• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) answers to sexual harassment allegations, leaves Polygon

Nicky Ali

You know, on second thoughts I've come to the realisation that this really isn't our place to decide whether or not this is a good apology. This is purely up to the people he harassed.

Yeah I think just reducing what he's been shown to have done as just flirting is incredibly disingenuous

Wb6s000.jpg

CookTrain

This...it seems that people are looking for anyway to let him off the hook and feel good about watching/following him again.

Having no idea who the guy is outside of this blow up and having no intention of delving deeper into his content, it certainly feels like there's more than a fair share of those who will accept nothing less than... I don't know what, in contrition.

This was a decent swing at apologising, especially given he's already done the wrong and that can't be swept aside with an apology alone.

Goofalo

It is weird reading these comments how much nicer people are to Nick being separated from Polygon, as opposed to Arthur Gies choosing to leave to pursue art school.

Gaf gonna Gaf.

Sheiter

I think the position of power part is a focus because it is what allowed this to go on for as long as it has. Were he some random nobody, the women he contacted would feel much safer in simply ignoring, blocking, or telling Nick what he was saying and doing was wrong. I can imagine he simply didn't believe he was crossing any lines because nobody felt safe enough to tell him that he was, and if it all took place over twitter then that would explain how those closest to him had no idea. While it may not be the best apology in the world, he acknowledges that he was in the wrong and doesn't try to make excuses. I don't think any of these public persona apologies are going to go as far as people want simply because nobody really wants to talk bad about themselves in a public statement, as evidenced by all the non-apologies that have sprung up lately. The fact that this is an apology at all is a step up from we've been seeing lately.

killroy87

After looking at some of the reactions from people closer to the situation, I'm just gonna back off from this. It isn't my business, and I don't want to be clouded by what may or may not sound like a genuine apology. Just remember; we, the audience, know absolutely nothing about the details of this situation. So for us to gauge how sincere he is or isn't being is literally impossible.

molnizzle

Was going to say this.

Motherfucker, being high on the popularity/power ladder has nothing to do with this. You were a fucking creep who asked girls to send nudes. If you were some nobody and did the same thing you'd still be a creep.

It was scummy of him, but the position of power is what made it harassment. Without that position he was just a sleezebag.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a guy who hasn't been on the receiving end of powerful-creepers overstepping their bounds, so I'm not really in a position to say "that's an appropriate apology", but it seems earnest if nothing else. i hope he keeps listening and makes good over time. though i won't be there to see it.

I don't think any of these public persona apologies are going to go as far as people want simply because nobody really wants to talk bad about themselves in a public statement, as evidenced by all the non-apologies that have sprung up lately. The fact that this is an apology at all is a step up from we've been seeing lately.

Exactly. And any 100% unfiltered apologies should be aimed towards the people he harmed, not the world. And maybe he'll do that in private.

But this has obviously gone through a "PR filter". But that's how it is.

It sounds like he really reflected on his actions, but reflecting is only the very first part. It's seeing if he follows through down the line that's most important.

I'll give him credit enough for this: He admitted fault. Too many people in these circumstances either double down or blame game. It's a solid start. But it's just that, a start.

Exactly. And any 100% unfiltered apologies should be aimed towards the people he harmed, not the world. And maybe he'll do that in private.

But this obviously has obviously gone through a "PR filter". But that's how it is.

When you're in a public position you DO have to address the world. That's not to say that he shouldn't still contact the others in private.

In all honesty, it's just as important to do a public one anyways... These public apologies serve as a teaching tool for others who may take this as a means of reflection.

Mr. Sam

Again, it's a sincere apology - but the *reframing* is absolutely key. "I'm very sorry for the [ABSOLUTELY HARMLESS THING I DID]. I deeply apologise for [HAVING NO MALICIOUS INTENTIONS]. I can never make amends for [GIVING OUT FREE PUPPIES AND KITTENS AT THE OLD FOLKS HOME]."

DxD

Banned
i just find it hard to believe that his brother never offered him any advice on how to navigate fame & "groupies"

I googled his brother, and his brother is Porter Robinson?!
Dang, that dude is multi-talented and has achieved so much before he is even in his 20s.
I guess Nick will be fine if he asks to be a sound/video producer for Porter.

BTA

But this has obviously gone through a "PR filter". But that's how it is.

I get what you're saying, but when even your employer openly says you're being inspected for sexual harassment, even the "PR filtered" statement should probably say that instead of fucking "flirting".

That's such a refreshing apology compared to the shit we usually get from trash like Colin Moriarty. Definitely not my place to forgive or really comment if that's a sufficient apology for his victims. At the very least he sounds sincere.

Nishastra

Banned
It was scummy of him, but the position of power is what made it harassment. Without that position he was just a sleezebag.
No, it's not. It being harassment is what made it harassment. Him having power made it worse, but if some random guy starting slobbering and going "send nudes" in an otherwise normal conversation with one random girl, it would still be harassment.

Goofalo

When you see people in that industry "liking" some pretty strong language about either being satisfied with Nick's firing, or calling out how fake Nick's apology is, that's pretty telling.

I suppose he can work with the Google dude and Ian Miles Cheong now.

Squire

Banned
That's such a refreshing apology compared to the shit we usually get from trash like Colin Moriarty. Definitely not my place to forgive or really comment if that's a sufficient apology for his victims. At the very least he sounds sincere.

He makes it all about himself, replaces "hearassment" with "flirting"... Eh, to a more discerning eye? Not necessarily.

As the twitter thread linked above notes, manipulators should be met with healthy skepticism.

I really hope you never make a mistake.

"A mistake" implies one. This was a long pattern of behavior. You are, bluntly, incredibly naive if you think he didn't know what he was doing. Someone who has manipulated for years will do so to save their own career. The proof is in the pudding.

I hope this gives the people who were directly affected by this situation some resolution and I'm glad Vox and Polygon made the right decision here.

molnizzle

No, it's not. It being harassment is what made it harassment. Him having power made it worse, but if some random guy starting slobbering and going "send nudes" in an otherwise normal conversation with one random girl, it would still be harassment.

We never saw the convos where he asked for nudes so we don't really know if it went down like that.

In any case, asking for "nudes" whilst flirting is sleazy... but it's not harassment as long as dude immediately stops after being shut down. It's the repeated. unwanted advances that turn the shit into harassment. That or being in a position of power.

Was going to say this.

Motherfucker, being high on the popularity/power ladder has nothing to do with this. You were a fucking creep who asked girls to send nudes. If you were some nobody and did the same thing you'd still be a creep.
Yeah, there is no circumstance where what he did was acceptable and the fact the he focuses so much on his popularity shows that he doesn't really get why people were upset in the first place

I'm morbidly curious to see what he does after Polygon, but I'm more excited to see where Polygon's video content goes from here

Alucrid

Banned
We never saw the convos where he asked for nudes so we don't really know if it went down like that.

In any case, asking for "nudes" whilst flirting is sleazy... but it's not harassment as long as dude immediately stops after being shut down. It's the repeated. unwanted advances that turn the shit into harassment. That or being in a position of power.

but we did?

Top Bottom