• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

Any replayability besides higher scores? Do you earn levels or unlocks / progression?

There's a ton of customizable options for your character including bullet colours that you can buy using credits from beating arena mode levels.

I think there's also harder difficulties that get unlocked as you go cus some leaderboards only had 1 or 2 lol so I'm guessing it's damn near impossible to beat/get that far lol

Oh there's also hidden objectives and paths to find while you are playing and it all gets tallied at the end too

Any replayability besides higher scores? Do you earn levels or unlocks / progression?

You can unlock 2 other difficulties: Master and Hero. Master you get by beating Veteran. Hero (I assume if it's like Resogun) happens after you beat Master. You go straight into it. Whether you can actually choose Hero at the start, I'm not sure.

You have Arena. A list of challenges to go after. They may tell you to get the highest score in a world, or maybe play a level where everything is sped up. You can earn a bronze, silver or gold depending on how well you do. You also gain coins that let you customize your character in terms of outfit, bullet color and avatar. There's a level up system as well. Not sure how high it goes.

You can play each world separately if you wanted so you can practice and find all the secrets.

There's local co-op.

About 200+ feats aka achievements.

TSM

Beware of CPU requirements if you have an older CPU per Steam forums:

HMQ_Tech [developer] 6 hours ago
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We did a lot of work optimizing the engine for modern CPUs and unfortunately our target for "modern" may have been a little too aggressive.

Just to make it clear: the minimum specs are not in terms of performance but for instruction sets. In the current version the requirements are, for Intel: IVY BRIDGE microarchitecture or newer, and for AMD: BULLDOZER microarchitecture or newer.

If these requirements are not met the game will crash immediately when it tries to run optimized code.

We are looking into if we can lower the bar in a future patch, and how much.

The performance of the game is excellent. I'm getting over 200 fps at 1080p with a 5820k at 4.5 and a GTX 1080.

The only issue I'm having is that 50% of the time the game starts with geometry covering the arena and I have to restart until I can see the arena normally.

Tain

The only issue I'm having is that 50% of the time the game starts with geometry covering the arena and I have to restart until I can see the arena normally.

That makes three of us in this thread? Hope they get this sorted out soon.

Lettuce

Are resolution above 1080 supported on the PC version, have changed the res to 1440p but it still looks like 1080p??

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The rookie difficulty is almost doing this game a disservice. I played through it once to get my feet wet, and honestly was worried; the game felt a bit dull.

Experienced was a revelation; it wasn't just harder or more crowded, but all around better and more interesting patterns and wave designs, creating meaningful choices for sub weapon selection.

The bosses are better on experienced and up, but I do feel they're the weakest part of the game. They just lack a feeling of being immense or menacing. Nothing evokes the feeling of the giant bosses rezzing together in Resogun.

Wozman23

I'm always impressed with Housemarque's ability to design a game that immediately seem impossible, but allows you to slowly develop your skills to make the impossible achievable.

Resogun was similar. At launch I was happy to just beat arcade mode, and gave up hope at ever platinuming it. It wasn't until I went back earlier this year that I was able to persevere and get the platinum, which didn't even seem that tough.

In Nex Machina, with my first Arcade run, which I did on Experienced difficulty, I had some hiccups. Learning a few of the later bosses consumed a few continues and the last boss destroyed me. By the time I got to the last boss I had about 60 credits left, and he whittled them all the way down until I beat him with 9 left. Without all the moves in my repertoire, I had almost abandoned hope.

I immediately thought an Experienced 1CC run would be impossible.

But after some more time with Arena mode and a 1CC run of Rookie, I tried Experienced again... and somehow breezed through most of it! I got all the way to 6-7, used 3 quick continues trying to get back on my feet, and beat the boss on my first try (thanks to having upgrades).

A Experienced 1CC run has went from impossible to attainable in 24 hours. Hopefully the other seemingly impossible stuff starts to feel attainable after I slay Experienced.

Still, the game is very unforgiving if you use a continue. It's tough to go from having everything at your disposal and a max powered weapon, to having absolutely nothing.

dogen

I'm always impressed with Housemarque's ability to design a game that immediately seem impossible, but allows you to slowly develop your skills to make the impossible achievable.

Tbh, that's basically every decent bullet hell shooter.

WillySJ3

Banned
I haven't play on Rookie yet, but I feel Experienced is the way to go the first time, your skills will be pushed to the limits (if you ate an average player). I feel great when I reached the last boss with like 70+ continues, even though he wiped my ass and lost everything.

Wozman23

Tbh, that's basically every decent bullet hell shooter.

True. Maybe I should go back and try to beat Ikaruga on something other than easy, which was satisfying itself. Or try to S run Thumper. Both of those seemed even more insane.

Velocity and Velocity 2X do this well too in the SHMUP and platforming genres, as do most rhythm games, like Rock Band.

Oneself

After enough time with it, I'd say it is the best Housemarque game ever (and it's obviously among the best twin sticks shooters of all time). It's that good; the perfect mix between Super Stardust & Resogun.

Now let's see if Matterfall can top Outland ;)

I thought there was only 1 Secret Exit on World 6 but there are 3! My friend says on level 7, 10 & 13. Just an fyi.

Finished Veteran 1cc a few moments ago. Let's see how Master is!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So far I like the game a lot, but not more than SSDHD and Resogun. It actually reminds of both a lot, but the level structure boxing me in (which is not the case in the other two games) is not really to my liking. Or maybe it's just the similarities with those two games that I've played to death already, but I just can't see myself playing Nex as much.

Thanks, guys!

Master is no joke. When enemies die, they shoot out revenge bullets so even MORE shit to dodge, lol. Plus, you only get 5 continues.

Call me crazy, but I'm really liking Master because of the revenge bullets. Shoutout to Resogun for countless hours of dodging!

Bosses on Master are nasty. Right from the first phase, they throw shit at you. Take the first boss, for example. As soon as it starts, those flying heads are coming towards you AND you have that steady stream laser following you as well.

I totally underestimated the Dash Explosion. That and Triple Dash are great. Because of it, rocket launcher is my go to now. It was for bosses but I use it for the entire level now.

Streaming a bit of Master of anyone wants to see. Maybe for the next hour or so, unless I rage quit lol.

Www.twitch.tv/espanajefff

epmode

Did you play the beta? I had the exact same problem and I'm pretty sure it was caused by some kind of bug from a beta save file. I finally got around the issue by deleting my save file and forcing Steam to upload the new empty save file to Steam Cloud (so it wouldn't continually re-use the bugged save).

I'm not 100% sure that this is the cause of the problem but I haven't had it happen once since i did this. if you want to try it, this might help:

Tutorial on wiping Steam Cloud saves (I went with the "simpler way, but not as efficient"): https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...ck-way-to-delete-saves-off-of-the-steam-cloud
Nex Machina's game ID is 404540
If you have Windows 10, the local save files are located in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Nex Machina

Dinjoralo

Man, this game is fun... Not a lot of games can get me glued to the screen as shit gets tense, but Nex Machina delivers!
...Now for Resogun to hit PC so I can dodge shit there, too...

Finaika

That makes three of us in this thread? Hope they get this sorted out soon.

I have this annoying problem too.

Oh and the mouse cursor staying on the screen when I'm playing with a gamepad.

The Sword might be the "weakest" of the weapons but it's damn fun dashing into enemies and slicing them. Everything dies in one hit. Triple Dash is beautiful with this.

Curious to see if it makes a difference on bosses.

Why in Arena does it say "Deafeat your challenger to advance in UNKNOWN_STRING_ID! rank"? And my rank still showing as Rookie I Rank?

I have gold in almost half the arena stages and within top 150 of all of the ones ive completed so I feel like this ranking system is busted.

AllenShrz

Played a little yesterday, a single 980ti is not enough for 60fps at 4k, had to go back to 1440.

Other than that, fun game!

Jaroof

This game is a blast, and I love this studio. They never disappoint me.

Here's a close call I had. My friend lost his shit while he was watching me play.

I only played for a few hours, but I managed to get to #306 on the leaderboard. I'm gonna play more and try to get higher!

Getting more comfortable with the game: although I still need to include the majority of the collectibles and hidden stages in my run, I'm just a couple 100k shy from entering the top 10 in the Experienced Arcade leaderboards. Even got a 1CC run off of it too! I'll hop onto Veteran once I add those into my routine, 'cause even on Experienced (which is relatively lenient) there's a ton of information to process at a brisk pace. It's an exhilarating rush.

I'm doing worse at this game as I get better at it.

At first when it was basically just trying to survive I did quite well. Now that I'm going for combos, secret levels and high scores I'm dying a lot more.

I guess it might turn around again when I play more and get better.

Had a pretty good session last night, got to world 4 on rookie without losing a life, will seem utter cack in weeks and months to come but first time i got a real feel for the game. Love it.

One thing that i may not like is the amount of variables - beacons , disrupters, hidden humans etc. I got pretty obsessed with doing perfect runs on resogun, i don;t think you will be able to do that with this. Will have to see.

Found two secret levels for sure, i know how to trigger one , the other i did by accident. (They're on
1-6, and 1 -12
)

After enough time with it, I'd say it is the best Housemarque game ever (and it's obviously among the best twin sticks shooters of all time). It's that good; the perfect mix between Super Stardust & Resogun.

Now let's see if Matterfall can top Outland ;)

This, this so fucking much.

I mean the game is like fucking cocaine, you can't stop once you start playing. Went to sleep at 2 am trying to beat those scores in arena mode. (which I didn't lol)

One thing that i may not like is the amount of variables - beacons , disrupters, hidden humans etc. I got pretty obsessed with doing perfect runs on resogun, i don;t think you will be able to do that with this. Will have to see.
Opening all the hidden levels, destroying all the beacons, killing all the disruptors, chaining + saving all the humans (including secret ones) et cetera combined in a single run is in fact within the realm of feasibility. Just requires diligence and practice since it's a lot to take in all at once, much like Resogun's score maximizing.

Top Bottom