• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted 4 Amy Hennig details emerge and departure from Naughty Dog

Wozman23

Since I wasn't a big fan of U4, I'd always hoped to get a glimpse of the original vision, but now I'm glad they didn't go all out with no combat for the first half. The end product was already too light on shooting segments in its first half.

The games have been some of the best in the last decade, so listening to criticisms that go against the grain of the entire game seems like a dumb idea, whether that's in terms of too much shooting or too many set pieces. To me Uncharted is large scale set pieces, solid gunfights, and puzzles. Stripping away any of that creates a lesser product.

Creating handholds from gunshots does sound cool though. Ambitious, but cool.

Still, the worst cut is the kids sword fighting. Not only would it have been a great tutorial for the uncharacteristic final boss fight, but a wonderful call back as well.

Risev1

But the same happens in the auction anyway, things like the pickpocketing are just gimmicks used for that one sequence and then thrown away. I'm not complaining, by the way, I thought it was a really neat sequence, but he just replaced a concept he disliked for the exact same concept, only executed differently.

Eh I imagine holding the left trigger (a mechanic which already exists for the entirety of the game, allowing you to focus in on something outside of combat) to look at something until a circle is full is far simpler and costs far less resources than a full-on dance mini-game.

Falchion

From this info, I'm glad we got the Uncharted we did because half the game with no gunplay sounds like a slog.

Watched that video this morning. What we eventually got sounds a fair bit better than Hennig's original vision. Don't really get how you're supposed to make a reveal out of Sam being Nate's brother when a lot of people were already speculating that by the reveal trailer alone. Would've fallen completely flat. Also, taking on board the nonsense criticisms about 'ludonarrative dissonance' and removing gunplay from the first half of the game would've been an ill-conceived decision as well.

The details that have emerged really do highlight how shoehorned-in and unnecessary Nadine was to the overall plot though.

Fisty

- No gun combat for half the game, vehicle based (Unkarted was a reality)
-Huge emphasis on melee combat
-No mechanic you shoot at walls and use that to climb
- New boost mechanic
- Dance Dance mini game

Holy shit, Druckmann redeemed

ZeroX03

Banned
Also by the sounds of things, a lot of these elements weren't fully explored by Hennig yet because of the small team. Sounds like a decent chunk could've changed or developed or refined.

From this info, I'm glad we got the Uncharted we did because half the game with no gunplay sounds like a slog.

Um.

Korigama

Hm, no Nadine aside (didn't think much of her myself, and not looking forward to more of her once I get around to The Lost Legacy), I prefer what we actually got. No shooting for half of the game in favor of vehicles and melee-heavy gameplay with that series' combat mechanics don't sound like my idea of fun. Also, Sam being a villain at all would've seemed cliched.

Hmm so people that found the pacing horrible and said that druckman destroyed Uncharted, maybe would be even less happy with Hennings Version?

MattAces

I'm REALLY glad that Sam didn't turn out to be a villain.
The fact that Sam wasn't a villain is such a twist for me because the whole time I was waiting, is this how you turn into a villain? Hmm ok nope. Is this it? Not yet?

dracula_x

Anyway, I think this is the reason for Straley's current break from development.

Immediately after Hennig's departure, Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra called Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley into a meeting to tell them that she was gone. Both Druckmann and Straley wanted to work on other games they'd been playing around with prototypes for a sequel to The Last of Us and Straley in particular was feeling burned out. But when asked to lead the development of Uncharted 4, they said they'd do it on one condition: they needed full creative control. They weren't interested in finishing the story that Hennig had started, and while they'd try to salvage some of the characters (like Sam and Rafe) and environments (big areas in Scotland and Madagascar), they'd also have to throw out a lot of work that Uncharted 4's team had done so far.

so, only 2 years in development – pretty impressive

Risev1

I just played through the game again and the whole thing about the game barely having any shooting is blown soo much out of proportion. The game has as much shooting in it as any of the other games far as I recall. It's just a much longer game so the segments without shooting feel a little longer is all.

Alienous

Hmm so people that found the pacing horrible and said that druckman destroyed Uncharted, maybe would be even less happy with Hennings Version?

Or maybe they'd be more happy?

That version of the game was never seen to fruition.

At the very least I'm finding Hennig's version of Uncharted 4 to be more conceptually interesting.

Also, the chapter really, really highlights the importance of strong leadership in steering a troubled project.

For all of the individual talent that ND has, leadership capabilities isn't something you gain easily and in times of massive difficulty, Neil/Bruce were the only ones who could see the finish line and knew what needed to be done to get it there.

ItIsOkBro

also a revealing twist that they're actually brothers is one of those stupid twists ala Spectre. only a twist because you've withheld information from the audience, not a twist for the actual characters.

Alienous

also a revealing twist that they're actually brothers is one of those stupid twists ala Spectre. only a twist because you've withheld information from the audience, not a twist for the actual characters.

Uncharted 4's twist functions on lying to the player, presenting falsehoods in the same way as reality, which isn't much better.

I doubt it.

That's all you can really do. Doubt.

That video just lifted all the information from Jason's book (which is great, btw), but since we're here

I now understand the story behind her exit a bunch more after having read the story about U4 in his book. Very enlightening.

Koozek

Get Jason's book, guys. It's a great, insightful read - or, in my case, listen (voiced by Ray Chase, the voice of FFXV's Noctis, btw) - for anyone interested in gaming.

Fisty

I'm REALLY glad that Sam didn't turn out to be a villain.
The fact that Sam wasn't a villain is such a twist for me because the whole time I was waiting, is this how you turn into a villain? Hmm ok nope. Is this it? Not yet?

