• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

corin7

Neo Member
Yeah demo didn't disappoint. All the Nier amazingness with that platinum gameplay. Black box pre-order justified. Blown away.

Dominator

Live reactions from a person who's never played the first Nier:

Opening tutorial: "Oh shit this combat is fun as hell."

Opening boss: "Woah what the fuck is this game, its cool."

When game goes side scroller for the first time: "YO WHAT! I WASN'T EXPECTING THIS!"

When game goes top down for the first time: "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS AWESOME"

Get to what I think is final boss: "Still cool, but just double from the beginning"

Arms revert back and attach to sea platform boss: "OH FUCK"

Get into flying mech: "THIS IS SO DOPE HOW CAN THIS GET ANY BETTER!"

Detach bosses arm and beat the shit out of it with its own arm: "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED AND ITS JUST A DEMO!"

Best demo I've ever played, hands down. What a fucking rush of emotions I experienced, this game came out of nowhere for me.

Vex_

Banned
Did you play Nioh Alpha/Beta?

This. Holy shit if you guys think this is good. And i LOVE this demo too btw.

Anyways:

+Animations are some of the most convincing i have ever seen.
+I feel so empowered. I am so immersed that I feel like a thick thighed woman. I feel like a proud woman.
+The impact of the weapons. My mind is blown.
+That framerate. It FEELS good. My mind is blown.
+Dem graphics. The image quality is pretty damn good. My mind is blown.
+The hybrid combat. I have never played anything like this before.

Im getting old school ps2/dreamcast/n64 vibes from this game guys. Like ikaruga/megaman x series/starfox64/ONE(ps1 game) feels. I feel nostalgic even though this is my first time playing this game. This feels like the B tier has come back in full force. For reference, I hated metal gear rising (but slogged through it). I love this game tho.

Cyborg

Never played a game like this.

How is the story in general (if you consider previous games)?
How long does it take you to finish?

The original nier has my favorite story in gaming and it takes about, idk 25 hours. Ito zelda length if that helps better.

Part of the charm is usually some of the best stuff is after you "beat" the game. Nier had 4 endings, but once you hit new game plus you actually were at the best part of the game I only. But yeah all told like 25 hours at least for me.
Nier 1 is beloved solely for it's story and music. Not really loved for it's gameplay.
Mostly true although the original would usually try alot of weird things that kept it interesting, like the 2d stuff this new one has.

Cyborg

Nier 1 is beloved solely for it's story and music. Not really loved for it's gameplay.

The original nier has my favorite story in gaming and it takes about, idk 25 hours. Ito zelda length if that helps better.

Part of the charm is usually some of the best stuff is after you "beat" the game. Nier had 4 endings, but once you hit new game plus you actually were at the best part of the game I only. But yeah all old like 25 hours at least for me.

Mostly true although the original would usually try alot of weird things that kept it interesting, like the 2d stuff this new one has.

Thanx guys. How is the difficulty throughout the game? Is it Ninja Gaiden difficult or Dark Souls difficult?

Thanx guys. How is the difficulty throughout the game? Is it Ninja Gaiden difficult or Dark Souls difficult?
Neither, the original is actually pretty easy. Half way through you are pretty overpowered and new game plus is a joke. Both new and old also have diffculty settings so you'll be fine.

Tunned

The "sell a game with one gif" thread sold me on this game, and the demo even more so. Amazing game all around, will be picking it up.

sanstesy

Liked the first game a lot but I didn't follow the media from this game expect seeing some pictures posted on GAF but played the demo anyway because of hype. Expected to like it and just post nothing as a result but I'm actually somewhat underwhelmed.

1. It's getting kind of lame how Platinum just takes their standard combat, gameplay & and even general encounter design and slap it on every other game they work on. It's definitely getting stale and I'm kind of shocked that they just can't deviate even one bit from the template Kamiya set with Bayonetta. Also, the enemy design was weak as fuck which is kind of unexpected and hope improves in the full game. Still better than the first game and general movement feels way smoother than the first game which is good but this is not something that got me more excited one bit.

2. While I never expected the soundtrack to live up to the first NieR game, nothing in that demo even scratches the weakest tracks in that game which is the definitely the most disappointing thing out of this. Hope that was just a mediocre strech of tracks on an otherwise good soundtrack because it didn't only musically sound not as good, it also sounded pretty low-budget in comparison which makes the orchestral tracks without a choir or voice sound pretty weak.

3. Animations are sick and that has always been the case with Platinum.

4. Environments are even more generic than in the first game. Hope these become a little more interesting in the full game.

5. It still has that atmosphere from the first game which is good.

I expect to enjoy the full game even with the impression I've got from the demo, though.

The story and characters are wonderful. The original Nier is a very unique, surprisingly personal and empathetic experience. I loved the dynamics of this small, dysfunctional family you find yourself with, and the genuine believability in which they all grow to care for each other. The soundtrack is also one of the GOATs, there are very few like it, it's an absolute tour de force from the composers, the main vocalist, and the other singers. The game is a flawed gem, with some trying gameplay elements, but the boss battles were great. Some really fantastic creature designs there.

