• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

So making it to the centre of the universe is actually going to be feasible or are they just mentioning that to convey the game never truly ends?

legacyzero

Banned
How does warp/teleport/whatever work?

It seemed like Sean could just select a random planet in the demo and travel there instantly. What prevents me from just travel to the centre of galaxy immediately?

Sean was in Debug when he was playing. Notice when he said "I have it set to always warp in close to a beacon." during the stage demo.

That implies to me that you wont necessarily be doing that. Also, the lines that connected the stars on the star map are only as far as you can go with your currently level of fuel. He just bypassed that to show the game.
What you described wasn't anything like a bonfire though. You just described a save point. The difference between a bonfire and a save point is that you lose much less progress with a bonfire (keep items obtained for example) and you have a chance to get lost experience back.

LOL Come on. That's not what I said. I didn't say PROGRESS, I said "shit". You lose the shit you've collected if you dont make it to a beacon.

That's not what I said at all.

What you described wasn't anything like a bonfire though. You just described a save point. The difference between a bonfire and a save point is that you lose much less progress with a bonfire (keep items obtained for example) and you have a chance to get lost experience back.

kamakazi5

The only thing I want to know is more about the crafting. What does crafting on an "atomic level" mean? This will be what makes me keep playing the game. I enjoy exploration but there are only so many hours I can do that without losing interest.

The ten person development team is what keeos me from being a believer. I am hyped though and it sounds great but I hooe thete is depth in the planets or else it will get boting after a few weeks when you see the same animal with different ears 100 times.

uFyb.png

THAT

THAT IS A PERSON

AT LAST

Wait, what? I thought it was called the Atlas? Interesting though that they mention you upload your discoveries through the beacons to it (it's the octahedron from the trailers etc.), I don't think we knew that before.

It's also interesting we're hearing more about this "crafting", whatever it actually does and how it actually works.

Btw, there should be a Gamespot livestream in about an hour and a half, 5:20 PT.

If you kill too many creatures or deplete a planet's valuable resources, your “wanted” level will go up, and the planet’s “Sentinels” will come after you.

This kind of killed the buzz for me. So every planets has already been explored in some fashion, at least remotely, with these Sentinels in place to protect them? Or is every world already home to an intelligent race with its own defensive capabilities? Either way, seems unlikely.

The planet they showed in Sony's conference looked like it had life, but not human intelligence level life. But it had giant mechanical sentinels. I don't want to be the first one there, not counting beacons and sentinels. I want to be the first one there, full stop.

bombshell

You are playing it wrong....

Seem to be how upgraded your ship is. There must be a range for the warp drive.

Sean was in Debug when he was playing. Notice when he said "I have it set to always warp in close to a beacon." during the stage demo.

That implies to me that you wont necessarily be doing that. Also, the lines that connected the stars on the star map are only as far as you can go with your currently level of fuel. He just bypassed that to show the game.

Yeah, you're right. Just re-watched the E3 demo and he mentions in the beginning when he only zooms out to the current solar system that those are the ones he could warp to with the current warp drive. The way he warped must have been for demo purposes.

The map will most likely not tell you which planet is the center, also you will not have infinite warp capabilities. Small jumps dude.

https://youtu.be/mGy8HIYBwV0?t=2m23s

At this timestamp he seems to imply that you know where the centre of the universe is, but as mentioned above the warp drive is probably limited in range.

I have a bunch of questions:

What does it mean to craft atomically?

And, while you can destroy the environment, I wonder how deep this will be?

The planet in the demo when zoomed out seemed to be the same throughout, will there be planets that are diverse like earth?

I doubt there will be destruction where you can explore and find something like a cave? Underground chambers? Mountains to explore? Deep, deep seas with variable sea creatures at different depths?

You can't build in the world, but it seems you can destroy. Personally, I think building things would have been awesome, but I can understand that it's not that kind of game. For example, what if you chose to have a "home" planet, where you bring in properties from other planets, and you built a whole world/homebase there?

Is the crafting as variable as the resources/planets/things you discover, or will they share similar traits or inherent properties?

Can you discover other players, team up with them, combat other players? I can't recall hearing information about this.

Do the sentinels/guardians have varying levels of design/difficulty? Are they the only threat on planets?

I hope they reveal more soon, I am curious.

legacyzero

Banned
This kind of killed the buzz for me. So every planets has already been explored in some fashion, at least remotely, with these Sentinels in place to protect them? Or is every world already home to an intelligent race with its own defensive capabilities? Either way, seems unlikely.

The planet they showed in Sony's conference looked like it had life, but not human intelligence level life. But it had giant mechanical sentinels. I don't want to be the first one there, not counting beacons and sentinels. I want to be the first one there, full stop.

Sean has said that not every planet has Sentinel presence.

Think of the universe as a giant, living organism
The Sentinels are the white blood cells, or disease fighters
They bow to no one and have no master save the universe itself
They are the Last Guardians(Noragrets) of a planet's safety.

Sounds good, and I'm all in. I don't remember hearing about it, but does this have multiplayer? Can my friends and I fly through space and explore planets?

All planets have sentinels. It's weird, I agree. But I guess that's the design choice they went with. I suppose there needs to be some resistance to you destroying everything, perhaps they could have chosen something less ... advanced?

did they say some planets have life that is hostile/strong?

Sean has said that not every planet has Sentinel presence.

Oh, I may have heard wrong then

Epcott

So if your notoriety goes up and you constantly fight with military and Sentinels, will it stay that way Indefinitely? Or does it reset after a given time of docile gaming?

On one hand, I want it to stay high unless you do something to prove yourself to get it down (otherwise it'll be too easy to abuse the system). On the other hand, it'll be a real pain trying to survive to reach the next Altus if you're constantly infamous (and even after you reach one/save).

Think of the universe as a giant, living organism
The Sentinels are the white blood cells, or disease fighters
They bow to no one and have no master save the universe itself
They are the Last Guardians(Noragrets) of a planet's safety.

Well, shit, man. We could use a few of those on this planet.

Pimpbaa

Basically a prettier Elite but with planetary landings (yes I'm aware there was an Elite game with planetary landings and E:D plans to have this in the future) and less interaction with other players. Should be A LOT more fun to explore in this however. One thing, the planets are not planet sized. Unless the acceleration of your ship is making them seem small. The footage at E3, you were down to the planets surface within seconds.

Permanently A

So, how does getting to the center of the universe work? Do you need to collect resources for fuel or what?

I feel like if getting to the center is too easy the game will be boring. I personally have no interest just exploring without any purpose.

Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.

I agree, although you could argue that there's a limit to how much scale is important in that case, because movement speed is also a crucial factor. Meaning, you could have a relatively small planet but have a very slow movement speed, or a real scale Jupiter planet but you can run really fast and fly through the atmosphere with your spaceship, so it wouldn't matter regarding the time spent needed to, say, completely cover the entire planet.

But yeah, from the previews at least, they look big, but not as big as they can be. Seeing that they're most probably one biome per planet and that you'd most probably get bored pretty quickly if you wanted to just explore that one planet, it's shouldn't be really that much of an issue. I would love slower planetfall and just a grander scale though, that would be great.

How does warp/teleport/whatever work?

It seemed like Sean could just select a random planet in the demo and travel there instantly. What prevents me from just travel to the centre of galaxy immediately?

Just like in any space exploration/trading sim, your ship has a hyperdrive with limited capacity. The lines connecting several stars in the galaxy map show your sphere of reach. So far through all of the previews Sean's done he's used godmodes and cheats to quickly jump through the galaxy (and he's mentioned several times that you won't be able to do that in the actual game), just to show its scale. So yeah, you'll start with a weak engine and jump small distances. As you buy better ships with better engines (requiring more fuel), you'll be able to jump greater distances etc.

EDIT:
Beaten and crushed by the gravity of 18 quintillion stars.

legacyzero

Banned
Why do people keep complaining about the ATLUS in the title? It's a thing in the game :p

I have a bunch of questions:

What does it mean to craft atomically?
This is brand new news, so I'm not sure yet

This is my question too. Sean said "Fully destructible" during the conference.

The planet in the demo when zoomed out seemed to be the same throughout, will there be planets that are diverse like earth?
Sean said that planets will only have one Biome. For now.

I doubt there will be destruction where you can explore and find something like a cave? Underground chambers? Mountains to explore? Deep, deep seas with variable sea creatures at different depths?
He has hinted to this, And so did the New Yorker article where the journalist said, that during the demo he saw, Sean blew a huge chunk out of the earth with rockets, but he didn't want to show people that just yet, because he's too afraid of Minecraft comparisons

You can't build in the world, but it seems you can destroy. Personally, I think building things would have been awesome, but I can understand that it's not that kind of game.
Correct. Unfortunately :( Sean did mention liking the idea of building personal space stations though. Possible future update?

Is the crafting as variable as the resources/planets/things you discover, or will they share similar traits or inherent properties?
Unknown as of yet.

Can you discover other players, team up with them, combat other players? I can't recall hearing information about this.
You CAN happen upon other players and play with them. But it doesn't sound like PVP combat is an option as of yet. Sean DID say that he wants to see a "traditional MP mode down the line"

Do the sentinels/guardians have varying levels of design/difficulty? Are they the only threat on planets?
YES. Sean DID say that, the closer you get to the center of the galaxy, the more difficult the Hostile life and Sentinels will become
I hope they reveal more soon, I am curious
Answers bolded

Hackworth

I hope there's not too many copy/paste art assets when visiting planets.
Depends on how good the procedural generation is, I guess.

This is my question too. Sean said "Fully destructible" during the conference.
I'm going to leave a trail of dead planets in my wake.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A game like this, highly based around exploring and gathering materials... I'm going to sink so much time into it. I cannot wait!

As long as there isn't a shitty mechanic (like managing corruption in Terraria, for an indie example) I guess that I'll be able to play this game for a long time.

Top Bottom