• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

cjp

Some of the (creature) life you encounter will be hostile/predatory, right?

I want to come across some alien apex predators.

As a someone from EU I almost thought I'd have to wait 6 months longer for the game to come out here than in the US. Not cool.

Well it's being created by a team in England, so don't worry.

0racle

I think this game will be EXTREMELY shallow. Hear me out.

I think we need to stop asking questions on what it is. What we see is what we get. It's a very simplistic "game" were the only hook is very basic exploration. The appeal is the randomly generated environments and the sense of discovery attached to that.

The narrative will be non existent and I feel will play out like a F2P mobile game without the in app purchases....I hope

The game will simply revole around basic crafting in order to be able to explore more...be it jet pack fuel or warp distances....to bullets etc.

I don't mean to sound like I know 100% because I'm likely wrong, but from what we have seen it seems very plausible. And judging by the presenters nervousness and lack of confidence I feel even he knows we will be disappointed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. I am so looking forward to this. I doubt it hits in 2015, though :(

Why do people keep complaining about the ATLUS in the title? It's a thing in the game :p

Answers bolded

Thank you very much.

The shocking news to me is the depth of destructibility.

Minecraft comparisons may be frightful, I understand why he'd feel that way, but I have to say, Minecraft does a great job of filling the feeling of discovery and exploration.

If the game truly allows you to blow a chunk out of the ground and find a vast cave or something, that'd be freaking awesome.

If you could manipulate water to drain from a lake, that'd just be so damn impressive.

These comparisons may be inspired by MC, but I would love to see it happen.

I do wish that if DLC/support is considered, it will be towards being able to build and construct. He mentions crafting, combat, and survival...but I think building should be a component too.

I think it'd do wonders if people were able to build from all these worlds.

Everyone is so curious about this game, the devs hold back (totally within their right to do that), and it sounds so good to be true. Hopefully it pays off. I am definitely interested, and hope they do well.

bombshell

I think we need to stop asking questions on what it is. What we see is what we get. It's a very simplistic "game" were the only hook is very basic exploration. The appeal is the randomly generated environments and the sense of discovery attached to that.

The narrative will be non existent and I feel will play out like a F2P mobile game without the in app purchases....I hope

The game will simply revole around basic crafting in order to be able to explore more...be it jet pack fuel or warp distances....to bullets etc.

I don't mean to sound like I know 100% because I'm likely wrong, but from what we have seen it seems very plausible.

Sean has said time and time again that he doesn't want to reveal too much about the game, because that would defeat its exploration and discovery purpose.

And judging by the presenters nervousness and lack of confidence I feel even he knows we will be disappointed.

Haha, no that's not why Sean is always nervous on stage.

Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.
They didn't say you could fully explore a world in a few days. They said you could spend a few days exploring one. Subtle, but important difference there.

"You can literally craft items on an atomic level by using blueprints you find in the game."

Bullshit. This is a buzzword
Not having any idea what IGN were actually told, I suspect Hello Games told them that crafting is done atomically, in the jargon sense. Meaning, you build stuff by assembling discrete, unalterable components. Look at weapon crafting in the new Fallout for an example.

How does warp/teleport/whatever work?

It seemed like Sean could just select a random planet in the demo and travel there instantly. What prevents me from just travel to the centre of galaxy immediately?
Sean said that the jump drive you start with has a fairly limited range, but you can improve its range through gameplay. As Xam says below, he used Demo Magic to give himself a drive with unlimited range. (He may have had a magic scanner too…)

Demo magic
Also, I think you can only warp to discovered planets(Planet E3, contrary to what you might think, wasn't randomly picked)
Sean explicitly said that it was, and as such, he didn't know if it was gonna exhibit horrific bugs, or even whether or not it had already been explored by one of the other devs in the past. Notice that when he did his initial scan after landing, he was quite disappointed to discover there were no lifeforms near his landing site, because he was hoping to demonstrate that too.

For some reason I thought the galaxy was connected, i.e. you come across a planet and rename it, then when someone else happens to come across that planet in their game, they see what you've named it etc.

Is that not the case?

Aces&Eights

What is going to really make this game for me is if they release it on Morpheus. I'd still like it, I'm sure, if I just played it on console but all that exploring with VR would just be fantastic.

And judging by the presenters nervousness and lack of confidence I feel even he knows we will be disappointed.

FFS, So, if you made something then had to get on a stage with thousands of people staring at you, cameras pointing at you and broadcasting your words and image to tens of thousand of people across the world, all the while your face is melting from the lights and your voice echoing into the auditorium, that you would be all cool as shit and talking normal?

OK.

Pimpbaa

I don't mean to sound like I know 100% because I'm likely wrong, but from what we have seen it seems very plausible. And judging by the presenters nervousness and lack of confidence I feel even he knows we will be disappointed.

You make it sound like there are no games out like it before. Elite games have been around since 1984. And they have did just fine without a narrative.

theWB27

Or the nervousness could be because these guys aren't used to standing on a stage presenting anything in front of that many people?

As long as you play online, that's correct.

Yes, that's the case.

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't made that up in my head.

That's a lot of the game's appeal to me.

I don't care about playing with other people but I feel it's important to feel a sense of ownership over things you discover.

The idea of finding things that you know NO-ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD has seen is mindblowing to me.

