• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ouya model expected every year

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/ouya-annual/

There will be a new OUYA next year, and the year after that, unlike the traditional game console model, where new hardware ships in five- to seven-year generational increments. "Our strategy is very much similar to the mobile strategy," OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman told us in an interview this afternoon, following her DICE 2013 speech. "There will be a new OUYA every year. There will be an OUYA 2 and an OUYA 3," she added. One potentially featuring the recently revealed Tegra 4, perhaps, rather than the Tegra 3 powering the first units? It sure sounds like it. "We'll take advantage of faster, better processors, take advantage of prices falling. So if we can get more than 8GB of Flash in our box, we will," she explained.

But don't fret, nervous game buyer. Uhrman assured us that "all the games will be backward compatible" going forward. When pushed on how this will work, she said, "The games will be tied to you, the gamer," (like Steam is now) rather than tying your game licenses to the hardware you purchased (like, say, Nintendo's Wii U).

iavi

Tablet model. Don't want.

It's an android box. I appreciate them bringing more devs to the platform, but nothing they're doing is novel.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Normally I'd make some snarky comment about waiting for next year, then... but actually at $99, it's not that unreasonable :p

SmokeMaxX

1) How are the GAMES backwards compatible? That doesn't make sense.
2) The 360 also has DRM tying what you have to your system. Yes you can redownload onto another system with your account, but there is no proof that the WiiU will not have that capability in the future when they release a unified account system.

def sim

Normally I'd make some snarky comment about waiting for next year, then... but actually at $99, it's not that unreasonable :p

Yes, the fact that this is using mobile tech, which advances greatly every year, and has a low price attached to it makes it alright by me.

iavi

Why would you want a Tegra 3 in five years when budget phones will be several times more powerful?

That wasn't a statement to me wanting to sit on a T3, as much as it was me saying that I just don't want anything OUYA.

2) The 360 also has DRM tying what you have to your system. Yes you can redownload onto another system with your account, but there is no proof that the WiiU will not have that capability in the future when they release a unified account system.

Whoo boy. They're speaking on the Wii U of today. Nintendo's made everyone a lot of promises. But that's neither here nor there in here..

I'm actually OK with this. New specs for $100 a year is neat.
I just hope that the revisions in terms of controller and console design are a priority, too.

Seik

Banned
I wanted a Ouya but I choked ordering one because of the Tegra 4 announcement in January, which is supposed to be 6X more powerful than the T3.

Not that I'm a power whore, but I think the T3 was lacking a bit of it.

If they release a Tegra 4 Ouya before a future Tegra 5 (or something alike) announcement, I'll dip.

Still, I doubt they would do such a thing because they're already a year late with the T3 (that probably explains the 100$ tag as well), the Ouya will release while T4 tablets will already be in the market or near release. So if they rince/repeat, it'll be the same scenario in 2014.

It would be clever to make the controller from the previous batches compatible though.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The android market has existed for years in hundreds of millions of handsets, and it is still a wasteland today, and considering Ouya even has competitors in this niche of gaming space, I can't say there will be much enthusiasm for future iterations of the device.

iavi

The android market has existed for years in hundreds of millions of handsets, and it is still a wasteland today, and considering Ouya even has competitors in this niche of gaming space, I can't say there will be much enthusiasm for future iterations of the device.

The Android space is by no means a wasteland anymore. Still not as content rich as IOS, but getting there FAST.

Sandfox

I don't see the Ouya doing well but that's actually not too bad of a idea since the Ouya is so low priced and just like tablets being a few years behind on a model won't hurt you too much(If I'm reading this correct).

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I think Ouya will be worth it on emulators alone. What real substantial games are coming out for it though? Will the Android ports of GTA be on it?

Dizzan

MINI Member
This is the way all consoles should be!!!!

I would buy a new PS if the hardware was refreshed every two years. Technology moves too fast these days to have 6 year console cycles!!!!! Get with the times guys.

Squire

Banned
They're really getting ahead of themselves. Smart phones can pull that off because they're smart phones.

Card Boy

Banned

I would buy a new PS if the hardware was refreshed every two years. Technology moves too fast these days to have 6 year console cycles!!!!! Get with the times guys.

