• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Movie With Higher Budget in Development by Screen Gems

Draugoth

Gold Member
afterlife.jpg

The latest scoop from the industry suggests that work on a new Resident Evil movie has commenced. Our trusted source tells us that the script for the latest movie is almost ready, and Screen Gems will commence with the casting work and filming soon.

Screen Gems has set a higher budget for this movie compared to The Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City ($25 Million). Screen Gems plans to finance the movie along with distribution, so expect much more from the sequel.

Source: https://insiderfandom.com/new-resid...dget-in-development-by-screen-gems-exclusive/

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t watch the TV show, but I own the films. The reception of the show here, was that it was very bad. I’d rather them use the money on game development. I also don’t get why these movies keep getting made, especially after Monster Hunter.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't get why people ask questions like these over stuff that clearly makes money. Isn't the answer already obvious?
because fans complain so much of the quality of their work. Monster Hunter’s budget was 60 million and they made 48 million in box office sales according to the wiki. If they spend millions making these films, will they make their money back?

Also, people say this in a similar way about AAA games. Isn’t that obvious? 🤷

I am on the side of where I grew up playing RE on PS1 and I can’t stand their direction at times.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
because fans complain so much of the quality of their work.
Yet people still watch them, a much better question would be; why don't they get better staff for these projects?
BTW, why using MonHun as an example, which it's not that much of a blockbuster franchise internationally compared to Resident Evil (at the very least, not back in 2020), when Welcome to Raccoon City was still a financial success?
Also, people say this in a similar way about AAA games. Isn’t that obvious? 🤷
Gamers, especially on forums, say the dumbest things. Not a very good comparison, IMO.

Last edited:
I didn’t watch the TV show, but I own the films. The reception of the show here, was that it was very bad. I’d rather them use the money on game development. I also don’t get why these movies keep getting made, especially after Monster Hunter.
The TV show had two very interesting ideas, the inner workings of Umbrella pre-virus outbreak, and seeing what was left of the desolate zombie-filled world years afterwards in the future.

Both would make for great video games.

However, the latter signifies that BSAA, UN, and the American Government failed after Revelations and RE 6.

Last edited:

SHA

Nothing beats the RE add, they should measure upto that level cause it just feels authentic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

You tried twice, you failed.

No interest unless they're going to use the Romero script as the template.

Last edited:
Resident Evil is a great game not because of its story. It's a trashy B movie. The film adaptations will either be trashy and bad and faithful. Or they could do something respectable but at that point why use the resident evil ip?

Pointless either way imo.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

You tried twice, you failed.

No interest unless they're going to use the Romero script as the template.
Believe it or not, the 2002 script lifted some elements from the Romero script, like the laser room guarding the computer but the romero one was better because they get stuck in there with zombies. romeros script even describes the lasers forming a “tight net”

Valt7786

Welcome to Raccoon City is the most faithful adaption we've had yet.

I wish they followed it up with a proper sequel.
And they still fucked it up. Only a few select scenes and costumes are in anyway faithful.
Chris and Claire being brought up in an orphanage by Birkin.
Chris being the one with the bike and Claire being a "conspiracy" nut.
Mexican Leon being an utter dumbass.
Black Jill being in love with Wesker.
Chief Irons being a coward instead of corrupt maniac.
Wesker being mixed with Barry and being coerced by Umbrella and Ada instead of being the actual antagonist.

Whole thing is utter dogshit and needs to be forgotten.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Is the budget high enough for the screenwriter to do research into the franchise beyond watching Skillet AMVs featuring Leon on YouTube?

Hahahahaofcoursenot

And they still fucked it up. Only a few select scenes and costumes are in anyway faithful.
Wesker being mixed with Barry and being coerced by Umbrella and Ada instead of being the actual antagonist.

Damn, I'm going to have to go back and rewatch.

I remember it being better than what you've described here, if nothing else it was creepier. My memory has probably failed me, though.

But particularly the Lisa Trevor bit, the Ashford twins setup for the sequel, and the train sequence were on point. Right?

Maybe not.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

It's like they couldn't resist fucking it up.
Funny thing is Movie Critics will praise the game stuff and criticise the Hollywood injected crap and blame it on being an adaptation of a silly game.

bumpkin

If they aren’t completely pivoting away from the style, Welcome to Raccoon City wasn’t fundamentally bad. You just had to ignore them portraying Jill as a thirsty (for Wesker) bitch, Leon being a bumbling fool, and introducing the weird orphanage angle for Chris and Claire.

Well, all that and the low budget VFX.

Last edited:
The first Resident Evil movie was quietly one of the best zombie movies and one of the best video game movies ever made

The movie franchise went downhill after the first one though
I don't think so. It has a made for SyFy TV plot with high production values. The deaths lack weight and there are practically no basic survival story beats that make zombie flicks memorable. I would go so far as to say the low production quality Day of the Dead (2008) is a better zombie flick.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

If they pull off anything decent I'll be surprised. I remember watching the first RE movie in theaters and leaving thinking, "Well, that wasn't great, but it could've been a lot worse. I guess it was okay." After that they just got worse and worse I felt. I also didn't watch anymore after 2 TBH, lol. I didn't even give that last film or that show a shot, all of them had this "writing on the wall" feel about them. I'd love to see them pull off something decent or more than that. But I feel like that will never happen. I'd love to be wrong.

If they pull off anything decent I'll be surprised. I remember watching the first RE movie in theaters and leaving thinking, "Well, that wasn't great, but it could've been a lot worse. I guess it was okay." After that they just got worse and worse I felt. I also didn't watch anymore after 2 TBH, lol. I didn't even give that last film or that show a shot, all of them had this "writing on the wall" feel about them. I'd love to see them pull off something decent or more than that. But I feel like that will never happen. I'd love to be wrong.
There is great entertainment value in Resident Evil: Retribution. It is a fun sidestory with great references to the videogame series.

They should make it R-Rated this time, a zombie movie without gore just doesn’t work for me. But I am sure they had enough success so they will avoid a R-Rating again…

Lambogenie

Make Dino Crisis. Zombie trend is gone. Dinos got no competition and what's there is shit.

Heck, make Planet of Apes but replace Apes for dinosaurs. That's your Dino Crisis movie right there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just stick to the fucking source material cunts!

They did. Welcome to Raccoon City is pretty faithful, the only big misstep it takes is merging both RE1 and RE2 in the same 90 minute movie (and butchering Leon as a character). Otherwise it's extremely faithful to the characters, locations etc.

Aion002

After that terrible netflix series and that disgusting pathetic piece of shit movie (Welcome to Raccon City), I am really curious if they can make something worse.

Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Make Dino Crisis. Zombie trend is gone. Dinos got no competition and what's there is shit.

Heck, make Planet of Apes but replace Apes for dinosaurs. That's your Dino Crisis movie right there.
I can see it now...
This-Week-Invincible-208-1140x570.jpg

TRAVELER - Get away from me you filthy reptiles!
DINO #1 - [GASP] It speaks!
DINO #2 - Inconceivable!
DINO #3 - I've never been so insulted in all of my life!

It's depressing that as I get older, I'm so desperate for something that feels relevant to me that I'd actually welcome a new Paul WS Anderson and crew Resident Evil movie. That's how bad things are today. I binged the whole series recently with my wife after the two of us saw the first 2 in theaters back in high school and skipped the rest, and honestly after watching Welcome to Raccoon City and seeing clips from that god awful series, it made the shitty original run look amazing. We've fallen so far in such a short time it's horrifying. Everything after 2015 is corrupted to the core. It just feels all so wrong, gaming, movies, TV, music all of it. The world we grew up with no longer exists and it's been replaced with something deplorable.

Top Bottom