remasters, no sequels. Nothing.

JimiNutz

Banned
HD port of Shenmue one that they are using to judge interest, must sell 10 million copies for Shenmue 3. Shenmue fans continue to cry... and us Mega Man fans will be there to give our shoulders for you... all the while hating you cause at least you got an HD remake of one.

The thing is, do Shenmue fans necessarily want a big budget AAA Shenmue 3?

To start with they should just HD port 1 and 2 for PSN and XBLA. That shouldn't be too expensive to do and they should make money.

Then they can make Shenmue 3 as a budget PSN or XBLA game just to finish the series. It doesn't have to be a massive AAA big budget holiday game.
It can just be a game that is made relatively cheaply for PSN or XBLA. That way it'll still look and feel similar to the HD ports.

Jomjom

Banned
It really doesn't mean much. It's probably a lot more telling that Sega of America lost the trademark earlier this year because they weren't doing anything with it.

Another example would be Skies of Arcadia. Sega filed a trademark for it back in 2012.

Yeah for all we know it could be Sega renewing the trademark so that they can make more Shenmue pachinko machines.

I'll count it as an enormous victory if we even get a mobile game out of it. Im going with pachinko or even worse.

Filaipus

Banned
Didn't they say that Shenmue III would need around a 150 million budget?
I REALLY don't think PS would finance that so that it would be Playstation Exclusive.

Zeppeli

Banned

at7o2kC.gif

Fun fact: It's not happening. For any system.

Trademark doesn't mean much right?

It means nothing when it's just a series title.

Hyunashi

Totally agree. If anyone will drop money on this it will be MS. I just cant see it selling well to justify Sony investing in it. Ideally, it should be muliplat IF it happens in the hopes of a more broader appeal. IF anything comes out of it though, I just expect a HD remaster.

Iwata announces renewed partnership with SEGA.

Drops Shenmue 3 for the Wii U on E3, is already 2 years in development, will release early 2015.

Imagine the tears on GAF.

Jomjom

Banned
Iwata announces renewed partnership with SEGA.

Drops Shenmue 3 for the Wii U on E3, is already 2 years in development, will release early early 2015.

Imagine the tears on GAF.

No tears here! My Wii U will be ready to come out of its hibernation from inside its sad cardboard box.

10 years ago is better than never being associated with a platform at all right? And Cerny has been connected to Sony since the Ps1 and was friends with Suzuki from way back too. That didnt help at all.

Yeah, but knowing that Cerny's talking to him about Shenmue 3 is more association between Sony and the title as of lately than Microsoft has with it currently. Just because it was on Xbox at one point doesn't mean 3's gonna be on it too. Final Fantasy started on Nintendo. Now, who's the only company without Final Fantasy coming to their system. Xenogears started on PlayStation, now Xenoblade and X are on Wii and Wii U. Titles change hands pretty frequently.

Hell, why does it have to be exclusive to one company anyway? I don't see Sony or Microsoft having any reason to buy exclusivity for a series that didn't sell well 10 years ago.

Yeah for all we know it could be Sega renewing the trademark so that they can make more Shenmue pachinko machines.

I'll count it as an enormous victory if we even get a mobile game out of it. Im going with pachinko or even worse.

It's certainly possible that it's being made. Earlier this year we had the quote from Eurogamer claiming that Suzuki told them that S3 was closer to being announced than it's ever been over the past decade. But on the other hand you have Suzuki saying that he'd look into possibly Kickstarting it. So it's really confusing. I think the only thing that seems for certain is that if it is being funded by anyone then it's isn't coming out for a long time. Two or three years away at a minimum.

MS didn't fully fund Titanfall, EA funded it to a point but the game wasn't coming together so MS stepped in and helped it along. And it wasn't guaranteed to lose them money, they were hoping it was gonna turn things around, sell consoles, and make them some of their money back.

Shenmue 2 was on the Xbox along with a lot of SEGA's other games, while they weren't on the PS2 even though they would've made a lot more money if they were multitplat. It was like a middle finger to the PS2 for completely eating the market and helping to put the Dreamcast down. Pretty sure it's water under the bridge since a decade passing and changing leaderships tend to do that.

Yu Suzuki and Mark Cerny were friends for a long time, but Mark wasn't as big a part of Playstation as he is now. Sure, he helped make some of the Playstation division's best games, but now he's the architect of the PS4. And Spencer might have been mentioning the series recently, but Cerny and Suzuki were talking about the game together. I'm not sure if being friends with the lead of a game will have it be on your system, but it can't hurt the odds.

If anything, it'll be a timed exclusive for the X1 if MS do fund it. SEGA's not gonna miss out on that PS4 paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom