• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Dragon Age Gamescom first look

TheAssist

Who is doing the marketing for EA Bioware these days?

That studio hasnt had a universally appraised game since Mass Effect 2. ME3 was still good but got the first major backlash.
Dragon Age Inquisition was mediocre at best, though it had some good aspects about it. ME Andromeda was simply shit and we dont need to talk about Anthem.
The studio has gotten so much criticism over the past few years. So what does marketing decide?
Hey lets show a game thats YEARS away from release and let devs say how awesome it is at bioware and that they always try to deliver bigger and better things. Lets not mention that we failed at that for the past decade.

What they should do is shut up and work silently on their next game. And when its almost ready and actually good, then you go out and show it to the world and blow peoples minds yet again. Show them that you have returned, that things have changed. You've come back from the dead. Everyone likes a good redemption story.

Alternatively, make it Dragon Age: Star Wars, because clearly EA hasnt made enough games and tie ins with that license. Call it an "EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE" while you're at it.

oagboghi2

I have less and less desire to read this forum when it's full of losers banging on shallow culture war shit in every other thread.
Resetera is thataway 👉

Who is doing the marketing for EA Bioware these days?

That studio hasnt had a universally appraised game since Mass Effect 2. ME3 was still good but got the first major backlash.
Dragon Age Inquisition was mediocre at best, though it had some good aspects about it. ME Andromeda was simply shit and we dont need to talk about Anthem.
The studio has gotten so much criticism over the past few years. So what does marketing decide?
Hey lets show a game thats YEARS away from release and let devs say how awesome it is at bioware and that they always try to deliver bigger and better things. Lets not mention that we failed at that for the past decade.

What they should do is shut up and work silently on their next game. And when its almost ready and actually good, then you go out and show it to the world and blow peoples minds yet again. Show them that you have returned, that things have changed. You've come back from the dead. Everyone likes a good redemption story.

Alternatively, make it Dragon Age: Star Wars, because clearly EA hasnt made enough games and tie ins with that license. Call it an "EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE" while you're at it.
What if what they have looks like crap.

Bioware isn't a quality developer anymore. They shouldn't be expected to deliver.

Last edited:

TheAssist

Resetera is thataway 👉

What if what they have looks like crap.

Bioware isn't a quality developer anymore. They shouldn't be expected to deliver.

I really dont think they have anything yet. If you have to show prototype stuff it means you are in pre production. They simply should not talk about this game at all. Its fine if bioware needs a few years to get back on track and develop an actual good game. Keep them out of the spotlight and let them return with new strenght.

But thats not the EA way. It costs way to much to not bring your IP's to the slaughter house.

Madflavor

Oh, they did put out a teaser - almost two years ago.

It's a little shocking that they had almost nothing to show for it all this time later, but it probably went into redevelopment with all the mess going on over there. Pretty tragic, I had hoped this was much further along but EA can seemingly do no right this whole generation (at least SW JFO got out alive) and Bioware has been a sad example of that. Still crossing my fingers that there's a coming light at the end of all this darkness...

Yeah that’s just par for the course with Bioware at this point.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
After Inquisition I have no love for the series.

In all seriousness, I'm going to approach this game with an open mind but my expectations are pretty low. Prime Bioware was a special developer and Dragon Age: Origins is one of my favorite games ever. I also really enjoyed DA2 despite its shortcomings. Inquisition was a big disappointment, as was ME: Andromeda and Anthem.

On the plus side Casey Hudson is back and he gave us some amazing games in the past. I just hope the writing doesn't go crazy woke and they give us complex characters with a well written story. Here's hoping for the best.

Relieved to see them confirm that the game will let me be a hero who visits various locations and interacts with NPCs. That's exactly the kind of information I watch trailers for. All doubts gone, I'm hyped as fuck now. Day one, baby!

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Lsj23XJ.jpg

Super excited for this game! That's the face of a man that will deliver an epic story! :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I was wondering how gay this game was going to be and now I have my answer. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

HE1NZ

Banned
All three shots of gameplay they've shown made it look like it will be a souls clone.

Last edited:

jakinov

The fact that at this stage they still can't put out a teaser or any gameplay footage, speaks to development hell and that it's undergone more than one change. This is following the same pattern as Andromeda and Anthem. I don't know if anyone remembers, but there was a 2 year period where everytime BioWare said they were finally going to show off Andromeda, they just ended up showing behind the scenes videos, even at E3. That's because the game went through change after change and development was going terribly. It was the same for anthem too.

We've known for a while now but BioWare have some serious management issues. If this game doesn't work out I could see it finally being the final nail in the coffin. I don't possibly see how they could recover. Most of their talent is gone, and management is obviously unfocused, irresponsible, and disorganized. Where's Jon Taffer when you need him?
That's not really evidence of development hell. It's an increasing trend for companies to show gameplay close to when a game is actually coming out. Not years in advance when things can significantly change in direction or quality. It's a trend outside of gaming too. It also helps prevent people complaining about downgrades.

Dragon Age: Origins is still the best one. How evil you could be at times was really great and it felt like an old RPG game in many respects.
One of my favorite playthroughs was as the meanest, evil dwarf you've ever met. Really, making sure your freedom in choices feel as great as in the first game, while having varied environments, good storylines and some more typical RPG gameplay, would possibly redeem a new title.
Thinking about it, a lot of titles have evolved into worse dialogue choices. Dragon's Age and Fallout is at least two I can think of at the top of my head.

This video doesn't quiet my worries for a next title. I honestly think the less fantastical aspect was the what made Dragon Age: Origins so good. It honestly seemed shitty at first I started playing it, but all the RPG elements and the dreary world, made me really love it.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I really hope they go back to the roots and take inspiration from "Origins".

- DA 2 was too much hack and slay with invisible ninja enemie armies. It lost most of the tactical stuff.

It was just "First of all doe the fight.... look how many invisible enemies spawn, when they spawn and where they spawn.... then reload the game and plan your strategy"

- DA 3 was more like a boring light single player MMO with a lot of fetch quests and kill monster type quests. The only thing i liked was the moment when you took the step to become the leader of the Inquisition and had to rule like a king. The music and the video up to this moment really caught me. The rest was just.... well... nothing noteworthy.

UnNamed

Banned
Super excited for this game! That's the face of a man that will deliver an epic story! :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Comments like this are just too harsh, just because a blu haired man, which is basically a stereotype, is working on this title doesn't mean he is too woke or he's willing to make some stupid SJW propaganda within the game, or he's too liberal, or

We want to tell a story, what happens when you don't have power, what happens when people in charges are willing to address the issues [LEAD WRITER]

remake-i-am-legen.gif

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

I admit I've struggled to finish Inquisition. I don't think I have the energy to pick up Dragon Age series anymore.

Looks interesting. I’m really hoping they don’t do that, “you can’t progress through the next part of the game unless you finish these side quests and level up” crap again. I really didn’t like that about DA: Inquisition.

SinDelta

Much of Inquisition revolving around a mobile phone tier war table absolutely kills the pacing and structure of the game.

Many of the war table missions that you get short descriptions for would have been better then the actual missions in the game.

Ie, one example being a war table mission that encountered a Guardian like the one guarding the Urn of Sacred Ashes in Origins.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, what even is Bioware at this point? It bears next to no relationship to the studio that people used to like.

I think the game needs to be far enough along to show gameplay and substance before marketing like this. It just feels pointless. Isn't the Mass Effect remaster and Anthem Remake further along? Might have made sense the show one of those and hold of on Dragon Age marketing until 2021 or 2022.

80%% of the showcase was developers posing in "thoughtful" positions in the scenery......
That must have been directed by the same people that do the Microsoft conferences because they sure managed to take up quite some time with absolutely nothing to show.....

anothertech

All these years and we get concept art.

