• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Last Guardian trailer (Gamestop Expo)

Salaadin

I love the way everything about this game looks...but these previews are really worrying me. Nobody seems real keen on it. Hopefully it's just because they're playing a dull tutorial and things get better.

It really doesn't matter though because I'm buying it anyways.

Main complaints I'm reading are some bugs, camera issues, that the controls aren't modern enough (some say there are inaccuracies and it isn't precise enough), and Trico's responsiveness (though this one can also be a positive and is part of the game's premise).

Some positives.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/15/12914554/last-guardian-gameplay-video-tgs-demo-hands-on

The game looks beautiful, its environments are stunning, and its puzzles are clever and satisfying, often with multiple layers to figure out. There's a core gameplay loop around solving a puzzle to get to a new room, then figuring out how to get your bird-dog friend to follow. That loop is strong, and it helps reinforce the relationship between the protagonist and the pet.

from what i played, i would say if you loved SotC and have been waiting for this ever since, the controls probably won't bother you. coming into this without that expectation, though? might be rough.

and while the controls could be called deliberate, the camera could not.

Shin-chan

While character movement seems just as iffy as other Ueda games and the camera will hopefully be fixed up prior to release, it looks like the frame rate is stable. Image quality seems fine as well for the most part.

Very excited. I'll be jumping between this and Gravity Rush on the pro in December

ScOULaris

How anyone can watch these gameplay videos and say that the game is visually underwhelming is beyond me. It looks absolutely stunning.

Some more positive previews.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/t...h-the-last-guardian-s-beautiful-struggle.aspx

Fittingly enough, I discovered a game experience that also requires patience, but not in a frustrating way. Instead it’s more serene as you slowly discover how to get around in this strange world with your only ally, a mammoth beast. The Last Guardian isn’t a game that you just tear through without a second thought, and that’s what makes it special.

From what I played, The Last Guardian is a good mix of platforming and puzzle solving. I jump on high ledges to find levers or items integral to getting to the next area. I use the R1 command to call Trico to my side, using him as a way to jump to high points and also as a cushion when I need to get down. The controls take some time to get used to; they’re much more responsive and fluid than in Team Ico’s past games, but it’s hard to train your brain to use triangle to jump, and pointing Trico to an area of interest using the camera and holding two buttons at once can be tricky.

This world is dangerous yet beautiful. Solutions are around every corner. Most of them involved Trico to some degree, but often he’s helping you as much as you’re helping him. For instance, at one point I push a huge barrel off a ledge as a way to prop open a gate so Trico can get through. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I figure out ways to get through every plight, and Trico is there at every turn. As you fly through the air on his back, it’s just like echoes of Atreyu riding Falcor in The Neverending Story. I can already tell this is the start of something special, and can’t wait to see what’s in store when I can play the entire game.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/15/12925548/the-last-guardian-tgs-2016-preview

Solving The Last Guardian’s puzzles is as much about building up a trusting relationship as it is about unlocking the secrets around you.

When the interplay of puzzle-solving and emotional bond comes off, The Last Guardian is exhilarating like nothing else. Trico is an astonishingly realized creature, with subtle animations and sound design helping you figure out what it’s feeling. Sometimes it’s frustrated, sometimes it’s playful, sometimes it’s scared — but it’s with you for the adventure and wants to help you out. This leads to heartstopping moments where you place your life in Trico’s hands and vice versa, as the creature’s idiosyncratic personality makes you never quite sure what’s going to happen.

This feeling of uncertainty is amplified by the puzzle design and control system, both of which are a lot looser than you’d usually find in a game like this. It usually works in The Last Guardian’s favor, but it’s not always for the better. While I was playing a pre-production build, the controls are pretty fundamentally awkward and the camera seems to have as much of an independent streak as Trico; together with some performance issues, the game is often reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus’ worse traits as well as its best.

But if the final product manages to keep up the pacing and beauty of what I played, The Last Guardian could well be a worthy successor to Shadow of the Colossus and Ico before it. It looks to have all of those games’ heart and delicate touch, not to mention Ueda’s unmistakable hazy aesthetic — those points alone will be more than enough to make The Last Guardian stand out upon its release this December.

Bugs that need to be ironed out:

And at one point in my demo, even the developers themselves couldn’t work out why Trico wasn’t behaving the way he was supposed to in order to solve a puzzle. The eventual solution was obscure and unconnected to the puzzle itself, which doesn’t quite bode well for the final release — not being able to solve a puzzle when you know what to do suggests that The Last Guardian’s unpredictability may occasionally work against it.

Not sure how I feel about this:

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/last-guardian-tokyo-game-show/

In the demo we played, the boy now holds on automatically until you press a button to drop. On the surface, this may be kinder to the player, but I always felt that having to keep a button depressed to simulate hanging on for dear life was a way of heightening the connection between the player and the on-screen action. Now it’s easier to play, but doesn’t feel as much like Colossus anymore. A good tradeoff? I’m not sure.

Other than the wacky camera and supposed iffy controls, those gameplay videos have officially sold me on the game. Absolutely beautiful.

Salaadin

Yeah, I can deal with wonky controls.

The more I read, the more I feel like this is literally going to play like Ico, with some light SOTC stuff. I'm fine with that.
Hopefully they can tighten up that camera and fix any other bugs by December.

Servbot24

Banned
This is totally going to be one of those games that I love but the media will love to rag on. I think I'll probably tune out the reviews for this.

ScOULaris

Hopefully they'll either switch the grip controls back to how they were in previous builds or just make it a setting you can toggle. I much prefer to have to hold down R1 to cling to Trico.

On another note, do you think my dog will recognize herself on the TV when I first boot up the game?

aMlECBTh.jpg

She has the same awkwardly long body and cat-like demeanor as Trico.

Reading that preview above I'm not too hot on the idea of auto-hold when riding Trico.

Would much rather hold down a button to simulate that cling for dear life.
Hopefully that proves not too big a deal and otherwise it sounds like it's shaping up great.

This is totally going to be one of those games that I love but the media will love to rag on. I think I'll probably tune out the reviews for this.

I can see a fair few media outlets absolutely pummeling the game for being "outdated" in controls etc but for most Team Ico fans on Gaf and elsewhere, we're in a who cares situation.

We just want this game after waiting for so long and let's be real, there's nothing really like this out there.

Those previews are making my heart flutter. I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that I may well be playing a game that beats ICO and SotC at what they accomplished come December. And those games are sacred cows in my eyes. Now, ten years later, I might be experiencing something similar, but better. Hnnng.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow I think that one dude was right, Trico may have been downgraded. He's so much less fluffier than before. :( His tail took it the worst.

61VHwAa.gif

7ReU1KM.gif

#bringbackthefluff #fluffygate

It looks a bit more natural in the second gif instead every single feather moving at once in erratic patterns. Could just be me though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It looks a bit more natural in the second gif instead every single feather moving at once in erratic patterns. Could just be me though.

That was exactly what I thought, the first one looks like the feather physics have gone mad.

It absolutely boggles my mind that people can say, with a straight face, that this looks like a PS3 game.

So they haven't changed the amount of feathers it's just more refined in terms of physics?

Can't say for sure, but based on those gifs, I'd say it's been improved myself.

UrbanRats

Wow I think that one dude was right, Trico may have been downgraded. He's so much less fluffier than before. :( His tail took it the worst.

61VHwAa.gif

7ReU1KM.gif

If the framerate in these videos is anything to go by, it could go for another downgrade.

jett

D-Member
By the way, I find the tutorializing in this journo-only demo hilarious. Shows how little developers think of gaming journalists.

Maybe, but the model definitely has less feathers too, the tail looks like a rat's now. Personally I liked it how he looked before.

george_us

Sounds like the control issues are just the natural quirks of a Ueda game rather than anything severe. I played ICO recently this year and still think it controls brilliantly given the context of the game.

Pro version to the rescue...looks like the issue with the game are technical and that's exactly what the delay was for. With 2.5 months more of development and a beefier PS4 to help out frame rate we should get a stellar title in December.

Can't wait...reading previews now

HStallion

By the way, I find the tutorializing in this journo-only demo hilarious. Shows how little developers think of gaming journalists.

Maybe, but the model definitely has less feathers too, the tail looks like a rat's now. Personally I liked it how he looked before.

It looks like it has the exact same amount of feathers honestly. There are still feathers all over its tail, we even see the kid still using them as hand holds when he grabs onto it. Its just feathers aren't fluttering about like its a hurricane blowing it all about. Watching the short bit of footage where Trico is rolling around in the water highlights the feathers and them reacting to the environment in a beautiful and incredible realistic way.

Also I should note I love how the tree's react to the wind in this game. The whole tree doesn't blow about like its made of rubber.

Hopefully holding on is just a toggle on/off switch to make it easier for some.

I also don't get the weird controls. It takes me like 15 minutes of gameplay to adjust to Ico and SotC. These are the same gamers that can play Call of Duty well? I don't get it...lol

Really excited for the final product

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean the creature is scared and the feathers being raised like that is presumably supposed to resemble the way a cat's hair raises up, either way, physics in that second gif are less technically intensive so it seems they made the change for performance issues.

HStallion

I mean the creature is scared and the feathers being raised like that is presumably supposed to resemble the way a cat's hair raises up, either way, physics in that second gif are less technically intensive so it seems they made the change for performance issues.

I mean where do you get that conclusion? The scene where Trico is rolling around in the water has the feathers all moving and reacting with the environment and looked just as technically impressive as the gif from 2015. Again it looks more natural in the second gif and Team Ico is going for a very believable creature so it makes sense. I've got Alaskan Malamutes and have had them out in serious wind storms and their fur looks far more like the 2016 gif than the 2015.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean where do you get that conclusion? The scene where Trico is rolling around in the water has the feathers all moving and reacting with the environment and looked just as technically impressive as the gif from 2015. Again it looks more natural in the second gif and Team Ico is going for a very believable creature so it makes sense. I've got Alaskan Malamutes and have had them out in serious wind storms and their fur looks far more like the 2016 gif than the 2015.
Since the smoke effects in that specific shot are much better than they were a year ago I suspect it was a simple trade off.

I loved Shadow of the Colossus, but the pass that ICO games gets for their finnicky controls here is sometimes perplexing.
It's not a pass maybe?

I adjusted to Ico controls in like 15 minutes. They aren't finicky, it's a control style, and it's enjoyable. I even got close to getting the platinum in the game which requires a speed run. What's perplexing is how decade+ gamers can't adjust to a different play style?

Henkka

Banned
Maybe he gets more feathered as the game progresses. Or maybe it's just a downgrade... As long as the game runs ok, I don't care.

Raven77

61VHwAa.gif

7ReU1KM.gif

Pay attention to the background. Look how much more architecture is there in the 2016 video. Not only is the tower much more visible but all those walkways too. 2016 also has more smoke and particle effects.

Rozart

I think I may prefer 2015's Trico actually, erratic feathers and all. He looks much fluffier.

But the game as a whole looks better in the 2016 gif. Hmm.

jett

D-Member
Trico practicing his pirouettes for the upcoming ballet.

kGon4Hm.gif

Pay attention to the background. Look how much more architecture is there in the 2016 video. Not only is the tower much more visible but all those walkways too. 2016 also has more smoke and particle effects.

Yeah it does seem like there's more a bit stuff far off in the background. I was only referring to Trico, and I really do prefer how he looked in 2015 too.

Raven77

Yeah it does seem like there's more a bit stuff far off in the background. I was only referring to Trico, and I really do prefer how he looked in 2015 too.

Yeah but what people have to realize is that all that extra detail takes a hit on performance so it's a trade off. More detailed environments vs more detailed characters, I guess they just have to try and strike a balance but I do agree with you, I think Trico looked better in 2015.

Top Bottom