Danlord

uFyb.png

THAT

THAT IS A PERSON

AT LAST

What is the source for that picture? Is it official or fan-art?

GodofWine

Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.

There all small planets...and fast ships...maybe ??? :)

I'm still leaning "it still looks huge but dull", but pulling for something to sway me to "this looks huge and fun"...I need to see this combat / pirate stuff.

Sorry if this has been posted or known for awhile, but do we know the price of this game? It sounds really interesting, but watching it it looks average (albeit the small samples we have seen).

Not having any idea what IGN were actually told, I suspect Hello Games told them that crafting is done atomically, in the jargon sense. Meaning, you build stuff by assembling discrete, unalterable components. Look at weapon crafting in the new Fallout for an example.

There was a mention earlier today or yesterday(?) about crafting, you destroy colored crystal structures and automatically gather its resources which are chemical compounds, and then you combine these chemicals into more expensive/quality ones that you then sell (and I'm assuming trade) for profit. It's probably a part of the unique "periodic table of elements" they've been mentioning before. The whole thing about "crafting" is news but it sounds to me it might be just simple resource gathering and combining these elements to create new ones that are tradable.

Danlord

Questions!

Will there be a Photo Mode on PS4?

Can you remove all UI HUD elements?

EDIT: I thought they were interviewing someone from Hello Games, hence my questions :/

Vol5

It's not the gameplay that worries me, it's the network infrastructure. So if I've got this right everyone will be playing in a shared galaxy...and you can bump into other people flying around (although rare but the game has to keep track of it anyway), plus every planet will be shared when found with all it's intricacies and life....

That's a fuck load of data to keep track of in real time. It doesn't sound like there will be a beta either. I'd be really interested in how Hello plan to deliver this.

It's not the gameplay that worries me, it's the network infrastructure. So if I've got this right everyone will be playing in a shared galaxy...and you can bump into other people flying around (although rare but the game has to keep track of it anyway), plus every planet will be shared when found with all it's intricacies and life....

That's a fuck load of data to keep track of in real time. It doesn't sound like there will be a beta either. I'd be really interested in how Hello plan to deliver this.

I don't think you see other people? I don't think there's PVP or anything. I could be wrong.

But yes, the data management will be tricky, I hope it works.

schwing.gif

There was a mention earlier today or yesterday(?) about crafting, you destroy colored crystal structures and automatically gather its resources which are chemical compounds, and then you combine these chemicals into more expensive/quality ones that you then sell (and I'm assuming trade) for profit. It's probably a part of the unique "periodic table of elements" they've been mentioning before. The whole thing about "crafting" is news but it sounds to me it might be just simple resource gathering and combining these elements to create new ones that are tradable.
Yeah, could be both, actually. Even in Fallout, even though a given component can't really be altered, it still requires some specific raw materials to create it. So, maybe you need Rubber and Adhesive to make a Grip for an item, but the Grip itself is unalterable. There could be an Improved Grip, made from an Adhesive and two pieces of Rubber.

Vol5

I don't think you see other people? I don't think there's PVP or anything. I could be wrong.

But yes, the data management will be tricky, I hope it works.

OK, yeah. Didn't do my homework. Looks like your on your own. Could have sworn that Hello said you could meet up in space (however likely).

legacyzero

Banned
Just give us the damn release date already.

Release date-wise, Sean mentioned last night on the PC Gamer conference that they WERE going to announce a date, but for "reasons" they couldn't.

I have a HUGE suspicion that they were aiming for November, but when Fallout 4 was announced for that timeframe, as well as like 80 MILLION other games, they were probably like "nahhhh we're moving it."

The whole "crafting on an atomic level" thing probably means those elements you collect out in the world (which, IIRC, sounded like straight up elements from the periodic table) are what you use to make things.

Like, I can see the game having you combine X carbon and Y silicon or whatever in order to make things.

Release date-wise, Sean mentioned last night on the PC Gamer conference that they WERE going to announce a date, but for "reasons" they couldn't.

I have a HUGE suspicion that they were aiming for November, but when Fallout 4 was announced for that timeframe, as well as like 80 MILLION other games, they were probably like "nahhhh we're moving it."

Maybe Sony are planning some sort of splash release, maybe at PSX.

"Play it now!"

Trouble

Banned
ineedthis.gif

I can't wait to play this game. I may be more excited about this game than any other upcoming game. It pushes all my old-school scifi nerd buttons.

Man, this image really makes me wish there was a third person camera option, where you could customize your pilots outfit and gear. The art is just so awesome.

Shhh, no art now, only procedures.

umbra

Only checked the thread to see if atlus was right or not and, as expected, it was mispelled... that should really be fixed.

I really hope we get to play this in 2015. It's my most anticipated game at the moment!
I have to see this as Fall 2016 at the earliest. They said they would be announcing a release date soon for the game when they were on stage at the Sony E3 conference.

You mean not Earth-sized? Planets come in lots of sizes. Are these not as big as, say, Mercury, our smallest planet (and roughly the smallest possible by our current definition, IIRC)?

Epcott

Ugh, I need this game in beta noa!

I got a NMS lanyard at the E3 Experience with a code and was so hoping it was for a beta, not a random $5 gift mystery email from Sony... heh!

Please let there be a beta this year.

They'd have to be pretty out-of-touch to not know that 80 million games were coming out in November, whether they were announced or not. It's the month when half the games of any given year launch.

Top Bottom