Give us what we really want. Show us the female faces so we can see if you learned your fucking lesson or if it's all still Andromeda level shit.

drganon

I've got no faith in this game or bioware. The last good thing they made was mass effect 2. Everything since then has been crap.

VFXVeteran

Banned
My point had nothing to do with sony hardware though? I simply used it as an example. Sony Xbox its all the same. And no they just don't 'want to release a good game'. Were you living under a rock? Do you know Bioware's reputation now?

Yes, I know their reputation which definitely gives credence to what I said. They DO want to make a good game so they get their reputation back.

AGRacing

What a mess. After Anthem I wouldn't show this to ANYONE until it was damn near finished and damn near perfect. Marketing have their heads up their ass but that seems to be the case almost everywhere today.

Teslerum

Comments like this are just too harsh, just because a blu haired man, which is basically a stereotype, is working on this title doesn't mean he is too woke or he's willing to make some stupid SJW propaganda within the game, or he's too liberal, or

remake-i-am-legen.gif

This is the same guy btw. that once said Jessica Alba's only worth as a human being is as a sex object.

This is the guy that wants to tell you about *issues*. Everytime.

Last edited:

remake-i-am-legen.gif

I totally laughed at this, but I honestly don't know if that's something to be so hesitant about.

I mean, come on, games from the 90's and early 2000 have had these sort of storylines before.

I'm pretty sure JRPG's even have used this story backdrop in their games.

The issue now is that the political environment in America (which freaking consumes everyone's mind apparently) is making it draw parallels with it.

Not saying Bioware won't go down the path we assume they won't, but to recoil in fear for every game with a story backdrop as this is a little too much.

Teslerum

I totally laughed at this, but I honestly don't know if that's something to be so hesitant about.

I mean, come on, games from the 90's and early 2000 have had these sort of storylines before.

I'm pretty sure JRPG's even have used this story backdrop in their games.

The issue now is that the political environment in America (which freaking consumes everyone's mind apparently) is making it draw parallels with it.

Not saying Bioware won't go down the path we assume they won't, but to recoil in fear for every game with a story backdrop as this is a little too much.

Uhm

Weekes retweeted it

Last edited:

....I fail to see what the twitter post has anything to do what I said?

I didn't say Bioware won't go down the path of making this an SJW - politically inspired - story, I just said that many games have used this type of story backdrop before and that it didn't try to push an agenda, but merely telling a story of those who suffer from those more powerful than them.

Pretty darn sure even Final Fantasy had that, I didn't come out of it going "man, this is totally about American politics."

Lanrutcon

When are they announcing

that you can play

a gender neutral lead

who can romance anyone

including Varric's crossbow

#bowlivesmatter

hyperbertha

Yes, I know their reputation which definitely gives credence to what I said. They DO want to make a good game so they get their reputation back.
A gaas apologist I see. Sorry but i don't buy it. THey don't want to make a better game, just a more successful one.

GymWolf

How exciting! Bunch of devs posing. Clearly what gamers buy ps5s for. Show us the game and if its gaas trash which we all know its probably going to be, might as well not show at all.
You talk like mediocre games or gaas don't sell a shitload of copies anyway...i mean inquisition won the fucking goty that year ffs :ROFLMAO:

Hudo

You talk like mediocre games or gaas don't sell a shitload of copies anyway...i mean inquisition won the fucking goty that year ffs :ROFLMAO:

Bloody hell, I remember this... I thought this was a bad fever dream, lol. But that actually happened. I am still baffled how all over the place the combat system was in that game. Like BioWare couldn't decide what kind of game they wanted to make so they decided to make the worst mixture of a tactical real-time actiony combat system they could. I hope they finally have figured out whether they want Dragon Age to be an action rpg or a tactical rpg.

Top Bottom