• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Microsoft studios uncovered by the LXP website

LXP sounds like they've actually helped out with some launch games already, so maybe they've always been "Uncredited MS Devs" who is now getting a proper name/studio to their banner?

Perhaps, plenty of Microsoft studios collaborate with each other or their independent partners (or even serve as incubation teams for small indies, like Lift London does) in addition to developing their own products.

And wasn't Dakota an off-shoot of FUSE Labs folks who made Kodu?

It has its roots in Microsoft Research, but it was still an unexpected surprise to see them form a new studio in another branch of Microsoft (and I was even more surprised to see Silicon Knights' Henry Sterchi with them).

Now I wonder if we'll ever see another game from the Path of Go people.

klodeckel

Banned
Okay, after some research on Linkedin and so on, these are some of the things I found out: most of these teams already existed for years internally at MS Studios. Or better: maybe not the teams, but the developers themselves.

Pretty much all of them were somehow involved in Kinect developement, app creation, small-medium sized games, tech demos or overall console design. However, they never had a real branding (Logo, name etc.). They started to give these teams a real "face" about 5 months ago. Pretty much around the time Phil became Head of Xbox. Kinect developement is probably pretty much done at this point. The next-generation of consoles is still too far away - so you do not need too many teams researching this now already. Also, they all seem to have open job positions on pretty much every role.

Now, so far, so good. The question now is: why would someome be interested in suddenly giving internal teams an actual branding? The only answer on this is that these teams will probably have some more public appearence in future. Some of the job listings suggest they work on games, some are very general.

I don't think they just created 6 studios developing AAA Xbox One games out of nowhere. That will not be the case. But I still think we will see some output of these teams in the future - be it apps or games.

klodeckel

Banned
I'd still doubt that, with one of the companies being named "Nui Publishing".

I inartfully expressed myself. What I wanted to say is: the research and developement on Kinect itself is done / not as much happening anymore as in the beginning of researching the Kinect technology. The device is available to buy, it won't change significanly. Of course you still need a team that will work on the software/OS level integration itself in future.

I don't think they just created 6 studios developing AAA Xbox One games out of nowhere. That will not be the case. But I still think we will see some output of these teams in the future - be it apps or games.

I don't think one can do that in this day and age.

Sure, a team of 10-20 could be hidden, but once you expand to over 50 and are basically hiring top-flight AAA talent, it's impossible to do that without projecting to the world that you need hundreds of people to make the game.

In the best case scenario, a pre-production team could be hidden, but games need to get out of pre-production to production eventually, and that will take hundreds of developers a minimum of two years full production. In other words, it's practically impossible to hide a AAA studio that is planning to release a game within 2 years.

Alx

I inartfully expressed myself. What I wanted to say is: the research and developement on Kinect itself is done / not as much happening anymore as in the beginning of researching the Kinect technology. The device is available to buy, it won't change significanly. Of course you still need a team that will work on the software/OS level integration itself in future.

Oh right I got it wrong. My bad. :p

klodeckel

Banned
I don't think one can do that in this day and age.

Sure, a team of 10-20 could be hidden, but once you expand to over 50 and are basically hiring top-flight AAA talent, it's impossible to do that without projecting to the world that you need hundreds of people to make the game.

In the best case scenario, a pre-production team could be hidden, but games need to get out of pre-production to production eventually, and that will take hundreds of developers a minimum of two years full production. In other words, it's practically impossible to hide a AAA studio that is planning to release a game within 2 years.

Y, I know. I wrote "I don't think ..." ;)

Alx

Yeah we don't need everything to be AAA. I'm fine with big budgets being limited to "safe" licenses like Halo, Gears or Fable, but have many "regular" games with more risks and creativity done on the side. Those can still become the safe licenses of tomorrow.
As a matter of fact, my favorite games of the previous gen were not AAA.

This just popped up on my twitter feed:

xboxjobs: Hot #Job! Join #Microsoft's State of the Art Studio (SOTA) as a #UX Visual Designer. Transform ideas into reality! http://t.co/aVN6wtvahi

Perceptive Pixel by Microsoft is changing the game with a new category of large screen touch products. Join the Perceptive Pixel Team and make your mark on our next generation of devices. The team is looking for an energetic Senior Electrical Engineering Architect who has a proven track record of designing, developing and releasing to manufacturing high quality complex products.

MS careers

screenshot2014-10-03afhu9z.png

screenshot2014-10-03ab7uc8.png

We're not getting anymore games studios are we :(

Hopefully these guys can stick around for awhile, it's pretty mind-boggling how many studios Microsoft has opened and closed over the last five years or so.

