• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

He's done the same thing you have and listed faults in the game blaming them on sacrifices to 4K and now you're saying this.

You really can't make this shit up hahah.

No space nut made poor and incorrect excuses for FM's poor foliage by saying GTS also has "many" sacrifices, when in reality the only difference is one having a dynamic lighting system and the other not.

leeh

I thought DF said it is not ”trully dynamic TOD and weather".

At least on XB1 review.
Well yeah, but that's not the point, the point is it uses more resource and that resource has to come from somewhere else.

That somewhere else looks to be the trees lol

Big enough to result in such bad foliage and other graphical effects.....debatable.
No, or we'd see better effects and foliage wouldn't we.

Space_nut

I thought DF said it is not “trully dynamic TOD and weather”.

At least on XB1 review.

There's not much player control to pick settings but they are dynamic

When playing in Day settings, it actually randomly picks a time of Day every time you race. It's not the same lighting every time you load up a track. Same with weather.

I'm thinking T10 will add options to pick weather/TOD more freely then letting the game randomly pick it for you

leeh

When playing in Day settings, it actually randomly picks a time of Day every time you race. It's not the same lighting every time you load up a track. Same with weather.

I'm thinking T10 will add options to pick weather/TOD more freely then letting the game randomly pick it for you
I love how people absolutely ragged on Forza 5 & 6 for having baked lighting and said it was due to how low power and rubbish the X1 was.

Now Forza has it and GTS doesn't, it doesn't use much power and doesn't result in much at all really.

Don't you love this place?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Speaking of trees, i saw a WRC 7 video the other day and it had some very good looking ones among the regular, crappy trees you see in racing games.

Indeed:
ss_2f84cbc4ca27d8f6439bd4b1c5cb087c937d7714.jpg

if it's not bullshot.

Superfrog

No, it's what you get for pushing 1080/60 on the X1 and having dynamic TOD and weather.

1X has nothing to do with this at all.
This. Also, 24-car grids.

Still, having to use 2D bitmap trees in the immediate vicinity of the tracks is embarrassing (no matter if it's Forza or GT). I thought we went past that point in the last generation. Heck, even on the OG Xbox most of the great racing titles had fully modeled trees. Even Forza 1(!) to 4 already had them. Here's a video showcasing the evolution of the Maple Valley track from FM1 to FM4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhHDNaD7kg

FM1 looked fantastic considering the hardware limitations.

Synth

I love how people absolutely ragged on Forza 5 & 6 for having baked lighting and said it was due to how low power and rubbish the X1 was.

Now Forza has it and GTS doesn't, it doesn't use much power and doesn't result in much at all really.

Now it's definitely the resolution that's doing it. Ignore that the resolution is unchanged on the base version, and that sacrifices more... let's not get too logical here.

Gestault

I only have maybe an hour or two of play-time with Forza 7, but I can say 100% sure that some trees are 3D. I was looking at palms on a few tracks last night watching a replay (they looked really nice). That said, Maple Valley is weirdly billboard-town, and the color saturation/detail scale is really bad on track foliage there. It stands out among other tracks in a bad way.

If I'm any indication, some sort of hitch at some of the third-party file-sharing services (like xboxdvr) has made sharing media more effort than usual, otherwise I could pull something up.

leeh

This. Also, 24-car grids.

Still, having to use 2D bitmap trees in the immediate vicinity of the tracks is embarrassing (no matter if it's Forza or GT). I thought we went past that point in the last generation. Heck, even on the OG Xbox most of the great racing titles had fully modeled trees. Even Forza 1(!) to 4 already had them. Here's a video showcasing the evolution of the Maple Valley track from FM1 to FM4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhHDNaD7kg

FM1 looked fantastic considering the hardware limitations.

Now it's definitely the resolution that's doing it. Ignore that the resolution is unchanged on the base version, and that sacrifices more... let's not get too logical here.
I'll be honest, I just think someone artistically did goof on the trees in Maple Valley and tbh, in general.

The remastered track has a weird look to it compared to what I remember.

Space_nut

Well you have to remember there's so many assets that had to be created. I'm sure if T10 radically reduced the amount of tracks like gts they couple spend more time improving it but a few tracks are expected to not have as much detail as say Dubai

Which by the way Dubai looks extremely better than the reused tracks in FM6

Space_nut

I only have maybe an hour or two of play-time with Forza 7, but I can say 100% sure that some trees are 3D. I was looking at palms on a few tracks last night watching a replay (they looked really nice). That said, Maple Valley is weirdly billboard-town, and the color saturation/detail scale is really bad on track foliage there. It stands out among other tracks in a bad way.

If I'm any indication, some sort of hitch at some of the third-party file-sharing services (like xboxdvr) has made sharing media more effort than usual, otherwise I could pull something up.

Could you post some trees :)

bud

what forza has over gran turismo is that it runs at a higher resolution and that it looks cleaner, but other than that, gran turismo easily is the better looking game, overall.

curious to see how both base versions stack up against each other. we'll find that out next week, i suppose.

Space_nut

what forza has over gran turismo is that it runs at a higher resolution and that it looks cleaner, but other than that, gran turismo easily is the better looking game, overall.

curious to see how both base versions stack up against each other. we'll find that out next week, i suppose.

Forget base versions

Let's show Xbox One X vs pro

The 4k assets will be the best way to show FM7 on the system and whatever pro does for gts

ethomaz

Banned

So it is like GTS.

Difference from GT5... in GT5 you can stay 24 hours in the same place to see the sunrise, the noon, sun falling, night, etc... and the weather changing dynamically... it could rain or not... etc.

Forza 7 has the same “dynamic” TOD and Weather as GTS. Neither has the dynamic TOD and Weather as GT5.

I love this place because people crushed GTS to having the same “dynamic” TOD/Weather than Forza 7 while Forza 7 get praised for it “dynamic” TOD/Weather.

PR words working again and people believed lol

If Forza 7 is considered lacking in graphics then gaming is in an absolutely incredible place. It may have the occasional bad spot but overall the game looks incredible.

zedge

Speaking of trees, i saw a WRC 7 video the other day and it had some very good looking ones among the regular, crappy trees you see in racing games.
I have been playing the pc version for a couple of weeks. It is the best rally game in some time. The tracks are so good. The console version is 30 fps unfortunately but it still looks and plays great. Will likely double dip.

leeh

Forza 7 has the same “dynamic” TOD and Weather as GTS.

Neither has the dynamic TOD and Weather as GT5.
What do you even mean by this cause I've seen the sky do some weird and wonderful things so far in FM7. Seems fully dynamic to me, especially with the light around sunset.

The only thing which isn't dynamic seems to be the pacing of it, but that seems artistic.

ethomaz

Banned
What do you even mean by this cause I've seen the sky do some weird and wonderful things so far in FM7. Seems fully dynamic to me, especially with the light around sunset.

The only thing which isn't dynamic seems to be the pacing of it, but that seems artistic.
I mean...

You choose some option to rain and it will thought the race like it happens in GTS.

That is not dynamic... it is nothing being simulated to possible rain or the time passing like in real life.

That is a smart way to use backed weather and TOD.

So it is like GTS.

Difference from GT5... in GT5 you can stay 24 hours in the same place to see the sunrise, the noon, sun falling, night, etc... and the weather changing dynamically... it could rain or not... etc.

From everything we've heard so far, GTS' time of day and weather (if it even has weather at this point) is entirely static.

Forza 7's rain can start and stop in the middle of a race and in free play you can even set the probability. The time of day isn't on a full 24 hour cycle, but rainy races will progress to slightly later in the day, and some night races will either go evening > night or night > dawn. That's certainly dynamic by my standards.

You choose some option to rain and it will thought the race like it happens in GTS.

Incorrect.

Space_nut

So it is like GTS.

Forza 7 has the same “dynamic” TOD and Weather as GTS. Neither has the dynamic TOD and Weather as GT5.

I love this place because people crushed GTS to having the same “dynamic” TOD/Weather than Forza 7 while Forza 7 get praised for it “dynamic” TOD/Weather.

PR words working again and people believed lol

GTS is not the same as FM7.

Weather and TOD in FM7 is dynamic and randomly selected in each race. I can race from night to day in FM7. It can rain in the start or end of a race in FM7.

Is there even a video of weather in gts? lmao even if it had weather it would be like FM6 where it doesnt change at all from the reports of it

So no it's not anything like FM7 but nice try bud

cooldawn

Are we acting as if any other game doesn't have shit trees? Lol anyone can go find certain track ugliest parts. How many tracks does gts has? Do we have weather shown for gts yet?
It's been a running joke for years in Gran Turismo. Why does it not matter now, in a generation where it probably shouldn't happen at all?

Might I add, many PC sims still have 2D trees. Personally, I couldn't give a damn about trackside trees.

Static prebaked lighting
No TOD changes
No weather
Significant Less cars
Significant less tracks
And dips to 50fps on base console
Static pre-baked lighting? Are you sure?

No ToD changes? Are you sure?

No Weather. So far, yep. Rain tyres were an option in the BETA so might be added later (or be a surprise for release, but I doubt it).

Significantly less cars/tracks, although true, have nothing to do with technical proficiency.

In a lot of cases that would be true. But not on this particular track where the trees where pretty much its entire focus, and the different colors always drew your attention to them. Even in motion these looks awful and stand out. Elements of the track that aren't trees look fine... but the trees are kinda everywhere.
If you're concentrating on trees in a racing game, your playing it wrong.

Are you sure it's all dynamic? Sound like it's pre-defined. Full dynamics are not pre-defined and users would be able to access the settings i.e. there is no real-time simulation like in Driveclub, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, Forza Horizon etc...

I very much doubt you'll ever get to tinker with environmental settings in Forza Motorsport 7 because it doesn't seem as complete as they would like you to believe. Just a hunch, more than anything.

Space_nut

It's been a running joke for years in Gran Turismo. Why does it not matter now, in a generation where it probably shouldn't happen at all?

Might I add, many PC sims still have 2D trees. Personally, I couldn't give a damn about trackside trees.

Static pre-baked lighting? Are you sure?

No ToD changes? Are you sure?

No Weather. So far, yep. Rain tyres were an option in the BETA so might be added later (or be a surprise for release, but I doubt it).

Significantly less cars/tracks, although true, have nothing to do with technical proficiency.

Are you sure it's all dynamic? Sound like it's pre-defined. Full dynamics are not pre-defined and users would be able to access the settings.

I very much doubt you'll ever get to tinker with environmental settings in Forza Motorsport 7 because it doesn't seems as complete as they would like you to believe. Just a hunch, more than anything.

It is. When playing a track using the "Day" setting it's not the same lighting every time. It's like the engine picks a random time in the day to have the race on. Same with weather

Having users manually select the changes probably wasn't tested fully which is why they didnt allow it in the options but races are using random times/weather

Being able to manually change conditions doesn't make a engine system dynamic or not. It's just having the user control to change it instead of the game randomly pick condtions which is still dynamic in game

Again i wouldn't be surprised in a later update they give full control in free race for conditions

Synth

Of course I'm not "concentrating on the trees" whilst I'm racing... but that doesn't mean I won't notice them.

Why do we even bother with anything but the asphalt and rumble strips?

Also, the dictionary definitions for dynamic and static dictate that both Forza's ToD and weather are dynamic. I'm not even sure how this is an argument.

ethomaz

Banned
Also, the dictionary definitions for dynamic and static dictate that both Forza's ToD and weather are dynamic. I'm not even sure how this is an argument.
Because after the PR we expected dynamic weather/tod like pCARs, GT5, GT6, etc where the game simulate the weather/tod all the time using race/track/atmospheric conditions... simulating real life.

Not pre-defined “dynamic” weather/tod like Forza 7, GTS, etc.

Synth

Because after the PR we expected dynamic weather/tod like pCARs, GT5, GT6, etc where the game simulate the weather/tod all the time using race/track/atmospheric conditions... simulating real life.

Not pre-defined “dynamic” weather/tod like Forza 7, GTS, etc.

You expectations (and apparent misunderstandings) aren't a reason to reinvent the meaning of words.

Forza's ToD and weather conditions change dynamically throughout the course of a race. You keep lumping Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo Sport together as though they are equivalent. Unless I'm mistaken, with GTS you're saying you select the ToD prior to beginning the race, and those conditions don't change during the course of the race, right? That's then not dynamic as the conditions during the race would be completely static. This is the same as how Forza Motorsport 6 doesn't have dynamic ToD or weather, despite having night racing and rain.

ethomaz

Banned
You expectations (and apparent misunderstandings) aren't a reason to reinvent the meaning of words.

Forza's ToD and weather conditions change dynamically throughout the course of a race. You keep lumping Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo Sport together as though they are equivalent. Unless I'm mistaken, with GTS you're saying you select the ToD prior to beginning the race, and those conditions don't change during the course of the race, right? That's then not dynamic as the conditions during the race would be completely static. This is the same as how Forza Motorsport 6 doesn't have dynamic ToD or weather, despite having night racing and rain.
In GTS you choose rain in the menu and sometime during the race it happens... I mean when it happens is random but it is predefined... not simulated.

thelastword

Banned
I'd love to know why a single glitched texture makes you think Forza suffers from any tearing, and the fact that you seem to act like 60FPS makes a game worse is even funnier.
It's a tear now isn't it? Glitched or bugged...OTOH, If you think I'm actually speaking against 60fps, you must be insane.

