• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Merchandise Line Announced for Japan: "Look Upon The Stars"

Cerium

If 2017 is Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, and finishing off in the holiday season with mainline Mario, they'll have no issues with sales momentum. On the other hand, it means 2018 might be a difficult year to fill with all their heavy hitters landing this year. Even Xenoblade is announced for 2017 and it seems they're still confident of that date.

Maybe they announce Metroid Prime Whatever at E3 for 2018, but I'm not sure beyond that. Smash Port?

The biggest established IP left would be Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, and NSMB (or Mario Maker). We're talking guaranteed multimillion sellers and hardware pushers.

After that the next tier would probably include Donkey Kong, Metroid, Pikmin, Kirby, Luigi's Mansion, and Fire Emblem. All are likely to do over a million.

Yeah, Nintendo has a lot of hot IP. And I don't remember where I read it, but I also recall that they intend to push a lot of new IP after year one.

Hmmm, would be kinda strange if it's for both systems with Switch not having the dual screens for menus and stuff, Most likely 3DS only. Would be interesting if wrong though.

would like to see people squirm if it's 3DS only.

Cerium

Hmmm, would be kinda strange if it's for both systems with Switch not having the dual screens for menus and stuff, Most likely 3DS only. Would be interesting if wrong though.

would like to see people squirm if it's 3DS only.

Sun and Moon already nixed a lot of those features, which is part of why Switch speculation has been so rampant.

They would still have to upres everything to 720/1080 which would be a ton of work with all of the different animations and models.

The battle models at the very least are already plenty hi-res. It's why the games run like shit on the 3DS. They went a little overboard with the future proofing on that one.

Neoxon

They would still have to upres everything to 720/1080 which would be a ton of work with all of the different animations and models. Gamefreak has only made one game at 1080, and it is a 2d platformer
All of the pre-existing Pokémon models have already been future-proofed for HD use. As Pokemaniac mentioned, it's why the current mainline 3DS Pokémon games run like crap. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing that Pokémon GO uses the same models as the other 3DS games.

Gleethor

There's no way this is going to be Switch exclusive.

I fully expect New 3ds / Switch situation like FE warriors.
I don't see the point. The entire reason people are hyped for Stars is because it will be at a resolution higher than 240p and playable on the TV.

Menitta

It is by far the best emoji

MCdr1ux.png

Neoxon

The textures aren't though.

That said, if they were planning an HD version from the beginning, that shouldn't be an issue.
Pokémon GO looks like it has HD textures, so it's likely that Game Freak already has HD textures ready to go.

Zalman

May 20th? Hmm...

If it doesn't get announced this month, I think they delayed it because Sun and Moon (and the 3DS in general) shattered expectations. We'll see.

Normally I'd agree with you (hell, I believed this at one point), but Eurogamer seemed pretty damn sure that Stars was Switch-only. Plus having a 3DS version would kinda give people a way out of the Switch's paid online. I'm not saying that a cross-gen release is unlikely, but rather that we shouldn't count out the possibility of it being Switch-only just yet.

The fact that the mainline Pokémon games have gone 3D kinda negates the need for a new Stadium game.

Until I get new Pokemon Stadium minigames, there will always be a need for a new stadium.
Also the rental system makes it super easy for anyone to come over and play with you, you don't need to build a team from scratch and level it up to sit down with 3 friends and play stadium.
Stadium had lots of fun features I miss.

ggx2ac

It still hasn't registered for me that Pokémon Sun and Moon shipped 15 million units in 5 months while X and Y took years to reach 16 million.

They may as well announce Stars soon.

tsundoku

They would still have to upres everything to 720/1080 which would be a ton of work with all of the different animations and models. Gamefreak has only made one game at 1080, and it is a 2d platformer
The reason that all of the last gen games and su/mo run like fucking garbage is because the carts already have hd models stuffed onto them.

Still
its going to be a N2DSXL bundle and maybe make its way to switch next year lol

Also not planning to bother with the game if Gamefreak cant get their head out of their ass and realize the half-way between sun and moon game should be called Eclipse and not "Stars"

Fredrik

For 3DS for sure, maybe for the Switch too but delayed in that case, they want to squeeze out as many 3DS sales as possible first.

