• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

amnesiac

So the social aspect seems very much like Dark Souls. It's intentionally limited, which kinda blows. If they follow through on PC modification, surely we can change that.

They've stated that they'll add a more-standard multiplayer mode as an update if the game does well enough to warrant doing so.

Zantar

Neo Member
For the "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?!" crowd. Watch this video:

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6238913

(Skip to 14:16:00)

OH MY GOD WHY AREN"T WE SEEING THIS SHIT?! :(

That showed me absolutely nothing other than that my earlier notions about this "game" was true.

It's not a game. It's a walking simulator.

It was a video of a guy getting really excited up at how how they've made a game where you have the ability to accomplish nothing.

He actually described the amazingness of the game as giving you the opportunity to do a similar thing as being able to stand still in minecraft and just dig. You can do whatever you want, it's just that whatever you want is essentially pointless and achieves nothing.

I mean, that's great, but it misses the bigger picture. Minecraft has a purpose, it's a sandbox with lots of options of things to do. Sitting around digging is not the sole thing you can do. No Man's Sky does not have options or anything meaningful to do aside from explore random procedurally generated planets. It's a walking simulator.

It may be other people's cup of tea and that's wonderful. It's clearly not for me.

EDIT: My mistake, there are other things to do like crafting and trading apparently. Unless those systems are incredibly deep and complex, it is still not a compelling reason to play this 'game' to me. Again, it may be for other people but not for me.

kyser73

That showed me absolutely nothing other than that my earlier notions about this "game" was true.

It was a video of a guy getting really excited up at how how they've made a game where you have the ability to accomplish nothing.

He actually described the amazingness of the game as giving you the opportunity to do a similar thing as being able to stand still in minecraft and just dig. You can do whatever you want, it's just that whatever you want is essentially pointless and achieves nothing.

I mean, that's great, but it misses the bigger picture. Minecraft has a purpose, it's a sandbox with lots of options of things to do. Sitting around digging is not the sole thing you can do. No Man's Sky does not have options or anything meaningful to do aside from explore random procedurally generated planets. It's a walking simulator.

It may be other people's cup of tea and that's wonderful. It's clearly not for me.

So you're just going to ignore everything that's in these two links:

I feel it's my obligation to do this, since I still see people asking. Here is:

It's not possible to misunderstand what the game is, what it's about, what you'll be doing, how it works, and how it's possible on a technical level after seeing those.

Ke0

Will the fix the kerning on their font?!

qGU6OlH.jpg

Falchion

I can't get over how intriguing this game is to me, I think it's the open ended nature of the story and the intrigue of trying to make it to the center of the universe to uncover whatever mystery is there.

Also it's sweet that you could just go around to as many planets as you could to name and explore everything and have a full experience. Also I'm absolutely going to fly around the first planet I discover.

Will the fix the kerning on their font?!

They're still working out the kinks in procedurally generated fonts

Man... I kinda want to be there, on launch night, to experience this first-hand... even if it bombs, it'll be the best bomb in history.

Please don't bomb

CHC

have options or anything meaningful to do aside from explore random procedurally generated planets. It's a walking simulator.

Clearly you're just not paying attention, or are looking for reasons to dismiss the information that is there. It's not a "game," it's a game.

Zantar

Neo Member
So you're just going to ignore everything that's in these two links:

I did read through the first link. Using the term walking simulator clearly isn't quite correct in that it's not a true walking simulator ala Dear Esther, however the general idea behind it is the same.
You walk around, slowly getting to the centre of the universe.You may shoot some ships here and there, maybe trade or craft. This may be oversimplifying it, but in the end it doesn't seem like you actually DO anything nor do I have a reason to care about anything that goes on in the world.
Honestly that's fine, it's different and I can see the appeal to people.

EDIT: I'm going to apologize for being narrow minded and not calling it a game, as games come in many shapes and forms. Clearly NMS doesn't jive with me and I'll duck out.

CHC

Man... I kinda want to be there, on launch night, to experience this first-hand... even if it bombs, it'll be the best bomb in history.

Please don't bomb

I'll definitely be laughing if it bombs. The hype is at critical mass, and I myself am very excited. But yeah, if it bombs it's going to be kind of amazing just to watch the tower of excitement topple spectacularly.

I just want this game to get a group of people to find a way to find each other and do something.

I don't care if it is having a spaceship demo derby or wrangling random procedural cattle, I'm going to find a group that figures out how to break the intentions.

I did read through the first link. Using the term walking simulator clearly isn't quite correct in that it's not a true walking simulator ala Dear Esther, however the general idea behind it is the same.
You walk around, slowly getting to the centre of the universe.You may shoot some ships here and there, maybe trade or craft. This may be oversimplifying it, but in the end it doesn't seem like you actually DO anything nor do I have a reason to care about anything that goes on in the world.

EDIT: I'm going to apologize for being narrow minded and not calling it a game, as games come in many shapes and forms. Clearly NMS doesn't jive with me and I'll duck out.

It's about the journey man. Discovering the undiscovered, making your mark (however insignificant). It's a universe I want to explore and it looks good to me.

When the game does come out I think I'll be forced to go into blackout mode. The reason being is, you know there are going to be people playing for 24+ hours straight just to be the first to get to the center of the universe and blab about it.

Congratulations on basically saying you don't do anything in this game in an extremely convoluted and obtuse manner. You've obviously read this and evey NMS thread very thoroughly.

I'd be curious as to what your standards for 'doing' things in games are. What constitutes doing something? I'm walking somewhere now, so am I doing something? What do you do in your game? Do? Do do?

Unicorn

What do you mean by DO? is not shooting and trading a DO? Is it because there isn't a narrator or cinematic showcasing an "epic" DO? What is this DO that other games provide that you are finding devoid in NMS? The DO in NMS is the actions you take and the choices you make in your journey to the center, or to the next outpost. The reductionism you present is a brush that can be painted onto all games.

It'll just be a dude at a computer terminal, repeatedly typing, "but what do you even do in this game?" Then he turns to the player and says, "So, what the fuck did you even do to get here?"

Credits roll.

lol

I now hope it's like Symphony of the Night.

You reach the center of the universe, and then the galaxy turns upside down. You must now travel back to the outside UPSIDE DOWN WWWWWWHOOOOOOOA WHOOOOOOOOOOOOA

Falchion

Just watched the full GT interview. I was laughing the whole time about how some of them were getting so mad about the direct questions about it's systems and progression.

I have a bunch of questions:

What does it mean to craft atomically?

And, while you can destroy the environment, I wonder how deep this will be?

The planet in the demo when zoomed out seemed to be the same throughout, will there be planets that are diverse like earth?

I doubt there will be destruction where you can explore and find something like a cave? Underground chambers? Mountains to explore? Deep, deep seas with variable sea creatures at different depths?

You can't build in the world, but it seems you can destroy. Personally, I think building things would have been awesome, but I can understand that it's not that kind of game. For example, what if you chose to have a "home" planet, where you bring in properties from other planets, and you built a whole world/homebase there?

Is the crafting as variable as the resources/planets/things you discover, or will they share similar traits or inherent properties?

Can you discover other players, team up with them, combat other players? I can't recall hearing information about this.

Do the sentinels/guardians have varying levels of design/difficulty? Are they the only threat on planets?

I hope they reveal more soon, I am curious.
When he destroyed things he got elements. So maybe the crafting so be of new atomic elements

mujun

Just watched the full GT interview. I was laughing the whole time about how some of them were getting so mad about the direct questions about it's systems and progression.

Yeah, that irritated me more than Brandon's relentless argument about more transparency.

It's cool that they want to keep some mystery about the game, on the other hand it's totally fair if you ask me to actually want to know things like how the trading system works or footage of you actually upgrading something.

Especially when the majority of the mystery seems to be what you'll actually encounter on any given planet or somewhere while out in space.

It's a walking simulator....yet you can swim, shoot, scan, mine, fly, warp, buy, sell, participate in large scale space battles, explore, etc.

Damn, you were right on the money!

If only they added a mission to save the princess in the black hole at the center of the galaxy...

It's a walking simulator....yet you can swim, shoot, scan, mine, fly, warp, buy, sell, participate in large scale space battles, explore, etc.

If only they added a mission to save the princess in the black hole at the center of the galaxy...

To heck with Mario! It's a jumping simulator!!!

All jokes aside, I am pretty hyped about this game.

Why do people keep complaining about the ATLUS in the title? It's a thing in the game :p

Answers bolded

When Sean blew up those rocks, parts of the debris came hurling at you and seemed to collect in the gun he was using. Or maybe that was just me and my feed was hiccuping.

The gamer reaction to this game has been fascinating. And i can see both sides but put me in the "just roll with it camp"

We as gamers are so conditioned to know the limits, and are told in extreme detail the mechanics, and boundaries to games that this game in how its presented seems to disrupt things.

It doesn't have wave points, its got a vague notion of where to go, but its seems to have the truest sense of open world (or universe) gaming. And i know there's mechanics and things to do but it seems the NMS team is really trying their best to not lay it out there. But we have to know and be told, or guided or something (feels like some Bioshock comentary in here somewhere)

I also think because its been just a disruptive showing to what we're used to (for a game this high profile) that people have to dig into it and are asking way more questions and details about this game than the avg game in preview mode

In a way i feel like the game is a magic trick. Some are cool with rolling with it and enjoying the ride, while others are obsessed with how its pulled off, what lurks behind the curtain, is it all smoke & mirrors, and where the seams of this game is

Also with the GT stream. Fun debate and man they had no AC and were on hour 14! of the stream.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
For the "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?!" crowd. Watch this video:

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6238913

(Skip to 14:16:00)

OH MY GOD WHY AREN"T WE SEEING THIS SHIT?! :(
It's weird watching this almost pathological belligerence towards a game concept. You don't have to get it, it doesn't have to be for you. Don't waste your energy on something you don't think is for your cup of tea. Can you just be alright with the fact that others enjoy something you don't?

mujun

You don't have to get it, it doesn't have to be for you. Don't waste your energy on something you don't think is for your cup of tea.