6 years? More like 8 years this gen.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

I actually agree with this. There should be medium settings mode for older consoles. Times have changed, people are ready to pay for more frequent refreshments.

Remk

So it is just an iphone business model.

You can still play your angry birds but if you want the latest 3d sensation you better upgrade!

Doesnt sound very enticing for a *new plattform* if you ask me.

At 100 USD per upgrade it doesn't sound like such a bad deal if you're into that sort of thing imo. The hardware was definitely not built to last technologically speaking.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

You can still play your angry birds but if you want the latest 3d sensation you better upgrade!

at least you have an option to upgrade. With the old model you'd be stuck with the same shit for 8 years+.

Dizzan

MINI Member
at least you have an option to upgrade. With the old model you'd be stuck with the same shit for 8 years+.

Exactly.

All PC gamers are going to say "PC has been doing this for years" and it's true but PC's are only know becoming small and simple enough to be in the living room.

If they can pack enough power into tablets, I can see me using them as my main console, connecting them to the big screen and bluetoothing a controller. That way, every two years I'm getting an improved experience.

I'm hoping that if they go down this route you can buy a "barebones" version without the case/controller etc and just do a straight swap, keeping the upgrade cost down for those that already invested in the machine.

pants

But don't fret, nervous game buyer. Uhrman assured us that "all the games will be backward compatible" going forward. When pushed on how this will work, she said, "The games will be tied to you, the gamer," (like Steam is now) rather than tying your game licenses to the hardware you purchased (like, say, Nintendo's Wii U).
hahahaha

wildfire

Banned
I'm hoping that if they go down this route you can buy a "barebones" version without the case/controller etc and just do a straight swap, keeping the upgrade cost down for those that already invested in the machine.

It would make a lot of sense if they offered this since we are allowed to open up and modify the hardware without voiding our warranty.

The one thing that bothers me is backwards compatibility. If they are going for software emulation it would be viable but the older games will have issues. Yet if they are using hardware they are trading removal of software issues with design constraints on the hardware which will start feeling unmanageable a few years later.

Haunted

The difference here obviously being that Ouya is like a fourth/fifth of the price of the yearly iphone refresh.

While I agree that the cycle is too long, the PS price will be too high for such small cycles. Releasing new hardware making the old, expensive one obsolete at such a fast pace would be a hugely anti-consumer move. Apple is pretty much the only company in the world who can get away with that shit.

Now, a PC-style modular upgrade system... then you're onto something.

jamsy

I still don't understand who would buy this. People that want to play emulators and Android games on their TV?

I can play Android games on my Note 2 and I have several consoles that can do emulators including my laptop, which I can hook up to a PC.

Not to mention that in a year, some Android games will demand better hardware, so you would potentially have to purchase one of these boxes every year like a cell phone. So uh, yeah, the only thing I can see that it's got going for it is the price.

I don't think you will have to worry about this two years from now when the concept will be left and forgotten due to milions of $100-200 tablets flooding the world.

Wubby

I thought it was pretty much a given that they would do this. Is anyone really surprised by this? It's $99... buying one every year isn't exactly bank breaking. And no one is forcing you to buy the latest.

Log4Girlz

I still don't understand who would buy this. People that want to play emulators and Android games on their TV?

I can play Android games on my Note 2 and I have several consoles that can do emulators including my laptop, which I can hook up to a PC.

Not to mention that in a year, some Android games will demand better hardware, so you would potentially have to purchase one of these boxes every year like a cell phone. So uh, yeah, the only thing I can see that it's got going for it is the price.

Deep down inside I would love a $199 console which focused on an OS over hardware so that there could be bi-yearly hardware releases to feature the latest and greatest tech for that price point.

DiscoJer

And the price is a pretty big deal. I don't have a $500 phone or tablets or multiple consoles that can somehow do emulators (er?) and my laptop can do games, but it's meant for other stuff (and tends to overheat when it does games).

A $99 gizmo that plays Android games and other things is pretty nice as far as I am concerned. Hell, the Wi-Fi adapter for the 360 was priced as much for years.

Top Bottom