• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Famassu

Does it say what model it is on the box of the PS4? And are all the 1TB PS4s still older 1100-models? Someone I know is looking to buy a PS4 and I mentioned that there is a new PS4 model that should be a bit quieter etc., would like to instruct her a bit further.

Does it say what model it is on the box of the PS4? And are all the 1TB PS4s still older 1100-models? Someone I know is looking to buy a PS4 and I mentioned that there is a new PS4 model that should be a bit quieter etc., would like to instruct her a bit further.
Yes, front of the box should have the model. I know the UC bundle I gifted last month does.

Bgamer90

Banned
Best? Don't count on it. The last PS3 revision is fugly.

Yeah, the first remodel was the best.

Anyway, I have this PS4. Like the way it looks. Don't think I would like the way the old glossy/matte PS4 would look in my setup (mainly since my PS4 is next to my lamp).

My xbox one seems quieter but my PS4 isn't loud at all (at least so far).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Best? Don't count on it. The last PS3 revision is fugly.

efficiency wise i mean.

In terms of general quality, the initial slims were the best for seventh gen, both the 360 S and the PS3 Slim. The final revisions are too ghetto for me, garbage externals or pared back features

Jigolo

Yeah, the first remodel was the best.

Anyway, I have this PS4. Like the way it looks. Don't think I would like the way the old glossy/matte PS4 would look in my setup (mainly since my PS4 is next to my lamp).

My xbox one seems quieter but my PS4 isn't loud at all (at least so far).

It will be in the future I'm sure.

the21O

Neo Member
Quick question
Would anyone say it's worth it to trade in my old PS4 for the new model currently?
$225 trade-in at GS while getting the BF bundle (and UC) so is it worth the hassle?

I sold my ps4 on Craigslist for 270 earlier this week. It helped ease the pain of paying for the darth vader edition.

lupinko

Is there any info on whether the CUH-1200 models (specifically the CUH-1216A) being Made in Japan?

How about the CUH-1116A? From which model did they stop manufacturing them in Japan?

Those don't mean much anymore, my 60GB Made in Japan Japanese PS3 croaked when playing FF13 during the Christmas season many years ago.

Lynd7

Sorry to bump, but the 1tb's should mostly be the new revision now right? All I have to check is that it has 1200 in the number somewhere? I'm in Aust.

Thanks again.

Chronos24

Sorry to bump, but the 1tb's should mostly be the new revision now right? All I have to check is that it has 1200 in the number somewhere? I'm in Aust.

Thanks again.

Should be at this point yeah its been a few months now since release. I think last 1100 models were TLOU and even those had 1200 models mixed in the batch.

Is this something to be worry about got my ps4 on dec 6 and just now after playing MC while back in the UI it just turn off by itself

its the new 12xx model

M.D

Anyone with the new model have this problem where games skip the audio? I need to check again, but I'm pretty sure it only happened when I played 2 disc based games

For those interested ifixit has a detailed teardown of this model model.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+PlayStation+4+CUH-1200+Entire+Console+Disassembly/52475

vdIKOwPAUiKIcbNB

Is this something to be worry about got my ps4 on dec 6 and just now after playing MC while back in the UI it just turn off by itself

its the new 12xx model

Look on the power savings options and see if your PS4 is set to turn off by itself after a certain time.

Anyone with the new model have this problem where games skip the audio? I need to check again, but I'm pretty sure it only happened when I played 2 disc based games

2 disc based games?

Red Hood

Banned
CUH-1216a is a good model, no? Several retailers near me are selling it for €288, not too shabby. Nothing included except a controller, but still. Add €60 for Bloodborne GOTY and I'm ready to go.

bigol

i don't have the new model but still my games skip audio, digital or disc based, no difference.

Just adding my datapoint to the pool.

Picked up a SW Battlefront PS4 bundle at Best Buy and just finished moving my data from my old system to my new one using Backup and Restore. Worked like a charm and I have P.T. safe and sound on the new PS4 1215A.

Immediately noticed a massive difference in sound. Fans don't seem to spin up much at all ... have my old one next to the new one and just a simple match of Rocket League on both systems is enough to have my launch system ramping up the fan, and the new one barely audible.

Can hear a very slight whine from the 1215A but it's really really suble, and can only be heard next to the system with the tv on mute. Five feet away it's impossible to hear. Hell, one foot away it's impossible to hear.

Going to keep stress testing the new system, will try Nathan Drake Collection and Last of Us Remastered to see if I can get its fans to ramp up and see if the whine others report gets even louder.

Played through the remastered Uncharted 2 the other night and noticed the very loud launch system fans ... it's what prompted me to upgrade. So far so good.

Rathorial

Look forward to when they get around with a model that can properly maximize the speed of modern SSDs, come with wireless AC...and fix the battery life on that controller.

Yeoman

Just adding my datapoint to the pool.

Picked up a SW Battlefront PS4 bundle at Best Buy and just finished moving my data from my old system to my new one using Backup and Restore. Worked like a charm and I have P.T. safe and sound on the new PS4 1215A.

Immediately noticed a massive difference in sound. Fans don't seem to spin up much at all ... have my old one next to the new one and just a simple match of Rocket League on both systems is enough to have my launch system ramping up the fan, and the new one barely audible.

Can hear a very slight whine from the 1215A but it's really really suble, and can only be heard next to the system with the tv on mute. Five feet away it's impossible to hear. Hell, one foot away it's impossible to hear.

Going to keep stress testing the new system, will try Nathan Drake Collection and Last of Us Remastered to see if I can get its fans to ramp up and see if the whine others report gets even louder.

Played through the remastered Uncharted 2 the other night and noticed the very loud launch system fans ... it's what prompted me to upgrade. So far so good.
How would you say the fan sound compares to the Xbox 360 Slim?

How would you say the fan sound compares to the Xbox 360 Slim?

I actually sprung for the SPLnFFT audio measuring app last night after having bad luck with the free options.

Measured each from a couple inches away, with the consoles on but the rest of my entertainment center off (tv, receiver, etc).

360 Slim at Idle: ~43db.
PS4 1215A at Idle: ~38db.

In my very layman's terms I'd describe the 360 Slim as having two different pitches. A low and a mid.

I'd describe the PS4 as a single pitch, higher than the 360 Slim, but very quiet. Almost inaudible.

Between the two, the PS4 is definitely quieter, at least the model I have. Neither is noticeable from my couch six feet away.

Will try both in games later and look at the noise they are both making. I'm waiting on downloads (had to delete much of my old PS4 drive to do the backup/restore process, as I didn't want to wait for hours on games I rarely play).

I haven't been able to get my new PS4's fan up to the point I can hear it from the couch ... after a match of Rocket League it was louder but almost imperceptibly so. If anyone has a suggestion for a game that's going to tax the system enough to get the fans ramped to actually hear if this "whine" is annoying, let me know. Planning to try Last of Us and Driveclub this evening.

Should note that I am very sensitive to high frequency sound and have to shut my launch Xbox One down completely because the whine from its power brick is noticeable from across the room. In sound mix sessions I'll be the one douche who hears a high pitch sound and forces the engineer to hunt the stems to figure out which one is causing it.

Chronos24

Well, I may be one of the first in here to finally say that after a few months now owning the Destiny TTK console, its finally starting to have the fan ramp up higher. It WAS NOT like this at first. Everythinf was quiet no matter what game i played. I should warn you guys that yes even though I've been so ridiculously OCD over this console and have kept as much dust as possible away and have kept the console very well ventilated. It's still not bad mind you, nothing like the older models for sure, but damnit it is getting "louder". Just be aware that after a while it could get louder kn those games we've claimed quiet at first.

Well, I may be one of the first in here to finally say that after a few months now owning the Destiny TTK console, its finally starting to have the fan ramp up higher. It WAS NOT like this at first. Everythinf was quiet no matter what game i played. I should warn you guys that yes even though I've been so ridiculously OCD over this console and have kept as much dust as possible away and have kept the console very well ventilated. It's still not bad mind you, nothing like the older models for sure, but damnit it is getting "louder". Just be aware that after a while it could get louder kn those games we've claimed quiet at first.

Yeah that's what I'm assuming will happen.

I can tell the 1215A has a bit of a whine, but it's really really low right now. If the fans spin up to full blast a few months from now, I'll be regretting getting rid of my launch system (which has noticeable fans, but isn't high pitched).

Thankfully have a month on the trade-in I started with Amazon, and to possibly return this new system to Best Buy, so I'll have to decide. Leaning to keeping the new system.

One small thing I've noticed with the new 1215A model is that the controller signal is less apt to run into interference than my Launch model.

I have all my consoles in an entertainment center beneath the TV, and it's a huge industrial tool chest style unit. Heavy steel.

The spot for the PS4 is behind a steel mesh door which I've always had to open up if I'm playing from clear across the room (have a gaming monitor mirroring the HDMI connection about twenty feet away).

That mesh door always broke up the controller signal from that distance, but for whatever reason the 1215A is able to receive every command from the same controller which had trouble talking to the Launch unit.

FWIW my Launch XB1 also has trouble talking to its controllers with the mesh door closed, but this new PS4 seems to be a champ.

Chronos24

Yeah that's what I'm assuming will happen.

I can tell the 1215A has a bit of a whine, but it's really really low right now. If the fans spin up to full blast a few months from now, I'll be regretting getting rid of my launch system (which has noticeable fans, but isn't high pitched).

Thankfully have a month on the trade-in I started with Amazon, and to possibly return this new system to Best Buy, so I'll have to decide. Leaning to keeping the new system.

Oddly enough I don't notice the "whine" as much when the fan does actually kick up it more just sounds like the whoosh of air sound is louder.

webkatt

So I have a launch console and j am getting the disc eject problem. It randomly spits out discs with no touch.

Any way I can get Sony to upgrade me to the 1200 at no cost to me?

Draper

So I have a launch console and j am getting the disc eject problem. It randomly spits out discs with no touch.

Mine, after seconds of turning it on, beeps twice, and then turns back off.

Good stuff.

Three

A launch console? That means warranty has long expired so doubt it. You can do a few things though clean the button area with a dry microfiber cloth and make sure it isn't near anything conductive like metal. Make sure your power cable or extension is ok.

LordOfChaos

Here's hoping. Or am I reading this completely wrong?

Following chips existed at previous models are now missing:
- Fujitsu USB 3.0-SATA bridge
- Marvell Ethernet LSI
- Genesys Logic USB 3.0 hub controller LSI

The secondary processor CXD90036G has direct connection to all of them (the guy speculates Sony may have eliminated USB3.0 - SATA conversion).

Was the move away from the SATA to USB bridge ever confirmed? If so did the CUH-1200 see any better performance jumps from upgrading to an SSD, without the USB overhead?

Here it's speculated otherwise
http://www.*****************/2015/0...w-model-shows-more-differences-with-cuh-1100/
whoops, banned site, but from the comments -
Following chips existed at previous models are now missing:
- Fujitsu USB 3.0-SATA bridge => moved into Southbridge
- Marvell Ethernet LSI => in the HDMI chip or southbridge
- Genesys Logic USB 3.0 hub controller LSI => moved into southbridge

The secondary processor CXD90036G (Southbridge) now has direct connection to all of them

mabec

I got one too now. It made quite alot of buzzing sound when you played and downloaded something at the same time, but i imagine that change if you pause the download (which is by the way terribly slow on PS4, for some reason)

LCGKKrJ.png

Caayn

I got one too now. It made quite alot of buzzing sound when you played and downloaded something at the same time, but i imagine that change if you pause the download (which is by the way terribly slow on PS4, for some reason)
Where's the noise coming from? If it's coming from the left side of the console its probably the hard drive doing its best to keep up.

Downloads have been improved since the 3.x firmware, not super fast but a lot better than before.

LordOfChaos

Have there been CUH-1200 disk load benchmarks yet? Since the earlier models had relatively small gain with SSDs, and also had a SATA through USB 3 bridge for the hard drives (probably for trustzone), I'm curious if the 1200 is any better, and if the USB bridge is gone.

lupinko

I'm debating buying a glacier white model CUH-1200 and the older Crimson Red Suzaku Type 0 PS4.

Should I even bother with the novelty?

I'm not really a FF fan more for the red PS4, but white is nice too.

For harddrive covers I just won a new Frozen one off yahoo auctions and am getting a blank white one colour laser engraved with a special design.

I wanted black originally but white cover two tone doesn't look as nice as black cover two tone.

The video below shows it off quite nicely.

http://youtu.be/JFriktiFchQ

That or I can just wait more.

Edit: I mean wait more for other potential special PS4s.

Top Bottom