• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

For me so far it's

Gets > dc > forza. >>> the crew

Cars paint and look is quite better in gt and I definitely prefer the look and lighting a lot more in gts.

But I'd still rather have a new ms right now

nOoblet16

I thought the mirrors used SSR when you aren't on interior camera?
Far too small of a surface to be significant enough to have SSR, that too only when looked from the outside.
Not to mention you'll get inaccurate or no reflections the moment the camera starts going perpendicular to the mirror.

Far too small of a surface to be significant enough to have SSR, that too only when looked from the outside.
Not to mention you'll get inaccurate or no reflections the moment the camera starts going perpendicular to the mirror.

No. It's not even a "fall back to cubemap when ray miss" thing, they just always use the cubemap.

Interesting, I thought SSR was just "automatically" used on the mirrors since the car's body already has it. How do the cubemaps work to allow it to reflect other dynamic objects?

HTupolev

Interesting, I thought SSR was just "automatically" used on the mirrors since the car's body already has it. How do the cubemaps work to allow it to reflect other dynamic objects?
It's a realtime cubemap. A (simplified, in this case) render of the scene from a camera placed at the location of your car, created new each frame.

Noobcraft

The effect in Forza is what you would expect in a treated windshield with a rain repelent product. Isn't more realistic except in that condition:

https://youtu.be/ibW5JEEjwuI?t=97

Driveclub does simulate better what would be a real fluids interaction.
That actually makes me appreciate the Forza effect more, which looked decent but not as detailed as Driveclubs windshield rain.

The rain physics can look pretty great in Forza.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/17769589

Not really part of the face-off but I have a question since it's a new gen game.

Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo has some pretty nice materials and lighting on everything. I can't quite tell if it's using PBR, can anyone else tell just by looking at it? Here's an example:

mOvyPA.png

Can't tell if it's just PBR or high specular on everything combined with nice normal maps. It definitely has SSR (looking at the reflections in puddles, they disappear if the origin object is off screen) so PBR might not be too crazy.

Huh, this is new to me.

Forza's mirrors ARE actually real time when you're on exterior view, or at least they are on PC.
jyL5rwa.png

The AI cars are visible in your exterior-view mirrors in gameplay of course, it's just easier to get a picture of it in photomode.

le-seb

Huh, this is new to me.

Forza's mirrors ARE actually real time when you're on exterior view, or at least they are on PC.
jyL5rwa.png

The AI cars are visible in your exterior-view mirrors in gameplay of course, it's just easier to get a picture of it in photomode.
The perspective is bad, though.
Forza is clearly just using the same trick as many other games.

The perspective is bad, though.
Forza is clearly just using the same trick as many other games.

Oh I know that, but no game does it 100% right. I was just certain that Forza didn't use anything but cubemaps for exterior view mirrors so this came as a surprise.

I don't get it. It looks like a cubemap to me, hence the incorrect perspective.
Cubemaps generally change perspective when the camera moves from the car, these mirrors are essentially like picture in picture where they don't change regardless of how the camera sees them.

le-seb

Cubemaps generally change perspective when the camera moves from the car, these mirrors are essentially like picture in picture where they don't change regardless of how the camera sees them.
Huh? You seem to contradict yourself here.

My understanding of cubemaps is that the game will render a static point of view (looking straight behind the car), and use it for the mirrors whatever the perspective.
And I don't see anything in your picture hinting that FM is doing it differently.

Huh? You seem to contradict yourself here.

My understanding of cubemaps is that the game will render a static point of view (looking straight behind the car), and use it for the mirrors whatever the perspective.
And I don't see anything in your picture hinting that FM is doing it differently.

What I'm saying is that cubemaps will shift depending on your perspective of them, which is more like a "real" reflection even if they don't usually include dynamic objects. If you stand in front of a mirror and circle around it, what you see in the mirror will change because the light is bouncing at you - that's what I'm talking about.

If you walk around a TV screen in the same way your perspective doesn't change what you see in it because what it's displaying doesn't depend on your viewing angle. What I mean is that Forza's mirrors (as with pCARS, GT, and I assume Driveclub) are like that TV analogy. They provide a true dynamic "reflection" because they're essentially just picture-in-picture, but they're inaccurate because your angle doesn't change what they show like a real one would.

TL;DR: The way it does mirrors are better in one way (reflecting everything) but worse in another way (no perspective shifting). Cubemaps are worse in one way (usually static objects only) but better the other way (perspective/reflection angle)

M52B28

Banned
Forza 6 FOV is like trying to drive from the back seat.Terrible.
It doesn't look that bad, actually.

Think about it. When you're driving, you are able to see the bottom of the steering wheel if you're sitting in a normal seating position in the driver's seat. It doesn't look too unrealistic. The only thing that I wish is that the steering wheel in Forza were to have a bit more weight to its look.

Jamesways

Think about it. When you're driving, you are able to see the bottom of the steering wheel if you're sitting in a normal seating position in the driver's seat. It doesn't look too unrealistic. The only thing that I wish is that the steering wheel in Forza were to have a bit more weight to its look.

Forza desperately needs settings like pCARS to adjust the seat position. You can map them to any button combinations to do it on the fly.

It's a great feature more console games should employ.

Synth

If we were talking about a VR game then this reasoning would be sound. We're not though, and a TV screen generally represents a very small portion of what would be visible in real life, and attempting to force too much into it just makes you seem further away.

Pretty funny that you could sort of set your FOV in Forza 4 but not in the newer games. Some cars are fine but most aren't.

Wasn't that just using the multimonitor settings to pretend you had 3 monitors and as a result it would increase the FOV? It's a bit more of a workaround than proper support so the fact that it's gone isn't huge.

FH3 is the best looking racing game period. So beautiful.

Agreed. I still can't figure out what they've changed on the cars that makes it look so right this time. People are saying something about cloud reflections, did the cars not reflect the clouds in FH2?

ironcreed

Banned
FH3 might be the best looking 60fps open world racer though.

Yeah, it has even more of an advantage on PC.

Assuming it's still running 4xMSAA 30fps on the console version it'll still be the console IQ king, but running at 4k60 with all of the settings ramped up will be nothing short of magical.

xam3l

Agreed. I still can't figure out what they've changed on the cars that makes it look so right this time. People are saying something about cloud reflections, did the cars not reflect the clouds in FH2?

It's the licence plates. Really. Just that make the cars look more palpable.

It's the licence plates. Really. Just that make the cars look more palpable.

Those are a great touch, especially being customisable, but I meant the actual lighting on the cars. It's way more natural this time around, probably the best I've seen in a game yet.

xam3l

Those are a great touch, especially being customisable, but I meant the actual lighting on the cars. It's way more natural this time around, probably the best I've seen in a game yet.

I read somewhere that they literally scanned the australian sky for day and night. That and improved lightning to match the skyboxes must make a big diference when compared with FH2. And I agree, its looks waay more natural this time.

I read somewhere that they literally scanned the australian skyboxes for day and night. That and improved lightning to match the skyboxes must make a big diference when compared with FH2. And I agree, its looks waay more natural this time.

Yeah, that was on the reveal, something about scanning with 12k HDR cameras or something like that.

And tell me about it, that sunset during the gameplay reveal looked beautiful. It looks like everything goes red when it's raining and the sun goes down which is amazing.

Top Bottom