• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

LordKano

New details roundup, courtesy of Nintendo Everything :
http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-tons-of-details-and-new-footage/
– Mario + Rabbids’ local co-op mode ups the squad size to four and lets two players take on a series of increasingly difficult challenge battles
– The bulk of the game sees you choosing a three-person squad (always Mario with two others)
– Take them into cordoned-off combat zones, then use a combination of movement, stat-heavy combat and special abilities to fight off an opposing force
– There doesn’t appear to be any ability to revive a downed squadmate
– The game’s combat areas aren’t just disconnected maps, but part of distinct worlds
– Areas include a lush garden, an ice-covered desert, a ghostly-themed area, and a volcano’s innards
– Each combat area has a single, seamless set of challenges
– Combat missions with different objectives
– Missions include defeating whole enemy forces, or reaching an end-zone
– Game has puzzle areas that require no combat
– Boss battles require bespoke tactics to beat
– First world takes 2-3 hours to complete
– Each world takes longer
– Every combat area is turned into a more difficult challenge objective once completed
– Game puts a huge premium on movement, particularly as a team
– Characters can technically only move once a turn
– By using both friends and enemies, that single move can be prolonged
– Running into an enemy performs a Dash melee attack that offers an extra spurt of movement afterwards
– Some characters can Dash multiple times, meaning you could attack three enemies, run through a Warp Pipe (another extra burst), run up to a squadmate, Team Jump (an extra-long bonus move) into cover, then fire again at the enemies you already hit
– Different character abilities
– Luigi has the Steely Glare ability that allows him to take extra sniper shots at any enemy moving past him
– Rabbid Yoshi has a move that scares enemies into moving during your turn, setting up Luigi to take extra shots
– Heroes differently to different situations, right down to how they take cover
– Rabbid Mario’s got a toothpick-chewing swagger, Rabbid Luigi is clumsy, Rabbid Peach has pathological sass
– The camera regularly zooms in and out, by turns picking out cinematic little details, then swooping up to turn the whole stage into a tilt-shift toybox
– Second level is from late in the game, called Spooky Trails
– Peach and her fire shotgun, a lethal close-quarters weapon that, if it doesn’t kill, leaves your enemies with a nasty burn
– It’s devastating power causes enemy Rabbids to scatter around the map holding their burned behind
– Enemies have intelligent AI and can outthink and outflank you with ease
– Local co-op mode puts you and a friend in charge of a pair of fighters each
– Easy mode included that heals your squad and boosts their HP count by 50% at the start of a fight

Nyx

Great news that it gets more complex later in the game. Just a few more weeks! :)

Oh and local co-op is very nice too!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This game looks amazing...coop mode sounds great, cant wait to tackle this one with my nephew - showed him the video during e3 and he has been hyped about it ever since too lol.

Palehorse

OH my. That boss.

That trailer gave me goosebumps. Preorder vindicated.

I can't wait until my two boys get to watch/play it with me, the giggling will be very loud. They'll laugh too, I'm sure.

Reveirg

Did they say anything about the co-op yet? Is it only a separate mode or can you play the story mode in co-op?

NSESN

The game can end up being bad. But just the fact that it looks so good and promising despite all odds is a feat itself.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT TRAILER!

THIS is something I think has been missing in the absence of Rare since the N64, that kind of humor and love. Grant being on this is used fucking brilliantly, it does feel like a Rare game in parts.

LordKano

Promotional screenshots from Ubisoft (they seems supersampled) :
mariorabbidskingdom_2157283b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157313b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157233b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157253b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157243b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157203b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157263b.jpg
mariorabbidskingdom_2157223b.jpg
mario-the-lapins-cretins-kingdom-battle-switch-3274b142.jpg
mario-the-lapins-cretins-kingdom-battle-switch-8adf9319.jpg
mario-the-lapins-cretins-kingdom-battle-switch-7ccbd488.jpg
mario-the-lapins-cretins-kingdom-battle-switch-67c44682.jpg

Mr. F

Banned
Is it blasphemous to maybe prefer Ubi's version of the mushroom kingdom over nintebdos? Some seriously gorgeous art direction/lighting. Can't wait.

Promotional screenshots from Ubisoft (they seems supersampled) :

Jeez even though they're supersampled you can tell how much work went into the art style for this game. It's really one of the best looking games in this style I've ever seen. Looks like a damn CG movie.

So...if this game does well, does it mean we'll see an XCom/XCom 2 port to the Switch?

Asking for a hopeful friend that bought Super SFII and is being rewarded with Resident Evil now.

This game has no right to be as good as it is shaping up to. Fucking hell if the Ubisoft takeover extinguishes this kind of creativity. :(

moeman

Damn that phantom was straight savage with Mario 😂

"It's-a-me, let's goooo, these are the only words you know

This game looks beautiful and in some regards looks more visually stunning than Mario Odyssey (though to be fair that game is pushing a lot more action at once).

Hasney

Theoretically, there's nothing stopping me from playing the co-op missions on my own with it being turn based, right?

moeman

Yeeeeeep.

I suppose I can squint REALLLLLLLLY hard and pretend the Rabbids are just another alien race that invaded the Mushroom Kingdom (like the Shroobs from M&L). But even there, it's a struggle.

This new trailer makes me confident that the game will move past the "bwah" jokes ad infinitum and actually give character to to the rabbids. I have hope that the game won't be a derivative take on them.

Top Bottom