• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA series announced (Update: 2nd trailer now out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giolon

Wow, I only made it 30 seconds into that. It looks full of Quality. (Re: awful)

When this still looks better, something is wrong. I still remember the range from absolute joy to crushing disappointment the third OVA caused in me. They're gonna resolve the Tokimi arc! .... what in the fresh hell is going on?

The original still the best OP, too. Actually watching the rest of the trailer muted with this playing, haha.

Is that a chibi Tokimi?... The groundwork is there, but the execution seems lazy, and that song is horrible.

The Tenchi Universe OP1 is actually my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYbBWiaf-gA&t=18s

Tenchi Muyo OP1 is my 2nd favorite. I can't hear that song w/o getting an instant case of the nostalgias. Member Tenchi Muyo, guys? Member Ryoko?

I member.

LOL Amazing

The episode cut would explain why it seems like something was missing when they just jump to Z
having destroyed half the planet

Yeah it's just not paced as a 6 episode series. The first episode is the worst offender IMO, as it wastes tons of time on flashbacks.

Wow, I only made it 30 seconds into that. It looks full of Quality. (Re: awful)

When this still looks better, something is wrong. I still remember the range from absolute joy to crushing disappointment the third OVA caused in me. They're gonna resolve the Tokimi arc! .... what in the fresh hell is going on?

The original still the best OP, too. Actually watching the rest of the trailer muted with this playing, haha.

Is that a chibi Tokimi?...

Come on, it looks better than the 2nd OP, EVERYTHING looks better than the 2nd OP.

One thing we can agree on is how good that original opening is, it's one of the best openings in Anime history.

And yes, that is a Chibi-Tokimi, did you watch the 7th episode of OVA 3? She shows up there, it's also the best episode of that series by far, a lot of people don't even know it exists.

Anyhow the 3rd OVA Opening is pretty sweet too.

cj_iwakura

The Tenchi Universe OVA is actually my favorite: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tlvdi

Tenchi Muyo OP1 is my 2nd favorite. I can't hear that song w/o getting an instant case of the nostalgias. Member Tenchi Muyo, guys? Member Ryoko?

I member.

Universe OP1 is hype as hell, but the first OP is just perfect.

Also, they never topped how Kagato was handled in the OAV. No ridiculous drawn out fight. He's dead in one slash, over and done with.

cj_iwakura

Yeah it's just not paced as a 6 episode series. The first episode is the worst offender IMO, as it wastes tons of time on flashbacks.

Come on, it looks better than the 2nd OP, EVERYTHING looks better than the 2nd OP.

One thing we can agree on is how good that original opening is, it's one of the best openings in Anime history.

And yes, that is a Chibi-Tokimi, did you watch the 7th episode of OVA 3? She shows up there, it's also the best episode of that series by far, a lot of people don't even know it exists.

Anyhow the 3rd OVA Opening is pretty sweet too.

I dropped OVA 3 like a bad habit. They made what was supposed to be the penultimate bad into a complete joke.

OP3 is nice. shame about the show, though.

zelas

Considering the state of modern anime, why not dust off old fan service relics? With older anime fans chased off this is basically a new property.

Kiyone is the best Tenchi character and I wish she was in Muyo...

Eh... I like Kiyone, but she's redundant. Having her around Flanderized Mihoshi to no end. She's the normal non-crazy girl who doesn't want to bone Tenchi, but she is very little past that. She's competent, cool, and again, she has a great character design, and Noike fills her role and then some in the third series.

I dropped OVA 3 like a bad habit. They made what was supposed to be the penultimate bad into a complete joke.

Like I said, I like OVA 3, but it's a weird fucking series for sure. Way too much exposition for the format, and way too much time wasted on Mihoshi's brother. That and Kajishima trolled people HARD with Kiyone and Z. I'd say give it another shot if you haven't it's much stronger on a second viewing, but it will always be flawed.

In a perfect world we'd have the scriptwriters and directors from OVA 1 continue for the rest of the series. Kajishima has awesome world building and designs, and a really cool overall story that got seriously hurt by production realities. He's kinda like Lucas in that he needs other people to really bring out the best in his work. Then again, Geminar was friggen dope.

If Tenchi as a whole has a problem it's that it dropped the Kagato bomb way too early. No villain in the series has come close to him, in any of the spin-offs or in the main series itself. Universe Kagato sucked, and I can't even remember the villain in Tenchi in Tokyo. Kain was a cool design, but had no depth. Kagato has an amazing backstory that we never see, and an amazing presence.

