• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ouya model expected every year

TheExodu5

Banned
The console is $99 with a controller. If they can manage it at less than that for the console itself, it wouldn't be too bad.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Probably for the best, it's cheap enough so who cares. I feel bad though that it's "yet another platform" that developers have to support, and it's not that good of a platform to be honest. I read yesterday that the The Cave will be released on it. I'd much rather have the game on Ipad / regular Android, or more ideally on Vita, first, than on this thing.

Thing is, people don't like to buy new "systems" every year or two, aside from the cell phones. And that's mostly because cell phone companies subsidize the cost of a new phone provided you sign a contract with them.

And for $200 you're probably not gonna get anything that's "latest and greatest." Think how long it took for the PS3 to drop its price from $500/$600 to where it is today. Price of production does decrease but it takes years, and I doubt that a small company can make the same type of progress when it comes to efficiency of production.

For $200 most people will just settle for a Nexus/iPad mini device that'll do most everything this Ouya thing can.

People upgrade tablets and Apple TVs as often as once every one or two years. And Cellphones about as often as well.

Those items are more than $200 alone, and their replacements usually ring up about the same or more. If it's less than the $99 asked for here, you're likely getting bad hardware.

For a $99 console, I don't 'get' the complaints.

Meh, wish I knew that before picking one up. Except I mainly want one for XBMC so we'll see how it goes for that before I get disappointed.

KPunk

i find it funny multiple people are posting "i'll wait for tegra 4 model" you're going to be waiting a long time....in six months Nvidia will be announcing the tegra 5 and everyone will want to wait for that. in the mobile industry things move far to quickly to wait.

One of the main reasons i personally want to buy one is for XBMC.

Orayn

I'm fine with this. The lower pricing makes this model work in Ouya's favor a lot more than it does for tablets and smartphones.

J-Tier

People upgrade tablets and Apple TVs as often as once every one or two years. And Cellphones about as often as well.

Those items are more than $200 alone, and their replacements usually ring up about the same or more. If it's less than the $99 asked for here, you're likely getting bad hardware.

For a $99 console, I don't 'get' the complaints.

I do. I'm one of the "few" people who do not follow every latest trend in technology. I barely upgraded to the iphone 4 and am not even considering the 5 unless it's at a good value. I own a 2nd gen ipad, and do not plan to upgrade anytime soon.

I see the more "expensive" console that will stick around longer, as the better value.

ugh, like when Apple made my iPad 1 obsolete by not supporting it anymore. Also hardly any new game works on that even though its "compatible" and that hardware is barely 3 years old.

So, like smartphones they'll either be one generation behind or current generation.

Oh, boy, I can't wait to buy a new OUYA
I'm never buying an OUYA
every year! :D!

Well, who says you need to? Of course some developers will always push for the limits but a lot of developers will just target an older platform or release a scaled down version for the older platform.

You're kidding, right? That's completely different. They can run e-mail/internet/netflix with a lower-spec'd tablet no matter what. Games is a different beast from that.

Are YOU kidding? OUYA is an open Android device. The standard Android Browser and Email will be there from the get go and apps like Netflix will work immediately although inofficially, but I believe that Netflix already announced that they will support OUYA.

Meh, wish I knew that before picking one up. Except I mainly want one for XBMC so we'll see how it goes for that before I get disappointed.

Wish you knew what? That technology would move on and they would want to keep up with it? I've always felt from the outset that this would be sacrificial technology and something that could come with possible cheap annual upgrades. If it means I pay £50 a year to keep up with the best Android has to offer I'm happy with that.

I do. I'm one of the "few" people who do not follow every latest trend in technology. I barely upgraded to the iphone 4 and am not even considering the 5 unless it's at a good value. I own a 2nd gen ipad, and do not plan to upgrade anytime soon.

I see the more "expensive" console that will stick around longer, as the better value.

You can stick to the Ouya model that you purchased, then. I doubt they'll ditch the Android framework in the future. Worst case scenario is you'll have the iPhone 3-3GS scenario where about 5% of games run quite a bit slower on the older hardware/features disabled.

I think the hubris is people thinking the games won't scale or that the consoles will have much more radical changes that wont allow for cross compatibility when in reality, it's all Android.

J-Tier

Wish you knew what? That technology would move on and they would want to keep up with it? I've always felt from the outset that this would be sacrificial technology and something that could come with possible cheap annual upgrades. If it means I pay £50 a year to keep up with the best Android has to offer I'm happy with that.

Assuming this is consistently the case, I might grab one for myself.

I'm still going to wait. I only see doom and gloom with nearly everything next gen, and the Ouya is not exempt from that future.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Seems like a giant money sink to me. Release under powered versions every year on the cheap to get users to upgrade the next year. IMO the tegra 3 version is a waste because it is such a horrible SOC. I am happy the big 3 don't do this with machines. These little machines in the long run be even more expensive than the PS3 at launch lol.

I pay $35 a year for XBox Live.
I pay $80 a month for my phone.
I buy at least one $60 game every two months.

I guess $100 a year (or every two) isn't unreasonable for hardware upgrades. And if all my games from my previous Ouya transfer flawlessly from system to system, that's reasonable. I can always eBay or give away my previous Ouya.

