• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the game I chose over zelda as it's cheaper to buy this then tonbuya console and just one game of interest. Reviews seem to clarify that this game is indeed great. Ign Japan was hard to understand due to the translation but the score seems to show it wasn't a hit for everyone.

farisr

I'm really glad I had this and Horizon ordered on a deep discount. Wouldn't have been able to buy and support Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 at a regular prime discount otherwise. And if I had to choose, this would've won over the other 2. Especially GR2, as I hadn't played any demos for Gravity Rush, hadn't gotten around to playing my copy of GR Remastered either at the time so wasn't a 100% sure if the gameplay would click with me, I was interested solely based off gameplay videos.

Thankfully that did work out. Beat Gravity Rush Remastered last month and absolutely loved it. Will be playing a few games before Gravity Rush 2 to create some gap between the games, but absolutely looking forward to it.

I have this game ordered day 1, but will be finishing Horizon before getting around to it. Really loving this whole slew of Japanese titles hitting it out of the park one after the other these past few months.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is the game I chose over zelda as it's cheaper to buy this then tonbuya console and just one game of interest. Reviews seem to clarify that this game is indeed great. Ign Japan was hard to understand due to the translation but the score seems to show it wasn't a hit for everyone.

No Yoko Taro game is. But those that love Yoko Taro really really love his work. Its just that Platinum is here to put some polish in

zsMyqr7.jpg

Mupod

so how Platinum can you get with the combat once you unlock more abilities? The demo seemed much simpler than say Bayonetta, but after I went back and played through Nier it made more sense. It was just Nier with good gameplay. But that doesn't mean I don't want to get cuhrayzee.

Fujinn

Well shit. And here i'm waiting for some news on the pc version. March is killing me, no money for a Switch and Zelda no info about Automata.

Please, let the "leaked" steam release on that trailer be true...

Philippo

Obviously not going to stay that high, but i think it will stay in the 85-88.

Then again, today is the day every review that isn't a Zelda 10 is basically zero lol

I'm so getting this. I was on the fence before but after watching the "recap" videos of the Drakengard series/Nier posted in the Nier: Automata OT you can sign me up to the Yoko Taro fanclub.

As an aside, I notice that when Famitsu gives Nier: Automata 39/40 it's just more proof that the magazine is a glorified advert written by paid shills, but when the new Zelda game gets a perfect 40/40 some people will defend the proud history the magazine has regarding "perfect" scores and it's proof that that the game is amazing.

I can't even keep track of all these gamez man. I still have to beat Gravity Rush 2, finish the DLC and Madhouse run of RE7, just bought Horizon, have to get around to Nioh, Yakuza 0, and now Nier: Automata eventually, and be jealous of people with a Switch/WiiU for Zelda.

silva1991

Persona 5's review thread is going to be a warzone unless it gets universal acclaim like Breath of the Wild.

EDIT: For what it's worth, there's a few Import reviews out for P5. None of them are under 9/10.

I hope by critically acclaimed you don't mean 95+ MC, because no no one will be mad if that doesn't happened.

I can see slight(just slight) disappointment if it's high 80's and not low 90s.

Well on its way to become one of the greatest gaming years in history. And we still have games like Persona 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Super Mario Odyssey to come.

Insanity.

Second half needs more games though.

Mario
Ni no Kuni 2
GT: Sport
RDR2(pls don't get delayed)

What else?

Zhao_Yun

Will probably go down once more reviews hit (when does the embargo for the Western version end?), but it should easily become Yoko Taro's highest scored game.

No Yoko Taro game is. But those that love Yoko Taro really really love his work. Its just that Platinum is here to put some polish in
It's all good for the lucky few who get his taste then. Honestly can't believe how all the big games that seemed to good to be true have all actually delivered between this,horizon and zelda and we all know from Japans impression that persona 5 was excellent as well.

Dargor

wow, never thought I'd ever had a gaming budget situation, but boy, I do not have enough money to buy all these games!

Audioboxer

Will probably go down once more reviews hit (when does the embargo for the Western version end?), but it should easily become Yoko Taro's highest scored game.

Knowing Taro he's probably aiming for his lowest scoring game yet... But that'll be hard with Platinum involved, as the biggest gripes with Nier were the combat.

Man, I got the black box edition coming next week, but it's gonna have to wait until after Zelda. Horizon I think I'll have to just kick down the road for a while since P5 might be out by the time in done with Nier.

killatopak

I'm so getting this. I was on the fence before but after watching the "recap" videos of the Drakengard series/Nier posted in the Nier: Automata OT you can sign me up to the Yoko Taro fanclub.

As an aside, I notice that when Famitsu gives Nier: Automata 39/40 it's just more proof that the magazine is a glorified advert written by paid shills, but when the new Zelda game gets a perfect 40/40 some people will defend the proud history the magazine has regarding "perfect" scores and it's proof that that the game is amazing.

It's the other way around to be honest.

No way the budget of nier allows for shilling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
does the game actually have enemy variety, from some streams i've seen (which unfortunately happen to be at a time where people just afk in a large desert, lol) i've only really seen that little robot thing from the demo as enemies
Nowhere near as much as a, say, Bayonetta, but it isn't the same sort of game. This game is more of an RPG with a very very tight action loop, a cool customisation system (my build is better than yours and here's why!), and a lot of really novel scenarios and ways of completely defying your expectations. Try to go in not knowing much about the structure of the game.

wow, never thought I'd ever had a gaming budget situation, but boy, I do not have enough money to buy all these games!

A very different situation from the early PS4 days when people were starved for must-have titles. Now there's one or 2 every week it feels like.

AniHawk

2017 best year in gaming since 1998. Period.

1998 started a series of years that, at every 3 years, you'd see its legacy (sequels to games released in 1998 and later, sequels to games released in those 'legacy' years that weren't there in 1998). i think that it fizzled completely in 2016. 2017 feels like the actual next best thing in terms of genre-defining games and impact. i wasn't expecting to see this kind of love for nier automata. this year has been pretty crazy so far and we're just starting march.

Second half needs more games though.

Mario
Ni no Kuni 2
GT: Sport
RDR2(pls don't get delayed)

What else?

Destiny 2? Probably AC Empire. Crackdown perhaps?

As for games I'm looking forward to myself, ARMS and Cuphead (if it's not out earlier).
I wonder if Sony has something else besides Uncharted The Lost Legacy and GT Sport, such as... wait, a minute...

KNACK 2!

killatopak

I really wanna know what it says.

Here's a quote from the OT thread translating it.

+Refined combat
+Peerless story with a strong philosophical foundation
+A spiritual successor to "Nier"

-Too many "shooting" components throughout the game (not sure if this is referring to the pod shooting or the hacking mechanics) Edit: Probably the flight unit sections.
-Getting around and having to do retries can be annoying
-Relatively boring boss battles in comparison to the original

More or less.

ianpm31

Already pre-ordered and ready to go. I am getting overwhelmed with the amount of great games on the ps4. I'm trying to keep up

Destiny 2? Probably AC Empire. Crackdown perhaps?

As for games I'm looking forward to myself, ARMS and Cuphead (if it's not out earlier).
I wonder if Sony has something else besides Uncharted The Lost Legacy and GT Sport, such as... wait, a minute...

KNACK 2!
FFXIV Stormblood as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom