• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Source 2 direct-feed screenshots - Taken from Valve's VR presentation

Durante

Now people will look at these, compare them to what they see in their latest sub-1080p 30FPS post-AA'd frame of reference, and conclude that it's not impressive.

While disregarding all of this (and all the other challenges of VR rendering, such as latency and geometry amplification):
pixelsvts0b.png

aliasing16gklg.png

aliasing2okknc.png

Context, my dear friends, is everything.

PaulloDEC

It doesn't look super hot, but then an ugly room is an ugly room regardless of which engine you render it in.

I'm sure they've got something more impressive in the works.

Nibel

People should read the presentation and others' impressions of the demo. This is about VR rendering, not what Source 2 is really capable of in a desktop environment.

I would also add that they probably used a bunch of already exisiting Portal assets instead of creating new ones.

This should in no way be taken as indication of what Source 2 can do.

comparison.jpg

I want to believe

Real time shadows and baked GI. 2008 called and wanted its tech back.
Now people will look at these, compare them to what they see in their latest sub-1080p 30FPS post-AA'd frame of reference, and conclude that it's not impressive.

While disregarding all of this (and all the other challenges of VR rendering, such as latency and geometry amplification):

While VR plays a big part into why this looks the way it does... one would also hope that Source 2 can actually muster up something new on the graphical non-vr front. Perhaps.. at the least high IQ given its compatibility with MSAA.

Sinfamy

Don't judge the Source 2 engine based on screenshots from a VR demo that is based on Portal 2.

Visuals are the least important part of a game engine, as they are simple assets only limited by the artists.

Freeman

Banned
It's not for you as a consumer.
So why do Unreal and Unity have demos available for everyone then? Also Valve proposition is for Source 2 to be available free for everyone.

They are excessively secretive, to the point where they rather have terrible compressed images of their engine circulating than providing people with a proper glimpse of how the engine is shaping up.

jediyoshi

What a hilarious premise for a thread. Here's a section from a demo actually meant for presentation

http://a.pomf.se/ggbwxs.webm

So why do Unreal and Unity have demos available for everyone then? Also Valve proposition is for Source 2 to be available free for everyone.

They are excessively secretive, to the point where they rather have terrible compressed images of their engine circulating than providing people with a proper glimpse of how the engine is shaping up.

Are you actively trying to misconstrue that post?

yes but have u seen The Order?

it has DOF and CA and PBR and other things that make the screen go blurry and all of the latest grafix

those are big words and i dont understand them

so ill say that its drab and grey and i want more bullshots from my favorite games that barely run

This is how Leadbetter described the demo

It ends on a high, with the Aperture Science demo featuring an almost Pixar-esque CG quality, but what's curious is how consistent the VR experience is throughout the entire series of demos from a range of developers, using a wealth of different engines from Source to Unreal Engine 4 to Unity. It seems that the real strength here is the quality of the VR backbone Valve has developed, along with the excellent HMD and the enhanced play space offered up by the lighthouse tracking system.

different experience in VR

Looks pretty amazing for VR.

Now please make use of this engine Valve. Not porting old games to it but making a new game? Please? (not begging for HL3. Really.)

Durante

Just for reference, this needs to run with around 10x the pixel throughput of The Order, and a higher sample count per pixel on top of that, and was demonstrated on a single 980.

Elixist

is this your first gaf screenshot thread? :p

and to be fair to drive by posting it just says direct feed screens in the title nothing about tons of vr overhead.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The geometry count looks very high. Looks like the cord on the phone is entirely geometry for one thing.

Lighting quality is a little flat but that might also be because it's from Portal and the Aperture science office interiors all had that kind of drab look.

Nibel

Maybe he is talking about animation, Valve has some of those Pixar/Weta animators working for them.

Not just animation, look at the off-screen video posted in this thread; shaders and lighting are really impressive and have this so called 'CG' look.

thelastword

Banned
Source Next will look bonkers, nothing impressed me as much (a while back) when HL2 and DOOM 3 were revealed. I have no doubt that HL3 will do just the same and it will scale well on modest rigs too.

raphier

Banned
Not just animation, look at the off-screen video posted in this thread; shaders and lighting are really impressive and have this so called 'CG' look.

All I see is post-processing of an off-screen camera filter. It makes everything look CG-level

jediyoshi

All I see is post-processing of an off-screen camera filter. It makes everything look CG-level

Well, I'll tell you what that demo looks like on the Source engine: nothing. Because OG Source would curl up and die with a 600k poly model.

Naminator

Banned
Just for reference, this needs to run with around 10x the pixel throughput of The Order, and a higher sample count per pixel on top of that, and was demonstrated on a single 980.

Is the pixel density really such a good idea when what you see looks so bland and last-gen(for a lack of a better phrase)?

While VR plays a big part into why this looks the way it does... one would also hope that Source 2 can actually muster up something new on the graphical non-vr front. Perhaps.. at the least high IQ given its compatibility with MSAA.

I hope so too, but keeping my expectation in check, considering Valve uses the Blizzard model of toasters running their games due to serving a very wide audience.

As nbnt said everything looks better off-screen though, so we have to wait for proper direct-feed. Or for proper non-VR S2 stuff.

However, yeah, Vlachos is talking up the polys being 600k and brushed metal and lighting. Those aren't things you see in Source lol

Is the pixel density really such a good idea when what you see looks so bland and last-gen(for a lack of a better phrase)?

Throughput.

And the point they're making is that it's pretty much a requirement for making VR look good.

I'm sure when we have better GPUs they'll be able to do all of this high geometry detail at 90fps for dual screens with massive amounts of AA plus some greasy post processing effects to keep the kids happy.

Naminator

Banned
Throughput.

And the point they're making is that it's pretty much a requirement for making VR look good.

I'm sure when we have better GPUs they'll be able to do all of this high geometry detail at 90fps for dual screens with massive amounts of AA plus some greasy post processing effects to keep the kids happy.

I understand, that framerate is critical for VR, put I was mostly talking about the implied need of 8xMSAA.

collige

Banned
Throughput.

From the sound of the talk, they're already doing high geometry detail with massive amounts of AA, which is probably why the lighting is so unimpressive.

Eh, lighting's a little flat, but it looks good. They are focusing on making things run well on VR, though. Still, I don't exactly care about the visuals being cutting edge in any case, Source engine games tend to age very well, and have a more down-to-earth visual feel that makes other engines seem overdone by comparison.

Top Bottom