• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Source 2 direct-feed screenshots - Taken from Valve's VR presentation

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks okay to me. Good enough for VR.

Now bring on the hardware.

Piers

Source and HL2 weren't that impressive back in the day next to Far Cry and Doom 3, wasn't expecting Source 2 to be an UE4 competitor.

Katori

Looks nice, but the lighting is kinda flat, doesn't look quite as nice as UE4 or Unity 5.

fake edit: looks way better in motion

AESplusF

Forget the screens, the video is where it's at, huge improvement.

People will shut up once valve drops something official.

impact

Banned
Looks like Source 1

Lets hope it's actually optimized this time. Source 1 is such a piece of shit for optimization. I get FPS drops at 800x600 on a GTX 760 with a 4670k OC'd to 4.0. Garbage.

That's usually because of image quality issues that off-screen hides, but if one thing is amazing about this particular demo it's the IQ. Yay for forward rendering.

Is there somekind of layman summary which describes what's the difference between deferred and forward and why/where one is better than the other?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looks like Source 1

Lets hope it's actually optimized this time. Source 1 is such a piece of shit for optimization. I get FPS drops at 800x600 on a GTX 760 with a 4670k OC'd to 4.0. Garbage.

In which games? I have a FX-6300 and any Source game I've thrown at it so far have been rock solid (granted my GPU is an R9 280x).

The only game that I had strange issues with was TF2 before they moved to the new file system, had to use GCF defragger after every patch or it'd run like complete shit. But yeah, even my old rig with a Core 2 Duo and a HD5870 ran CS:GO at 1080p max graphics at a smooth 60 most of the time

JordanN

Banned
Is there somekind of layman summary which describes what's the difference between deferred and forward and why/where one is better than the other?

Forward Rendering: Very linear. Takes everything in a scene and breaks them down into pixels for shading. Lighting is more expensive this way.
MuMFSYh.png

Deferred Rendering: Before going straight to the render target, more buffers are introduced. This makes lighting cheaper but has issues with doing transparencies. It's also bandwidth heavy.
CPBHEpX.png

LordOfChaos

Looks like Source 1

Really? Source games ran flawlessly on the ancient hardware I threw them at. Portal 2 was near maxed out on a Core 2 Duo t6500/4570. That wasnt close to high end when it launched.

Probably one of the easier engines to run I've seen. What games did you try?

nowarning

I've always though Source scaled great on different hardware, had great performance on every rig I've ever played on.

I've read about CS:GO losing frames with updates but it's always fine for me, I have vsync on though so I guess I wouldn't see it, I'm guessing it's people who have uncapped framerate so they get 250+ fps who notice it.

Everything I've seen of Source 2 has me excited. I don't get the "is this it????" reactions, all this stuff was for VR and the other shots that are about are hardly good enough quality to judge, I'm sure it will look great.

Erasus

I honestly think HL2EP2, Portal 2, TF2 and L4D2 look really good @ 1080p 2xAA 16xAF on PC...

CSGO has some weird frame loss for me esp when shooting but that might be my old pc

Have hope for source 2 but dont get the VR hype.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Really? Source games ran flawlessly on the ancient hardware I threw them at. Portal 2 was near maxed out on a Core 2 Duo t6500/4570. That wasnt close to high end when it launched.

Probably one of the easier engines to run I've seen. What games did you try?
Yup

jediyoshi

Deferred Rendering: Before going straight to the render target, more buffers are introduced. This makes lighting cheaper but has issues with doing transparencies.

The most important part as far as I'm concerned. The amount of tricks even Valve has to do to get hair not looking completely broken is a shame.

Guri

I believe we will only get why people are amazed with VR when we try it ourselves. It is all about the experience. It seems that Source 2 is performing amazingly well in those terms, considering how much VR demands.

Forward Rendering: Very linear. Takes everything in a scene and breaks them down into pixels for shading. Lighting is more expensive this way.

Deferred Rendering: Before going straight to the render target, more buffers are introduced. This makes lighting cheaper but has issues with doing transparencies. It's also bandwidth heavy.

The most important part as far as I'm concerned. The amount of tricks even Valve has to do to get hair not looking completely broken is a shame.

Hmm, I see. So, forward is inherently cleaner, supports MSAA out of the box, thus better for VR? And what does Forward+ do? I understand the Order uses it.

Top Bottom