• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) answers to sexual harassment allegations, leaves Polygon

LordKano

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/895771586996785152/photo/1
DG5rb0XUQAEhwz3.jpg

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/895771651681304577
(I'll also be taking a break from social media for a little bit longer, but I'll be reading your replies and taking them all to heart.)

UPDATE :

Orb

It's not my place to forgive, but I'm glad he took this to heart and is hopefully growing as a person. I'm glad he didnt take the shitty youtuber way of getting defensive and instead opened up, came clean, and apologized.

Though the 'sorry' part feels a bit brief, I think this is an okay response as far as 'written replies' goes. The only *real* response it to actually mean the things he wrote here and come out the other side a new person. If there is some way to make personal amends to the people he hurt, I hope he finds a way to do that, if they want it.

Edit: Having read some words from people with more information than me, they raise some important concerns about the language of the apology that seems to trivialize what really happened, to understate it. That's a bummer.

Mael

I didn't think I'd see the day I'd read a public apology and not feel like being taken for a ride.
Good apology, not in any way my place to accept it or not.
e:read the comments, also fuck the enablers that feels like nothing wrong was done.

higemaru

It's hard to recover from something like this, especially since his "flirting" was repeated, aggressive, and clearly rebuffed several times. It's an apology, he's not just saying they're lying, but I don't know if he recognizes exactly why people are pissed at him. He shouldn't be doing this shit regardless of if he's in a position of power or not. But if he can turn himself around/if he's actually willing to listen, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but he needs to work a little more for me to like him again.

Jace347

Neo Member
Honestly I think this is right from the heart and he really didn't realize how his power was manipulating the situation. I will continue to watch him and enjoy his content as long as he really is sorry and doesn't do this again.

Good apology. I hope he sticks to his word and works to better himself.
Yup. Everyone deserves a second chance. Although I'm sure there will be people here who still want him to be miserable... because they've never made mistakes.

Poster below me, shining bright like a star.

McDougles

Not once does he take responsibility for his actions, but instead takes a long-winded way of apologizing because, despite his feeling that he hadn't done anything wrong, he smartly listened to those saying he did.

"But the more I thought about it, the more I understood where other people were coming from."

It's an excellent PR spin of an apology, and I'm glad Polygon made the right move and fired him (even though he was one of the more enjoyable people on the site prior to his removal).

That's about as good apology as you can imagine.

Its a good start. I'd like to see him get some education on what he did, and become active in speaking about it and making sure others don't have to deal with what he put those people through.

He was a well known personality and still is, so now he can use his platform to promote the positive change he's seeking himself, and help others do the same.

Edit: I am a bit concerned about how much he leans in on his 'position', I'm not sure he completely understands that this is wrong regardless of whether you're a prominent games journalist or not.

T-Rex.

Banned
That's actually a nice apology. It makes a change from the usual "sorry if you were offended" apologies that mean fuck all.

NotLiquid

"I believe that when someone says you've hurt them or made them uncomfortable, the right thing to do is not to argue, it's to listen."

I don't know how to feel about Nick yet but I will give him this - in this generation of very vindictive, overly defensive people online, he understands what very few people put into similar kind of situations ever seem to do when it comes to owning up, and that is immensely commendable.

Sometimes all you need to do is just to dial down and listen.

I don't really like how he replaced 'harassment' with 'flirting' but it seems he's decently aware he has issues to sort out. Good luck.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm so used to people doubling down and offering non-apologies that I'm actually at a loss with how to react to what seems like a genuine apology.

georly

This is a great apology, but more important is what he does next and if his actions speak louder than his words. This apology comes at the same time the news of him leaving polygon - so it's up to him if this becomes an earnest apology or if this is just him saying what he thinks people want to hear to get back in their good graces now that he's unemployed.

He'll have to earn back everything he lost with his actions - but this is a good first step.

I'm so used to people doubling down and offering non-apologies that I'm actually at a loss with how to react to what seems like a genuine apology.

I'm incredibly pleased this is NOT a non-apology.

Edit: I hope this whole fiasco can be used for good as a way to get the word out that sexual harassment like this isn't cool. I hope nick can help raise awareness.

I'll be honest that's a pretry good and honest apology. It's also good he left Polygon.

Guy should take some time and do some growing as an individual before returning to journalism (if he goes that route). I don't approve of what he did but I think people can change and hope the best for him as long as he makes the required self improvements

jackal27

Banned
Glad he apologized and did it well. I genuinely hope he's headed in a better direction.

EDIT: As I've read it over a few times, I really wish he would have at least acknowledged the word harassment or said something about gross people this whole situation has brought out of the woodwork. Maybe it's not as genuine as it seemed the first time I read it. Here's hoping it is though.

dyergram

Tbh I'd never heard of this dude before this shit storm but that apology is admirable. I have lost respect for certain journalists through this,the people that said they had heard stuff about him and did nothing about it but took great pleasure in decrying him.

Syf

Banned
Reads like a guy who's sincerely sorry and not trying to hide or defend his actions. Good stuff.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
He's taking time to reflect, owned his unacceptable behavior, and his apology seems sincere.

Quite refreshing compared to many who double down and never strive to improve their character. For that, he earns my respect.

Hopefully when/if he returns to the scene he'll be a better individual because of this. This is a step in the right direction.

Even after his apology for "flirting," theres still some pretty gross stuff coming out on him from the gaming community that suggest far more than just flirting. He's a bad person.

I hope the women involved in this are getting some much needed support and hope Nick take some this very seriously time to reflect on his harmful behavior.

Looks and sounds good to me. I think ownership, responsibilities and being honest, sincere and genuine is a good start to a better future in any situation a person has wronged in. Just wish more people were like this.

joecanada

Hmm he seems pretty forthcoming and honest but one question I have is where he says " sliding into dm " a move more weighted when you're a public figure....

Isn't some of what he did actually inappropriate for anyone to do? Not just someone in a position of power? I didn't follow the story too closely but that part kind of stuck out to me.

Amneisac

Yeah, I mean I feel a little weird judging the sincerity of his apology since the whole thing has nothing to do with me, but it sounds like he's thinking about what happened and that's good.

bronson

I am a little worried that this whole situation came about because someone was very good at showing people wanted they wanted to see.

Ultimately though, I don't think this is my apology to accept, acknowledge or approve.

bluexy

Do folk mind if I ask them why they feel like this is a good apology? Accusations seemed pretty clear that what he was doing was inarguably harassment, but all Nick seems to be apologizing for here is aggressive flirting without realizing his position of power might confuse the situation. There doesn't seem to be any acknowledgment of harassment at all.

"I'm sorry for making you feel uncomfortable," does not seem a parallel apology to the accusations being made. Which is just to say that this entire situation doesn't feel appropriately concluded.

The part of this that makes me lean a bit towards sincerity is admitting that he felt defensive and confused at first. Still a long way to go towards making things right, but this first step doesn't feel like a stumble.

Good response.

I am a big fan of his, to be clear, and it was extremely saddening to learn about his behavior.

To say though, that I have always been the best to people or have never betrayed someone's trust, would be an awful lie. My personal undoings led me to be able to step away from the past and say "Hey, that wasn't me at all."

Of course, it was me, but not the me I thought I was. And I believe those experiences changed me. These changes, though took time. It will take time for the people he affected, his friends, and for him to truly see where everything ends up.

With the response he's gotten, most of it being deserved, he's no doubt had time to think and feels absolutely terrible. Not to also forget the fact that he not only hurt the people he did, but also the people who cared for him. His co-workers, his family, and fans all felt something from this.

The big thing for him to do now is own his words and truly change. I believe you can, Nick.

BiggNife

I'm glad he didn't go with the garbage "sorry you were offended" route, but actions speak louder than words and I genuinely hope that he follows through on his intention to be a better person. And honestly I wish he just outright said "harassment," it feels like he intentionally tiptoed around it.

Top Bottom