• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PSX model

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
psx01.jpg

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200406/06-0616/

Don't have a clue about differencies with other models except of color and HDD capicity (?)

XS+

Banned
Seriously why didn't PS2 end up looking as hot as this?

1. PSP
2. PSX
3. PSOne
4. PS1

5. PS2, ugliest edition of PS family by a longshot

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The best I can get from the Babelfished translation is that it appears they've at least incorporated most/all of the omitted features that required software updates in the original models. GUI looks like its been enhanced as well.

According to this, the PSX will be released in US and Europe this year. I've been waiting for more news. Hopefully it will be affordable as I've been holding off on Tivo

Sony updates PSX range in Japan
Rob Fahey 13:44 16/06/2004

After a rocky start, Sony hopes new features will win consumers over

New versions of Sony's multi-function games console, digital video recorder and DVD burning device, the PSX, are set to arrive in Japan at the start of next month - with a host of software changes to add extra functionality to the device.

Both versions of the PSX - the DESR-5000 and the DESR-7000, sporting 160Gb and 250Gb hard drives respectively - will be upgraded, with new version numbers 5100 and 7100 being slapped on the chassis.

However, the actual hardware will remain exactly the same - the only difference will be that the DESR-5100 will be available in a limited edition silver model as well as the standard white colour, and more splitter cables and antenna cables will be included in the box to work around the system's lack of pass-through sockets for TV signals.

The difference in the new PSX is all under the hood - with a massive overhaul of the system's software promised which will introduce all of the features originally promised for the device (which current PSX owners can already download as firmware updates for their systems) as well as a host of new functionality.

The DVD burning functionality of PSX is where the bulk of the improvements are headed - with the company now allowing users more choice in terms of what quality they record their video to disc at, and giving them the ability to select audio channels when dubbing to a DVD rather than recording both in VR-mode, thus improving compatibility with other DVD players greatly.

The most interesting new feature, though, is the ability to create interactive menus for your DVDs - with fifty different templates available for the creation of attractive menus for your digital video creations. You'll also be able to split recorded footage into chapters, a fairly essential feature for creating useful DVDs.

Outside of DVD recording, the company is also promising a host of new user interface improvements, the ability to browse pages on the PlayStation BB broadband service (although you still won't be able to download content) and a number of vital bug fixes.

Owners of existing PSX models will be able to add all of these new features to their existing consoles with a firmware update, effectively turning them into new model devices in every way bar the number on the back of the box.

As such, this move is more a chance for Sony to relaunch the PSX to the public than anything else. The new devices - which will probably retail for a slightly lower price than the original PSX versions - will be hugely competitive DVD / HD recording devices, and if Sony can restore confidence in retailers and consumers alike with this relaunch, PSX should be able to recover from its slightly disappointing performance this year so far.

PSX is due to be launched in the USA and Europe before the end of the year. It's expected that the new PSX models (5100 and 7100) with their updated firmware will be what eventually ends up on US and European retail shelves.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gunsmoke said:
A little off topic, but . . .

Has there been any new info on an estimated date for the release of the PSTwo ?

As in the smaller size version of PS2. [in the same vain as PSOne]

No, I think everything suggested about the PSTwo right now has been rumors.

kaching said:
No, I think everything suggested about the PSTwo right now has been rumors.

And the Network Adaptor and the Hard Drive have got to really be causing fits for the design of the damn thing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I doubt they'd design the PSTwo around the idea of being a replacement for PS2 existing customers. If anything just integrate the Network adapter which would be easy enough to do. HDD wouldn't necessarily have to be included, esp. since support is very sparse.

Back on topic, the HD Loader that was just introduced would make a great fit with the PSX...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The new devices - which will probably retail for a slightly lower price than the original PSX versions - will be hugely competitive DVD / HD recording devices, and if Sony can restore confidence in retailers and consumers alike with this relaunch, PSX should be able to recover from its slightly disappointing performance this year so far.
okay, I want a price.

Regarding the HD Loader, it would only recognize the first 127gb of the HDD in the PSX if it would work with it.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/16/news_6100788.html

Slightly revamped PS2/DVR hybrid will feature improved DVD recording capabilities and partial PlayStation BB compatibility.

TOKYO--Sony today announced that it will release two new models of its multifunction PlayStation 2 and DVD recorder, the PSX. Like the original, the new PSX will be available in two models--the 160MB hard drive DESR-5100 and the 250GB HD DESR-7100. Both will come in the same color and case as the original PSX, though Sony will also release a limited-edition silver DESR-5100.

Scheduled to ship on July 1, the new PSX's main improvements are in its DVD recording capabilities, although there are also minor tweaks in the machine's screen menu. Users will have the option to manually set the recording quality for DVDs, enabling longer movies to fit on a single disc. The machine will also have 50 preinstalled templates to allow users to create their own DVD menus. The new PSX will also come with DVD+RW and DVD-RW compatibility already installed.

Aside from having improved DVD capabilities, the new PSX will let users surf the PlayStation bulletin boards, something the original PSX could not do. However, the new PSX will still not allow users to view or play content downloaded from the PlayStation BB, presumably as an antipiracy measure.

