• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

rofif

Banned
Seems to m that gt7 got better looking cars details and natural cars lighting.
While Forza got better looking tracks details.
Pavement is similar in both.

Also, wish comparisons used the more dynamic camera type in gt7. Default one looks so stiff.
So hard to say which is better. Forza got weird washed out looks sometimes but I bet it looks great in HDR

BigLee74

It’s not a next gen racing graphics face off thread without Bunta getting a stiffy over GT. I knew you were on you’re way, the shadow of your mighty erection was like the harbinger of doom 😂

(GT7 looked better in the last comparison, but that’s the first time I’ve been able to say that so far in all comparisons made)

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member

Also, wish comparisons used the more dynamic camera type in gt7. Default one looks so stiff.
So hard to say which is better. Forza got weird washed out looks sometimes but I bet it looks great in HDR
90% of YouTube footage of GT7 uses that awful default camera. It's nuts to me people are fine with it. The first thing I did in GT7 was change that shit. Though I still wish it swayed even further ala GT3

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I made a comparison for that track also 3 days ago, well time to post it. It is very hard to get the lighting 1 on 1 on this track because the sun position is different, even tho the tod is the same. But i got it the closest it could get. Also it seems that they captured the track at different seasons.

31.jpg

37.jpg

36.jpg

35.jpg

34.jpg

32.jpg

Turk1993

GT7 looks much better here. In cockpit view you can see how badly modelled FM is, lots of polygon edges everywhere.
The interior is definitely better looking in GT7 in that Viper, the lower polygons in Forza and the better shaders in GT7 puts GT7 ahead in the interior. But the exterior is better in Forza, it has more polygons and its the full lod vs lower lod in GT7. interior view for both games is a bit back and forth. Sometimes cars have more polygons in Forza in the interior and sometimes GT7 car have more polygons in the interior. But if had to choose which one has better cockpit detail and shaders overall, i would give slight edge to GT7. Its closer than ever but GT7 still takes it for me. The exterior is still superior in Forza because of the use of higher lod during gameplay.

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

yeah its few clicks away, it makes it look and play soo much better.
His capture is washed out, lots of people have problems with there captures. The game is really not that washed out, there are problems with the brightness setting in this game. They need to fix this shit asap, the game has soo many bugs. Stupid T10 should have not released the game in this state.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The interior is definitely better looking in GT7 in that Viper, the lower polygons in Forza and the better shaders in GT7 puts GT7 ahead in the interior. But the exterior is better in Forza, it has more polygons and its the full lod vs lower lod in GT7. interior view for both games is a bit back and forth. Sometimes cars have more polygons in Forza in the interior and sometimes GT7 car have more polygons in the interior. But if had to choose which one has better cockpit detail and shaders overall, i would give slight edge to GT7. Its closer than ever but GT7 still takes it for me. The exterior is still superior in Forza because of the use of higher lod during gameplay.

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

His capture is washed out, lots of people have problems with there captures. The game is really not that washed out, there are problems with the brightness setting in this game. They need to fix this shit asap, the game has soo many bugs. Stupid T10 should have not released the game in this state.
In those shots Forza exterior does look pretty high poly and higher than GT. Weirdly enough in the video doesn't seem that way.

Edit: the photo showing the front of the car has more details in GT, it's missing the cobra logo in Forza, the glass in the headlights look dull and the front grid looks completely black.

Last edited:

Turk1993

In those shots Forza exterior does look pretty high poly and higher than GT. Weirdly enough in the video doesn't seem that way.

Edit: the photo showing the front of the car has more details in GT, it's missing the cobra logo in Forza, the glass in the headlights look dull and the front grid looks completely black.
Lighting angle and youtube compression.

Connxtion

Looking at this video GT looks much more natural also in rainy conditions in my opinion

Forza is bugged, changing between render modes causes the gamma issue & also the removal of rain effects.

I noticed when I first booted the game and I was switching between Per RT and Performance the gamma was buggered & also the rain effects on screen vanished. Had to exit the game and restart the Xbox to fix it.

Now it looks a lot better and all the rain effects are present.

Turk1993

Forza is bugged, changing between render modes causes the gamma issue & also the removal of rain effects.

I noticed when I first booted the game and I was switching between Per RT and Performance the gamma was buggered & also the rain effects on screen vanished. Had to exit the game and restart the Xbox to fix it.

Now it looks a lot better and all the rain effects are present.
In that vidoe it is also bugged, you can see that in the interior in rainy night spa that its grey instead of black and the colors are off .Also he is playing in performance mode i think cuz there is zero RT in that footage. And he could choose the same track, weather and tod on both which he didn't, so its not a good comparison tbh.

Connxtion

In that vidoe it is also bugged, you can see that in the interior in rainy night spa that its grey instead of black and the colors are off .Also he is playing in performance mode i think cuz there is zero RT in that footage. And he could choose the same track, weather and tod on both which he didn't, so its not a good comparison tbh.
Yeah I could see that, should be black black and it washed out looking.

Here is another bug I got, went into settings and pressed B to quick and couldn’t select anything 😑😂 had to exit the race as that’s all I could do 🤷‍♂️

Turk1993

Here is another bug I got, went into settings and pressed B to quick and couldn’t select anything 😑😂 had to exit the race as that’s all I could do 🤷‍♂️

Pc or Xbox? If its pc you just need to move your mouse on one of the tabs and you are good to go.

Motogames tv uses the xs version while Turk pc ultra settings,maybe that's why the difference

Insane Metal

Gold Member

It's a shame, no matter how good the game is, it's plagued with bugs

FukuDaruma

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Damn, 'next-gen' only PC Max Ultra RTX whatever and in 2023 we still have vanishing fences?? 🤦🏻‍♀️

image.png

Turk1993

Damn, 'next-gen' only PC Max Ultra RTX whatever and in 2023 we still have vanishing fences?? 🤦🏻‍♀️

image.png
Yeah, the game is like a current gen game running on medium settings even maxed out on pc. The tech is there and it really shows, but there are things that shouldn't be in the pc version. Like the iq issues, draw distance, quarter rez rt reflections and some low rez shadows. Those are things that you would expect the pc version to fix by higher settings but nope. I really hope they patch those things because the game has some impressive graphics despite its downgrade and bugs.

Turk1993

Youtube compression? So those aren't your own shots?
Every shot i posted of the new FM are my shots. Insane Metal was saying that in Motogamestv video he didn't notice the better car model in Forza and that it looked different. I just replied on that that it could be because of the different lighting angle and the youtube compression.

Three

Every shot i posted of the new FM are my shots. Insane Metal was saying that in Motogamestv video he didn't notice the better car model in Forza and that it looked different. I just replied on that that it could be because of the different lighting angle and the youtube compression.
Oh I see, I thought you were saying youtube compression was why it was showing the grill like that and no logo on your own shots of the red viper.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Yes in other shots too like the interior I could notice the air vents are low poly count in Forza and chrome surrounding it looks like plastic instead. Some parts are good but some are bad as well. In the replay I was struggling to notice the brake callipers in Forza. It is also red but very very difficult to notice.

Last edited:

outsida

This is where I'm at with it as well. Forza is weird cause it will look amazing at certain angles and lighting then pretty bland at others.

FukuDaruma

Yeah, the game is like a current gen game running on medium settings even maxed out on pc. The tech is there and it really shows, but there are things that shouldn't be in the pc version. Like the iq issues, draw distance, quarter rez rt reflections and some low rez shadows. Those are things that you would expect the pc version to fix by higher settings but nope. I really hope they patch those things because the game has some impressive graphics despite its downgrade and bugs.

Also, I tried to use Reshade and it loads, but crashes to desktop quickly after. Can't even start any race. So that is the final nail in the coffin for me. No Reshade and no SuperDepth3D is a total NOPE for me in PC gaming.
Fuck Microsoft and Fuck Turn11. 6 years for this shit, all the lies with the massive downgrade, low limited content, bugs, half-assed features and just plain cut ones... and 'always online' for a fucking career.

532e1eb677a50.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, I tried to use Reshade and it loads, but crashes to desktop quickly after. Can't even start any race. So that is the final nail in the coffin for me. No Reshade and no SuperDepth3D is a total NOPE for me in PC gaming.
Fuck Microsoft and Fuck Turn11. 6 years for this shit, all the lies with the massive downgrade, low limited content, bugs, half-assed features and just plain cut ones... and 'always online' for a fucking career.

532e1eb677a50.jpeg

This is the anger we need more of from gamers today. I'm serious. We keep getting fucked in the ass from these companies and most gamers response is to defend them for it.

sinnergy

Made the plunge as BETA-tester, first 1,5 hours was splendid , no crashes on Series X, not all tracks look great. But Laguna Seca looks amazing .

Last edited:

SimTourist

I'm surprised FM is not pushing more detail because from their GDC talks historically the biggest issue has always been HDD streaming speed, the system needs to hold up streaming assets at 500+ km/h speeds, something that most other games don't have to deal with. You would think that moving to SSD baseline would've allowed more stuff to be displayed and less pop-in as well.

Turk1993

I'm surprised FM is not pushing more detail because from their GDC talks historically the biggest issue has always been HDD streaming speed, the system needs to hold up streaming assets at 500+ km/h speeds, something that most other games don't have to deal with. You would think that moving to SSD baseline would've allowed more stuff to be displayed and less pop-in as well.
It actually does a pretty good job tbh, its just random things like fences on some tracks that have those short draw distance and streaming issues.

Just check this clip of the Jesko on Lemans flying with 270mph on the straight. Just see how minimal the pop in is, you see it a bit here and there but its pretty good actually. This is on a straight with lots of trees and foliage which is harder to eliminate pop in.
2:31

It actually does a pretty good job tbh, its just random things like fences on some tracks that have those short draw distance and streaming issues.

Just check this clip of the Jesko on Lemans flying with 270mph on the straight. Just see how minimal the pop in is, you see it a bit here and there but its pretty good actually. This is on a straight with lots of trees and foliage which is harder to eliminate pop in.
2:31

How is it compared to other racers on this track and its predecessor?

Turk1993

DF going hard on T10 (deserved) about the downgrade and the cutout features on pc. They let them know that this shit doesn't pass. T10 will definitely see this and hopefully enable the full RT features back. Same shit happend with PG when they showed the RT during trailer as "in game". DF called them out and 2 months later we got the RT update.

Starts at 12:03

Turk1993

How is it compared to other racers on this track and its predecessor?
Roughly the same for FM7 but its all 2d trees vs 3d trees with more detailed objects and baked lighting and shadows vs dynamic lighting and shadows. GT7 is definitely worse even tho the trees are also 2d, the pop in happens in shorter distances.

Sebmugi

Well, what was supposed to happen happened.. I put my xsx in NZ mode to test a little in advance..And I don't even want to shoot the ambulance anymore...
playing pad ok it's not that unpleasant but then the rest omfg :eek:mg:As soon as we switch to photo mode and take a closer look it's a disaster...
GT7 is light years ahead in car modeling and material rendering, the quality of the RT is is the same.In short, excluding ms lately is just not possible.. :messenger_poop:

FukuDaruma

This is the anger we need more of from gamers today. I'm serious. We keep getting fucked in the ass from these companies and most gamers response is to defend them for it.
$100 to play on the (real) release date. Broken game with barebones content, full of bugs, massive downgrades in ALL elements and features and always online...

Reviewers and 'Content creators' awarded with review codes from M$: "Eeer... it is a good base, a solid foundation!"

uTbj2Ai.jpg

Very few people being honest about this shit:

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
DF going hard on T10 (deserved) about the downgrade and the cutout features on pc. They let them know that this shit doesn't pass. T10 will definitely see this and hopefully enable the full RT features back. Same shit happend with PG when they showed the RT during trailer as "in game". DF called them out and 2 months later we got the RT update.

Starts at 12:03

Why they didn’t go hard in their tech review of the game? Nobody is watching their stupid podcast. I’m sick and tired of them, they have one job…

I find the constant car movement in Forza a little irritating. The suspension doesn't strike me as that of a sportscar.
That's the new tyre physics at play there are many more points of contact now. Notice GT7 the car almost glides over the track (totally unrealistically) while FM the car reacts to all the undulations.

Top Bottom