• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

Detonator
Laser
PowerShot
Rocket Launcher
Smartbomb
Sword

Personally (and from watching others stream) Smartbomb is the way to go. Press the trigger and a small radius of enemies die. Really helpful to get out of right situations.

The 2nd helpful one is the Rocket Launcher. Makes bosses much easier to deal with.

Before every boss battle, there's a powerup box in case you want to switch it up. You just have to wait till the powerup you want shows up. It goes in rotation. I'll use a smartbomb throughout the level them switch to the rocket.

The other ones aren't great, imo but maybe they'll be handy in certain situations. The Powershot has you charge up your gun and take out enemies in a straight line. The Laser makes you move slowww but kills quick.
Once you break past a certain skill barrier, I feel Smartbomb becomes rather redundant. Not to say its intended niche is terrible mind you (far from it) and it's a skill that doesn't exactly require much thinking in the heat of it all, but I'll elaborate.

Smartbomb has its place early on when you're still learning the game or haven't acquired certain power-ups yet; Triple Dash makes avoiding enemies a whole lot easier and while smaller in blast radius, Dash Explosion practically scratches the same itch as Smartbomb. The latter requires a little bit of practice, namely familiarizing yourself with dash distances and when it'll be a bad idea to act assertive with it, but once you're in your element Smartbomb doesn't grant you a new strength in terms of flexibility. Doubling down on close-range prowess becomes problematic on the higher difficulties when chasing after scores (read: checking all the boxes for a 'perfect' run) since you lack a ranged crowd control tool. This is where Detonate shines: identical explosion to that of Smartbomb's - meaning you can still use it as a close-quarters panic button or eliminate incoming fire with it - on top of the benefits that a manual detonation projectile brings to the table, one which ignores collision including walls to boot. It's very handy at a certain level of expertise, in any case.

Furthermore: it just seems as if every weapon provides players with enough legroom to craft a strategy around it. I tend to favour Powershot over Rocket Launcher for example to cover innate weaknesses more efficiently - regardless of both having different up- and downsides to them - given that the former (which also has a relatively wide hitbox) is more practical at dispatching high-priority targets from afar. Laser is also nifty for Yeti Kong specifically, since it shoots through those bullet-blocking purple boulders the boss hurls at you. Sword appears really situational, but quite frankly I haven't given it enough of a try yet to fully discover its worth.

Anyhow: merely bringing this up for the sake of discussion instead of giving off a "no you're WRONG!" vibe.

Yeah I'm out the difficulty is too much at experienced, stuck at the boss with over 100 lives spent.
Just try again from scratch. The difficulty is deceptive in that it's significantly lower with power-ups, so use continues as a way to process information about a boss' patterns before giving it another proper shake.

danowat

Banned
Do secondary weapons 'stack'? or when you collect one, and then collect another it takes the original ones place?

Is there a guide for the UI in the lower left hand corner, I can't make it out, not that I can draw my eyes from the screen long enough to concentrate on it anyway.

MrS

Banned
Anyhow: merely bringing this up for the sake of discussion instead of giving off a "no you're WRONG!" vibe.
None of the close quarters weapons are viable for the later boss fights as you want to put as much distance between yourself and the boss as possible. Rocket Launcher is, imo, by far the best for this and makes the other weapons not viable.

Do secondary weapons 'stack'? or when you collect one, and then collect another it takes the original ones place?

Is there a guide for the UI in the lower left hand corner, I can't make it out, not that I can draw my eyes from the screen long enough to concentrate on it anyway.

They don't stack and the one you have equipped gets replaced when you pick up another.

HispanicGuy wrote this UI guide a few pages back

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
legit having a HARD ASS time seeing my character sometimes

other than that fantastic game as usual Housemarque

MrS

Banned
Thank you!

Another question, does dashing give you i frames?
In the early worlds, you can't get killed while you're dashing. Later on there are these crazy purple beams that you can't dash through that will kill you when they hit you.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I love that there's zero training or pop up tips during games the first level. It's like "Here's the game. Good luck, you'll need it!". 😉

Thank you!

Another question, does dashing give you i frames?

Yes, during dashing and a short period after that. Keep in mind though in later levels the swirling purple beam can not be dashed through.

Just try again from scratch. The difficulty is deceptive in that it's significantly lower with power-ups, so use continues as a way to process information about a boss' patterns before giving it another proper shake.

Yeti Kong on experienced with just a subweapon and a terrible eyesight feels impossible.

Amneisac

Bullet hell isn't my thing, but this is still pretty fun. I won't get a ton of play out of it I'm sure because I'll get frustrated but it's nice looking.

I'm a little sad that it will probably sell so much better than Alienation only because I really loved that game and I'm assuming since it didn't sell well and this will they'll abandon that type of game.

Karak also nailed the criticism of the player weapons. They do feel pretty weak.

george_us

Bullet hell isn't my thing, but this is still pretty fun. I won't get a ton of play out of it I'm sure because I'll get frustrated but it's nice looking.

I'm a little sad that it will probably sell so much better than Alienation only because I really loved that game and I'm assuming since it didn't sell well and this will they'll abandon that type of game.

Karak also nailed the criticism of the player weapons. They do feel pretty weak.
Really? I think they feel pretty powerful myself. Only one I'm not fond of is the sword. Needs more reach to be effective imo.

Calabi

The way you uncap the framerate is a bit weird if I didn't have an option in my monitor to change the hz then I'm not sure how else I would be able to do it.(I did think it was locked to 60 for a bit). Its weird it seems to be maxing my gpu usage with 100 fps +, but the temp doesnt go much above 60 degrees(most other games would got up to 80 degrees).

I like it. I like the hit box being smaller than than the mesh, and it clearly shows it when you get close to objects its the little things like that the makes it good. I die a lot but I feel like this is easier than resogun to me.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^^
And for taking out a massive group of fodder you've left bunched up behind. Great also for those human fiddlers. It's my go-to weapon.

Really? I think they feel pretty powerful myself. Only one I'm not fond of is the sword. Needs more reach to be effective imo.

Use the sword with a dash at close range to take out a whole bunch of enemies. Works quite effectively.

bombshell

legit having a HARD ASS time seeing my character sometimes

other than that fantastic game as usual Housemarque

Looking through the customization items in the character profile, it looks like the default character is just a bland basic looking character. I think the character will pop a lot more when we unlock some of the colorful armor and helmet colors.

I don't yet have the credits for them, so I have not tried any of them.

Once you break past a certain skill barrier, I feel Smartbomb becomes rather redundant. Not to say its intended niche is terrible mind you (far from it) and it's a skill that doesn't exactly require much thinking in the heat of it all, but I'll elaborate.

Smartbomb has its place early on when you're still learning the game or haven't acquired certain power-ups yet; Triple Dash makes avoiding enemies a whole lot easier and while smaller in blast radius, Dash Explosion practically scratches the same itch as Smartbomb. The latter requires a little bit of practice, namely familiarizing yourself with dash distances and when it'll be a bad idea to act assertive with it, but once you're in your element Smartbomb doesn't grant you a new strength in terms of flexibility. Doubling down on close-range prowess becomes problematic on the higher difficulties when chasing after scores (read: checking all the boxes for a 'perfect' run) since you lack a ranged crowd control tool. This is where Detonate shines: identical explosion to that of Smartbomb's - meaning you can still use it as a close-quarters panic button or eliminate incoming fire with it - on top of the benefits that a manual detonation projectile brings to the table, one which ignores collision including walls to boot. It's very handy at a certain level of expertise, in any case.

Furthermore: it just seems as if every weapon provides players with enough legroom to craft a strategy around it. I tend to favour Powershot over Rocket Launcher for example to cover innate weaknesses more efficiently - regardless of both having different up- and downsides to them - given that the former (which also has a relatively wide hitbox) is more practical at dispatching high-priority targets from afar. Laser is also nifty for Yeti Kong specifically, since it shoots through those bullet-blocking purple boulders the boss hurls at you. Sword appears really situational, but quite frankly I haven't given it enough of a try yet to fully discover its worth.

You definitely make a valid point. I've spent so much time with Smartbomb and Rocket Launcher that I don't know much about the others and how they come into play during layer levels. I'll mess around with them when I get back on. Appreciate the tips!

Would love to test the Sword some more. It's needed for some of the feats so it's bound to get some use sooner or later.

Airbar

Neo Member
Someone on Linux tested if the game works via Wine? Game seems mighty tempting but I exlusively use Linux nowadays and don't really care to get the game on PS4

lcap

Man, this game! Only played about half an hour yesterday between my jobs but man, this is much better than Resogun (that I thought was fantastic).

I sincerely hope they sell a lot to see more from Housemarque. With this and Matterfall in a few months I'll be very busy with their games.

Sidon

K this game is ... pretty frikkin' good. All of it is just dead on: movement, combat, graphics, so slick (playing this one on PC).

I've never played Resogun or Alienation, are these 2 worth it? Especially Alienation has me intrigued - from what I read it's like a Diablo twin stick shooter.

K this game is ... pretty frikkin' good. All of it is just dead on: movement, combat, graphics, so slick (playing this one on PC).

I've never played Resogun or Alienation, are these 2 worth it? Especially Alienation has me intrigued - from what I read it's like a Diablo twin stick shooter.

The problem with Alienation is that there's actually not much character customisation per class, so it can get quite boring / repetitive after a while. You can tweak your abilities but not really shape how the class is played.

It's fun as a twin stick shooter, but doesn't hold up as a RPG that I would recommend anyone played more long-term. Nex Machina is like they took all of the good facets of Alienation, turned them up to 11 and then dropped the lacklustre RPG mechanics.

I think it's worth playing though, just doesn't hold up as well as others. Dead Nation on the other hand I think is very dull.

Super Stardust and Resogun are both worth a look.

MrS

Banned

Resogun is still one of the best PS4 games and an essential buy if you like Nex. Alienation isn't as good as Resogun but it's still really enjoyable. I'd also recommend Ghost Blade HD and Jamestown+ which are both really good but not by Housemarque.

What's everybody's favourite world?

Looking through the customization items in the character profile, it looks like the default character is just a bland basic looking character. I think the character will pop a lot more when we unlock some of the colorful armor and helmet colors.

I don't yet have the credits for them, so I have not tried any of them.
Holy shit, I didn't know there was customization lol

dl77

Both are. I'd also include Helldivers in there as well.

ChanMan

Resogun is still one of the best PS4 games and an essential buy if you like Nex. Alienation isn't as good as Resogun but it's still really enjoyable. I'd also recommend Ghost Blade HD and Jamestown+ which are both really good but not by Housemarque.

What's everybody's favourite world?

I really liked Alienation just wished online think become so dead a month after release. I will say Nex Machina is definitely my favorite HM game so far. I thought Resogun was was cool but it wasn't my type of game. Like someone else stated they took both Resogun and Alienation and had a baby. Very curious to see how Matterfall turns out to be.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think this is the best game HM has done.
It honestly might be. I can't stop thinking about some of the enemies, animations, special effects and the overall voxel insanity. This game was designed for arcade mastery, where every millisecond decision counts and positioning is of utmost importance. Overall, it's just immense fun to play and just look at.

You can easily feel the Eugene Jarvis influence with a lot of these enemies/levels and it is fucking awesome! Hats off to Housemarque once again for delivering as expected. I can't freaking wait till Materfall now!

Edit:
Holy shit, I didn't know there was customization lol
Holy shiiit, you & me both. This freaking game.

Resogun is fantastic. Excellent as a score-hunting game - like Nex Machine, plenty of layers to add up points - with ample challenge on higher difficulties and there are several interesting side modes that were added as DLC over time.

Alienation is still a fun shooter, but it falls flat as a loot game. Nowhere near enough variables to keep this sort of hook appealing enough nor did it receive much in the way of DLC (unlike Resogun and SSHD) to keep things fresh. The setting is also drab, since they played all the clichés straight rather than going for the campy route à la Helldivers or Renegade Ops. Enjoyed it more than Dead Nation on PS3 however, which by the way had a shoddy PS4 port.

Super Stardust HD is also worth looking into, though if possible buy it on the PS3. PS4 version is a fine enough port, but it suffers from readability issues (that weren't present originally) due to an outside studio handling said port.

zoodoo

This thread taught me that I could use secondary weapons multiple times. I reached the 3rd chapter never actually using them. I thought they were a one time thing and never bothered with them.

drotahorror

Does anyone know how long the Arena levels stick around? It looks like they are tied to a season, cuz if you go to your profile it shows what you've done for Season 1 Arena.

Lovin the game, the Arena is where I feel most comfortable. I'm not big on the arcade mode to be honest. Too hard for me.

Does anyone know how long the Arena levels stick around? It looks like they are tied to a season, cuz if you go to your profile it shows what you've done for Season 1 Arena.

Lovin the game, the Arena is where I feel most comfortable. I'm not big on the arcade mode to be honest. Too hard for me.
They haven't mentioned dates for that yet, if I recall correctly. I'm sure Housemarque will provide a head's up before the game starts a season rotation.

I grabbed this on steam last night (was $10 cheaper than PS4 and didn't need ps+ for bloody leaderboards so fk you Sony) and zomg it's amazing, it's like Resogun on crack glad to see housemarque knocked it out of the park again!

Their voxel engine is so badass too I love how the blocks ripple and shift into high detail objects

Top Bottom