• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Space_nut

A mix of FH3 Gameplay and Photomode shots from the Xbox One.

I love how the light bleeds through the HotWheels tracks.
bf63316d-8c6d-4bef-91jhx5i.png

617319a0-3055-46b5-a7q9bzl.png

f3cc18a5-1906-4933-8fs7xgt.png

7abed849-511b-4760-87q0bwd.png

6369cf6b-0b4b-430f-9dhsbt3.png

29a177f7-5b4c-493b-8d99le4.png

It looks this good on Xbox One, I can't wait to see Scorpio running this on my HDTV

Hux1ey

Banned
It doesn't though? That's kinda the point of photomode (and why it should never, ever be used for graphical comparisons).

The Ferrari ones are gameplay, you can tell by the aliasing. The intense motion blur helps hide it a bit though.

Hux1ey

Banned
Photomode and gameplay look exactly the same on my gaming PC 😂😂😛.

Mine too, I can't believe 5k runs at a pretty consistent 30fps on a 1060. Not quite maxed out mind you. The patch did wonders FPS wise, just not micro-stutter wise.

Synth

Photomode and gameplay look exactly the same on my gaming PC 😂😂😛.

As it does on mine (absolutely no other racing game is fucking with FH3 on PC right now imo). On my Xbox One though, whilst still looking great, it clearly doesn't look like the photomode shots.

the new maniaplanet 4 update seems to have broken the old sgssaa codes that use to work in trackmania 2. anyone here know how to get it working again? the IQ is really bad and dsr isnt great

It's a funny coincidence that you posted these, because I was just thinking recently that TM2 was ridiculously ahead of its time in terms of lighting, but it's been very overlooked. The only real let down is the asset quality, which can easily be fixed if you use real car models.

Sequiel

Banned
Yea, I've been thinking this as well... I've seen his gifs for a variety of games, and without fail they make the games look fucking ridiculous in a way that is completely unlike the game comes across in any other form (even including other gifs). I don't get how the fuck he does it tbh.

I guess is mainly talent on staging, commitment on repetition and extreme cherrypicking.
He should be an "Awesomeness advisor" for racing devs. :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's a funny coincidence that you posted these, because I was just thinking recently that TM2 was ridiculously ahead of its time in terms of lighting, but it's been very overlooked. The only real let down is the asset quality, which can easily be fixed if you use real car models.

Yup, VERY ahead of its time in terms of lighting. It's up there with GT in my opinion. That's why I posted these because TM2, especially now with the little graphical updates, looks absolutely fucking phenomenal and needs more love!

Yup, VERY ahead of its time in terms of lighting. It's up there with GT in my opinion. That's why I posted these because TM2, especially now with the little graphical updates, looks absolutely fucking phenomenal and needs more love!
Wait, what did they update and when?

DD

Can we add Dirt 2 to that list? =B

12840_20170513201416_buucm.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wait, what did they update and when?

a couple days ago they updated Maniaplanet to 4, and tweaked various things like the graphics, handling and UI. Also Lagoon is included now.

a couple days ago they updated Maniaplanet to 4, and tweaked various things like the graphics, handling and UI. Also Lagoon is included now.

Now I wish I waited longer to return to TM2, about two weeks ago I came back and completed all the campaigns, now this fancy shit is out and I have nothing to do :p

Gestault

Something that consistently bugged me playing/seeing Driveclub (it's a nitpick) is how thick they made the utility lines to hide the aliasing issue after the beta. It's a good workaround for the IQ they're working with, but they're so ridiculously thick that I always notice it.

I love this siding texture, for some reason

And the degraded reflection in the window is awesome. Great night shots.

Sebmugi

Thx Gestault I always find new reflections in this game .. I love it ;)

The new circuits planned version VR on less textured textures, but they are well work nevertheless for the standard version

JlNX

In Forza 6, the way the wind can kick up water behind the cars on deeper puddles still catches my eye.

I haven't played FM6 in awhile, I had forgotten how good their rain tech is and it only makes me more excited for FM7 if the digital foundry image is any indication of dynamic weather and time of day. I wonder if like the rain tech they will go all out on their dynamic weather system, could blizzard mountain be testing for snow?

Gestault

I haven't played FM6 in awhile, I had forgotten how good their rain tech is and it only makes me more excited for FM7 if the digital foundry image is any indication of dynamic weather and time of day. I wonder if like the rain tech they will go all out on their dynamic weather system, could blizzard mountain be testing for snow?

This'll probably get me lynched around here, but seeing how well the precip was handled in FM6, I'd actually be ok with a static system in FM7, assuming it has the attention to detail they managed on tracks like Virginia and Sebring (while maintaining the performance lock). Not just the pooling, but they had areas with different wind dynamics and sort of misty zones (turns 14-16/Roller Coaster on VIR, especially) compared to heavier rain elsewhere.

This'll probably get me lynched around here, but seeing how well the precip was handled in FM6, I'd actually be ok with a static system in FM7, assuming it has the attention to detail they managed on tracks like Virginia and Sebring (while maintaining the performance lock). Not just the pooling, but they had areas with different wind dynamics and sort of misty zones (turns 14-16/Roller Coaster on VIR, especially) compared to heavier rain elsewhere.

I agree with this, but I think part of it is down to the fact that I feel like doing this stuff would be harder in a dynamic system. For example FH3 never had any puddle build-up, and it simply had some manually placed puddles around the map. I dunno if dynamic puddles is something feasible or not, so I'd be okay with static again one more time.

JlNX

Static would definetly allow them to do more, I can understand why some people don't care about dynamic weather because the average race is over a short time period so the changes would have to be fast and dramatic for some people. Static I would be fine with, especailly if it allows for Snow tracks and Ice on the corners or maybe even fog. I think a good trade off would be to have as you progress around the track there is different set static types of weather, you could have them make sense in context. For example a track that starts up high on a snowy mountain in france that proceeds down to sunny open mountain track were it starts to rain, the rain would stop as you get into a town. Finishing by going through a forest trail covered in fog, this track set up allows for snow, puddles and fog to be baked in at different positions of the track which obviously has benefits in terms of performance and how far they can push each of these aspects. They could offer different positions for each weather event on the tracks or even a simple editor were you change each quarter of the track. I don't know if dynamic time of day would have any meaningful effect on performance, I guess it depends on what lighting system they want to use going forward with FM7 as I hope they can use FH3's DTOD tech.

willbsn13

My expectations for F7 are way to damn high as of lately, i need to calm my shit

Same. Can't wait to see what Turn 10 have been up to for the past 2 years.

Quotes like these get me very excited!

"Since those first two days we've actually shaved out a couple of milliseconds because we need more time, we want to bring more features into the game and importantly we want to bring them into the game in both versions," Tector reveals - and it'll be interesting to see whatthey do with that additional GPU time in the next Forza. "Having that level of detail there lets us pull off optimisations that only a first party is going to do and usually they only do them for the one console they're working on. And now the two of them are so similar and so compatible, we can apply optimisations over here that are going to benefit Xbox One. We can actually bring features to both versions we might have not have been able to

He explains how the technology and new features each team introduces becomes iterated upon, altered or just taken wholesale for the next team's title.

Top Bottom