When they started showing the flashbacks and their relationship, I started to think he wasn't actually going to be the villian. The anti-betrayal felt earned, unlike the Sully fake-out in UC3 which made eyes roll backwards 5 times in a row

The version we got sound better .
Still some of hennig sound interesting .
Of course stuff looking good on paper don't always work in game.
Also no action in first half of the game is crazy .

Gurish

I just played through the game again and the whole thing about the game barely having any shooting is blown soo much out of proportion. The game has as much shooting in it as any of the other games far as I recall. It's just a much longer game so the segments without shooting feel a little longer is all.

Indeed. Those comments about "UC4 already got no combat so what's the difference!?" are really dumb, don't know if people are intentionally ignoring the amount of combat in the game or they just suffer from short memory, but the finished product had plenty of combat even if you wished it had more and it certainly not even close to Hennig's pretty awful vision.

Gradly

I don’t think Henning’s version of the story is any better or worse than what we got. Anyway ever since I saw that Madagascar car demo I wanted a car racing game mode :) gonna like Unkarted game if they make that

Alienous

but we're right there with Drake being lied to.

I suppose it's sort of the flip-side of Nathan Drake not revealing Sam was his brother.

In U4 Drake has a trust in his brother that I didn't have as a player, seeing Sam as a shady individual with an untrustworthy escape story.

Whereas in Hennig's version it would have (seemingly) been Drake keeping quiet about Sam being his brother, just like he has for 3 games prior. I think that would have added to be feeling like this long-con Nathan Drake has perpetuated - that he isn't as noble as he portrays himself to be outwardly.

I feel like I'd prefer the latter, but that might just be personal preference.

Sure.

Those people didn't like segments with no shooting. And you're saying that they would be fine with Amy Hennig's UC4 design, right? :) nonsense.

With an enhanced focus on melee combat, which seemed to be implied, maybe?

Or maybe they'd be more happy?

That version of the game was never seen to fruition.

At the very least I'm finding Hennig's version of Uncharted 4 to be more conceptually interesting.
ND can never satisfy everyone really, some people dont like shooting, some want more of it, same with the climbing, some want more puzzles, some like those narrative chapter where you just walking and enjoy the story.

People often complaint about the pacing in U4. That there are too many chapters where you didnt have combat. But those non combat chapter are all exposition and story focused chapter and sonce I also enjoy the character and story of Uncharted. I really have no problem with those chapter.

U4 is my fave game in the series.

Gbraga

I don't think it's entirely fair to judge the story quality of her pre-production concept without a full team to what we got in the end after delays and all. It's more of a premise, at that point, I'd imagine.

Remember how Tess was supposed to be this villain chasing you all the way through the country in the first iterations of The Last of Us? Doesn't that sound stupid? A lot of things change until the final version we receive, of course the real Uncharted 4 is much more polished than the ideas that never received a full team.

Eh I imagine holding the left trigger (a mechanic which already exists for the entirety of the game, allowing you to focus in on something outside of combat) to look at something until a circle is full is far simpler and costs far less resources than a full-on dance mini-game.

Sure, but it has nothing to do with his creative vision, then. "He's ok with gimmicks, as long as they're cheap to create" is not what it says in that quote.

Reorx

It's a long video it's 20 minutes.

- No gun combat for half the game, vehicle based (Unkarted was a reality)
-Huge emphasis on melee combat
-No mechanic you shoot at walls and use that to climb
- New boost mechanic
- Dance Dance mini game
- Elena would have been with Drake for the first half of the game on his adventure
- No Nadine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwHJojouxI

https://www.psu.com/news/34094/uncharted-4-development-troubled-history-surfaces
dance dance mini game...? yeah handing the game over to Druckmann was the right decision.

With an enhanced focus on melee combat, maybe?

Nah even with that UC was always a TPS .
Having less of that would always be bad .
Plus the shooting so good in UC4.

Side note that ND made this game so fast even after all the problems show why you need good leads.

zsynqx

Yea the story we got was better

I don't think it's fair to say this without having played through it. A lot of it would come down to the execution.Let's say you just read the outline of TLOU story without any additional context, it just sounds like another generic zombie tale. It isn't until you play it that you really appreciate what they were going for.

With that being said, I'm super happy with the version we got, even more so after Jason's book and hearing how rushed they were during development.

This!!

HALF the game would have been vehicle based? No thanks.

Edit: Oops, half the game wouldn't have gun combat*. Would have been interesting, guess it depends on how long the game would have been. Probably shorter than what we got, and a more intimate story with the melee. Sounds interesting, and probably better off since Sam would have been a bad guy from the start and then slowly forgiven. Actually, I think I like that story much better because I really didn't like/trust Sam and he just turned out to be a really selfish guy who lied to Drake about some bullshit.

Having him resent Drake for all those years would have been good, but it also makes Drake kind of an asshole for not ever mentioning his brother. Of course, this is the kind of shit that happens when you suddenly bring up an important character this late in the series, so maybe the entire idea was bad to begin with.

At least they didn't go the Mummy route and introduced a kid lol.

UC4's rom com, sappy romance, and brother drama was corny, boring crap.

Yet it had the best treasure adventure story. Im always conflicted by that, but the bloated slow stuff pulls it down far too much for me to go back to it ever again. I seriously hate how they jammed Last of Us's story design into a game where it just didn't fit.

kpaadet

With an enhanced focus on melee combat, which seemed to be implied, maybe?

The melee works in addition to the shooting or 1v1s like the end of 3 and 4. Having to only melee fight a bunch of guys dons't sound very fun to me. That's why I also thought the beginning to 3 was not very good seen from a gameplay perspective.

timberger

That sounds much worse than what we got.

After Uncharted 3, I always thought it was good Hennig was gone, this pretty much confirms it.

Top Bottom