Bluth54

For 3DS for sure, maybe for the Switch too but delayed in that case, they want to squeeze out as many 3DS sales as possible first.

I could see the game coming out on both 3DS and Switch (maybe the same game but they could be different versions).

Pokemon hasn't had a third version since Platinum. No way they would justify making one unless there was some reason to like maybe Nintendo asking Gamefreak to make a game in order to sell more systems.

Passose

Banned
If 2017 is Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Pokemon, and finishing off in the holiday season with mainline Mario, they'll have no issues with sales momentum. On the other hand, it means 2018 might be a difficult year to fill with all their heavy hitters landing this year. Even Xenoblade is announced for 2017 and it seems they're still confident of that date.

Maybe they announce Metroid Prime Whatever at E3 for 2018, but I'm not sure beyond that. Smash Port?
maybe 2018 is for their third parties games, like SMT HD, No More Heroes and the hinted Bayonetta along with the second wave first party games like Smash Bros Switch, Metroid(maybe), Donkey Kong and the next project of Retro Studios

Also not planning to bother with the game if Gamefreak cant get their head out of their ass and realize the half-way between sun and moon game should be called Eclipse and not "Stars"

What if I told you that the third version has never been a midpoint between the two main versions

Red, Blue, Yellow
Gold, Silver, Crystal
Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum

In none of these cases was the third version a hybrid or midpoint

spekkeh

Banned
If Pokemon is Switch exclusive say goodbye 3DS territory, hello WiiDS targets. I hope Nintendo can make 20M in a year lol.

(I doubt it will be)

Call me stupid but im so confused.
Wouldn't releasing Mario Kart, Mario, Splatoon, Pokémon, Zelda etc all in one year be too much. What will happen for the next 3 years? I'm freaking out that Nintendo are rushing things.

Yes they are shooting their load at the core early. But as said somewhere else before, Nintendo needs casuals and women to become successful, so expect more of a push in that direction next year. Animal Crossing, Layton, Pikmin, Fitness or Nintendogs like something. I think "for us" it's going to be Fire Emblem and Metroid.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pokemon hasn't had a third version since Platinum. No way they would justify making one unless there was some reason to like maybe Nintendo asking Gamefreak to make a game in order to sell more systems.

Eurogamer wouldn't have reported it without having actual details. Stars is happening.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I think 2018 is where they expect bigger 3rd Party contributions since the groundwork is already in place.

Retro Game, Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Luigi Mansion 3 and co. are games I would expect for 2018. in addition to substantial better 3rdparty efforts.

Caayn

Announce a Switch version already.

There's no chance in hell that it'd release before this summer but I'd love to be able to play Stars/Eclipse/BlackHole/whatever during my summer vacation.

Cartho

I still think it will be 3DS / Switch. They will want to capitalise on the sheer number of 3DS systems out there, but Nintendo will probably have pushed hard to get a version on Switch because they know that will mean they will sell every Switch they can make.

The HD models, the animations for Pokemon following you around in the world which were unused but left in the files, the axing of many touch screen / second screen features: they all point to GF having an eye on another system.

It makes sense if you think about the EG rumour: they said, in November 2016, that development for the Switch exclusive Stars was already "well under way" and that it had been being developed in parallel to Sun and Moon. This fits with how third versions have been done in the past and, if correct, means that they will have had MASSES of time to work through any issues in getting it working on Switch.

I reckon cross platform for Stars if it's a full third version or Switch exclusive if it is basically just an HD port - a "Sun and Moon deluxe" if you will.

Then the next Pokemon gen will hit Switch in late 2018 / 2019 and will be exclusive to the system. People go on about Black and White 2 coming out for the DS after the 3DS was launched but I don't think this means anything. BW2 were DS games yes, but the 3DS could play them - it was b/c. Nintendo will NOT want the Switch to go 2+ years without Pokemon - they know what a system seller it is. They will have probably pressured GF hard to get it on the system, even if it is just a port of Sun and Moon.

Shahadan

I'm going to be so mad when this is 3ds only.

While I would laugh my ass off it that happens, tbh I believe in a switch port if only because that's the logical thing to do. Future entries will inevitably end up being switch only so using a third version to do most of the base work is way easier and a smarter thing to do than just doing everything from scratch for the next gen

Top Bottom