How are the Tenchi movies? Still never seen any of them.

They range from pretty good to Ok. None of them are bad. The first two are fun, though I like them less as time goes on. Tenchi Muyo in Love adds nothing to the Universe timeline, and Daughter of Darkness is just a strange story from yet ANOTHER continuity. Tenchi Forever is quite good, though a lot of people don't like it because tonally it is very different from all the other stuff.

Man, I really got into anime after catching Tenchi the Movie one morning on Saturday Anime. So much money spent on VHS OVA episodes at Suncoast. The boxed set were the first DVDs I ever owned. Tenchi is a pretty beloved memory for me.

And I have no desire to watch this (or attempt to watch OVA 3 ever again). It looks so unbelievably terrible. I'm just gonna listen to I'm a Pioneer on repeat all night now.

Ryoko ultimate waifu

She is my favorite, and pretty much canon in the Universe and Tokyo timelines.

Man, I really got into anime after catching Tenchi the Movie one morning on Saturday Anime. So much money spent on VHS OVA episodes at Suncoast. The boxed set were the first DVDs I ever owned. Tenchi is a pretty beloved memory for me.

And I have no desire to watch this (or attempt to watch OVA 3 ever again). It looks so unbelievably terrible. I'm just gonna listen to I'm a Pioneer on repeat all night now.

Eh, I think part of the problem is that the longer it takes for a sequel to happen, the more likely it is that fans are not going to like it. There are production reasons for this, as it is going to be hard to recreate the magic years later, and also because in that time, people come up with their own ideas for what the sequel will be.

Tenchi suffered from both of these issues.

alternade

As someone who enjoyed the show when it was on Toonami but hasn't kept up with it since where is a good place to jump back in?

As someone who enjoyed the show when it was on Toonami but hasn't kept up with it since where is a good place to jump back in?

Ok, if you are trying to watch the OVAs this is the best way to do it, just as a not a lot of people HATE OVA 3, though I quite like it. On the bright side, nearly all of Tenchi is available on Youtube from Funimation.

Anyhow:

The Best order to watch the OVAs is the following:

Tenchi Muyo! 1-13 (OVA 1 and 2) This is the original OVA series, you likely saw this on Toonami back in the day, but it was the shortest of the three series that they aired back then. This introduces Tenchi, most of the girls, and sets up the backstory, Tenchi's power, and the goddesses.

Tenchi Muyo! GXP This is a spin off set in the same universe as Tenchi Muyo and crosses over with a bunch of the characters. Major important characters that you will meet in OVA 3 are first introduced here, even though it takes place after it. This was released in Japan first, and the assumption going in to OVA 3 was that you have seen it.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki 1-7 (OVA 3) This is the last full on Tenchi Muyo! series released in the main continuity, it finishes off the Goddess storyline, and the question of Tenchi's power. It's a bit rough, but enjoyable IMO.This series has a bunch of the characters first seen in GXP. So watch it last.

Also, be sure to watch it subbed if you can deal with that. There are a few reasons, first off, the voice actros will stay consistent throughout, but more importantly the translation of the dub is pretty bad in places and it causes a ton of confusion down the line. VERY important lines are mistranslated, and a lot of the complaints I have seen on OVA 3 reference these. Normally this wouldn't be a huge issue, but Kajishima is a bit of a crazy person, and gets very specific at times.

Once you are done with all that you can watch Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar which is a sort of sequel to TM! that stars Tenchi's brother in another universe. Just don't go in expecting to see the main cast from TM! in anything but references and cameos.

Ok, if you are trying to watch the OVAs this is the best way to do it, just as a not a lot of people HATE OVA 3, though I quite like it. On the bright side, nearly all of Tenchi is available on Youtube from Funimation.

Anyhow:

Tenchi Muyo! 1-13 (OVA 1 and 2) This is the original OVA series, you likely saw this on Toonami back in the day, but it was the shortest of the three series that they aired back then. This introduces Tenchi, most of the girls, and sets up the backstory, Tenchi's power, and the goddesses.

Tenchi Muyo! GXP This is a spin off set in the same universe as Tenchi Muyo and crosses over with a bunch of the characters. Major important characters that you will meet in OVA 3 are first introduced here, even though it takes place after it. This was released in Japan first, and the assumption going in to OVA 3 was that you have seen it.

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki 1-7 (OVA 3) This is the last full on Tenchi Muyo! series released in the main continuity, it finishes off the Goddess storyline, and the question of Tenchi's power. It's a bit rough, but enjoyable IMO.This series has a bunch of the characters first seen in GXP. So watch it last.

Also, be sure to watch it subbed if you can deal with that. There are a few reasons, first off, the voice actros will stay consistent throughout, but more importantly the translation of the dub is pretty bad in places and it causes a ton of confusion down the line. VERY important lines are mistranslated, and a lot of the complaints I have seen on OVA 3 reference these. Normally this wouldn't be a huge issue, but Kajishima is a bit of a crazy person, and gets very specific at times.

Once you are done with all that you can watch Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar which is a sort of sequel to TM! that stars Tenchi's brother in another universe. Just don't go in expecting to see the main cast from TM! in anything but references and cameos.
So where does universe and Tokyo fit in this?

Edit:just went to the wiki and this shit is more confusing than I remembered.

Hyped by Oav4.
Heck i enjoyed Oav3

More tenchi is always good news.

My man.

So where does universe and Tokyo fit in this?

Edit:just went to the wiki and this shit is more confusing than I remembered.

Yeah those are separate universes. It's not that confusing if you boil it down...

Who am I kidding, it's still pretty nuts. AIC went fucking crazy with licensing Tenchi stuff. Tenchi Universe is probably the most popular series over here, probably because it is the most straightforward of the lot. Basic love triangle, basic hero's journey, and a good bit of action. I still don't know what they were thinking with Tenchi in Tokyo, but even that got decent around the halfway point.

zeromcd73

I remember reading one of the Tenchi doujinshi the original author penned where Tenchi fucked the rabbit and a bunch of the other girls.

Expecting quality here. Also War on Gemini was fucking awesome. So sad that that bombed sales wise.

KyleCross

Tokyo is the last Tenchi I saw. Do they still get dubbed, and has Petrea Burchard returned to the role of Ryoko? She was great. Ryoko was my first waifu.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Just think! By the time this OVA is available in the states, this thread may be 4 pages long! I know Tenchi is a relic but whatever to all the haters! It's still good to me damn it! :'(

alternade

Anyhow:

Thanks!

cj_iwakura

That first movie on the Sci Fi channel back in the day is what got me into Tenchi in the first place. And it was definitely in the mix with Akira, GitS, and Lodoss for being what drew me into anime originally.

I was already a fan, and seeing that Sci-Fi was debuting the film for the first time in the US with its dub... absolutely unheard of. I went crazy.

The Toonami teaser was hype, too.
fake digital swimsuits and all.

How are the other Ryoki ovals past the original?

Depends what you consider the original, and it depends who you ask. If you consider the originals OVA 1 (Eps 1 - 7) nothing gets as good as those again, but OVA 2 is pretty much universally liked as well. The 3rd OVAs are divisive to say the least. I think they are well worth it as they finish up the main story and answer the question of what Tenchi is as well as the Tokimi stuff, and are pretty enjoyable to boot, but their biggest weakness is a tendency, especially in the last couple of episodes to exposition dump.

This sure brings back some fond memories of some versus debates. Only reason I watched this series was to check for myself the claims, that some people were making, of Tenchi's power. Wasn't too impressed with the series to be honest.

Ah, it's Tenchi time again. I'm actually quite excited for this continuation. The last Ryo Ohki series was pretty disappointing though so I'm really trying to keep my hype levels in check.

From what little I've seen of the trailers, the character art seems fairly nice.

RedSwirl

When I originally watched the show I thought Aeka was the official waifu because she seemed similar to the typical anime/JRPG main waifu. I went back and watched OVA 1 & 2 again and realized how much of a bitch Aeka was and that Ryoko really was main waifu all along. Did they intentionally make that a flip on typical anime/JRPG romance?

When I originally watched the show I thought Aeka was the official waifu because she seemed similar to the typical anime/JRPG main waifu. I went back and watched OVA 1 & 2 again and realized how much of a bitch Aeka was and that Ryoko really was main waifu all along. Did they intentionally make that a flip on typical anime/JRPG romance?

In the OVAs there is no main Waifu. Well, actually Noike is the only one officially engaged, to Tenchi I guess as of OVA 4. But just about everyone will use the Tenchi-ken in the end.

You are right though in that early on, they really pressed the Aeka angle, but by the end of the first series, the focus was far more on Ryoko's feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom