• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer

ckaneo

I would not be surprised if this Goron scene is at the end of one of the dungeons, the background and place their stood screams shiekah to me and it looks like big parts of one of the mechanical beast can be scene just behind them (like vertebrae) and the ground their stood on looks like it too.

Link has the master sword though...

Yes it's intentional. The videos were not intended to be viewed on their own. The website has the music is looping on it's own layer whilst the video is meant to play in the background.
On mobile, the first link takes me to the jp site with the three new videos in thumbnails, everyone plays the main theme (which I mentioned before has that horrible transition at 1:05. The other links in the OP directly play the clips with no music

Did I stress how much I hate the part at 1:05 ruining this amazing song?

spekkeh

Banned
They were asked multiple times about this, and they've been adamant about it. Zelda is a one dimensional damsel in distress. She can't be allowed strength and independence actually, otherwise it undermines the very canonical male Link apparently. I'm still wondering what happened with the female Link rumors we had going last year.
Bleh, Zelda always has plenty strength and independence. Did you actually play some of the previous ones? But she's the triforce of wisdom, not courage.

I should stop watching videos now.

same for me. NIntendo has a tendency to show too much. I had to go on black out for skyward sword and I'm glad I've done it cause they really spoiled a lot of the game. I'm sure a part of the lukewarm reception from some people was caused by the over exposure some parts of the game got, spoiling a lot of discovery and mystery.

Cloukyo

Banned
They were asked multiple times about this, and they've been adamant about it. Zelda is a one dimensional damsel in distress. She can't be allowed strength and independence actually, otherwise it undermines the very canonical male Link apparently. I'm still wondering what happened with the female Link rumors we had going last year.

Helps Link in:
Ocarina (as Sheik, a lone assassin)
Wind Waker (as Tetra, leader of the pirates)
Twilight Princess (she sacrifices herself to help Midna, who herself is a princess with a dominant role in the plot)

She's also the reincarnation of the goddess Hylia, has the triforce of wisdom, and has the strongest magic power in all of Hyrule.

Meanwhile Link literally can't talk and is just an avatar for the player. She's got FAR more character than Link does, in literally every game she's been in.

So no, she's not one dimensional, and she's not weak.

Have you played any Zelda games?

I agree that it'd be cool to play as Zelda in one of these games (NOT to have Link as a girl, needlessly breaking the canon mythology of the story of him being a reincarnation of the warrior who Hylia fell in love with). I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in Breath of the Wild.

Hey, you should maybe play an entry in this franchise sometime.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Did you actually play some of the previous ones?

Have you played any Zelda games?

Hey, you should maybe play an entry in this franchise sometime.

No I've never played a Zelda game ever. Seriously people? I mean...really? Just because I can't stand the decisions they are making with ONE game doesn't mean that I've never played the series. I mean...really guys. REALLY?

Furthermore, more power to you. Enjoy the game. It's looking like a fantastic piece of art.

Forkball

Zelda's kidnap record:

Zelda: From the start
Zelda II: From the start
LttP: From the start
OoT: At the very end
Oracles: At the end, only in the linked games
Wind Waker: Near the end
Minish Cap: From the start
PH: Not kidnapped, but is only Tetra
ST: Never played it but I think she doesn't get kidnapped
TP: Near the end
SS: Kinda near the end but she also goes into a crystal or something at the halfway mark
LBW: From the start

Despite her always falling into the hands of the baddies, she is developed more than many other characters in the game and shows positive aspects such as courage and kindness. Plus she's always embued with some sort of magic power/ability. I think that's largely why so many people want her to be a playable character, because she does have a story arc throughout the games and want her to you know, not get kidnapped.

Muninn

Banned
People of certain games are just super touchy. It was only a year or two after SS that people could actually criticize it. I feel like Zelda will get a free pass from most reviewers but I may be wrong. I am sure it will be great anyway, but reviewers tend to not criticize major Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda past a certain point. We'll see how this one goes.

That is unless the game is actually perfect lol.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Helps Link in:
Ocarina (as Sheik, a lone assassin)
Wind Waker (as Tetra, leader of the pirates)

Hey, remember when OOT Zelda takes off her Sheik disguise and is instantly kidnapped?

Hey remember in Wind Waker when Tetra finds out she's really Princess Zelda... and all her sass and determination evaporate as she hides in the basement until she gets kidnapped off-screen?

