• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS exclusive games getting black case in Europe

Shiggy

You don't need to spend 6 hours a day on NeoGAF to realise that a different colour case with a different cover design is probably for a different system. I'm sorry, but if people are stupid enough to require it spelt out in huge letters every time, then fuck them. Stupidity should not be catered to, and should be punished.

Could just be a special edition which often have a different colour case and sometimes a different cover design. It's not that clear to an uninformed person who doesn't know about a new 3DS. There's a reason why Nintendo added an info box for the Face Training boxart:
PS_NDS_FaceTraining_enGB.png

And yes, people need to be told explicitly when it's a mass market game - that's why so many 3DS games have a sticker saying that the game is also compatible with the 2DS.

For Xenoblade Chronicles 3D it's probably a non-issue as nobody (in the uninformed kids/casual segment) will really care about the game and Nintendo will probably not push it with a heavy marketing campaign.

L~A

Well, we all know there'll "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH NINTENDO 3DS, NINTENDO 3DS XL AND NINTENDO 2DS SYSTEMS" in big red letters on the back of the box anyway.

At least, they didn't put in on the front (like that DSi game box) or the warnings for the digital games sold at retail.

TheMoon

Shibata: we heard that you liked those black boxes used in Japan for mature-rated games. Well, I'm proud to announced that all New Nintendo 3DS game will get one, regardless of their rating!*

* only one New Nintendo 3DS exclusive game planned for now. Please understand.

He really does love me! :D

I like! I hope there's a reversible cover. I love the one on my wii copy, and I'm not a fan of the black bar on top.
3DS reversible covers seemed to die early in the systems life (remember a few games used to take advantage of the holey 3DS boxes to put graphics into the holes?)

TheMoon

I can think of like 2 3DS games (NSMB2 and Pokemon ORAS, both in Europe) and 2 Wii games (NSMBWii and Pandoras Tower) that came in a non-standrd colour.

It really is not that common at all.

Edit: Oh, and Mario Kart 8 in the US.

Mario & Sonic at he olympics had a yellow case. I recall some other weird game in a yellow case, too but not sure.

SM3DW, SM3DL and MK7 have been reissued in red cases in North America last year, btw.

3DS reversible covers seemed to die early in the systems life (remember a few games used to take advantage of the holey 3DS boxes to put graphics into the holes?)

The insides having artwork on them to view through the holes isn't really a reversible cover, though. Reversible covers are meant to be reversed and used as alternate covers. Which those were not. Those were cool gimmicks for when you open the cases and see artwork in those eco-case holes.

Bazry

I can think of like 2 3DS games (NSMB2 and Pokemon ORAS, both in Europe) and 2 Wii games (NSMBWii and Pandoras Tower) that came in a non-standrd colour.

It really is not that common at all.

Edit: Oh, and Mario Kart 8 in the US.

The standalone New Super Luigi U comes in a Green case, at least in Europe it does

beril

they can't really make a big deal out of unremarkable underlying specs, not that it really fits with their marketing style anyway.

the word of mouth they will automatically get in the enthusiast forums and press will be more than enough to cover it.

What I meant was if they'll utilise the specs for exclusive games or not, not necessarily make big PR claims about hardware power.

For now they have one Wii-port that they couldn't get to run on an original 3DS; but for any new game built from ground up for 3DS it's probably not worth cutting out 90% of the install base for the extra juice, but safer to scale back the project itself a bit and maybe let New 3DS get a bit better performance and better textures while still using the original hardware as a baseline.
Since we haven't heard about any more exclusives yet I'm thinking the extra hardware power was probably mostly meant mostly for non gaming uses and for the facetracking 3D; and the possibilities of more demanding games like Xenoblade was more of a bonus than a goal.

Neat, looks a lot better than the NA white version.

Also should help relieve at least a little confusion over 3DS/n3DS compatibility, though with the stupid system name there's only so much that can be done on that front. Still, it's better than nothing.

Despite the big label, different coloured boxes, etc. i wonder how long before someone with an old 3ds buys one and complains when it doesn't work...and sells the story to the tabloids

Wildean

I agree but I guess Nintendo probably won't release their more kid friendly games (Mario, Pokemon etc) for the N3DS?

Why wouldn't they? Pokemon probably not because it's not controlled by Nintendo really and Pokemon Company or whoever makes that call will probably insist they support 3DS, but I can definitely see some Mario or something like that cropping up on it (Galaxy 1 was conspicuous by its absence when they revealed the new downloadable Wii games for Wii U).

L~A

Despite the big label, different coloured boxes, etc. i wonder how long before someone with an old 3ds buys one and complains when it doesn't work...and sells the story to the tabloids

They didn't manage to make any noise with the so-called 'headache problems' of the 3DS at launch, which was a potentially more serious issue.

They wont give this a single glance, not enough shock and selling power. They don't care about toys for nerds ;)

Son Of D

You don't need to spend 6 hours a day on NeoGAF to realise that a different colour case with a different cover design is probably for a different system. I'm sorry, but if people are stupid enough to require it spelt out in huge letters every time, then fuck them. Stupidity should not be catered to, and should be punished.

People still think the Wii U is an add-on for the Wii. And look how different their box art banners are:

jhCliF622pAtM.jpg

Not to mention the Wii has a white box and the Wii U has a blue box.

I hope NoA doesn't follow suit. Unless it says "Only for New Nintendo 3DS XL," we'll just be really confused and probably try to play it on a 2DS, which is a 3DS*, but neither a 3DS nor a DS, but also not a New Nintendo 3DS, or a New Nintendo 3DS XL, which isn't a 3DS XL.

Greenlock

Neo Member
Sure hope they release a limited edition xenoblade 3dsXL. Missed out on the mayoras mask one and the monster hunter didn't look too good imo.

People should be "punished" because Nintendo aren't great at naming things?

Nintendo fans take no prisoners.

L~A

All this debate about whether or not it's effective to make sure people don't buy this game for the OG3DS makes me wonder what the 4DS boxes will be like... they won't be able to just change the position of the logo banner this time around :p

BooJoh

All this debate about whether or not it's effective to make sure people don't buy this game for the OG3DS makes me wonder what the 4DS boxes will be like... they won't be able to just change the position of the logo banner this time around :p

It would be really stupid if they actually called it 4DS. But I guess it would be better than "Newer 3DS XL."

TheMoon

Donut shape.

For the NintenDonut.

L~A

Interesting fact.... Japan will get regular white boxes for the N3DS exclusive games.

Makes sense, since they're using black boxes for Cero C and D games already.... would be confusing to change.

Top Bottom