• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tenchi Muyo series announced, 5 min episodes, 50 ep run to start in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

aett

I actually rather enjoyed GXP for what it was. It also was at least honest in that having harem "who will he choose zomg?" drama is pointless in a polygamist society like Jurai. Seina did what Tenchi should have done 20 years ago.

I agree that it was at least a unique idea among typical harem anime to have Seina just marry all of them, not just because they all liked him but for various political reasons, as well. In general, one of my problems with harem anime is that the guy usually has a nice bonding/romantic moment with each girl as he meets them but once the group is formed it devolves into a lot of fighting over the guy and romantic misunderstandings. Not always, but I remember that happening a lot in the series I watched 10-15 years ago.

I also felt uncomfortable with how all of Seina's new wives - plus those other women who showed up and wanted to marry him (I had forgotten who they even were by that point) - all aggressively jumped him at the end.

To people expecting 90 second OP/EDs, since when have other 5 minute shows done that?

I don't know why but I'm expecting something worse than that...flash animated (or something similarly cheap looking) though. Especially if the shows budget is less than $200,000...(didn't popular shows in the 90s cost that per episode or was that just the license)

The only good materials pertaining to Tenchi Muyo is the first two OVAs and the Tenchi Muyo TV series (I think it's called Tenchi Universe?) After that, the franchise went to shit.

Banpresto had a pretty cool tactical rpg on the SNES though
IIRC all those were made in the 90s while the other stuff was not. I have those OAVs on DVD...unwatched, factory sealed and I love 90s anime aesthetic *regiewhatiswrongwithyou.jpg* At least I can celebrate this new show by watching the old but my condolences for anyone else who enjoyed the old and wanted more

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
IIRC all those were made in the 90s while the other stuff was not. I have those OAVs on DVD...unwatched, factory sealed and I love 90s anime aesthetic *regiewhatiswrongwithyou.jpg* At least I can celebrate this new show by watching the old but my condolences for anyone else who enjoyed the old and wanted more

The second Tenchi TV series was done 2 years after the first, and many consider it pretty disappointing.

mollipen

The only good materials pertaining to Tenchi Muyo is the first two OVAs and the Tenchi Muyo TV series (I think it's called Tenchi Universe?) After that, the franchise went to shit.

WRONG.

Tench in Love 1 was a great movie, and TiL2 was pretty darn amazing. A more serious, dramatic take that I never knew the series had in it. Still to this day up there on the list of my favorite anime movies.

I'd say the movies, then original OAV, then Universe. (But it's been a long, long time since I've seen anything but the movies.)

Saw Tenchi and popped in quick.

5 minute series? Stop it just do a full series damnit. I love those characters and world so fucking much. They are very near and dear to me. I could watch the first OVA over and over again kinda like with FLCL.

Universe and Tokyo are so fuzzy for me right now I'd really have to go back and watch those.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Studio AIC involved in New Tenchi Muyo! Series

The anime studio AIC confirmed on Monday that it is working on Ai Tenchi Muyo!, the new Tenchi Muyo! anime series. The studio's website notes the animation production is moving forward, and that the official website will open this summer.

AIC produced the first Tenchi Muyo! original video anime series and the projects that followed. The franchise is celebrating its 20th anniversary with this new project.

TxdoHawk

I am morbidly curious. They could probably pull off some amusing light comedy in five minute chunks, maybe riff on the old material and what have you. We'll see, I guess.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
To people expecting 90 second OP/EDs, since when have other 5 minute shows done that?

Recent examples:

Tonari no Seki-kun's OP and ED were 90 sec. combined, 7-9 min episodes.

Pupa's OP and ED were 60 sec. combined, 4 min episodes.

Pupipo! only had an ED, and that was 30 sec, 5-7 min episodes.

So yeah, using 90 sec. on an OP or ED alone an exaggeration and not really gonna happen, but combined they could and it's not like they've got a lot of extra time to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom