• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Dragon Age Gamescom first look

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

"Go behind-the-scenes at BioWare and meet some of the passionate developers creating the next Dragon Age.
Get a glimpse at new environments and characters as the team discusses how they are approaching the development of this epic fantasy RPG."

jholbq.png
jhoMde.png
jhoFtK.png
jhoPbc.png

jhojGH.png

More concept art:
jhoStA.png
jhoNz1.png
jhoLia.png

jhoEii.png
jhoivx.png
jhoIk1.png
jhoZHc.png
jhogXK.png
jhotrZ.png
jhoRNm.png
jhomNb.png
jho3i7.png
jhoKLF.png

In engine preview (from the trailer, poor quality):

jhooax.png
jhoD6H.png
jhopa3.png
jhoO60.png

jhonPQ.png
jhoHlD.png
jhoe4M.png
jhoYMk.png

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I agree with him though. This industry isn't centered around the Sony hardware. It's hardware in general. They don't care about the platform, they just want to release a good game.
My point had nothing to do with sony hardware though? I simply used it as an example. Sony Xbox its all the same. And no they just don't 'want to release a good game'. Were you living under a rock? Do you know Bioware's reputation now?

Gp1

Time to up that topic about the narrative director saying that their game will be political and will celebrate diversity, "its about create a caring and better place"...

A real good and memorable game, like the first one, no one wants to make...

Last edited:

Hudo

I know that big software projects are a fucking nightmare but how fucked up is the project management of the Edmonton team if vague teasers is all they have to show after all of those years of development?

GreyHand23

You know this isn’t a PS5 event right? The whole world doesn’t revolve around your preferred box

I wish it was a PS5 event because then it wouldn’t be this garbage. I am glad that a new Dragon Age will eventually be our though. I wish they were further along, but it’s nice that it’s only next gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bio fucking Ware you’ll get an incredible game it’s like you’re hoping for ME2 levels of greatness

Arkam

I was very excited... until I watched the video. I was expecting to see a game. Are they that far behind that they had to scrub the real teaser for this..... or did some marketing genius think that people would like this approach?

Madflavor

The fact that at this stage they still can't put out a teaser or any gameplay footage, speaks to development hell and that it's undergone more than one change. This is following the same pattern as Andromeda and Anthem. I don't know if anyone remembers, but there was a 2 year period where everytime BioWare said they were finally going to show off Andromeda, they just ended up showing behind the scenes videos, even at E3. That's because the game went through change after change and development was going terribly. It was the same for anthem too.

We've known for a while now but BioWare have some serious management issues. If this game doesn't work out I could see it finally being the final nail in the coffin. I don't possibly see how they could recover. Most of their talent is gone, and management is obviously unfocused, irresponsible, and disorganized. Where's Jon Taffer when you need him?

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I will give them a shot but my expectations are in check. I don't think I will be able to do day 1 no matter what as I learned my lesson with Mass Effect Andromeda (never again).

EDMIX

I was very excited... until I watched the video. I was expecting to see a game. Are they that far behind that they had to scrub the real teaser for this..... or did some marketing genius think that people would like this approach?

They are holding their cards close. I think it makes sense as they still want to remind people that the game is being worked on and I don't see what harm it would do. So even if I didn't see much on this video, I see nothing regarding God Of War 2018's sequel, it doesn't mean I'm not going to buy the game as I don't really buy that people are making their choice to buy a game or not based on such reveals. So they might simply want to remind folks the game is being worked on and save the full reveal for a later date. Nothing is wrong with that.

I also don't see how this could point to anything being ahead or behind as game development doesn't really have some set time frame for anyone to really know such a thing. We first heard about this title officially ending of 2018, with it only coming out on next gen (to my understanding), it still being a ways off isn't really shocking.

ripeavocado

Banned
if you game is not next-gen, don't focus the attention on it.

Have you seen anything impressive in the few seconds shown? I haven't.

CamHostage

The fact that at this stage they still can't put out a teaser or any gameplay footage, speaks to development hell and that it's undergone more than one change...

Oh, they did put out a teaser - almost two years ago.

It's a little shocking that they had almost nothing to show for it all this time later, but it probably went into redevelopment with all the mess going on over there. Pretty tragic, I had hoped this was much further along but EA can seemingly do no right this whole generation (at least SW JFO got out alive) and Bioware has been a sad example of that. Still crossing my fingers that there's a coming light at the end of all this darkness...

Last edited:
Bioware's track record is without proper words to explain and this will indeed follow there unbelievable trend of memorable images and moments we have all come to expect of them.

Looking forward to the fallout of this game.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Really enjoyed 1st one. Was such a breath of fresh air. 3rd wasn't bad, especially if you include all the DLC, great fan service. But gameplay wise it was a giant step back to a more mmo like grindfest. I hope 4 will come closer to the original. Maybe they will chase dat Witcher money.

P.S. part 2 isn't canon , Hawk is dead. All hail OG Hero and his one true love. Blood magic will rule the world mwahahah

P60Rk1R.jpg

There's no way we will get another cool character like Morrigan in Dragon Age ever again. Bah.

EDMIX

DAI was released in 2014 and this is what they show us after 6 years? get the fuck outta here with this bullshit

and it's still in early production so it's 2022 atleast, fucking 8 years to release DA game

tumblr_ljido9jn8Q1qdv8m9.gif

Huh? I don't think they've been working on it that long as thats like saying Kingdom Hearts 3 took 14 years to make or something.....

So yea, it will take 8 years to release such a title as the development team doesn't exclusively just make Dragon Age.....

The Bioware I'd trust to make a good game doesn't exist anymore.

I expect this to be badly written, feature barren, busy work filled drek, that obnoxiously parades far left, insane and off putting religious dogma, then wonders why 90% of their audience don't think that's better to include than competent writing and game design.

Garnox

Not here to slam the developers looks that are working on them. I don't care what you look like, as long as you are dedicated to providing the best possible product.

With that said, Hyperbertha is right. I do believe their point is being missed.

Jason Schreier did some good coverage over the development hell of this game. Starting out as a ambitious followup to Inquisition, and turning into a microtransaction filled GaaS, going completely against what made DA great.

When they brought Hudson back, ME3 ending be damned, I had high hopes he could correct the management issue there at BW. I have high hopes still as I really enjoyed the DA series.

Here's hoping they can somehow recapture some of what made the BioWare games of old again.

(I said some!)

Top Bottom