I also can't remember how much time it took me, so I'm glad other people are replying! As people have said, it depends on how many endings you want to go for. I normally find 'more story via NG+' to be a huge waste of time, but Nier is truly special in that regard. It definitely has one of my favorite gaming endings of all time.

Dio

Banned
2. While I never expected the soundtrack to live up to the first NieR game, nothing in that demo even scratches the weakest tracks in that game which is the definitely the most disappointing thing out of this. Hope that was just a mediocre strech of tracks on an otherwise good soundtrack because it didn't only musically sound not as good, it also sounded pretty low-budget which makes the orchestral tracks without a choir or voice sound pretty weak.

It's the same person behind the music. I have enough faith in Keiichi Okabe that this will be an awesome OST. There are a couple gems in this that really caught my attention.

Aurelius

Tried the demo last night, and really, really like this game. The gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, switch in camera modes and music really appealed too me. Didn’t die once (played on normal), but didn’t feel like I was totally in control either. However, like Dark Souls, I felt that was my fault and not the games.

I usually don’t play these types of games (last one was Ninja Gaiden) so I guess I need to get used to it. I switched L1 and L2 (lock on and special attack), and the helped a bit. Will play again tonight on Hard and practice my dodging.

This game just became one my most wanted title for 2017!

Non fans of the first Nier loving this more than us is worrying me
It's hard not to be picky, most nier fans are loving it but when so much of the games a mystery it's hard not to want to put your guards up. Thankfully drakengard 3 kinda taught me to wait until I finish a Yoko Taro game before I judge it, but right now it's a fantastic demo.

Played the demo tonight. NieR was one of my favorite games of last gen for so many reasons - the characters (even grumpy ol' protagonist himself), the voice acting, the ludicrously good soundtrack, the text adventure (!), the broader refusal to pick a genre and stick with it, the stroke of brilliance that is NieR's NG+ - but it had been so long since I sold my 360 (and with it my copy of NieR) that my memory of the actual gameplay was a bit fuzzy.

If the actual finished product of Automata significantly resembles the demo, this could end up as my favorite game of -this- generation. Considering the fate of Cavia, that we're getting another NieR game - and one with this level of quality - is a miracle.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I haven't read the thread and I'm sure my opinion is in the minority because Nier + Platinum = GAF darlings, but.... holy shit that was terrible. My expectations were low, too.

The constantly changing camera is annoying, combat is boring, too many interruptions and nonsense scripted sequences, story and characters were of zero interest (mediocre English VA too) and the game is ugly as sin in every way (technical - jaggies everywhere, environments - dat brown, character designs - ewwww ; seriously everything was honestly horrible looking). Even the music was underwhelming, after all the hype I heard about the music in these games I was not impressed.

The only good thing about it was the fully customizable control scheme.

Ferr986

But this is not true. Lots of fans are liking it. Gameplay is well above from the first one and we simply don't know shit about story and music (and the music on the demo was very good, not every track is going to be Shadowlord's theme).

1. It's getting kind of lame how Platinum just takes their standard combat, gameplay & and even general encounter design and slap it on every other game they work on. It's definitely getting stale and I'm kind of shocked that they just can't deviate even one bit from the template Kamiya set with Bayonetta. Also, the enemy design was weak as fuck which is kind of unexpected and hope improves in the full game. Still better than the first game and general movement feels way smoother than the first game which is good but this is not something that got me more excited one bit.

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I agree. I would like them to make something that's more free form like DMC without the current layout they have for all of their games, but I don't think that's happening for awhile. They care a lot about making balanced action games though so that's one reason why they've had that standard for so long.

Went in mostly blind to this demo; knew very little about the game, and kinda still don't. Took me a while to get used to the controls. Feel like I need to play it again to get a better sense of how deep the combat is.

+ animation is nice
+ combat is fairly fun, though the enemies are repetitive
+ UI is great. The UI designer deserves props

- really didn't like the forced camera angles, especially the top-down view. hard to see and felt restrictive, like old PS2 action games
- color palette is drab, enemies blend in to the background
- seems like a lot of fog in the outdoor areas, not sure if this was an aesthetic choice or engine limitation
- boss battles were kind of boring, very little challenge or tactics involved
- was confused by the ending, i guess that's not the protagonist of the game?

Overall it was a really well-done demo, but I'm not sure it sold me on the game.

Ellite25

I felt kind of underwhelmed. Everything in the demo looked "cheap." I don't know how else to describe it. The boss looked pretty bad, like it was from an old cartoon. The flying orbs looked pretty bad too. It was neat though how it felt like a bunch of different games in one though. Overall, not sold on it.

LotusHD

Banned
I haven't read the thread and I'm sure my opinion is in the minority because Nier + Platinum = GAF darlings, but.... holy shit that was terrible. My expectations were low, too.

The constantly changing camera is annoying, combat is boring, too many interruptions and nonsense scripted sequences, story and characters were of zero interest (mediocre English VA too) and the game is ugly as sin in every way (technical - jaggies everywhere, environments - dat brown, character designs - ewwww ; seriously everything was honestly horrible looking). Even the music was underwhelming, after all the hype I heard about the music in these games I was not impressed.

