• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) tore down - consumes 26W less at load, 5 dB quieter on avg

crinale

what are they comparing the new model against for sound? My launch PS4 was pretty noisy, but my white one is very quite. Seems like there is a lot of variation between individual units so I'd take one measurement with a grain of salt.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075088

Well according to the thread above the stark noise level difference between individual units seem to be caused by how well thermal paste is inserted (this may be only place where personnel at the factory can make difference in such products anyway).
We do know the new unit makes less heat so that should do more benefit than harm at least (they are using exact same fan unit).

Blanquito

Can anyone link me to the article about the ARM chip not being good enough for powering the background downloads? I missed this and want to read it. Thanks.

shandy706

52-56dB is higher than I expected.

My gaming Rig use to blow that away at like 70+dB. before I got my 980. It's more in the 55-65 range now.

As for my X1 and Wii U...I can't even tell if they're on.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is a duuuuumb question, but is there any reason to wait for this model to show up stateside? If I were to go buy a bundle/system right now, would I regret it in a few months?

All 12xxx are new. The 1TB model they're releasing is a 11xxB, that's why it's the old specs.

Thankfully I read your post. I was about to pull the trigger on the new 1TB model. Guess I'll wait until the official slim version before upgrading. In the meantime, I'll just delete installed disc games for more space.

Dezeer

is it possible to make 2Gb GDDR5 modules? is samsung planning to do that in the future?

You mean 2GB? lowercase b is for bit and capital for byte, size difference of 8. It might be possible to make 2GB GDDR5 chips, but I don't think we will see that, as the industry is moving to either HBM, HMC or LPDDR4.

Happy with the PS4, must admit.... a cooler quieter option is fantastic news for those who still need to get.

Well sick with mine and praying for no red ring of death type action. Went through 3x 360's... hence back onto sony after skiping ps2 for xone after my ps1 died.

hesido

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1075088

Well according to the thread above the stark noise level difference between individual units seem to be caused by how well thermal paste is inserted (this may be only place where personnel at the factory can make difference in such products anyway).
We do know the new unit makes less heat so that should do more benefit than harm at least (they are using exact same fan unit).

In other words, the new box should be affected less from bad manufacturing.

I seriously need to check my PS4's paste.

Remember what happened last time attackers got the hardware keys, psn shutdown for a month and absolute chaos. Whats that compared to a very slightly increased electricity bill for the end user.
Indeed. That's why I suspect the keys never leave the heavily secured and undocumented custom ARM. I mean, the code that runs on that thing is probably audited to hell and back.

Banned
waiting for the gray slim model to match the anniversary controllers ;)
I'll trade in everything if they release a PS1 grey PS4 that isn't an anniversary edition. Imagine the light on the console was green? And the coloured PS logo?

Biker19

Banned
Next revision is probably a slim next year on a 16nm finfet process.

Yes which makes more sense. This is like a revision 1.1 change where some minor spin revisions of existing chips have been made. There should be a dramatic change in the next hardware revision.

That'll be good news, especially considering that I don't own a PS4 as of yet.

This is a nice start, but I'll be waiting for the inevitable actual "Slim" model to release.

Me too. It would be great to own 3 different PS slim models (PS2 Slim, PS3 Super Slim, & PS4 Slim) to play the entire library of PS1-PS4 games natively. :)

It is 50% less chips but the same number of overall bits. They run at the same rate and same voltage. There will be some overhead for the extra chips, sure, but it would not be that significant.

Not sure I understand your point about bond wires, as this is flip-chip.

Okay,

Flip chip means that solder balls are directly adhered to the chip. In this case, it is true there is no bond wire (the interface between chip and ball is actually a thin layer of copper over parts of the die acting kind of like vias on a mobo)

Looking at the motherboard, not all the chips are flip chip. I certainly spot some QFN devices.

Okay,

Flip chip means that solder balls are directly adhered to the chip. In this case, it is true there is no bond wire (the interface between chip and ball is actually a thin layer of copper over parts of the die acting kind of like vias on a mobo)

Looking at the motherboard, not all the chips are flip chip. I certainly spot some QFN devices.

There are definitely some leaded parts, but I was referring solely to the APU. The padout becomes too numerous to route everything from the edge, from a die route density and bond wire density standpoint.

There are definitely some leaded parts, but I was referring solely to the APU. The padout becomes too numerous to route everything from the edge, from a die route density and bond wire density standpoint.

That's one reason. Another is without the bondwire you are able to lower the RDSon if you use a device with integrated FETs (saves board space). But probably a little technical for this discussion. :)

Regarding the new PS4 model, do we know what thermal paste they're using?

I'm kind of wondering if anyone will start using something like arctic silver or IC diamond by default for their assembly.

Top Bottom