Neither the DESR-5100 nor the DESR-7100 has a set price, though they are expected to cost around 74,000 yen ($675) and 95,000 yen ($868), respectively. Previous PSX models retailed for 79,800 yen ($728) for the 160GB DESR-5000 and 99,800 yen ($911) for the 250GB DESR-7000.

Luckily, owners of the first PSX models do not have to go out and buy a new machine. Sony will be providing an update on July 15 that will give older PSXes the same capabilities as the new versions.

Subitai said:
Man, they're really sticking with this. It makes me wonder if they're doing this instead of a PSTwo.

Nope, they've already said that this and the PS2 are for 2 different markets. They aren't trying to sell the PSX to the PS2 owners. If there is a PSTwo we'll see it whenever they do their 99 price drop like we did with the PSone.

B'z-chan

Banned
Can i ask this...
Can you play FFXI on it and does it have a good laser that wont go out on me after two years like my PS2?

Subitai

SolidSnakex said:
Nope, they've already said that this and the PS2 are for 2 different markets. They aren't trying to sell the PSX to the PS2 owners. If there is a PSTwo we'll see it whenever they do their 99 price drop like we did with the PSone.
You're right, but it still makes me wonder.

DCharlie

Banned
"The difference in the new PSX is all under the hood - with a massive overhaul of the system's software promised which will introduce all of the features originally promised for the device (which current PSX owners can already download as firmware updates for their systems) as well as a host of new functionality."

at f*cking last!

i wonder if they'll enable the svideo input port???

latest issue - the HDD doesn't clean up itself instantly.
given various whirls and clicks, the machine seems to clean itself up at night.

I deleted a load of stuff off the HDD when i was getting the "HDD full" message. But even after that, i was still getting the HDD full message (i cleared half the stuff on there).

The next morning , normal service was resumed, but i couldn't record the world footsal special that i wanted to that night. Grrr.

oh, and any chance of Cable support?

Miburou

Didn't someone post a story on this board that said that they were discontinuing the PSX? Was that all a load of bull?

XS+ said:
Seriously why didn't PS2 end up looking as hot as this?

Considering the overall reaction to the Xbox's size in Japan, do you think it'd been smart for Sony to go with something as big as the PSX?

teepo

Miburou said:
Didn't someone post a story on this board that said that they were discontinuing the PSX? Was that all a load of bull?

i think he ment discounted and it was on tokyopia.com

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
scola said:
Can I get a few more logos on the front? Thanks!

Yeah, there is still some room left on the bottom row

Ah. We discussed about this new model today in my class. The professor brought the new ad to class. I thought it was the old machine until I saw the new date.

XS+

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Considering the overall reaction to the Xbox's size in Japan, do you think it'd been smart for Sony to go with something as big as the PSX?
The successor to the madly popular PS1 platform could have looked like a big fat brown turd (and it does! In a way) and still would have sold millions. PS2 isn't #1 worldwide because it's a sleek, compact and elegant console (because it ain't).

DCharlie

Banned
actually - in person it looks pretty good.

unlike the xbox , it isn`t curvy ontop so you can still stack things on top.

Miburou

teepo said:
i think he ment discounted and it was on tokyopia.com

No, I was pretty sure it said discontinued. It was a while ago (on the old board), and some were even saying how Sony is giving up, etc. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

Tabris

4 Questions.

1) Does the HDD work as a PS2 HDD also? So can you install games (like FFXI)?

2) Does the Ethernet jack work as a PS2 network adapter? So I can play online games?

3) Does it run PSOne games?

4) Any reason for this not to replace my current PS2 when it comes here? Because I want the features of the PSX, and if I can sell my old PS2 at the same time, that would be great.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
How many units did it already sell in Japan? As I recall, some members called it a "flop" so it could be interesting to have factual data.

DCharlie

Banned
"1) Does the HDD work as a PS2 HDD also? So can you install games (like FFXI)?"

yes

"2) Does the Ethernet jack work as a PS2 network adapter? So I can play online games?"

yes

"3) Does it run PSOne games?"

yes - BUT THEY AREN`T ENHANCED!!!!

"4) Any reason for this not to replace my current PS2 when it comes here? Because I want the features of the PSX, and if I can sell my old PS2 at the same time, that would be great."

Keep your PS2 and save up for a REAL harddisk recorder. Over here at least, there are HDD recorders with better functionality for around the same price.

DCharlie said:
Keep your PS2 and save up for a REAL harddisk recorder. Over here at least, there are HDD recorders with better functionality for around the same price.

From what I've heard this is exactly what you should do. For the money you spend on the damn thing you might as well dump in a few hundred more and get a superior NEC model, that won't let you down in any regard. Well other than you can't play PS2 games, but you can do that anyways before you would buy a DVD Recorder.

XS+

Banned
Last time I saw the PSX in person was back in Spring or something, so I sorta forgot what it looks like, but it's smaller than Xbox, right?

Top Bottom