• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Titan X (Pascal) announced

Which upcoming Nvidia card are you most excited for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evo X

E: First benches seem good. 10~15fps boost over the 1080 stock to stock @ 4K.

Yeah, without any overclock, it is 36% faster than a 1080 in Witcher 3 4K, doing 60fps compared to 44. Can't wait for overclocked benchmarks.

dr_rus

NVIDIA-TITAN-X-Witcher-3-4K.png
NVIDIA-TITAN-X-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-4K.png
NVIDIA-TITAN-X-Far-Cry-Primal-4K.png

More: http://videocardz.com/62766/first-gaming-benchmarks-of-nvidia-titan-x-are-here

Well from a business POV why would they sink money in rushing Volta to market when AMD won't have anything to touch them in 2017 and they hit gold with their Pascal arch? It's supremely efficient.
From a business POV AMD isn't the sole competitor of NV and Xeon Phi is breathing down their neck in HPC markets so there's a clear reason to update GP100 to a newer more efficient Volta chip as soon as possible. And if they need Volta for HPC then Volta will come to gaming markets as well because for all we know it should be more efficient than Pascal which means that they'll be able to rise their margins again while providing the same performance - which is what most shareholders are dreaming about.

Let's be clear - I'm not saying they're not releasing new cards next year for the non-professional market. They will, but like I predicted above, these will likely be Pascal with HBM and full chips. If Volta is next year, it'll obsolete any Pascal HBM full chips (a true Pascal Titan) that they release. And if they don't decide to take advantage of HBM in the gaming enthusiast market with these full Pascal cards, they'll be leaving money on the table.
What's "full Pascal cards"? The only "gaming" card which isn't using a full die at the moment is Titan XP and you can argue that it's not that much of gaming card really.

Putting HBM2 on GP102 makes no sense as you either get the same b/w as with GDDR5X for more money or GP100 bandwidth with not enough math power to saturate it. And GP100 for gaming makes even less sense than GP102 with HBM2. The only part which would probably win from using HBM2 in gaming is a theoretical Pascal GPU with 600mm^2 die made on 16FF+ fitting 5120 SPs but such part is completely uneconomical right now as it would probably cost >$3000 in retail.

And next year they should have Volta ready for production parts meaning that it's rather unlikely that we'll see a Pascal refresh (especially if you consider that Pascal itself is already a refresh of a refresh of Maxwell 1) as there's not a lot of reasons not to use a newer more efficient architecture if it's ready.

Is this Titan really putting out much better 4K performance on its launch day as the 1080 and 980Ti before it were at their release? Seems to me 4K performance is creeping up very slowly and drops pretty rapidly over the lifetime of each card.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I came THIS close to ordering one today at lunch, but it turns out that I just could not bring myself to do it.

Turns out that $1200 is unreasonable to this bachelor that earns six figures. I'm shocked at my restraint.

Well, I came THIS close to ordering one today at lunch, but it turns out that I just could not bring myself to do it.

Turns out that $1200 is unreasonable to this bachelor that earns six figures. I'm shocked at my restraint.

same here. in absolute terms i could buy it whenever i wanted, but the price is ridiculous. and the cooler is not up to snuff

Renekton

Not-so-stealth brag!

kromeo

Turned up this morning, didn't realise they'd even shipped it yet. It's actually not quite as bad value in the UK considering how ridiculously expensive 1080s are here. I can't see the Ti's launching at less than £800...

Turned up this morning, didn't realise they'd even shipped it yet. It's actually not quite as bad value in the UK considering how ridiculously expensive 1080s are here. I can't see the Ti's launching at less than £800...
Post Brexit 1080Tis are going to indeed suck.

I honestly don't think peeps who buy Titans care about money, so probably not.

I felt a little sting.. but then I remembered that the Titan had twice as much vram as the 980 Ti and I wasn't as bothered.

Granted, there haven't been that many times when 12GB of vram paid off.. but it sure did in Rise of the Tomb Raider

Evo X

Did anyone who bought a Maxwell Titan X *not* feel completely ripped off when the 980Ti came out?

I would like to debunk shit like this right now.

I bought a Maxwell Titan X at launch last March for $999 and just sold it on eBay for $750.

Total cost to enjoy incredible gaming for the past 16 months = $250

The 980Ti debuted at $699 and used examples are now selling for $350.

Total Cost to own for 13 months = $350

So I had a better experience for a longer time and it cost me less money. Yes, it was more expensive up front, but over time it also depreciated less due to it's limited nature and higher VRAM.

spannicus

This price is ridiculous. More power to you guys but this card is too rich for my blood. My 980ti still does 4k around 30 to 50fps in some games. Im gonna wait and see what the 1080ti is about. Damn Nvidia

Cimarron

Hmmmm... sort of want? I have a 980 vanilla sli rig. I wonder if I will see a significant boost with this card? Maybe I should get that 4k monitor.

I'm thinking now that a similarly cut-down 1080 Ti with GDDRX5 VRAM is coming by the end of this year. Next year they'll release a 'true' Titan X. Full chip and HBM memory. Because of these perks enthusiasts will snap it up. Then that may be followed by another 1080 Ti card based on the same chip without HBM or with less of it.

Remember with Kepler the Titan was followed up with a Titan Black.

Titan X "Rev. 2" mit GP102 angekündigt: Ab August für 1.200 USD [Update: Launch und offizielle Bilder]

GP100 won't be released for gaming market, it makes no sense as it will be slower than GP102 while costing considerably more. A 600mm^2 GP200 or GP202 however is possible. It's also possible that a GV104 (Volta based) will be in the same performance league as GP102 and will launch next year.

https://videocardz.com/68039/nvidia-launches-titan-xp-with-3840-cuda-cores

I predicted this several months ago, it was obvious it was happening yet people here were acting incredulous like the Titan X was the full chip!

Only thing is it came a lot later than I thought, to milk the Nvidia enthusiasts even more no doubt. Spend $1200 for a Titan X. Now spend $800 for a 1080 Ti that's faster. Actually we have another card, it's called the Titan XP and is faster than both so buy that again for $1200.

Top Bottom