• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Microsoft studios uncovered by the LXP website

Leflus

Ok, so we have a strategy game designer (Joe Thompson) making something for hololens. That may result interesting.
Oh wow. He's a part of Function Studios. That makes it six teams working on Hololens content.

(Platform Next Studios is working on Hololens as well.)

Right. We don't want Rare making Hololens games.
"You spoke, we listened. While we hope that you will try Project Spark, we also realise that gamers want something more. We are proud to finally announce a brand new game starring everyone's favourite squirrel. Conker's Bad VR Day, exclusive to HoloLens."

Ales

Neo Member
Microsoft doing games on PC is the reality whether Xbox One owners like it or not, PC is to Xbox what PSVita is to Sony, only presumably Microsoft are actually going to start releasing games for it.

Notice how on Steam very few if any of the Microsoft Studios games are Steamplay with Mac and Linux? Because they aren't Microsoft platforms and they aren't going to develop for platforms that aren't theres.

You're right, but this will lead to the death of x1.

rrc1594

First the Rumble now this

giphy.gif

You're right, but this will lead to the death of x1.

How so? I hate how much people think releasing games on the PC will kill the X1. It makes absolutely no sense. Some people on here won't buy it because they can use their PC, but the majority of console owners have no intention of using their PC.

If anything it strengthens the brand because MS will get more of a cut of the PC market which they can use to fund X1/PC development. The X1 will serve as their low cost entry for people into the market.

Ales

Neo Member
How so? I hate how much people think releasing games on the PC will kill the X1. It makes absolutely no sense. Some people on here won't buy it because they can use their PC, but the majority of console owners have no intention of using their PC.

If anything it strengthens the brand because MS will get more of a cut of the PC market which they can use to fund X1/PC development. The X1 will serve as their low cost entry for people into the market.

I remain convinced that bring out exclusive on pc cannibalize sales of x1 and users who already have a x1 will be induced to go to the competition.Since the x1 lose value in terms of content.Time will tell who is right.

DOWN

Banned
Trying to escape that Tomb Raider vs Uncharted moneyhat scandal. That's the right idea at least.

Zedox

I see nothing wrong with having Hololens studios. Seeing as Hololens is a computer running Windows 10, Xbox is a computer running Windows 10. Kinda seems to me that the next Xbox would be a Hololens. I'd rather them have studios making stuff for it now than wait till the thing is released and have no content for it.

Alx

Well I can't say I'm surprised, after reading again my post on the subject. :p They're studios working on innovative solutions indeed, and including natural user interface. Not sure about the middleware part.
Hopefully they'll start showing more stuff in the future. :)

Zedox

Well I can't say I'm surprised, after reading again my post on the subject. :p They're studios working on innovative solutions indeed, and including natural user interface. Not sure about the middleware part.
Hopefully they'll start showing more stuff in the future. :)

Middleware may be tools to help developers build stuff.

I much prefer this to the alternatives of taking up resources of studios working on Xbox One/PC content or heavily relying on third-parties. They need to lead the way.

Phil says they want to be like Nintendo in their output, so they open 4 new studios to make games for tech that could be years away, ridiculously expensive and might not even catch on, its like Kinect 3.0 except for... well it might not even be that successful.

They should be looking at bolstering their internal studios to make XB1/PC games, incubating ideas for Hololens and moving over when they have the experience as a team.

None of this is good news for x1 owners.Without true exclusive x1 becomes useless.I'd rather that the first party / second party would work only on x1.
How does first party games coming to windows hurt XB1 owners? I hear this often and there really isnt any logic to it.

enMTW

Banned
Phil says they want to be like Nintendo in their output, so they open 4 new studios to make games for tech that could be years away, ridiculously expensive and might not even catch on, its like Kinect 3.0 except for... well it might not even be that successful.

They should be looking at bolstering their internal studios to make XB1/PC games, incubating ideas for Hololens and moving over when they have the experience as a team.

Dude, I hate to break it to you....but there is more to Microsoft than just Xbox. Hololens stuff needs to be developed before it launches. MS set up studios to do that. This is ok.

Dude, I hate to break it to you....but there is more to Microsoft than just Xbox. Hololens stuff needs to be developed before it launches. MS set up studios to do that. This is ok.

Im aware of that, but we've been down this road before with Kinect. They seem to have this fascination with some sort of gimmick, im not saying they shouldnt develop Hololens games, or that they shouldnt have developed Kinect games, they should but that seems to be entirely where their expansions go into - iirc Black Tusk when it was Microsoft Game Studios Vancouver were developing a Kinect FPS which got canned and they rebranded etc

We've seen this path before, now Big Park make apps, Good Science is... well im not even sure they exist anymore, Soho moved over to apps (Upload Studio is pretty cool so fair enough), Rare are now coming back from Kinect after great success admittedly, Lionhead went Kinect and their game absolutely utterly and entirely bombed.

Their first party studio size for regular ol' games is not that big, they dont seem to want to expand them to be multi-game studios and I dont think its such an entirely unreasonable thing to be a bit disappointed to see that yet again they expanding and its going towards yet more expensive add-on tech, especially as they say they want to be like Nintendo, yet are (imo) well away from doing that.

Let's hope they turn out to be good, full fledged titles. It's about time MS started working on that side of their first since since atm they completely pale in comparison to Sony and Nintendo's offering. I also look forward to seeing if Black Tusk can deliver a Gears on the level of the original 3.

Thing is MS did develop new studios but unfortunately they are to take over on other games it seems. Black Tusk is now in charge of gears (I'm excited about gears for sure but I would have loved a new IP). 343 was built to take over Halo. I think its time to get 1 or 2 more big triple A studios. It doesn't seem likely that epic will be making another gears-esque deal with MS so unless they grab a couple 3rd party deals similar to a gears of war deal they might want to start building more first party. Maybe insomniac will keep working with MS. IDK. There could be some surprises at e3.

Insomniac is creating reboot of R&C for Sony.

Insomniac have 2 teams, the SO team at their main studio and I think there other office has been making the R&C games for a while now, no reason to think they can't keep working with MS and Sony (or at least, 2 different publishers)

Project Spark still exists though, doesn't it?

edit: I guess what I'm saying is that the image update without context makes it seem worse. They're closing studios but also restructuring I guess.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BigPark, Function, Good Science, LXP, Press Play and Sota are missing from the new image, did this happen recently?

Not that these studios ever actually produced something, but it's weird if they just all went and vanished.

The person making the tweet suggests the changes occurred in the last 24 hours.

Top Bottom