Cloukyo

Banned
No I've never played a Zelda game ever. Seriously people? I mean...really? Just because I can't stand the decisions they are making with ONE game doesn't mean that I've never played the series. I mean...really guys. REALLY?

Furthermore, more power to you. Enjoy the game. It's looking like a fantastic piece of art.

I'm fairly sure you made a sweeping statement that Zelda is a one dimensional character who can't be allowed strength and independence. So that's not one game.

Even if you were only referring to Breath of the Wild, that's absolutely ridiculous because the game isn't even out yet, and it seems the most plot focused yet. She might be the most three dimensional character in Zelda yet.

Hell even in the trailer you can see her taking on Ganon with her magic.

Merc_

Oh boy, another fight about Zelda! Hey guys, what about a female Link?

yHSHiuk.gif

NewGame

Banned
All of these trailers scream "playable Zelda" to me.

At the end of the direct video we distinctly hear

"You must save her... my daughter"

This could be taking 2 ways

1) Confirming that 'her' is the daughter
or
2) Zelda has to save 'her'

Cloukyo

Banned
Hey, remember when OOT Zelda takes off her Sheik disguise and is instantly kidnapped?

Hey remember in Wind Waker when Tetra finds out she's really Princess Zelda... and all her sass and determination evaporate as she hides in the basement until she gets kidnapped off-screen?

Ok? Does that somehow undo the fact that she's been helping out all the other times in the game? Does a girl have to be sassy all the way through to be a three dimensional and independent character? I'd assume showing different sides of a character would actually add more depth to them. Even then, Zelda in WW plays a key role in beating ganon. In OoT, Zelda uses her magic to give Link his childhood back.

Zelda has a very active role in the texture of the plot for both those games. If you're going to complain about Zelda being kidnapped you might as well complain about Link being forced to escape Hyrule and hide in a temple. Or any sort of peril Link gets into in the plot.

Zelda is by far a more dynamic character than Link, and she displays a lot of strength and independence in many of the games. Calling her simply a "damsel in distress" and "one dimensional" couldn't be more incorrect.

But calling her a great fully realized heroine is fine. Got it.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here

KingBroly

Banned

or

Zelda is the daughter. The King is saying it. Who's the King? THE OLD MAN DUN DUN DUNNNN (I have no idea, maybe the Deku Tree is Zelda's father, I dunno). I've been calling playable Zelda for a long time, though. I personally think it will happen in the post-game, assuming there is one.

This footage, for the most part, seems like raw capture footage across both Wii U and Switch.

Cloukyo

Banned
Zelda is the daughter. The King is saying it. Who's the King? THE OLD MAN DUN DUN DUNNNN (I have no idea, maybe the Deku Tree is Zelda's father, I dunno). I've been calling playable Zelda for a long time, though. I personally think it will happen in the post-game, assuming there is one.

This footage, for the most part, seems like raw capture footage across both Wii U and Switch.

I don't think there's any reason for her to wear non-regal clothes for any reason other than for battle. In which case I think it'd make sense for her to be playable.

ckaneo

I don't think there's any reason for her to wear non-regal clothes for any reason other than for battle. In which case I think it'd make sense for her to be playable.
Well we know NPCS can fight enemies, her helping link is much more likely

takriel

same for me. NIntendo has a tendency to show too much. I had to go on black out for skyward sword and I'm glad I've done it cause they really spoiled a lot of the game. I'm sure a part of the lukewarm reception from some people was caused by the over exposure some parts of the game got, spoiling a lot of discovery and mystery.
Yeah that was really silly of Nintendo. Spoil every area before the game releases? Why of course that's a good idea!

TrueBlue

Hmm, this is a problem to be fair. The Tetra one is particularly frustrating since she gets back all those aspects for the final battle.

I wouldn't call Zelda one dimensional, it's just they always seem to revert to her being the damsel at the end. That's not necessarily a bust, mind. I just don't think Ninty ever pulls it off in a satisfactory way.

Either way it's too early to say how BOTW Zelda will turn out. At the very least it seems she'll have a stronger presence here than in any other gane in the series. Hopefully that leads to some good things.

Rodin

Hey, remember when the almighty Cirilla, with witcher training and immense powers, spent the entire game hiding and running from Eredin? Sometimes the enemy is just too fucking strong maybe. Or is Ciri a "damisel in distress"?

ckaneo

As far as I know, they said there were no companions in this game?

That's not what they meant, they were talking about Midna, Navi, and Fi.

The dogs, horses, and sand walruses are literally called companions in the game.

Zelda also talks to link though, but she doesnt help, which I think is weird. Apparently she comments on Wind Blight Ganon

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ok? Does that somehow undo the fact that she's been helping out all the other times in the game? Does a girl have to be sassy all the way through to be a three dimensional and independent character? I'd assume showing different sides of a character would actually add more depth to them. Even then, Zelda in WW plays a key role in beating ganon. In OoT, Zelda uses her magic to give Link his childhood back.

Zelda has a very active role in the texture of the plot for both those games. If you're going to complain about Zelda being kidnapped you might as well complain about Link being forced to escape Hyrule and hide in a temple. Or any sort of peril Link gets into in the plot.

Zelda is by far a more dynamic character than Link, and she displays a lot of strength and independence in many of the games. Calling her simply a "damsel in distress" and "one dimensional" couldn't be more incorrect.

What has changed between Tetra fearlessly ninja-kicking Ganondorf in the face, and then when she's in the basement going "Go help Hyrule. I will wait here"? That's not depth, that's two diametrically opposite characters. All that has happened is she is now wearing a dress and was told she's a princess. And yet she goes from a beacon of confidence to a delicate little flower. Everything from the way she holds herself to the way she's written indicates a distinctly different character, all because of a wardrobe change...

This moment
Zelda-Winking-At-The-Dicking.jpg

is literally the only hint you have in the entire back half of the game that she's even remotely the same character as this:

And you can say this somehow doesn't make her one-dimensional, except the whole time she does anything other than be captured or occasionally use some vaguely useful magic spell (only when it's convenient for you, of course) is when you're still under the impression she's not Zelda. Like, if you're older than the age of 10, you've probably already figured it out. But even still, on the narrative's terms, her becoming Zelda pretty much strips Tetra's character of any of its energy.

It might not match Horizon technically but artstyle and atmosphere make more than up for it.

Cannot believe that Nintendo made me buy a whole console for just one game...nothing else interests me on switch until a new Metroid and Persona drop.

Cloukyo

Banned
What has changed between Tetra fearlessly ninja-kicking Ganondorf in the face, and then when she's in the basement going "Go help Hyrule. I will wait here"? That's not depth, that's two diametrically opposite characters. All that has happened is she is now wearing a dress and was told she's a princess. And yet she goes from a beacon of confidence to a delicate little flower. Everything from the way she holds herself to the way she's written indicates a distinctly different character, all because of a wardrobe change...

This moment
Zelda-Winking-At-The-Dicking.jpg

is literally the only hint you have in the entire back half of the game that she's even remotely the same character as this:

And you can say this somehow doesn't make her one-dimensional, except the whole time she does anything other than be captured or occasionally use some vaguely useful magic spell (only when it's convenient for you, of course) is when you're still under the impression she's not Zelda. Like, if you're older than the age of 10, you've probably already figured it out. But even still, on the narrative's terms, her becoming Zelda pretty much strips Tetra's character of any of its energy.

Ok but... Tetra IS Zelda, so I'm not sure what you're saying here. Ok so there's a moment in the game where she finds out she's a princess, so she doesn't act like a sassy pirate during that time, so what. The Zelda of WW includes Tetra, just like the Zelda of OoT includes Sheik. Why are you stripping Zelda of her 80% the time she spent in the game? Narratively Tetra and Zelda are the same character, whether you think the writing is shitty or not, you can't say Zelda is a weak damsel in distress. She still helps Link when she's a pirate, and helps deliver the final blow at the end.

ckaneo

It might not match Horizon technically but artstyle and atmosphere make more than up for it.

Cannot believe that Nintendo made me buy a whole console for just one game...nothing else interests me on switch until a new Metroid and Persona drop.

Mario hater?

All of these are great, and I love the music in this game...
But I hate the extremely rough transition around 1:05 where it goes from crescendo to complete silence then back like 7 bars

It's jarring, and has been since e3.

Exactly my sentiments. Thats why I prefered the main theme from the voice acted trailer.

or

Nah, is just a shitty translation from the american version, in the rest of the languages the King says:
"You must save my people and my daughter"

Top Bottom