• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Man. Love love the game, can't stop playing it but at the same time finding that "art" direction really...off-putting, to put it mildly. Like, wtf is up with those characters ?

Brb starting a quick game.

ZeMMiK

Love it, and it is good but I still like Resogun too.

Sometimes I'm loosing sound effects and I do not like some graphics in later levels...seems some filters missing. I play it on PS4

I hope Housemarque will release 1 physical release with all there PS4 hits.
I do not want depended on PSN store after 20 years....

And if you like this kind of twinstickers, pls also try assault android cactus....it is on ps4 and PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muf59WtqIM

God, the human multiplier finally clicked with me

Never really played with it in mind before, finally tried it and it makes such a huge difference

My high score previously was like 26,000,000 getting to level 3. I just got 50,000,000+ on level 3

I've pretty much been beating my head against seeing how far I can get in experienced on one credit. Honestly can't say I care much to see the end if I'm not rackin up dem points

Got fucked over when I accidentally picked up a powershot in the world 2 bossfight. Ugh

JJShadow

Make sure you have a rocket launcher and fight her from across the map. This boss is super hard without power ups though. Took me like 20 tries the other day without powerups and just 1 try earlier with powerups when I got the 1CC. You'll get it, keep trying.

Thanks! It sure is brutal without powerups, and every time I picked up a secondary weapon right before battle her it was everything but a rocket launcher lol. On the positive side, I managed to reach world 3 boss without continuing on my first Experienced run, not bad I'd say!

Wozman23

Just got done with Experienced 1CC. Got there with 4 or 5 lives, but got a little lazy and a little unlucky and finished with one life left. Then
the Nex Machina boss killed me pretty quickly. Is there any way to get any practice in on that boss alone?

Started focusing on the dash mini-game, so those trophies are done. Narrowing them down.

I was trying to do a couple runs without collecting Humans, but it's basically second nature now so screw it up pretty quickly.

I guess the next step is to jump in Veteran.

MrS

Banned
Just got done with Experienced 1CC. Got there with 4 or 5 lives, but got a little lazy and a little unlucky and finished with one life left. Then
the Nex Machina boss killed me pretty quickly. Is there any way to get any practice in on that boss alone?

Started focusing on the dash mini-game, so those trophies are done. Narrowing them down.

I was trying to do a couple runs without collecting Humans, but it's basically second nature now so screw it up pretty quickly.

I guess the next step is to jump in Veteran.
No way to practise that boss, nope. She kicked my ass too

First 4 worlds are pretty easy on Veteran but it really ramps up from there. The Architect is super tough on Vet.

Man, this final boss (World 6) without Power ups is fucking impossible, had to give up after I don't know how many attempts :(

Any tips?

It's TOUGH without powerups. A rocket launcher really helps. That phase where the circular laser is locked onto you is the hardest phase. Hard to dodge if you don't have triple dash.

If you're lucky with the rocket launcher I THINK you can trigger the next phase without dying from it. Need to test that out.

Personally, I start over. Don't want to deal with the headache lol but there has to be a way. Like any shmup, there's a pattern. Just gotta figure it out.

I think I saw his name on the "recent players" on PSN Profiles the other day and he had just got the Platinum. Problem with that site is there are apparently a lot of bullshit trophy artists with hax so it's hard to just know who to believe.

He's legit.

First 4 worlds are pretty easy on Veteran but it really ramps up from there. The Architect is super tough on Vet.

For The Architect, I try to aim the rocket launcher between him and one of the enemies on the side. Because of the blast radius on impact, you can hit both. I can deal with the lasers but to deal with those and bullets can get a little overwhelming. What also plays into the difficulty is the tight space you're working with.

Agent X

Yesterday, while watching Hispanicguy's stream on Twitch, one of the other viewers asked if the sword would cut down the second boss's attacks. From my personal observations, it works on the bullets and the small skulls, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the large projectiles.

I actually managed to save all of the humans on the second world today!

While playing the third world, at one point I encountered some kind of glitch involving the sound. The background music continued as usual, but all of the sound effects dropped out, except for the voices (announcing powerups and such) which came through the DualShock 4's speaker. It's a shame, because the sound effects not only sound cool, but certain audio cues are vital to gameplay.

Yesterday, while watching Hispanicguy's stream on Twitch, one of the other viewers asked if the sword would cut down the second boss's attacks. From my personal observations, it works on the bullets and the small skulls, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the large projectiles.

I actually managed to save all of the humans on the second world today!

While playing the third world, at one point I encountered some kind of glitch involving the sound. The background music continued as usual, but all of the sound effects dropped out, except for the voices (announcing powerups and such) which came through the DualShock 4's speaker. It's a shame, because the sound effects not only sound cool, but certain audio cues are vital to gameplay.

Yea, that sound glitch is annoying. I feel at a disadvantage when this happens. It's happened on World 2 and World 6 for me. I'm sure they are fully aware of this.

Great job on saving all the humans! Keep at it :)

Just beat the World 6 boss on Experienced and Veteran with no powerups.

Here's a video of Veteran:

https://youtu.be/VsL_Q3BdZxM

On Experienced, I died once and on Veteran I died twice. Looking to beat it without dying, no powerups now.

One part I figured out. The part where that circular laser is on you and you need to dash the other lasers coming at you. What I'm having trouble with is after that part, where he darts toward you with that star laser that surrounds him. Gotta work on that next.

A little tip I just noticed: you know those flying canisters that appear in World 4? The ones who, when you kill them, they drop a circular laser? If you kill them with a Sword, they'll die but won't drop a laser!

Much love for sword dash <3

PepperedHam

Same, going to try rebuilding database, will report back

EDIT: rebuilt database, download seems to be working now
Yep that did it for me too, weird.

The arena challenge that speeds everything up... holy crap hahaha THAT IS INSANE, so fun though. It actually seems like a fun way to practice as when you go back to normal speed it all seems so slow lol.

JJShadow

It's TOUGH without powerups. A rocket launcher really helps. That phase where the circular laser is locked onto you is the hardest phase. Hard to dodge if you don't have triple dash.

If you're lucky with the rocket launcher I THINK you can trigger the next phase without dying from it. Need to test that out.

Personally, I start over. Don't want to deal with the headache lol but there has to be a way. Like any shmup, there's a pattern. Just gotta figure it out.

I'm really glad you also find it difficult and it's not only a problem of me just being fucking awful lol The phase with the circular laser is fucking crazy, and if that wasn't enough, then she dashes towards you with that huge, star-shaped laser of hell, still have to find a way to avoid that

I think I'll do some training in the arenas today to get a better understanding of the later worlds, yesterday I only focused on surviving and staying alive

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
While that is true in some cases, he has been a regular poster on the Housemarque discord, talking with the devs, participating in the beta etc. He's legit.

He's legit.

Quinntendo / Jimmyqballs is legit.

Id seen his videos, believed he got the Platinum, I just meant that it's difficult to determine who's legit on that PSN Profiles site. On one hand you can see on PSN that a trophy is Ultra Rare with 1.0% of people with the game achieving that yet on PSN Profiles that same trophy has a 4.5% attach rate.

Anyway, really tried to nail some Single Stage training today, man, just couldn't get in the zone at all. The harder I tried, the more stupid deaths I had. Probably won't get another go till Monday night.

Yep that did it for me too, weird.

The arena challenge that speeds everything up... holy crap hahaha THAT IS INSANE, so fun though. It actually seems like a fun way to practice as when you go back to normal speed it all seems so slow lol.

I love that challenge. I wish we could add our own modifiers.

I'm really glad you also find it difficult and it's not only a problem of me just being fucking awful lol The phase with the circular laser is fucking crazy, and if that wasn't enough, then she dashes towards you with that huge, star-shaped laser of hell, still have to find a way to avoid that

Don't know if you saw the video I posted above, but I figured out the timing for that circular laser phase.

It's the star shaped laser that I need to learn now. When he charges you, I think you can dash right through him to the other side.

I want to try a no powerup run on Experienced. If there's a powerup on the floor when you finish a stage, it will automatically go to you (same for any multiplier or extra life items). If I want to bypass this during a no powerup run, I need to leave an enemy alive and wait till it disappears. If I pick it up by accident, I'll have to kill myself to get rid of it.

This goes back to me wishing there were modifiers we can choose. Make the game 1.5x faster? No powerups available? Sword only? Gain your multiplier faster but you move slower?

Deft Beck

Hey, I suggest reporting it directly to the devs via Discord

They should be able to help you out with a fix/instructions pretty quickly. The game is definitely worth playing if you can get it to work.

Were you in the PC beta by any chance? There is a known issue relating to that.

Appears that I have an incompatible processor (Phenom II) and I can't run the game without upgrading my PC.

Might as well buy the PS4 version at this rate, and spend full asking price! Great.

MrS

Banned
Appears that I have an incompatible processor (Phenom II) and I can't run the game without upgrading my PC.

Might as well buy the PS4 version at this rate, and spend full asking price! Great.
Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, it looks beautiful on PS4 and plays great.

Adaren

Got this as a gift and I'm super hyped about it! I'm relatively trash at twin stick shooters (I can't aim...) but maybe this is my chance to get better!

How's the local multiplayer? Can you play through the campaign / main levels in coop?

JJShadow

I love that challenge. I wish we could add our own modifiers.

Don't know if you saw the video I posted above, but I figured out the timing for that circular laser phase.

It's the star shaped laser that I need to learn now. When he charges you, I think you can dash right through him to the other side.

I want to try a no powerup run on Experienced. If there's a powerup on the floor when you finish a stage, it will automatically go to you (same for any multiplier or extra life items). If I want to bypass this during a no powerup run, I need to leave an enemy alive and wait till it disappears. If I pick it up by accident, I'll have to kill myself to get rid of it.

This goes back to me wishing there were modifiers we can choose. Make the game 1.5x faster? No powerups available? Sword only? Gain your multiplier faster but you move slower?

Just checked your video, impressive stuff! I've actually managed to figure out the pattern for the circular laser thanks to it, it's actually much more "predictable" than I initially thought

Will give it another try this weekend

Miker

I don't know what the PS4 version looks like, but I can't imagine playing the PC version without some sharpening via SweetFX/Reshade. I'm not usually very sensitive to blur-heavy AA solutions like FXAA, but Nex Machina's blur is obnoxious.

hawk2025

For boss 6, I'm pretty sure the hexagon laser around your character is harmless even as it closes in on you, at least on Experienced.

MrS

Banned
For boss 6, I'm pretty sure the circular laser around your character is harmless even as it closes in on you, at least on Experienced.
I think it's there for psychological reasons, isn't it? To fill the screen up and make you panic. Worked on me a few times, that's for sure.

God, the human multiplier finally clicked with me

Never really played with it in mind before, finally tried it and it makes such a huge difference

My high score previously was like 26,000,000 getting to level 3. I just got 50,000,000+ on level 3

I've pretty much been beating my head against seeing how far I can get in experienced on one credit. Honestly can't say I care much to see the end if I'm not rackin up dem points

Got fucked over when I accidentally picked up a powershot in the world 2 bossfight. Ugh
Would you elaborate, please? I'm finding the lack of any kind of a manual in Nex Machina to be really off-putting. For example, I had to search the web to find out that currency can only be earned in Arena. Something like that shouldn't be so obtuse.

Though, having said that, I am having a blast with my surface-level playtime right now. I really want to learn how to master the game, but I just don't think there's enough info via trial-and-error to complete the picture.

Drewfonse

This is the kind of game that exposes aging reflexes, badly. I cannot get past the World 3 Boss on the second easiest difficulty in Arcade. Maybe I should practice inv World Mode. Fuck.

JJShadow

I think it's there for psychological reasons, isn't it? To fill the screen up and make you panic. Worked on me a few times, that's for sure.

This happened to me a few times as well. Whenever the hexagonal laser was locked around me, the circle laser she fires automatically dissapeared from my field of vision, it was like one of these optical illusions lol

MrS

Banned
This happened to me a few times as well. Whenever the hexagonal laser was locked around me, the circle laser she fires automatically dissapeared from my field of vision, it was like one of these optical illusions lol
Yeah, it's mad. It becomes less of an issue when you have triple dash because I felt like I had more leeway and freedom to move. Hawk is right with what he said about how the laser would work in 2player mode. I'd never even considered that.

WillySJ3

Banned
This is the kind of game that exposes aging reflexes, badly. I cannot get past the World 3 Boss on the second easiest difficulty in Arcade. Maybe I should practice inv World Mode. Fuck.
You'll get better, just keep trying. I lost my touch after the beta ended, I needed a few bad runs to be in shape again.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an auto save or manual save system in the game or once you finish all your lives and continues, you start over from the beginning? Thanks.

Would you elaborate, please? I'm finding the lack of any kind of a manual in Nex Machina to be really off-putting. For example, I had to search the web to find out that currency can only be earned in Arena. Something like that shouldn't be so obtuse.

Though, having said that, I am having a blast with my surface-level playtime right now. I really want to learn how to master the game, but I just don't think there's enough info via trial-and-error to complete the picture.
So, my first instinct is to just rescue humans as fast as possible and then deal with enemies. However:

There is a human multiplier, where every time you pick up a human, a bar ticks down until you lose your multiplier. So you basically want to pick up one at a time and hold off as long as possible before collecting the next human. As soon as your bar gets yellow/flashing and close to a sliver you grab the next

The goal is to basically drag out the human combo as long as possible for entire levels and carry them over to the next. As your combo stacks higher it raises your score by a considerable amount

From world 1 I'd recommended trying to start stacking humans from level 3. Grab it right at the end and carry it forward from there

If you're confused just watch a replay of some high scores on the leaderboard and you'll see what I mean.

It's a much harder way to play than just blasting through levels, but it's worth it if you care about scores

I did not know this was out already!

I remember seeing footage of their "E3 Booth", which was a dude in the hallway with a laptop and a PS4 controller.

They should have given this more time for word to spread around. I didn't even see reviews yet.

Definitely buying it tonight, though.

How are you guys spending your credits? Customization or unlocking new arenas?
Customization

Though honestly I haven't spent much time in Arena, I'd rather just play arcade most of the time

I bought red bullets and regretted it, went back to the default blue. There's enough red on the screen as it is, lol

Just to add to what he said (and correct me if my math is wrong lol), for humans, I think you get 1000 points for each one. After your 10th human (and if you still have a chain going) each one you pick up after that is 10,000 points. That's why you need to stick with the combo if you want higher scores.

If your multiplier is at 20x and your combo is still going, you're getting 200,000 points added to your score for each human!

Top Bottom