Leflus

Some interesting stuff is starting to pop up on Linkedin now:

I can finally post this :)
I Lead 4 amazing experience/game studios within XBOX that create amazing consumer experiences for Microsoft Hololens
Manage an organization of over 125 rockstars that want to change the world every single day.

-State Of The Art - Onsight - Hololens on MARS
-LXP - Holostudio - Build your own Holograms
-Good Science - Secret stuff
-FIT - Holobuilder / Minecraft on Hololens
-And 1 more secret project

Edit: Sorry for the bump. I hope it's okay.

It's better than converting existing studios to Hololens studios, I guess.

Still a bit disappointing though.

Well it seems that in the process they swallowed up Good Science Studios, or they became part of the team but this is not what Microsoft need at all, their first party studios line-up is very thin compared to Sony and Nintendo.

I'm personally of the opinion that Microsoft have a lot of work to do before they can afford to be spending time on something like AR tech for games.

I kind of had a sinking feeling when I read that all those studios were working on Hololens stuff as I wanted new AAA games.

I wasn't expecting AAA games from them, but I was expecting something I might vaguely be interested in, of which Hololens experiences do not fit that criteria.

amardilo

I wasn't expecting AAA games from them, but I was expecting something I might vaguely be interested in, of which Hololens experiences do not fit that criteria.

I wasn't expecting all those studios to make a big budget game but I was hopeful one of them would make one. Oh well...

Leflus

Well it seems that in the process they swallowed up Good Science Studios, or they became part of the team but this is not what Microsoft need at all, their first party studios line-up is very thin compared to Sony and Nintendo.

I'm personally of the opinion that Microsoft have a lot of work to do before they can afford to be spending time on something like AR tech for games.
Well. Good Science has only released kinect games so far, so the transition into HoloLens development seems like a natural step for the studio.
I was a little surprised to see GS on list actually. I thought that they had been absorbed into the mothership after the kinect craze died down.

I agree that Microsoft could use more internal AAA studios though. Especially on the PC front.

Raide

Kinectimals with Hololens. Make the room look like a jungle with trees and stuff. Then throw in the pets to play with as they navigate overgrown tables and chairs.

Well. Good Science has only released kinect games so far, so the transition into HoloLens development seems like a natural step for the studio.
I was a little surprised to see GS on list actually. I thought that they had been absorbed into the mothership after the kinect craze died down.

I agree that Microsoft could use more internal AAA studios though. Especially on the PC front.

They have opened a strategy game studio, I don't really think they need more PC specific studios, they can work with outside developers too.

Lionhead are working on PC, there will undoubtedly be cross-overs between Xbox One and PC development in their studios, they need more regular games studios though, they have a complete aversion to buying studios they have long-term partnerships with and when they finally open 4 new studios they're all on AR stuff which apart from probably being years away from giving us anything to actually play doesn't help them on Xbox One at all.

Leflus

They have opened a strategy game studio, I don't really think they need more PC specific studios, they can work with outside developers too.

Lionhead are working on PC, there will undoubtedly be cross-overs between Xbox One and PC development in their studios, they need more regular games studios though, they have a complete aversion to buying studios they have long-term partnerships with and when they finally open 4 new studios they're all on AR stuff which apart from probably being years away from giving us anything to actually play doesn't help them on Xbox One at all.
Not going to put any stock in Decisive Games until I hear the official word from Microsoft.

More regular studios would be great. They seem to have a good mix of studios in all shapes and sizes atm, but they should try to expand with 1 or 2 more AAA studio(s).

Ales

Neo Member
Some interesting stuff is starting to pop up on Linkedin now:

Edit: Sorry for the bump. I hope it's okay.

I am very disappointed the x1 needs new AAA exclusive from new first party and yet the resources are wasted in a technology-years away.

Ales

Neo Member

None of this is good news for x1 owners.Without true exclusive x1 becomes useless.I'd rather that the first party / second party would work only on x1.

Oh boy, hololens, eh? Well sure, there has to be some support for hololens, but I hope we can get 1 or 2 interesting original Xbox One games from these studios.

None of this is good news for x1 owners x1.Without the true exclusive x1 becomes useless.I'd rather that the first party / second party would work only on x1.

Microsoft doing games on PC is the reality whether Xbox One owners like it or not, PC is to Xbox what PSVita is to Sony, only presumably Microsoft are actually going to start releasing games for it.

Notice how on Steam very few if any of the Microsoft Studios games are Steamplay with Mac and Linux? Because they aren't Microsoft platforms and they aren't going to develop for platforms that aren't theres.

Top Bottom