• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA series announced (Update: 2nd trailer now out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So apparently there was a Tench 'festival' or whatever today. I was hoping for some new news on the 4th series but not sure anything came out of it. Here's a link to a summary of the event.
https://twitter.com/dwunkiti/status/670455774934511616
tenchi4_02.jpg

4th? Somehow I missed the return of a third one!

Back on the young internet I used to scour for new Tenchi updates and there was only longstanding rumor of the idea of a third one ... Then that GXP thing came out and sort of killed what interest I had left.

Anyway, I'm down for more Tenchi.

vypek

What a good day for me to randomly gome into OT. This series is so nostalgic for me. A few months ago I rewatched part of the first series Tenchi Muyo. I still have to watch Ryo Ohki. I think its the only thing I have not seen besides the mini serries stuff.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So kind of off topic but what was the deal with the Tenchi series? Why was every version so different and or why does it seem like story lines would start then get dropped and in general what's the deal with the very hap hazard nature of this show/s

vypek

So kind of off topic but what was the deal with the Tenchi series? Why was every version so different and or why does it seem like story lines would start then get dropped and in general what's the deal with the very hap hazard nature of this show/s

Some of them are stand alone stories. There is a series map on one of the series DVDs and its probably somewhere online. Used the characters and just did different stories with them. There is a long connection between many of the entries in the universe though

Epcott

Not sure I'm liking those modern eyes with that 90's hair and design. It looks a little off. Oh well, there's always need for more Tenchi.

Eh, it looks alright. It's nice seeing the old cast again. Too bad the classic girls are probably going to get sidelined for another twenty or so new characters who are all related to Tenchi somehow.

Im pretty sure all the girls marrying tenchi is actually canon.

As fucking weird as that is.

But I doubt that will ever be referenced here or in any further series within the ova continuity.

Either way we all know Sasami is best waifu.

She's the only one that has common sense and the ability to not be completely useless. She knows how to cook. Didn't Ayeka destroy a house cooking? And Mihoshi drive herself and friend to bankruptcy with karaoke and eating out all the time?

Giolon

I think Universe was my fav series. So Kiyone isn't in the Muyo OVAs?

Nope. Kiyone doesn't exist in the OVA timeline.

The OVA timeline was my favorite for the first 2 series, but the 3rd completely dropped the ball and went all hog wild with Tenchi Muyo GXP and other shitty spin-off tie-ins.

I hope this one is better.

Universe was a great timeline too.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This is the 3rd of the 4 anime shows I ever followed getting a new show.

All I need now is a Yu Yu Hakusho revival.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nope. Kiyone doesn't exist in the OVA timeline.

The OVA timeline was my favorite for the first 2 series, but the 3rd completely dropped the ball and went all hog wild with Tenchi Muyo GXP and other shitty spin-off tie-ins.

I hope this one is better.

Universe was a great timeline too.

Actually I I think I read that Kiyone does exist in the Ova but she is never seen. Think I read that in the tenchi muyo forums

NeonZ

Actually I I think I read that Kiyone does exist in the Ova but she is never seen. Think I read that in the tenchi muyo forums

Mihoshi mentions Kiyone as an old partner in the Mihoshi special OVA, although she thinks that she's dead.

Huh. I really liked this show back when it was on Toonami in the day. Like, I normally can't stand much anime but it's one of the few I really think back fondly of.

To anyone who actually watched it, was series 3 bad enough to poison the well for this next one?

Huh. I really liked this show back when it was on Toonami in the day. Like, I normally can't stand much anime but it's one of the few I really think back fondly of.

To anyone who actually watched it, was series 3 bad enough to poison the well for this next one?

Tenchi in Tokyo? The answer to that is ALMOST.

FStubbs

4th? Somehow I missed the return of a third one!

Back on the young internet I used to scour for new Tenchi updates and there was only longstanding rumor of the idea of a third one ... Then that GXP thing came out and sort of killed what interest I had left.

Anyway, I'm down for more Tenchi.

There is no third OAV. It never happened.

(Or at least we try not to acknowledge it)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Was that
Lady Tokemi
on the roof? If so I'm so damn looking forward to this even more. I hope they flush out her story even more. The animation seems great so far.

My idea of the proper protocol for consuming this will be to binge watch the entirety of the Tenchi series before cracking this one open :).... LOL - hope my DVDs of this haven't rotted through :'D

Yaaaaaassssssss Queen <3

Well, art is definitely better than the 3rd OVA, but his is pretty low budget. I can't wait, the 3rd OVA was a lot better than people give it credit for, mainly because unless you were following all the crazy shit that was Tenchi after the 2nd series ended, it made damn near no sense. I think people would have been warmer to Noike if there hadn't been a 9 year wait between series. The pacing was pretty shit though, I will admit.

And yeah, just to let people know. Do not go in expecting a waifu war. Tenchi, at least the OVA series was never really going to end any other way than an actual harem. It''s odd, Tenchi started the whole harem genre, and may be the only one that will end in a canon harem.

Also, because people are still confused in the thread:

The OVA series continuity is as follows:

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OVA series 1 - 3
Shin Tenchi Muyo Novels 1 - 3
Tenchi Muyo GXP Novels (The TV series has been overwritten by the novels, but it still pretty much works)
Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar
and a metric fuckton of Dojinshi penned by Kajihima, the original creator.

and a bunch of stuff that is in the same universe/multiverse but doesn't directly reference Tenchi:

Dual
Photon
Spaceship Agga Reuter
Anata Dake Konbanwa

and one or two others that I'm sure I'm missing, also fair warning, the last two are hentai. The first two are really good though.

