• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

I'm just wondering how quiet they are and if they run cooler. I had to return two units near launch due to coil whine issues. I kept my third PS5 but if I close my door my room gets muggy feeling from a few hours of gaming. I'll be looking for posts about the fan noise level for sure.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What's sad is that we got more content and actual pics of the unit months before Sony even announce anything today with a digital render and not an actual unit.

Also. Glossy again you fucking retards ?

PS3 and PS4 never taught you anything about the fact your system look like shit Nd scratched to hell and ugly as fuck after couple of weeks ?

The word retard to the designing team doesn't even cut it.
Hopefully someone makes all matte aftermarket plates.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My comment was about the disc drive costing £99.99 (which is $120). Yeah it came with a stand that works in both, you put it in the middle and it hooks on the back.
maxresdefault.jpg

Oh shit I just realized what you were talking about. My bad.

They're selling a vertical stand SEPARATELY now whereas the one which came with all PS5's beforehand can be used both vertically *and* horizontally.

Yeah that's a pretty weirdly scummy omission to design two completely different stands for orientation.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Nintendo is doing great in Europe, the issue is Sony doesn't seem to care about how Nintendo is doing, their competitive responses and analyses all seem to be centred around Xbox and only Xbox (look at how Sony treats Japan where they have been curb stomped into irrelevance by Nintendo... but are still doing better than Xbox).

This is why I hope the Switch 2 is in PS5 ballpark so Sony is forced to pay attention.
Why do we care so much about the Japanese market, they are primarily focused on mobile now and nothing Sony does will change that unless they make a viable handheld competitor.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It was always ugly. Ugliest console by far.
Yeah I didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t ugly before. PS5 was definitely one of the ugliest designs I’ve seen. Back when it was first unveiled I thought maybe it’d be one of those things where you need to see it in person.

But in person it’s even uglier + comically huge. I feel sorry for the folks who don’t have enough room/ventilation in their entertainment systems so they have to stand it upright and have it dominate their living space.

This one is uglier but at least it’s easier to hide.

Tsaki

Tom Henderson redeemed (not that he was false about something else). PS5 Pro for Fall next year is his other leak.
1TB? Now I wanna know how they achieved this.

Still ugly and large but I like the add on disk drive.
Intreasting about the storage bump, the original config was that way because the chip arrangement. I wonder if they scrapped thet and just went with a fast ssd. Tear down will be intreasting at least.

Sleepwalker

One of the first things that caught my eye as well. Smart move by Sony to push new customers to the disc version and ensuring that physical games continue to thrive on the platform. :messenger_sunglasses:

It is also good news for repairability! A faulty blu ray drive would be easily replaceable by just purchasing a new one directly from sony.

I do worry that they left out the m.2 expansion from the spec sheet, that would actually make OG consoles a bit better ngl.

SenkiDala

Well as I expected the "fake leak lol" was real.

Good for people who don't already have a PS5, they can have it smaller. Sad though that the current market is like this, new model not coming with a lower price. Still remember buying a GameCube 99€ 2 years after release. But well, I mean they're selling like hotcakes, would be dumb to lower the price.

No change in specs is satisfying for day one owners like me, we'll quietly wait for a Pro version if it ever exists.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
There's no real incentive to buy the digital edition at this point, with the price increase.
Hey, what van I say?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ok, this one looks a little less ugly, is smaller and digital can finally be found by default. I may try giving it a chance next year.

Trogdor1123

Can someone tell me why the disk drive needs to be on the bottom? If it was on the top there wouldn’t be a need for a horizontal stand at all…

It is also good news for repairability! A faulty blu ray drive would be easily replaceable by just purchasing a new one directly from sony.

I do worry that they left out the m.2 expansion from the spec sheet, that would actually make OG consoles a bit better ngl.
Yeah, haven't thought about the repairability aspect with the disc now being detachable so that's a very good point and a win for the consumer. Also, agreed with the second part of your reply, kinda sus that the m.2 slot is not being mentioned on spec sheet of this new PS5 model. Hopefully DF or other gaming outlet will reach out and ask for clarification from Sony on that important aspect which oddly has been left out.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Almost afraid to ask... How do you guys end up with fingerprints all over your ps5?
Travel. I want to take this with me when I'm sitting in hotels during the week. I Had a PS4 slim with me last week and I would love to take a PS5 instead. Glossy finishes will be scratched all to hell.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The $50 price increase on the Digital Edition is brutal. Also, not including a vertical stand anymore. Removed front USB-A port, so it will be more of a pain to swap Pulse3d between PS5 and PC. It has segmented, glossy plates and looks ugly. What a shitfest.

PS5 Digital with matte black side plates is still the best looking PS5.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Why not just have 1 digital SKU and sell the add on drive separate to save on production cost?
Because your console sold in retail too, and you need a strong SKU to support your supply chain.

Sony is not here to kill physical or chain stores, if anything, new pricing is actually here to help them. Part of the reason why PS is so strong worldwide.

Elios83

Why not just have 1 digital SKU and sell the add on drive separate to save on production cost?

Because in that way you give up on the possibility to control the production mix and drive sales towards the more expensive/profitable model.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So they gave up on Cerny's weird drive configuration that forced the weird sizing?

That's interesting; wonder how the drive will perform vs. OG drives.

The price raise + removing stand from digital cracks me up lol Dominant Sony being dominant Sony.

Top Bottom