There's always one...

Just started the Demo, and wow i'm officially sold on this game, Almost die against the first enemies, But that was just me getting use to things, Since its my first time playing this kind of game.

The boss looked pretty bad
image.php

Just gonna say I can't trust your judgement on this one :p

J-Skee

Why are people talking about the gauntlets? Oh God, please don't tell me the gauntlets are in the demo. I'll never go to sleep.

Permanently A

I'm genuinely curious, post your favorite combat system in a game, your favorite character design and your favorite OST/track from a game. Just want to see what you're into and how it compares to Nier.

I am literally writing a book on Nier.

If you gave me a demo of Nier and it was just, I don't know, the first time you visit the Aerie, I would not be that into the game.

As a fan of Nier, what do you expect a 20 minute demo to do for you, realistically?

wmlk

I am literally writing a book on Nier.

If you gave me a demo of Nier and it was just, I don't know, the first time you visit the Aerie, I would not be that into the game.

As a fan of Nier, what do you expect a 20 minute demo to do for you, realistically?
The Aerie was a pretty amazing map. And Weiss is amazing and goes far beyond the dynamic 2B and 9S have in this short section.

wmlk

I think what this may differ from the first is being overly serious or for long sections in the game, whereas Nier always had a refreshing perspective on all the depressing stuff going on with Weiss as your companion. The hokey nature of the first game is underrated.

I don't see any room for levity among the three Yorha units in the box art.

EDIT: I mean, I don't expect this to be the same game. The demo just raised actual concerns.

UrbanRats

For those complaining about the technical aspect, sure it's platinum's engine, which never looked that amazing, but can you really name another big RPG (with open world design) that runs at a decently smooth 60fps on console? Honestly i'd rather have 60fps than more eyecandy, seeing as the arrt direction is strong enough to work decently, and this is an action game based on dodging at the last second.

I admit i'm not worried about IQ, since i'll be playing it on PC, so hopefully it'll scale well, and i'll be playing at 4K 60fps or thereabout.

sanstesy

I think what this may differ from the first is being overly serious or for long sections in the game, whereas Nier always had a refreshing perspective on all the depressing stuff going on with Weiss as your companion. The hokey nature of the first game is underrated.

I don't see any room for levity among the three Yorha units in the box art.

Weiss was one huge ass reason for even liking Nier, though. He literally saves stretches of the game which I would consider terrible by sheer dialogue.

J-Skee

For those complaining about the technical aspect, sure it's platinum's engine, which never looked that amazing, but can you really name another big RPG (with open world design) that runs at a decently smooth 60fps on console? Honestly i'd rather have 60fps than more eyecandy, seeing as the arrt direction is strong enough to work decently, and this is an action game based on dodging at the last second.

I admit i'm not worried about IQ, since i'll be playing it on PC, so hopefully it'll scale well, and i'll be playing at 4K 60fps or thereabout.

Not that I was complaining, & it's genre isn't RPG, but Metal Gear Solid V was open world at 60 frames per second on console.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm genuinely curious, post your favorite combat system in a game, your favorite character design and your favorite OST/track from a game. Just want to see what you're into and how it compares to Nier.
What a weird request, but OK, I'll humour you.

Favourite (real-time/action) combat systems: Soulsborne games and Nioh, followed by Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, and Ys: Oath in Felghana/Origin.

Favourite character designs: uh, my characters in Fashion Souls ;) or my avatar (not playable though). But for a pre-set playable character, hmm, I like Alucard (Castlevania: SotN), Kain and Raziel (LoK Soul Reaver), Gabriel Belmont (Castlevania LoS), Athena (Borderlands: TPS), Shadow (FF6), Agrias (FFTactics), Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3), Orta (Panzer Dragoon)... to name a few with various art styles.

Favourite OSTs: my all-time favourite is Castlevania: SotN, probably followed by FFTactics, the Panzer Dragoon series, Bloodborne, Suikoden series, Wild ARMs series, Xenogears, Guilty Gear XX, FF6, Castlevania: Bloodlines... well I could go on.

Now what?

For those complaining about the technical aspect, sure it's platinum's engine, which never looked that amazing, but can you really name another big RPG (with open world design) that runs at a decently smooth 60fps on console?
How was this demo open-world?
(Anyway, there's MGS5 and Scholar of the First Sin. Obviously MGS5 had way more budget, though, and its art style isn't that stunning either.)

seeing as the arrt direction is strong enough to work decently
Yeah, that gorgeous mushy brown everywhere with the stunning architecture of grey-and-brown metal walls and stairs.... oh don't forget that beautiful sickly-beige skybox! :)

Fraeon

I know, I know, it's a demo but there's a whole bunch of canned shit where I'm needlessly out of control. Like having to wait for the beam pod in the first boss or the whole "wait until you rip off the end boss's arm". By the third demo playthrough I was already kind of getting tired of that shit.

And yeah, Platinum's engine is great but after Automata I'm pretty sure I won't feel like playing a Platinum action game for a while. The formula is getting kind of stale at this point.

Otherwise...

Interested.

Top Bottom