Missed this:

Ok, the Kiyone stuff is confusing, but here goes:

The original creator of Tenchi, Masaki Kajishima had his idea for where the story was going to go, other people who also had a hand in the creation of Tenchi had their own ideas as well. Basically, the Kiyone from the Mihoshi Special, and the TV shows was a creation of Hasegawa, one of the script writers for the original OVA series. Now from the info that's out there, Kajishima hated this for a few reasons:

1. Tenchi's mother was named Kiyone
  2. He already had a parter for Mihoshi, Noike
  3. Neither of them was going to show up for a while

The problem was, Kiyone Makibi was essentially Noike without any of the backstory, but was a great character design and a natural foil for not only Mihoshi, but the other ladies as well. Hasegawa also created her own story for who Tenchi's mom was, that was literally the polar opposite of what Kajishima had planned.

This was actually pretty well known in the Japanese fan community, but here, not so much because most of it was shown through dojinshi and the like. So when the 3rd OVA series came around, we got Noike, who was very much like Kiyone from previous works, which turned a bunch of people off. We also got Kiyone Masaki, Tenchi's mom, who was revealed to be just as crazy as the rest of his family, instead of the perfect mom who was Achika from say Tenchi Muyo in Love. Many fans were not amused.

Which is a shame, because honestly the whole story of Kiyone from the third OVA is probably my favorite part of that series. The whole idea that she wasn't this perfect figure that Tenchi built up in his head, but she still loved him, and that was OK, was beautiful.

cj_iwakura

Sure, that may be true. I just meant she never appears.

I could have sworn she was in the special bridging Part 1 and Part 2. She's also in Tenchi Muyo in Love!, which is the same continuity.

Wait, are we talking about the same Kiyone?

I could have sworn she was in the special bridging Part 1 and Part 2. She's also in Tenchi Muyo in Love!, which is the same continuity.

Wait, are we talking about the same Kiyone?

See my above post. As I said, it's confusing.

There are 2 Kiyone's in all the Tenchi works.

Kiyone Makibi, Mihoshi's longsuffering partner. She shows up in everything but the OVA continuity.

Kiyone Masaki: Tenchi's Mom. She only shows up in the OVA continuity.

Not of course to be confused with Achika Masaki, who is Tenchi's mom in the Tnchi Universe continuity, and a different set of novels.

EDIT: God, I really was a huge Tenchi nut in my college years that I still remember all this shit.

cj_iwakura

See my above post. As I said, it's confusing.

There are 2 Kiyone's in all the Tenchi works.

Kiyone Makibi, Mihoshi's longsuffering partner. She shows up in everything but the OVA continuity.

Kiyone Masaki: Tenchi's Mom. She only shows up in the OVA continuity.

Not of course to be confused with Achika Masaki, who is Tenchi's mom in the Tnchi Universe continuity, and a different set of novels.

EDIT: God, I really was a huge Tenchi nut in my college years that I still remember all this shit.

But Kiyone Makibi is in the OVA continuity. Galaxy Space Police Mihoshi's Space Adventure special.

Giolon

But Kiyone Makibi is in the OVA continuity. Galaxy Space Police Mihoshi's Space Adventure special.
I haven't seen that. I didn't know she was in there.

I wasn't trying to make a blanket argument, just clarify that she's not in the main series of OVA's (which I think is to their detriment because she's a great foil for Mihoshi).

That's actually not in continuity. I was just about to edit my post to explain that. Yeah that special was where she first appeared, but as far as canon goes, it is NOT OVA continity. Or if you must, the story Mihoshi tells is absolute BS.

cj_iwakura

That's actually not in continuity. I was just about to edit my post to explain that. Yeah that special was where she first appeared, but as far as canon goes, it is NOT OVA continity. Or if you must, the story Mihoshi tells is absolute BS.

The prospect blows my mind.

was wondering when they get around to this

I'm still amazed it's actually happening. The Tenchi Muyo OVAs did very well, but the 3rd series was cut from 13 episodes to 6+1 during production, or so I have heard. This is a very short series too, there will only be 4 episodes, so I'm curious as to how much can get done in that time. The main story ended with OVA 3, and Kajishima has said that his plans for a 4th and 5th series were supposed to be very low key.

I really would love to see him get a full Tenchi series with the War on Geminar format. That was far and away his strongest single series, he so far has needed more time to really get both his world building, and stories across.

Giolon

The prospect blows my mind.

LOL Amazing

I'm still amazed it's actually happening. The Tenchi Muyo OVAs did very well, but the 3rd series was cut from 13 episodes to 6+1 during production, or so I have heard. This is a very short series too, there will only be 4 episodes, so I'm curious as to how much can get done in that time. The main story ended with OVA 3, and Kajishima has said that his plans for a 4th and 5th series were supposed to be very low key.

I really would love to see him get a full Tenchi series with the War on Geminar format. That was far and away his strongest single series, he so far has needed more time to really get both his world building, and stories across.

The episode cut would explain why it seems like something was missing when they just jump to Z
having destroyed half the planet

cj_iwakura

Wow, I only made it 30 seconds into that. It looks full of Quality. (Re: awful)

When this still looks better, something is wrong. I still remember the range from absolute joy to crushing disappointment the third OVA caused in me. They're gonna resolve the Tokimi arc! .... what in the fresh hell is going on?

The original still the best OP, too. Actually watching the rest of the trailer muted with this playing, haha.

Is that a chibi Tokimi?... The groundwork is there, but the execution seems lazy, and that song is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom