• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 information from Gamestar

ironcreed

Banned
So presumably now that the game has gone for submission to MS and Sony, perhaps the people who have consoles will now be granted the highest of high honours of laying their eyes on the game; after all, they're only going to account for a great if not majority chunk of sales.

I am quite anxious to see a nice slice of PS4 footage, beings that is where I will be playing it. I am sure I will be more than happy.

Mutombo

This looks really, really good. Haven't seen that much media and have been a bit more focused (read: hyped) towards Bloodborne. But this looks to be a really good, triple AAA, sleeper hit that will set so many bars so high for future games. Some of the things in the list I almost can't believe. I'm almost afraid there will be so much to do in the game that it will be a bit too much for me.

This is after Bloodborne my second day one purchase. This is why we all bought a next gen system.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
To be honest, I'd settle for Witcher 2 level graphics in an open world. Which is probably something close to what I'll experience with my rig (if not even a tad worse, depending on engine optimizations). That game still looks really really good.

Give up on the dream. They've said several times in the past few months that they didn't fully know what they could get away with in the open world until early 2014. Stuff from the debut trailer and vgx trailer were vertical slices that didn't have to deal with the open world memory streaming. So the bar definitely has been lowered from this.

They're going to regret showing that footage :p All people will be talking about when this game is released is downgrades downgrades downgrades. There's high settings, ultra, and fantasy. That GIF is fantasy.

Gutss

"Level 24 Wyvern one-shotted level 7 Geralt"

Now thats what i want, the danger is real in the witcher 3.
ill buy a ps4 for this in may.

RedSwirl

Has CDP said anything about how you'll be guided towards quests? Like if you'll get waypoint or a detailed description or both?

I have a number of artistic/rendering criticisms that I feel bring down the overall presentation (not badly, mind you, just nitpicking where other games may do better). But I honestly have a hard time identifying where a downgrade has occurred versus the very specific cherry picking of gorgeous scenes and locations, likely downsampled for maximum IQ, from trailers shown so far.

Downgrade just seems like the wrong word.

This is how I feel too. I can't really cherrypick specific effects that are missing or whatever, but overall it just looks different artistically to me. One major difference I see is that the earlier videos had a lot of sharpening, which was one of Witcher 2's less popular features.

In my opinion, the main difference between old and new material is a change in art direction/colors. It went from being dark and gritty to a slightly more vibrant and soft style that doesn't look as realistic but more like a painting. Other than that, of course there will always be scenes that won't look as good as others.

This is exactly how I've thought of it.

kiguel182

As someone who hasn't played the first two Witchers how confusing would the story be if I just played this one?

The game seems amazing but the fact that is the third game really puts me off.

UnrealEck

As someone who hasn't played the first two Witchers how confusing would the story be if I just played this one?

Probably very confusing because the stories are quite detailed and carry over from one game to the next. I think there's going to be a story recap with the game.

Can Geralt strafe this time?
Yup

Hard to say without playing the game yet, but they're introducing so many new elements that weren't in the first 2 games that you'll probably be on equal ground with those who played the first 2.

Plus there's a compendium book that comes with the game to explain any relevant backstory of the world and games.

BatSu

best quality

S14FTaJ.jpg

Jedi2016

I recognize that expression on all their faces.

7f8.gif
That actually happens in one of the books, someone hires a bunch of thugs to "kill" Geralt, and right before the last one dies, he says "You didn't tell us he was a witcher..." Yeah, normal bad guys don't have a prayer.

sublimit

Banned
This looks really, really good. Haven't seen that much media and have been a bit more focused (read: hyped) towards Bloodborne. But this looks to be a really good, triple AAA, sleeper hit that will set so many bars so high for future games. Some of the things in the list I almost can't believe. I'm almost afraid there will be so much to do in the game that it will be a bit too much for me.

This is after Bloodborne my second day one purchase. This is why we all bought a next gen system.

Completely agree with the exception that it can never be too much for me if i'm enjoying the game.But yeah this,Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 SOTFS are all day 1 purchases.Good times ahead! :)

Grady

I want this day one but with bloodborne and ds2 around the corner.....ugh. 3 games will take up the rest of my 2015.

Respawn

Banned
Give up on the dream. They've said several times in the past few months that they didn't fully know what they could get away with in the open world until early 2014. Stuff from the debut trailer and vgx trailer were vertical slices that didn't have to deal with the open world memory streaming. So the bar definitely has been lowered from this.

Ouch :(

Wait Vizima is explorable? I though only Oxenfurt and Novigrad were. An update version of Vizima woul be amazing.

i think it's there in the map just for context. Surely in the game the path to the city will be blocked. Notice the cliffs and the Nilffgaardian garrison in the way to the city.

RedSwirl

The map from Witcher 3
Sna3kJe.jpg

Map seems to be cut off. Is the rest of it somewhere.

Oh, and it's definitely just for the purpose of showing people what they can visit in-game. The actual map of the universe (as shown in the previous two games) is much different. Kaer Moren for instance is on the complete opposite end of the continent.

Still, this story is the first we've heard about Oxenfurt in the game, and it seems it won't be in the same map as Novigrad. I wonder if it's going to be one of the places that's it's own map.

Seems like TW3 will have two very large maps: Novigrad + No Man's Land and the Skellige Islands, in addition to several mid-sized zones that will probably feel similar to the TW1 and TW2 zones. Sounds like the best of both worlds in terms of exploration versus storytelling. CDP isn't making everything 100% open-world, but is giving you zones that will service the story/universe and probably feel more concise-gameplay-wise, and two of those zones will essentially feel like open worlds unto themselves. You could maybe compare it to having two separate Elder Scrolls games plus some DLC areas all packed onto one disc.

Smokey

Didn't they say that they weren't going to show the ultra setting at all?

If anything we've seen is ultra, it would be this:
UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

But if they weren't lying when they said they won't show ultra, then we should be able to replicate that gif on less than ultra... Right CDPR...? Riiiight?

When the game is out we'll find out.

I doubt the game looks like this anymore, ultra or not tbh.

Still, this story is the first we've heard about Oxenfurt in the game, and it seems it won't be in the same map as Novigrad. I wonder if it's going to be one of the places that's it's own map.
Oxenfurt is on the same map as Novigrad and No Man's Land. It's the island on the mid-right side of the map in the river with an icon on it. It's always been assumed to be there. This is just the first time someone confirmed it officially.

misho8723

Banned
Map seems to be cut off. Is the rest of it somewhere.

Oh, and it's definitely just for the purpose of showing people what they can visit in-game. The actual map of the universe (as shown in the previous two games) is much different. Kaer Moren for instance is on the complete opposite end of the continent.

Seems like TW3 will have two very large maps: Novigrad + No Man's Land and the Skellige Islands, in addition to several mid-sized zones that will probably feel similar to the TW1 and TW2 zones. Sounds like the best of both worlds in terms of exploration versus storytelling. CDP isn't making everything 100% open-world, but is giving you zones that will service the story/universe and probably feel more concise-gameplay-wise, and two of those zones will essentially feel like open worlds unto themselves. You could maybe compare it to having two separate Elder Scrolls games plus some DLC areas all packed onto one disc.

Yeah, it's definitely cut-off.. mainly the left side and the bottom..

But man, when I see some of the monsters, ahhhh... :D like that one in the snowy mountains on the Skellige islands

Anyway, some new screens - not the best quality, but for now that's the best we can get.. till maybe tuesday
NVTOlsF.png

MppcaGN.jpg

XY72Pum.jpg

or0cxbv.png

IDGctVJ.jpg

Edit: and another set new screens from the Gamestar article :)
yGGbIwW.jpg

57maZGj.jpg

EEi1t6L.jpg

nFhfu3k.jpg
(those walls should be already fixed, so don't panic people :) )
lkxbtLa.jpg

GcDXZHF.jpg

Daverid

Are those scans? Probably what's causing them to look a bit funky.
Game is definitely going to have its bad and outrageously gorgeous moments. Like that first shot in the field looks amazing, but then that final shot is pretty meh (Well except for the lighting which is lovely).

Still I can't get over just how amazing the character models are. Like there's lots of AAA titles that do great character models nowadays, but not-so-much RPG's (DA:I's models for example were really meh and looked plastic-y).
Not to mention you've got to take into consideration just how much of an improvement there is from TW2, mostly in the faces, but it's just awesome to see CDPR improve so much from their previous game/s and actually make that kind of effort (Unlike so many developers, especially certain RPG devs...).

Kezen

Banned
Hard to extract anything meaningful from those horribly compressed shots.

At this point I've come to term with the game never looking as good as once showcased. Recent footage looks very good, my only gripe is the very low amount of AF. It's not alien technology CDPR, I hope it can be forced in the driver panel.

Top Bottom