The transparency is a little discomforting, but I guess it's probably a good thing.

Oh, and I guess I can always root the previous Ouya and make it a dedicated system for something. Media streaming? N64 emulator?

I pay $35 a year for XBox Live.
I pay $80 a month for my phone.
I buy at least one $60 game every two months.

I guess $100 a year (or every two) isn't unreasonable for hardware upgrades. And if all my games from my previous Ouya transfer flawlessly from system to system, that's reasonable. I can always eBay or give away my previous Ouya.

The transparency is a little discomforting, but I guess it's probably a good thing.

Oh, and I guess I can always root the previous Ouya and make it a dedicated system for something. Media streaming? N64 emulator?

I thought only devkit Ouyas were transparent? Unless you're a dev and you got one already.

If they allow game devs to take full advantage of Tegra 3, coding to that hardware (which I thought was the point), then this model will only work if nVidia keeps it's Tegra line full code back compatible in perpetuity.

IIRC, Tegra 4 is doing that, so so far so good I guess.

Also, if they keep up the $100 price point every year, this might entice me for a Tegra 4 one. Tegra 3 is too damn weak but Tegra 4 is powerful enough for big screen HD gaming to compete with 360 and PS3 reasonably.

Kregan

Neo Member
I feel like this does not really make sense for a console, older devices will quickly start running the game slower. People might accept that for their old phone, but they might expect that any game released on a console would run well on it?

considering how easy it is to take an Ouya apart I wonder if they could just sell the upgraded internals separately as an OEM package? Look at how easy it would be to swap parts :p

ouyaspecs.jpg

This would be the answer I'm after. If they can do this and not make me have to buy a new console/controller set every year, I would be MUCH more likely to buy an OUYA even if I didn't play it very frequently, I would buy one because of the low price and I like spending money to help indie/kickstarter small companies.

Giving me the option to swap out the main board with a faster one for say $40~$50 would be a no brainer for me.

RotBot

I think it's poor branding and market positioning on their part. They're pushing it as a games console, and a yearly refresh cycle seems absurd for a console. But if you look at it as a living room media machine competing on price and features against Roku, Boxee, and Apple TV, but with a focus on games, annual hardware updates aren't a big deal.

If I get an Ouya, I'd be getting it primarily for the XBMC functionality, with games second. I'd be deciding between an Ouya or a Roku, not an Ouya or an Xbox.

TDLink

I still don't really get who this product is for. Or rather, I personally don't see the appeal and what this brings to the table. It boggles my mind how this got so much money on kickstarter.

ToxicAdam

I think marriage should be patterned on this model.

I like the fact that they seem pretty confident sales will dictate they can actually make a second version.

It would be pretty foolish not to have a plan in place, given the amount of time it takes to plan/manufacture/distribute new hardware.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like a giant money sink to me. Release under powered versions every year on the cheap to get users to upgrade the next year. IMO the tegra 3 version is a waste because it is such a horrible SOC. I am happy the big 3 don't do this with machines. These little machines in the long run be even more expensive than the PS3 at launch lol.

And still most Android games run fine on it - which is the point.

nasos_333

I see, so it is like a PC, only with terrible hardware

No thanks, i will stick to PC, 3DS XL and the normal 7+ years lasting consoles

BTW does it have any striking amazing exclusives that would make all these money and effort worth it ?

Jawmuncher

I'm still surprised Ouya had so much backing.
Sounds pretty uninteresting to me.
I can't even see the use aside from the cheap price point.

Chinner

Banned
I see, so it is like a PC, only with terrible hardware

No thanks, i will stick to PC, 3DS XL and the normal 7+ years lasting consoles

BTW does it have any striking amazing exclusives that would make all these money and effort worth it ?
no not even ubisoft is developing for them. who actually wants this?

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm glad someone is doing it. All the other consoles are likely staying with the half-decade or more model, why not a console that takes the smartphone/tablet approach and releases a new upgraded version every year?

It's only $99 anyway. Why not? I like this.

I'm glad someone is doing it. All the other consoles are likely staying with the half-decade or more model, why not a console that takes the smartphone/tablet approach and releases a new upgraded version every year?

It's only $99 anyway. Why not? I like this.

Just read. People here don't "get" it.

Chinner

Banned
Urgh no thanks, this console is a con. I'd rather buy Xbox 3 and pay for quality online play and also play high quality original titles such as tomb raider, halo 5 or gears of war 4

Tymerend

With a model like this, how are they expecting to sell any units in the second half of the year? Who's going to plunk down money when they KNOW a new iteration of the hardware is right around the corner? I can subsidize a new phone today, as a real life example, and I'm interested in the Galaxy line, but I'm certainly not going to get a GS3 right now. Seems like it'd be the same with the Ouya.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've all but written off the ouya until this news. I still don't think I'll buy the first model unless something killer comes along. But I'll be on the lookout for the next-gen version, hopefully with Tegra 4 next time :eek:

daevv

I'll get the first one. If I use it alot and like it I'll get one every second year as long as it stays at $99.

Top Bottom