• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

I was fully planning on swapping out my PS4 in the next week or two, but after sending it in four times with two repairs and I believe two replacements, Sony's customer support pulled through and accomplished something.

So my 1115 now is slightly quieter than my PS3 slim. Whatever they did got rid of the high pitched ring to it, and now its just a standard steady woosh. It doesn't appear to hit the godawful hair dryer volume it did before either. I sat down to play Second Son until the thing went into overdrive, and it just never happened. I ended up playing through 30% of the game in one sitting before realizing it was the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure I finally used the PS4 to sit down and enjoy a video game. A personal best.

I might still sell it to some friends, but the way it was before I wouldn't have been comfortable selling to anyone I didn't hate.

My experience just tells me that Sony's customer support is an absolute lottery. I won't be buying a console from any store that I can't immediately and repeatedly return/replace the thing from again.

The most notable change now is that my system is actually fairly cool to the touch now. Hearing the reports that the 1200's are hotter makes a lot more sense now that my 1115 isn't burning up all the time.

EDIT: this is by no means some "whisper quiet" nonsense. It still reads at about 58-60db at most times, but I would take a thousand of these before the 70db+ nightmare I had before. It's just finally in line with the reported volume range I see the system tested as.

M.D

Anyone else has that buzz noise coming out of their console? It's not coil whine, just some sort of buzz noise that sometimes changes and it sounds like it's coming from the front

You can barely hear it when there's no game being played, but when I played the Destiny demo it was very clear if you put your head next to the console

I looked into this on google, but all the complaints about a sound noise are about the disk drive, which was not being used when I played the Destiny demo

edit: I listened to it again and sometimes it makes another (while still making the buzzing noise) that I can't really describe.. just some weird ass noise. I don't know if that sound like plastic expanding from heat or like parts shaking in there or something. That noise also comes from the front of the console

edit 2: I found a video in this thread made by user rrrnzr (thanks!) comparing the noise of the original model and the cuh-1200 model, and it has the sounds I was trying to describe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adHm00MS5_I
The new model test starts at 4:54

Can anyone else with this model confirm that he's getting these sounds from his PS4?

Chronos24

Ok, so my incredible OCD from my last post has been for what now seems to be ok. I talked to my coworker who also got the new Destiny bundle and she said that the top of hers got warm at worst and was also dead silent.

SOOO.... using Gamestops amazing customer service I went to my local one, and exchanged the unit. THIS UNIT WAS SHIT! I could tell an immediate difference in the quality of parts used to assemble this one. It had problems right out of the box! Kept cutting off, and the optical drive made the whole thing make a very loud vibrating noise.

SUPER PISSED thinking that I just gave into OCD and that never ending search for the perfect PS4 I felt defeated. So, I packed up this system and took it back to gamestop again. And again, they were super awesome about it.

And here we are, my third system, sitting there and being the perfect little ps4 I was hoping to freaking god it would be. Quiet, no vibration, and overall could tell that the material used for this unit was much better. Cant express my relief here.

To reference the guy who was talking about the weird buzzing noise, the first model had that noise but the other two I could barely tell it at all. I'm sad to know that sony is still making people play the lottery in finding a good quality ps4, but they do exist. I should clarify that the first system's fan was quiet for the most part but would react immediately to whatever was on screen, and would ramp up fairly high at the start of every rocket league match and last of us match, along with the top getting hot, but was still no where near as loud as the olde rmodels. Destiny has been silent all the way.

TL:DR- great quality 1200 models are still a lottery find, but overall definitely quieter. Took 3 tries but it looks like this one really and truly is a winner here.

EDIT: Dont let my story scare anyone into getting the 1200 model I really think I've just had really bad luck with the consoles. Most of the people I've spoken with along with online reviews and such, you will probably be fine with the 1200 model should anyone choose to get one.

M.D

Ok, so my incredible OCD from my last post has been for what now seems to be ok. I talked to my coworker who also got the new Destiny bundle and she said that the top of hers got warm at worst and was also dead silent.

SOOO.... using Gamestops amazing customer service I went to my local one, and exchanged the unit. THIS UNIT WAS SHIT! I could tell an immediate difference in the quality of parts used to assemble this one. It had problems right out of the box! Kept cutting off, and the optical drive made the whole thing make a very loud vibrating noise.

SUPER PISSED thinking that I just gave into OCD and that never ending search for the perfect PS4 I felt defeated. So, I packed up this system and took it back to gamestop again. And again, they were super awesome about it.

And here we are, my third system, sitting there and being the perfect little ps4 I was hoping to freaking god it would be. Quiet, no vibration, and overall could tell that the material used for this unit was much better. Cant express my relief here.

To reference the guy who was talking about the weird buzzing noise, the first model had that noise but the other two I could barely tell it at all. I'm sad to know that sony is still making people play the lottery in finding a good quality ps4, but they do exist. I should clarify that the first system's fan was quiet for the most part but would react immediately to whatever was on screen, and would ramp up fairly high at the start of every rocket league match and last of us match, along with the top getting hot, but was still no where near as loud as the olde rmodels. Destiny has been silent all the way.

TL:DR- great quality 1200 models are still a lottery find, but overall definitely quieter. Took 3 tries but it looks like this one really and truly is a winner here.

EDIT: Dont let my story scare anyone into getting the 1200 model I really think I've just had really bad luck with the consoles. Most of the people I've spoken with along with online reviews and such, you will probably be fine with the 1200 model should anyone choose to get one.

Congratz on finding your perfect PS4 ;p

I played The Last of Us yesterday which was the first time I put a disc into the system and holllly shit! The noise I mentioned in the post above yours is gone or I can't hear it because the system is super loud when the disc was in.

I don't know if that's the game specifically because I see people often mention TLOU as a game that makes their system go nuts, but I never heard a console so loud. I don't think it was the fans either, because it did that as soon as I put the disk in, I think its the hard disk? or hard drive? Not really sure.

I'll try putting MGS5 in just to see if does the same thing.
Also, about heating - my system gets hot even while playing games from the HDD, but it's about as hot as my PS3 slim which I had from 2009 is, so not worried about that.

Hopefully my system is fine, but worst case scenario, I have a 2 years warranty for my PS4 where I live.

knerl

I played The Last of Us yesterday which was the first time I put a disc into the system and holllly shit! The noise I mentioned in the post above yours is gone or I can't hear it because the system is super loud when the disc was in.

I don't know if that's the game specifically because I see people often mention TLOU as a game that makes their system go nuts, but I never heard a console so loud. I don't think it was the fans either, because it did that as soon as I put the disk in, I think its the hard disk? or hard drive? Not really sure.

Also, about heating - my system gets hot even while playing games from the HDD, but it's about as hot as my PS3 slim which I had from 2009 is, so not worried about that.

Hopefully my system is fine, but worst case scenario, I have a 2 years warranty for my PS4 where I live.

Every game is loud while it's installing data. That noise comes from the disc drive. When people mention TLOU and noise it's the fan that's the culprit. When a game is done installing the disc will stop spinning. Reboot the game and it spins for a minute or two again and then stops.

M.D

Every game is loud while it's installing data. That noise comes from the disc drive. When people mention TLOU and noise it's the fan that's the culprit. When a game is done installing the disc will stop spinning. Reboot the game and it spins for a minute or two again and then stops.

I played TLOU again, and there's definitely sound coming from the vents but to my ears it sounds like there's sound coming from the front of the console as well

The buzzing sound is always present tho, no idea what's that all about

I gotta a question, I have a launch ps4 that I swapped the hdd to a 1tb, if I buy a new model can I just swap the hdd from my old launch ps4 with the new model? Kind of like plug in and play?

So SSD can solve this HDD sound issue. Hope the prices come down so i can buy one cheap.

Chronos24

I gotta a question, I have a launch ps4 that I swapped the hdd to a 1tb, if I buy a new model can I just swap the hdd from my old launch ps4 with the new model? Kind of like plug in and play?

Unfortunately no. You'll have to initialize it and reinstall everything.

I played TLOU again, and there's definitely sound coming from the vents but to my ears it sounds like there's sound coming from the front of the console as well

The buzzing sound is always present tho, no idea what's that all about

It's probably the sound of fan spinning.

Raoh

Looking forward to some new bundles with new PS4 model, hoping to trade in my launch model in for the new model.

Is the Battlefront PS4 bundle the new model?

Chronos24

For sure its the optical disc drive. It spins VERY fast at first and will for a while if the game is installing. After that each time you put the disc in it'll spin fast for a couple minutes then slow and eventually stop. BUT... when it comes to fan noise TLOU is quite guilty for causing the fan in the ps4 to ramp up pretty high. It's common for this game but not prevalent for all ps4s. Lots of people say thermal paste is the issue and believe me like I said from the last post it's like playing the lottery to find a truly quiet console.

Has anyone exchanged a CUH-1200 model and got one that *doesn't* have the high pitched whine? Just got mine this weekend and that exact issue has been annoying me. The thing is flawless outside of that.

OmegaFax

Has anyone exchanged a CUH-1200 model and got one that *doesn't* have the high pitched whine? Just got mine this weekend and that exact issue has been annoying me. The thing is flawless outside of that.

I think I know what you're taking about. There was a distracting noise that kept catching my ear when the system was idle or in suspend mode. The fans ramped up almost immediately after entering any game. Sometimes it couldn't decide whether to stay quiet or not mid-game.

OCD Guy

Preordered the black ops 3 bundle. I'm assuming this will be the 1200?

Yes any forthcoming bundles will be the new console.

Sony are no longer producing the older revision. Even the 1tb consoles produced today are the newer revision.

I'd imagine now even solo consoles are likely all new stock now too. At the rate the ps4 has been selling, I doubt many retailers have old stock lying around.

Vashetti

Banned
Preordered the black ops 3 bundle. I'm assuming this will be the 1200?

Anything going forward (obviously until a future newer model) will be the 1200. It's in Sony's best interests to sell a cheaper to make model in order to maximise profits and to get more reliable hardware into consumer hands.

Chronos24

I think I know what you're taking about. There was a distracting noise that kept catching my ear when the system was idle or in suspend mode. The fans ramped up almost immediately after entering any game. Sometimes it couldn't decide whether to stay quiet or not mid-game.

I have the Destiny TTK bundle. It's my third one actually. First one got quite hot on top and the fan got fairly loud at the start of anything but died down fairly quick. 2nd console was a total lemon the disc drive vibrated like hell but didn't keep it long enough to test the fan. Not sure if different factories have slightly different material but this one felt really cheaply made including the controller and it also had the dimple really bad. My third one is perfect in every way so far. Super quiet, no vibration from disc drive to speak of at all, just warm on top, and the controller feels great. It's sad to know its still like playing the lottery when finding a good one but I can say they do exist.

Quoting myself here, the system may have needed breaking in or something because I do not hear the high pitch noise much at all any longer. Anyone else experience the same?

Quoting myself here, the system may have needed breaking in or something because I do not hear the high pitch noise much at all any longer. Anyone else experience the same?

All 1200-models I had, didn`t make it past 2 days until I exchanged them. :)
One console didn`t whine at all but it was nearly as loud as the old revisions (in Bloodborne e.g.). I also had some 11xx models which were pretty silent but made that high pitched sound so my guess is all/most PS4 consoles whine but that sound wasn`t that noticable until the fan got quieter in the newest revision.

Chronos24

So all new bundles will be new models? I've been eyeing the Star wars limited edition one.

Yes that's correct. Read several of the previous posts. Though the system is overall better in terms of the common complaints like noise and whatnot, be mindful that you're not guaranteed one.

lukiluk

Can anyone tell me if it is applied to the ear with the back of the console (near the power plug) you can hear the characteristic squeak in standby mode CUH-1200?

On my model CUH-1116A is heard when it is connected to the mains.

USB, suspend mode and network are off in standby mode.

WITHE1982

Got my new PS4 from Game and it's the 1200 1TB black model (£309) with Driveclub and FIFA16.

It's whisper quiet so far and build quality looks pretty much spot on. The matte finish is a god send. No more dust, fingerprints and scratches no matter how careful were with the older model.

I'm hoping they've done a better job with the thermal paste as my older PS4 sounds like a messerschmitt taking off.

Overall I'm very pleased.

Chronos24

So has anyone done any HDD benchmarks on their new model? I recently put the HGST 7k1000 in mine and do notice a pretty decent difference in load times especially in TLOU and Bloodborne. Destiny areas also load up very quickly. My ship used to take forever to finally take off and land on any planet but now no matter where its a matter of seconds before I'm in one zone or another. So far quite pleased with this HDD

OmegaFax

I have the Destiny TTK bundle. It's my third one actually. First one got quite hot on top and the fan got fairly loud at the start of anything but died down fairly quick. 2nd console was a total lemon the disc drive vibrated like hell but didn't keep it long enough to test the fan. Not sure if different factories have slightly different material but this one felt really cheaply made including the controller and it also had the dimple really bad. My third one is perfect in every way so far. Super quiet, no vibration from disc drive to speak of at all, just warm on top, and the controller feels great. It's sad to know its still like playing the lottery when finding a good one but I can say they do exist.

I think I'm done with the hardware until there's a new revision or a redesign. I went and exchanged the system for a second unit and it's about the same as the first. It's going back. Just don't feel like throwing down my money on something I'm not completely happy with.

Chronos24

I think I'm done with the hardware until there's a new revision or a redesign. I went and exchanged the system for a second unit and it's about the same as the first. It's going back. Just don't feel like throwing down my money on something I'm not completely happy with.

Luckily for me, and I do mean thank god for GameStop customer service, I've only spent the amount of money to buy a single ps4. I've been through enough ps4's on the other hand, to equal several thousands of dollars. I just stayed stubborn with the 1100 models and when the 1200 model released that I FINALLY.......FINALLY....FOR THE LOVE OF PETE got one of those lottery PS4's that are actually truly quiet, and all around good quality. I believe that when a person claims to have a product that does as expected that the same of said products should for the most part be of equal quality. What we've dealt with so far is bullshit really.

Moreche

I just received my 1200 1 TB model but annoyed with how loose the power and eject buttons are, are they all like this?
Thanks.

Chronos24

I just received my 1200 1 TB model but annoyed with how loose the power and eject buttons are, are they all like this?
Thanks.

Could you be a little more specific on what you mean by loose? They're supposed to be mechanical and have a decent click to them. If that's you're biggest worry I'd say you have a great console that will hopefully be quiet for you.

Moreche

Could you be a little more specific on what you mean by loose? They're supposed to be mechanical and have a decent click to them. If that's you're biggest worry I'd say you have a great console that will hopefully be quiet for you.
The buttons have movement on each side and feel loose.

Ifrit

What are the chances of sony announcing a new PS4 model (slim?) at the PS Experience on December?

Don't know if I should finally get one on a bundle on Black Friday or waiting for a new model

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What are the chances of sony announcing a new PS4 model (slim?) at the PS Experience on December?

Don't know if I should finally get one on a bundle on Black Friday or waiting for a new model

Get the bundle. There's no slim coming this year. At the earliest it'll be announced next E3 because 16nmFinfet is coming in full force next year(hopefully).

But if your looking for a deal now, you'd be better off just buying.

Top Bottom