Maybe he's unsure and wants to know more so that he can feel more secure in his anticipation for the game.

There is a lot of feelings about something between "I know it's my cup of tea" and "I know it's not my cup of tea", especially when you consider how much stuff there is that we don't know about this game.

Unicorn

I think my largest concerns are still burning embers of disappointment and frustration from SPORE.

Like, the fact that we'll be exploring planets, but I fear the highest-density planet we'll find will just be a place with a busy outpost. I doubt we'll find sprawling cityscapes from a cyberpunk/Bladerunner set. I think a lot of people are fearing the diversity in planets will be akin to the diversity in zoo layouts. They may look marignally different, but they are still these structures that have a handful of animals here, an attraction there, and maybe someone you recognize in between it all.

The "numbers game" that I'm skeptical about is the populations and diversity "meters" of planets. The quantitative things and how that will effect qualitative things - a handful of powerfully different environments are more impactful and memorable than an infinite number of pretty places.

I have said it in the past, but I'll say it again. The number one thing that will make or break this for me is that playability. It must feel good to walk, to fly, to look. Everything must feel good to do. Flying must not feel stiff or unpolished. the most polished part of this game needs to be the link between the player and the game. It needs to be enjoyable to move around since that is the primary action players will be doing. As long as that is locked down, this game will keep me occupied for hundreds of hours. my "endgame" in any of my favorite sandbox games is enjoying mobility (driving in GTA, running in Hulk: UD, etc) and listening to music, zoning out.

Everything else I have seen has sold me. The aesthetic and aim for vintage sci-fi reverence on exploration versus modern adaptation of sci-fi dystopia is the baseline I needed. It just needs to play well and I'm done for.

^Store Page is up

Nowhere to put my money, yet.

MattyG

Banned

^Store Page is up
YAAAAAS.

Very curious when they'll announce the launch date, what the price point is, and if it's digital only or retail (on PS4). If it's digital only, I can imagine it launching fairly soon after the announcement of the date.

Slixshot

Banned
The gamer reaction to this game has been fascinating. And i can see both sides but put me in the "just roll with it camp"

We as gamers are so conditioned to know the limits, and are told in extreme detail the mechanics, and boundaries to games that this game in how its presented seems to disrupt things.

It doesn't have wave points, its got a vague notion of where to go, but its seems to have the truest sense of open world (or universe) gaming. And i know there's mechanics and things to do but it seems the NMS team is really trying their best to not lay it out there. But we have to know and be told, or guided or something (feels like some Bioshock comentary in here somewhere)

I also think because its been just a disruptive showing to what we're used to (for a game this high profile) that people have to dig into it and are asking way more questions and details about this game than the avg game in preview mode

In a way i feel like the game is a magic trick. Some are cool with rolling with it and enjoying the ride, while others are obsessed with how its pulled off, what lurks behind the curtain, is it all smoke & mirrors, and where the seams of this game is

Also with the GT stream. Fun debate and man they had no AC and were on hour 14! of the stream.

Everything you said was perfect. I'm in the same camp. Bring it on! WHATEVER IT IS!!!

Also Ben from GT did an AMAZING job representing the game. Very well said and genuinely passionate. Well done!

Like, the fact that we'll be exploring planets, but I fear the highest-density planet we'll find will just be a place with a busy outpost. I doubt we'll find sprawling cityscapes from a cyberpunk/Bladerunner set. I think a lot of people are fearing the diversity in planets will be akin to the diversity in zoo layouts. They may look marignally different, but they are still these structures that have a handful of animals here, an attraction there, and maybe someone you recognize in between it all.

It was confirmed that we wont be finding civilization like that.

Pop

SO it's just a do things simulator. Ugh

Evantist

I can see how this game can make use of emergent narrative to compel its target audience to keep playing since the events you experience should be unique to yourself.

It's about the fear of the unknown, along with its attraction. The chance to experience something no one else did. I could be an explorer, naming every planet I find. Maybe I could be a trader, become the 1% of the universe. Maybe I like the thrill of space combat and join every skirmish I could find. Maybe I could be a rebel and play cat and mice with space police and their battlecruisers. Maybe I could be a crafter to create as many items as the stars in the sky, or I could be a scribe to document all creatures I can discover.

Sure, the goal is to get to the center of the universe. However, your goal could change along the way, and you find something else to motivate you to exist in that universe. After all, everyone has different reasons to play a game.

It's the euphoria of embarking upon a whole new world(or universe in this case). I think I would love it. I look forward to the game.

amnesiac

Do games show up on Steam when they're closer to release or do they just show up whenever they want to put them up? Dunno that much about how Steam works.

Unicorn

It was confirmed that we wont be finding civilization like that.
Which is great. It sets a really specific, almost ominous, tone for the whole game.

I really hope geography has importance to the worlds. I love geography plays into how a landscape looks.

xBladeM6x

Do games show up on Steam when they're closer to release or do they just show up whenever they want to put them up? Dunno that much about how Steam works.

Whenever they want. GTA V was on the store for a long time before it released, with basically no info on the page. (if I remember correctly)

Top Bottom