• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Paragon Gameplay - 12/21

It looks good but visual clarity is very important for high paced MOBAs and I feel the detail will lead to screen clutter.

Also not nearly enough movement. I think I liked the feel of Overwatch more. Units moving so slowly works less well in TPS because we're conditioned to moving faster from those perspectives.
Are we? The biggest TPS games of the last gen were probably Gears of War and Uncharted and you're not exactly a speedster in those. Not really understanding the Overwatch comparison either considering how different that game is.

Holy shit I was excited for it.

Now it looks like Third Person League of Legends.

I didn't expect so many aspects of League copied, they could have made a bit more unique experienced suited for TPS.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
...it's... well, it's pretty.

Watching that gameplay just further cemented that MOBAs aren't for me though. Looked too slow and unsatisfying.

Smite 1.5, with slightly prettier graphics and the ability to aim in two dimensions.

In fact what it made think of Smite was when it showed how short is the range of the guns. This isn't like UT or Gears of War where you can fire at an enemy at decent distances, this is like archers or mages in Smite where the range of the weapons is more like ~12 meters (see 2:05). The speed of characters is limited too.

Smite 1.5, with slightly prettier graphics and the ability to aim in two dimensions.

In fact what it made think of Smite was when it showed how short is the range of the guns. This isn't like UT or Gears of War where you can fire at an enemy at decent distances, this is like archers or mages in Smite where the range of the weapons is more like ~12 meters (see 2:05). The speed of characters is limited too.

Yep... If they also have a travelling speed for regular projectiles then it is not for me. You will be flinging shit at each other for the most game. It is impossible that Epic are going to come up with unique abilities that League/Smite missed. The entire brute character reminds me of Braum: projectile blocking wall, ground slam etc.

I don't see how they can compete with Smite's business model and variety of modes. It isn't going to be on Steam which will slow down the adoption of this game. Graphics are great, but that is not going to carry the game. Perhaps PS4 version can get enough momentum to make this game mainstream.

wapplew

First online test is happening today/tomorrow.

Character guides: http://m.imgur.com/a/mEkLQ

Not for the online tests for now. Epic is holding an event in January, there will be streams. But expect some people to break the NDA regardless.

Charecter design is good, but those human faces can't be more boring.
Skill design sound very generic so far, hope to see some more unique hero, also no direct healer?

EL CUCO

Never played a "moba" (that I can remember atleast) signed up for the Alpha testing.

Looking forward to giving this a shot.

Xeilyn

It looks pretty good, im a huge fan of Smite so ill gladly give it a shot. Im a bit worried that big team fights will be way too chaotic though but im sure they can tweak the effects and find a nice balance

Lucifon

Hmmm, looks visually pretty but completely soulless. Almost like a sci-fi smite with prettier visuals. Looks alot like a UT mod actually.

Haunted

The map and effects looks outstanding. Looks like Epic will be at the forefront in terms of their own engine just like they were last generation with Gears of War.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are we? The biggest TPS games of the last gen were probably Gears of War and Uncharted and you're not exactly a speedster in those. Not really understanding the Overwatch comparison either considering how different that game is.

Well I am at least.

I bring up Overwatch because it's a riff on the MOBA formula but with a TPS perspective but with shooter controls. As far as I can tell, Paragon units move at sub-DOTA speeds. I think that's just way too slow, DOTA already gets a lot of flak for feeling sluggish compared to its peers like League and HoN (reep). More mobility is the right direction, I think, once you move away from top-down perspective. I think other new MOBA/hero shooters like Gigantic seem to have the right idea in this regard.

Not saying it couldn't work, but I was expecting something more Titanfall and less whatever that pace is.

EDIT: Corrected

Omok

Banned
Well I am at least.

I bring up Overwatch because it's a riff on the MOBA formula but with a TPS perspective but with shooter controls. As far as I can tell, Paragon units move at sub-DOTA speeds. I think that's just way too slow, DOTA already gets a lot of flak for feeling sluggish compared to its peers like League and HoN (reep). More mobility is the right direction, I think, once you move away from top-down perspective. I think other new MOBA/hero shooters like Gigantic seem to have the right idea in this regard.

Not saying it couldn't work, but I was expecting something more Titanfall and less whatever that pace is.

EDIT: Corrected

The game is pretty slow paced as of now, I'm hoping they will increase the travel speed.

Art design doesn't look too great to me, looks like an unreal 4 tech demo in terms of feel. It's... Missing something....

That UI's pretty bad but it's alpha, so I'm assuming things will change.

Man, I wish I had gotten in this. I was selected for that beta survey after signing up a week or two ago, but nothing after that.

Looks great though.

Neol

I'm digging it and at least it has a sense of uniqueness compared to the other MOBA's out there.

Still blows my mind how they didn't show the gameplay trailer at PSX instead of that lame cinematic trailer as I feel more buzz would be around this game.

The graphics look great--I hope this is successful but they need more attention. I want to see how the PS4 controls will be and if it will utilize the touchpads

Acidote

There's no test date for the game on the PS4 yet right? I'm waiting to jump in on the Beta!

This is the invite email, so no date:

PLAY TOMORROW!
Hi there,

On Saturday (tomorrow!), we’re running our next Online Test for PC, and we’d love hear your thoughts and ideas as part of the next wave of players. If you can’t make it, don't worry, you’re already included in future Online Tests. Here are the details for tomorrow:

Saturday, Jan. 9
Noon - 8 p.m. EST
5 p.m. - 1 a.m. GMT

WHAT TO EXPECT

Paragon is still super early, so systems, gameplay and graphics are rough. You’ll encounter bugs, crashes, lag, imbalance, and longer than normal matchmaking times. If you’d rather wait until the game is more polished, please join us later this year.

Check out these videos for an overview of the Online Test:

Paragon Announce Trailer

WHAT TO DO NEXT

You can immediately download the Epic Games Launcher, which you’ll need to install the game. Then head over to the Alpha-only forums to read the release notes and learn more about how to play. For best results, make sure to update your graphics drivers. Also, check out the current recommended spec here.

THIS IS A PRIVATE TEST

To play, you’ll have to agree to a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), which means you can’t stream, capture video, post screenshots, or share any information with anyone outside the Alpha forums.

If you have a PS4, we’ll be testing both PC and PS4 later this year.

We appreciate your time and look forward to hearing your feedback. We promise to listen.

GLHF,

The Paragon Team

th4tguy

I know, but on the other hand they have such a great tool and produced many extremely good looking demo maps for the engine. The particles in this video are super high quality but materials, shaders and lighting don't look really good.
It's playable on ps4 too. I'm sure as it progresses both PC and ps4 version will get some extra polish. It needs to be playable first at this stage.

Top Bottom