• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Razorskin

----- ------
Nope. he's being replaced by Bremner. Long overdue tbh.

Bt2dtyT.jpg

DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Hopefully Sakic gets ROR locked up soon, he essentially said that training camp is the deadline, he doesn't want it to be a distraction in the season.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tear it all down. All of it. Scorched fucking earth! In Shanhan we trust!

Despite the roller coaster ride, the changes implemented since Shanny and Dubas came on have been good.

Most of our free agent signings more or less panned out except for Robidas.

Our prospects are doing well in the AHL and hopefully can make the jump.

As for our coaches, again, I do feel bad because Horachek was put in a position to lose. Spott was collateral damage though our PP was garbage and we gave up the most SH goals. St Croix deserves to lose his job after the pathetic goaltending.

This will really be Shanahan's Leafs now and while it will take awhile to get going, it seems a lot of the baggage is gone.

Phaneuf, Lupul, Kessel, and hopefully Bozak may be gone in the off season for picks and prospects. We'll rebuild smartly through the draft and through our development. I also like the tiers of development implemented by Dubas with the AHL and the ECHL and hope this pans out.

zroid

Banned
also, Robidas was pre-Dubas iirc

ever since Dubas and his crew came aboard, I can't really think of any missteps the organization has made

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
They were doing their job and likely weren't going to be doing very much til the draft anyways.

I don't know who they'll bring in (I'd gladly take the penalty for Timmins ;) but I'm glad there won't be many people there from the old era spouting old era bullshit)

If anything, we'll hopefully hire a bunch of scouts that can analyze prospects beyond just the eyeball and gut feeling tests. Though there are obviously people who are very good at it like Det/Ana/Mtl/Ott.

They'd better put that analytics muscle to work though; because I never really trusted the "fast, good hockey IQ, two way player, soft hands" bullshit anyways. It seems like all prospects were described this way so they need to go more in depth and really understand who they're picking and why so we don't get more Goats and Biggs

ZeroGravity

Wonder if the Leafs will try to snatch Julien Brisebois from us. If they don't, some other team probably will. I'd be shocked if he wasn't a GM in the next year or two.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wonder if the Leafs will try to snatch Julien Brisebois from us. If they don't, some other team probably will. I'd be shocked if he wasn't a GM in the next year or two.
Surprised someone hasn't taken him already considering he was in the running for our GM job along with Bergevin years ago.

Yawnier

Banned
So apparently the leafs only have around 6 scouts left, one of them Morrison. Probably not far fetched that most of the other 5 are european scouts like Bergman and Ihnacak. Will be interesting if George Armstrong was one of them let go but he is about 100 years old at this point so who knows

Draft table is going to be empty unless there a ton of hirings before late june.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wheres that article showcasing that if the leafs just followed the central scouting lists, they would have had better players than the ones their scouts picked.

Shanny should just go up there with a giant spreadsheet of the central scouting list and pick names off that.

zroid

Banned
ironically if they follow Central Scouting's rankings this year they'd probably end up with Crouse :lol :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cherry's going to be happy about the firings because they've been picking too many Euros.

I highly doubt the European scouts will change much if at all. They've been absolutely amazing compared to the NA scouts.

Biggs?! Gauthier?!

These are the types of players that should be drafted in the later rounds.

And if the Leafs choose Crouse, I will probably cry. How the fuck is a 6'4 230 lbs power forward that doesn't even have a PPG in the OHL rated so damn high?

Also Ted Nolan was just fired by the sabres

NEWS: #Sabres GM Tim Murray today announced Coach Ted Nolan has been relieved of his duties as head coach.

#Sabres Assistant Coach Danny Flynn has been relieved of his duties. The contracts of Bryan Trottier & Tom Coolen will not be renewed.

Goodbye everyone except Irbe.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kave learns to play hockey - final update

It's all over and unfortunately I don't come here with happy news. My team made it to the finals and we lost 1-0. First time we were shut out all year and first time we were so frustrated.

I'm just going to get my salt out of the way right now and yes I have no problem with any of you laughing at me being so salty over losing in beginner hockey but I'm so salty right now.

The other team knew they couldn't beat us straight up so they resorted to playing the trap all game. All credit to them their plan worked but I'm still salty about it. 1 light forechecker, 3 guys at the blue line and one guy in front of the net waiting to clear out anything we'd try to dump in. They capitalized on our one mistake all game and managed to score and just sat back for the remaining 1.5 periods after the goal.

I'm upset because I just couldn't do more to help my team, I wish I was better but dems the brakes we still had a fantastic season all in all, so that's all I'll say about that.

That said this whole experience has been absolutely amazing. After the game my teammates unanimously voted me most improved player and I'm just absolutely honoured they would do that. I worked really hard and looking back I can finally admit I really did improve much. I was a guy on day 1 of the season couldn't even make it through 15 minutes of practice to finishing tied for 4th overall in league scoring and second in assists.

I've found my niche despite being a shorter guy (5'8) I was one of the more solid guys down low. I discovered I am very strong on the puck behind the net, and I'm hard to move once I park my fat ass in front of the net.

The whole learning to play hockey thing was definitely helped out a ton by having such a great team and teammates who were very encouraging and would always give me advice when I asked for it. I know a couple people here got a bit interested in trying this out. Honestly give it a shot. I jumped into this knowing no one, having never played hockey in my life and I had a blast. I'm already looking towards tons of shinny in the summer and probably a few power skating classes as I really want to improve my skating.

So thank you everyone for humouring me and reading my updates and giving me the encouragement along the way, I really appreciated it. I definitely will be keeping up with it going forward.

Hockey is really one of the greatest sports in the entire world.

Yawnier

Banned
And if the Leafs choose Crouse, I will probably cry. How the fuck is a 6'4 230 lbs power forward that doesn't even have a PPG in the OHL rated so damn high?

Leafs aren't taking Crouse unless they trade down, or something really weird and he is still on the board. Taking Nylander last year and putting an emphasis on skilled players and high risk high reward players (Mark Hunter) goes almost completely against that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Or you could have our scouts and find talent in later rounds and over ripe them and not have to suck to get it?
The Illitch's treat their staff well; it's why there isn't a lot of turnover there. I'm pretty sure if other teams were able to go after the Wings' Euro scouts, they would.

I'm hoping our new scouts will be able to view prospects different and find those gems.

Wheres that article showcasing that if the leafs just followed the central scouting lists, they would have had better players than the ones their scouts picked.

Shanny should just go up there with a giant spreadsheet of the central scouting list and pick names off that.
Hindsight. And let's not forget that there have been a lot of busts as well. Vancouver turned it around last draft but they were guilty of this too.
22 scouts and you still pick Tyler Biggs.
5 points in the AHL this season.

Sens have 10 scouts in total.
I want to say that was mostly a Brian Burke pick. As a lot of our NA amateur scouts are going to get the can, I expect this to change.

Seriously, we just shitcanned a ton of our scouts for they advice they were giving before, I seriously cannot believe we would go down the Crouse path.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Look we're all worried about Crouse because we're all still used to the regimes of the past that would value that.

We all know they won't draft Crouse in the top 5 but deep in our bodies we hear someone yelling "truculence!"

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hopefully Berube is next to be canned.

Vinny traded or bought out.

Send RJ Umberger back to Columbus with loljk pinned to his jersey.

Unload Andrew MacDonald and his contract on some poor sucker.

Hopefully Berube is next to be canned.

Vinny traded or bought out.

Send RJ Umberger back to Columbus with loljk pinned to his jersey.

Unload Andrew MacDonald and his contract on some poor sucker.

all of this please.
rip to ted nolan
lets see if grapes' hockey gods quip last night comes true and buffalo loses mcdavid

It's all over and unfortunately I don't come here with happy news. My team made it to the finals and we lost 1-0. First time we were shut out all year and first time we were so frustrated.

I'm just going to get my salt out of the way right now and yes I have no problem with any of you laughing at me being so salty over losing in beginner hockey but I'm so salty right now.

The other team knew they couldn't beat us straight up so they resorted to playing the trap all game. All credit to them their plan worked but I'm still salty about it. 1 light forechecker, 3 guys at the blue line and one guy in front of the net waiting to clear out anything we'd try to dump in. They capitalized on our one mistake all game and managed to score and just sat back for the remaining 1.5 periods after the goal.

I'm upset because I just couldn't do more to help my team, I wish I was better but dems the brakes we still had a fantastic season all in all, so that's all I'll say about that.

That said this whole experience has been absolutely amazing. After the game my teammates unanimously voted me most improved player and I'm just absolutely honoured they would do that. I worked really hard and looking back I can finally admit I really did improve much. I was a guy on day 1 of the season couldn't even make it through 15 minutes of practice to finishing tied for 4th overall in league scoring and second in assists.

I've found my niche despite being a shorter guy (5'8) I was one of the more solid guys down low. I discovered I am very strong on the puck behind the net, and I'm hard to move once I park my fat ass in front of the net.

The whole learning to play hockey thing was definitely helped out a ton by having such a great team and teammates who were very encouraging and would always give me advice when I asked for it. I know a couple people here got a bit interested in trying this out. Honestly give it a shot. I jumped into this knowing no one, having never played hockey in my life and I had a blast. I'm already looking towards tons of shinny in the summer and probably a few power skating classes as I really want to improve my skating.

So thank you everyone for humouring me and reading my updates and giving me the encouragement along the way, I really appreciated it. I definitely will be keeping up with it going forward.

Aww, there's always next time Kave. It's sounds like you had fun.

Look on the bright side, you made it to the finals, that's way better than anything the Leafs have ever accomplished here.

Red_Man

GM Tim Murray reiterates that he didn't see Sabres as a 30th-place team and Ted Nolan may have been kept on with better finish, improvements
Murray is a piece of shit. You're seriously going to throw him under the bus after you did everything possible to be dead last? That's embarrassing.

Someone tell some jokes or something. It's dead in here.
If Zroid starts posting his junior posts in here, it will be just as active as the playoff thread

Murray is a piece of shit. You're seriously going to throw him under the bus after you did everything possible to be dead last? That's embarrassing.

Nolan wasn't Murray's choice as hc - he was hired early in the President Lafontaine Era - so it's not crazy to think that they had very different ideas about player development and the future of the club, or that Murray would want his own hc during the rebuild.

Red_Man

Nolan wasn't Murray's choice as hc - he was hired early in the President Lafontaine Era - so it's not crazy to think that they had very different ideas about player development and the future of the club, or that Murray would want his own hc during the rebuild.
I don't doubt that, but he's blatantly lying when he says it's a performance issue. Murray wanted the 30th pick and everyone knew it, and he's essentially throwing Nolan under the bus.

I don't doubt that, but he's blatantly lying when he says it's a performance issue. Murray wanted the 30th pick and everyone knew it, and he's essentially throwing Nolan under the bus.

The quotes from the press conference don't seem that bad to me:

“We decided to go with young guys in a rebuild and surround them with some high character veterans and we still finished in 30th place. There have been a lot of changes here and that’s on me.” Murray added, “I didn’t foresee us being a 30th place team, certainly after the trade deadline and trading out guys I had a big part in that and I own that, but up to the trade deadline I was open to keeping guys, I was open to maybe discussing contracts with guys that were coming due, but the place we were in was the place we were in.”

“I don’t think it was a bad fit, I don’t think it was a great fit, we both said after it’s too bad it didn’t work out, is it chemistry, maybe it’s just chemistry, maybe it’s just two different personalities, you need chemistry on the ice and you need chemistry off the ice and who’s to blame for that, he’s not to blame for that.” Murray added, “You have to find a perfect fit to be really successful and maybe it just wasn’t a perfect fit, that doesn’t make it bad, it just wasn’t a perfect fit.”

"I know this isn’t a popular thing, but to me it’s about getting better, I feel it was just an opportunity to improve and to keep the improvement going and that certainly is no disrespect to Ted.”

Top Bottom