My point is simple...Lots of sacrifice had to be made on XB1 to get semi-dynamic weather at 1080p 60fps and by extension.....4k at the same refresh on XBONEX....If you think you won't see similar trees, textures or sacrifices on XBONEX...or lower framerate on reflections, mirrors etc...or that all graphical sliders will be positioned right on XBONEX, I think you will be disappointed or mistaken, as that's already proven not to be the case....

Gestault

It's a tear now isn't it? Glitched or bugged...OTOH, If you think I'm actually speaking against 60fps, you must be insane.

My point is simple...Lots of sacrifice had to be made on XB1 to get semi-dynamic weather at 1080p 60fps and by extension.....4k at the same refresh on XBONEX....If you think you won't see similar trees, textures or sacrifices on XBONEX...or lower framerate on reflections, mirrors etc...or that all graphical sliders will be positioned right on XBONEX, I think you will be disappointed or mistaken, as that's already proven not to be the case....

Do you actually not know the difference between screen-tearing and misaligned asset tiles? You're talking about this in a performance context, which is why I ask.

I mean...

That is not dynamic... it is nothing being simulated to possible rain or the time passing like in real life.

That is a smart way to use backed weather and TOD.

Uh, you can choose it to rain.. and have the weather completely change to a sunny/partly cloudy day where the rain stops during the race. It's dynamic in that it changes over the course of time. It's not REAL TIME... but that's besides the point. The weather can go through many different phases during the race along with the TOD changing as well.

It can feel quite dynamic while you're racing along the track.. having the entire mood of the race change along with it. It's great. GT Sport doesn't have anything like that.

It's a tear now isn't it?

Technically yes, but a "tear" 99% of the time means the entire screen has a tear in it because of a non-VSynced frame. A split in a tree from a sprite bug is not really a "tear". I dunno why I'm bothering explaining this to you since you'll probably just twist it to Forza's detriment, but that's what it is.

Synth

In GTS you choose rain in the menu and sometime during the race it happens... I mean when it happens is random but it is predefined... not simulated.

If it goes from dry to raining during the course of the race, then that would be dynamic weather. I don't even know what predefined yet random rain is supposed to be. What sort of simulation are you expecting?

Also, this is actually the first I've actually heard of rain actually being in GTS beyond a menu item.

Apex

Thats just some pictures that swap in the background. Light adapts with a slow transition everytime a picture changes.

Does the sun moves and track or car shadows change orientation in Forza?

ethomaz

Banned
If it goes from dry to raining during the course of the race, then that would be dynamic weather. I don't even know what predefined yet random rain is supposed to be. What sort of simulation are you expecting?

Also, this is actually the first I've actually heard of rain actually being in GTS beyond a menu item.
Previous Forza games changed ToD during the race too but that was baked not dynamic.

Play GT5, GT6 or pCARs 2 to see what means dynamic.

Even the Forza 7 demo had the weather change during the race. You did play it, didn't you?

https://youtu.be/wS4eYKME_tU?t=191
That doesn’t means it is dynamic lol

magawolaz

hmm, we don't know that yet. Actually we have no evidence of rain being in the game other than rain tires being the beta and other various builds (even up until TGS)

ethomaz

Banned
hmm, we don't know that yet. Actually we have no evidence of rain being in the game other than rain tires being the beta and other various builds (even up until TGS)
You have the Rain option in Arcade Mode at Beta... Dirt and Snow too.

The weather can be set on a percentage, so you can leave it up to RNG whether or not it even rains. If that's not dynamic then what is?
Maybe there a confusion here.

Why Eurogamer did say that it is “trully dynamic” like pCARs or previous GTS? Because there is not weather/tod simulations...it is pre-defined and randomly used during the race.

pCARs 2 has dynamic weather/tod as GT5/GT6... these games has what is called dynamic weather/ToD.

Previous Forza had you racing at afternoon to night with the sun falling... that was not dynamic ToD... it was baked and used during the race.

leeh

Thats just some pictures that swap in the background. Light adapts with a slow transition everytime a picture changes.

Does the sun moves and track or car shadows change orientation in Forza?
Not 100% but I'll be online shortly and will keep an eye out for this.

Top Bottom