• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ouya model expected every year

It might get Modern Combat 4 which is just as good as COD if Gameloft develops for this thing. I kid you not its really good.

Acti has COD Zombies on Touch devices so that's a possibility.

By nature of the device, isn't it getting anything Android will get? Including any Android COd or Modern Combat whatever? I'm sure regular Android games have been shown running snappily on this thing

Orayn

By nature of the device, isn't it getting anything Android will get? Including any Android COd or Modern Combat whatever? I'm sure regular Android games have been shown running snappily on this thing

In terms of hardware features, no. Its Tegra 3 has been overclocked a bit since it's not limited by battery life, but the main difference is the standard inclusion of a controller.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It would be cool if I can just swap the parts out. I'm looking forward to when I get mine supposedly in March.

I travel a lot and that little bugger is going to travel with me!

Nope. It *could* get anything Android gets, but the games would have to be modified to work with OUYA controls, in-app purchases, and some other small details, and then released on the OUYA App Store.

OUYA doesn't have access to Android apps in the Google Play Store (very very few of them would work unaltered anyways). The intent is for it to be its own game console getting its own games, not just being a box to put cell phone games on a TV.

Nope. It *could* get anything Android gets, but the games would have to be modified to work with OUYA controls, in-app purchases, and some other small details, and then released on the OUYA App Store.

OUYA doesn't have access to Android apps in the Google Play Store (very very few of them would work unaltered anyways). The intent is for it to be its own game console getting its own games, not just being a box to put cell phone games on a TV.

From watching a few Youtube vids It looked like all you had to do was get the .apk. The only store included is the Ouya store, but by nature of a rooted device its possible to sideload. Now how EA or whomever would get their apk to your ouya is the sketchy part.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you acquire an APK of a game made to work 100% with a game controller from some source, then sure, you can sideload that APK and run it, but it's not getting everything Android gets by default. That's what I meant - if Modern Combat IV: The Combattening comes out on Android, it's not something that will suddenly be downloadable on the OUYA, and will take a bit of work to be officially released on the device.

sangreal

Most android games already work fine with a controller, so I don't see that as a big issue. Legally acquiring the apk of games would be a bigger challenge (unless you extract them yourself from another device)

Most android games already work fine with a controller, so I don't see that as a big issue. Legally acquiring the apk of games would be a bigger challenge (unless you extract them yourself from another device)

Yeah, and there are tons of custom mapping softwares available now.

I guess we could get alternative appstores like the Amazon Appstore or SlideMe, etc. but loading THOSE will too be a hassle if not offered on the Ouya store for the average user

Of course, being rooted, it will only be a matter of time before the Play store is a sideload apk or flash anyway so...

This is exactly what I wanted, I'm glad they confirmed it.

Isn't mobile hardware supposed to catch up with desktop hardware in a few years? Or is that just console hardware? Regardless, it will be interesting to see if the Ouya actually lasts long enough to have a model with graphics on par with the Orbis and Durango.

Most? Not that I've seen. From my experience the number is super close to zero, considering the huge amount of software in the store. Maybe if you only download stuff from the "Tegra Zone" or software from big developers it's "most".

As for mapping software, I'm not sure if that'd work, since the OUYA launcher isn't designed for apps to run in the background, and at least some apps that require rooting the device don't detect the OUYA as rooted even when it is.

Top Bottom