• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

I believe that this game started like a another Little and beautiful indie, now it has turned in a thing that i am sure the developers didn't planned at first, all thanks to you guys.

Jblanks

I believe that this game started like a another Little and beautiful indie, now it has turned in a thing that i am sure the developers didn't planned at first, all thanks to you guys.

?

Also it sounds like a mix of maybe Sony wanting it to be a Morpheus release game/ don't want it to try and compete with the major games coming out Q42015-Q12016, and maybe it's just still 8-12 months from being ready.

Servbot24

Banned
For the "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?!" crowd. Watch this video:

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6238913

(Skip to 14:16:00)

OH MY GOD WHY AREN"T WE SEEING THIS SHIT?! :(

Well, looks my expectations about this since the reveal were accurate. Game is remarkable, but it's not for me. I don't want to imagine my own narrative while playing. I want to feel a purpose that is artfully designed and instilled in us by a creator. This game doesn't attempt to offer that.

Bsigg12

Can't wait for the inevitable PC mods. Star Wars universe conversions and all that.

That'll be something else. A Death Star enemy who moves around the universe blowing shit up until you can put together the necessary forces and equipment to do a trench run.

I know the game isn't supposed to be played this way. But what happens if right when you start the game, you go in a straight line to the center? You could potentially "beat" the game in minutes?

Edit: already answered earlier

nib95

Banned
Brandon Jones is driving me up the wall in this video.

I quite like the discussion that comes about from his stance though, even if I disagree with him. The diamonds for weapons in Minecraft equivalent would be your ship and weapons, which are upgradeable with the stuff you scavenge and find.

Seems like there's two clear different groups in these threads: people who don't understand the point of exploring for the sake of exploration and people who love to do that

RedSwirl

I'd like to know if there will be planets of various sizes. Will planets range between like the size of Charon and something slightly bigger than Earth? We already know there won't be gas giants. I don't remember if they've confirmed or denied anything about moons though.

amnesiac

To me it sounded like he wanted to release in 2015, but that something happened and it will be mid to late 2016.

The "we could announce a release date but then people would be disappointed if we delayed it" part makes me think they're still trying for a late 2015 release. If they are aiming for a 2016 release, it's odd that they aren't even saying that it will be released sometime in 2016 (unless there's a possibility of it releasing in 2017). Unlikely, but maybe we'll hear more tomorrow when they're on the Playstation stream.

Silvard

Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.

It's entirely possible they're not Earth sized, and that exploration consists of visiting all the points of interest on a planet, not literally walk every square inch of it.

nib95

Banned
I'd like to know if there will be planets of various sizes. Will planets range between like the size of Charon and something slightly bigger than Earth? We already know there won't be gas giants. I don't remember if they've confirmed or denied anything about moons though.

Yes. They will range in size, ecology, fauna, resources, aesthetic et all.

CHC

Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.

You're right they're definitely not, discreet geography is easily visible from orbit. That said I find it kind of a relief honestly, I'm not really interested in wandering featureless wastes forever, so I don't mind them being a little scaled down. They still seem huge!

Zomba13

Brandon Jones is driving me up the wall in this video.

He is insufferable in that. "Oh you say there are infinite possiblities but realy you can only do *list of a lot of things*?" And then you have Huber making that exact same argument for GTAV. It's just bullshit and looking for things to be critical about. He says how much he loves Minecraft but then can't see this as being a similar thing? Then compares "doing nothing" in this to leaving the controller down in Mario.

III-V

What the hell is "crafting at an atomic level" anyways. Seem so vague and snake oil-ish, to be honest.

Not necessarily snake oil here, this exists today. Atomic layer deposition (ALD) is a process that allows for crafting at the atomic level. It is a stepwise, binary process that deposits sub-monolayers that stack on top of each other that allow for nanometer thin film deposition. From here, a user can create a poly(x)-process, where nanometer thin films, or tens or hundreds of nanometers of film can be stacked as a laminate of combined materials that do not necessarily give the same material properties than if it was a singular bulk material.

Potentially that is the inspiration for this.

kyser73

So that pretty much confirms every-single-planet is going to have life on it in some form? BE it organic or robotic (IE The Sentinels)?

That's going to get so repetitive, there should be planets that are just utterly and completely devoid of any lifeforms.

Planets made up of noxius gases, and just more vairety

Every planet shouldn't be some habitable living world.

Actually completely the opposite.

All planets with life will have some kind of sentinel presence.

Some without life will.

Most will have neither life, nor sentinels.

They've said in previous interviews that there will be some planets so hostile even ships might not be able to spend too much time in them, and they you'll need to craft/buy/upgrade to spacesuits capable of withstanding such places.

V-Faction

I don't care if the first planet I land on is "Sugar Chocoland VII" and all I can mine for resources is diabetes--I am strip mining that fucker!

Salbug

Although you're free to do what you want in No Man's Sky, there are consequences for your actions. If you kill too many creatures or deplete a planet's valuable resources, your “wanted” level will go up, and the planet’s “Sentinels” will come after you.
If you pick a fight in space, the space police will come after you.

Time to become a Space Outlaw. Not really though. :p

sp_1306_09.jpg

Can we craft an atomic bomb and destroy a planet?

If so my mission will be to destroy every planet and there will be nothing to do in this game fufufufufufu....

MattyG

Banned
Do we know how persistent terrain deformation is? I know how terrain is generated (with the algorithm they developed or whatever), but I don't know how that generation could account for and keep track of all that terrain deformation.

Brandon Jones getting fucking heated.

RedSwirl

Why can't they just hire a writer and give us a story in it? It looks amazing but why keep playing after visiting a few planets?

To gain access to better ships which will be able to take you to more places which will have better resources and other things to get you more money.

For starters, actual inhabited planets with complex life will be in the minority. At most 10 percent of planets will have any life on them at all. I imagine each solar system might have one planet with complex life on it, if any, but even dead rocky worlds will have points of interest or things to mine or whatever.

Actually moving around is probably going to be somewhat difficult too. They've confirmed at the beginning of the game you won't have a hyperdrive at all, so you'll be stuck in your starting solar system until you gather enough resources through fighting or mining or exploring to finally afford a ship with a hyperdrive. Once you have that, you'll only be able to warp to systems within range of that hyperdrive, and it'll probably be a shitty level-1 hyperdrive. Once you do warp to another system, I think they also confirmed you'll have to buy fuel for your hyperdrive and that will be quite expensive. There will even be planets with atmosphere so hostile you'll have to upgrade your suit and your ship to be able to land on them.

It seems to be tough to get across the fact that this isn't going to be a walking simulator. NMS really sounds more like a survival game crossed with Grand Theft Space Ship.

Watching American Sniper...

I know folks be Anti-Military but this movie really doesn't say "YAY military" to me. Just seems like the typical war is fucked up story not worth protesting over.

Probably. It seems the sentinels are basically like cops in GTA games.

If so my mission will be to destroy every planet and there will be nothing to do in this game fufufufufufu....

Sean mentioned that Space Station and Space Police will put a bounty on your head if you do that.

+Plus all the angry gamers (bounty hunters) that will hunt you down and destroy you.

This actually sounds cool

Sean mentioned that Space Station and Space Police will put a bounty on your head if you do that.

+Plus all the angry gamers (bounty hunters) that will hunt you down and destroy you.

This actually sounds cool

This is why you make a crew of planet busters for the cause. Kill one and there's always another destroying a planet somewhere else :p. They better add planet destroying.

See, this is why I hope the game turns out well. I plan to explore explore explore, catalog as much stuff as I can to "The Atlus" and try as hard as possible to NOT wreck or kill anything. I want to fly around some entire "planet-sized planet" and document every damn last thing there, just to say I did. Both your and my style are 100% legitimate ways to play the game (as far as we know).

Edit: And it's vital I document this all because it'll be forever lost to time after you destroy the same planet when you accidentally run into it. So there you go!

iosefe

after watching the GT and Gamespot. it's probably time for the Media blackout until the impending release. we've seen all we need for now.

kyser73

It's getting painful, non?

The original version of Elite was even more barebones than this -

2K stars with one planet across 8 galaxies
Basic supply/demand trading
Wanted level
8 special missions
Space combat
Buy upgrades to the only ship you could have
No game story whatsoever.

Still one of the greatest games ever written IMO.

v1lla21

Didn't Sean say that if you destroy a whole species of animals or something of that sort, it just wouldn't appear for you but it would for others?

zlatko

Banned
I'm glad to finally get more details, and now I understand why they don't show shit for this game---they don't want to show it so you can experience it firsthand.

The developer feels if you are told/shown more and more of the game, then it will have less of an impact on you when you do play it, and will make it less of an experience.

Understandable there.

I am in the camp though that is frustrated not knowing what all you can do within the game, because I NEED to know before I say here's $60.00 bucks. Like if I bought No Man's sky, and then it turned out to be a Monster High Kids game... I'd be furious. That's why I need to know more on its mechanics.

I don't need to know why we are going to the center or how to get there, but I do need to know there is trading in the game, upgrades, character creation, what all you can do on a planet, difficulty, rewards, punishments, etc. These things could make me want to day one the game, or of course steer clear.

As it stands it sounds like a less interesting Minecraft, and I'm not into Minecraft, so this game is not targeted towards me just like a Barbie game wouldn't be geared towards me.

What will upset me though is if this game WAS made for my tastes, but due to poor selling of it to audiences, I never pick it up and therefore miss out on something that could be truly fantastic.

Oh well. I again will have to wait for GAF's impressions/reviews that will go into details to see if the game was worth all the hush hush around it or not.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

What the hell did I just watch? At least the 2nd guy could get passionate about the game, but that panel was like double-dork patties between seasame-seed douchbuns. I have to put some names to those faces so I can avoid them in the future, esp. King Douche on the left. I wish I could get those few minutes of my life back. Also, do some cursory reading on the web about a game before you parade your failing comedy skills.

Top Bottom