• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Shipments and Digital Sales Exceed One Million

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Japan finally went back to its roots and are making games they want to make instead of trying to appeal to the west.

Good thing they finally learned their lesson, Japan am back.

Varg

Banned
Just waiting for the port to be fixed completely before hoping in and doing my part in purchasing on pc . Game looks good .

Taruranto

If they remade Nier I'd want them to touch up more than just the combat. Make the repeat playthroughs a bit more unique like Automata. Also flesh out the story in game, and not just through outside sources (Grimoire: Nier).

Uuuh, Nier's B route has more content than Automata's B. They are also structured pretty differently
A and B aren't real endings in Automata.
I do wonder how Nier 1 would be received now, not only for the worse combat, but the different routes and what they do with it probably won't hit as hard if you are familiar with this in Nier 2.

I feel like it was more a product of it's time.

Probably better, now that the series has hype and a fanbase reviewers will care and won't put it down because they can't follow the quest compass.

5452690_kim-kardashian-poses-completely-nude-on_t511e7eeb.gif

Squire

Banned
Maybe they aren't as niche as we thought, especially when you add PC players to the mix? That said, Gravity Rush still bombed hard in spite of my love for the game.

Gravity Rush wasn't marketed to the extent this was. That should really be a key takeaway. Even now SE is pushing this.

jorgeton

A Yoko Taro game hitting over 1 mIl in sales/shipments. Incredible.

Would love a Drakengard 4 developed by Platinum games. They took his love of genre-shifting and elevated it to an artform.

I don't know if this has been answered/discussed, but what does this mean for the future of Platinum? I know that after Scalebound collapsed, some people were worried about what the studio would do next. It seemed like a lot was riding on Automata's success? I assume this gives Platinum a new lease on life, right?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know if this has been answered/discussed, but what does this mean for the future of Platinum? I know that after Scalebound collapsed, some people were worried about what the studio would do next. It seemed like a lot was riding on Automata's success? I assume this gives Platinum a new lease on life, right?

They do more work with Square Enix, they never work with MS again.

I don't think Nier would work with Automata combat. It has to be more clunky, but yeah, it could be better.

And it's a strong possibility for dev handling a remaster. Automata was initially a pitch for a Vita port of the original game by Platinum, after all.

...How desperate for work was Platinum to be pitching a Vita port of Nier?

Like that seems like the most random thing to try and pitch.

I personally think the game's origin story as told by Saito is total BS.

It's so clearly built from the ashes of a canned MGR2 that it's not even an argument.

Gbraga

Actually I agree entirely with your point; the thing is though replacing the evade/counter system with a blocking system would very likely change the feel to be suitably "heavy".

To be truthful though, I'm not sure I would want a rebuilt Nier. I think I'd probably feel happier with a straight port with improved performance. The original game is something really special, and I'd hate for that to be lost.

Not to mention I'd like to see Yoko/Platinum working on something new together.

Yeah, I'm with you. I want it ported for preservation more than anything. No need to alter it in any way, it's already a masterpiece.

Blablurn

Bought it after the hype. But need to finish some other games first. Glad to see a title like this being successfull in this day and age.

Gbraga

Day one.

Square-Enix wanted to do something with Platinum, but had no idea what exactly, and they just brought up that idea, because the younger folks at Platinum were big Nier fans.

They didn't come to S-E with the idea out of nowhere just to get some work. You have to remember that this was before Transformers and TMNT came out, and before Scalebound got cancelled. And now they have Granblue money.

TKM

Wow congrats to Yoko Taro, Square-Enix, and Platinum Games. I thought NieR:Automata would be lucky if it could do 1 million after a year and discounts. Getting to 1 million shipped so quickly and at full price is huge!

Japan finally went back to its roots and are making games they want to make instead of trying to appeal to the west.

Good thing they finally learned their lesson, Japan am back.

I think It's not that they think it won't sell, it's that they won't sell as much as a western game.

Without that 'niche status', 1 million doesn't sound as impressive. Heck people have been shitting on Ubisoft games and they still sell a lot more. Both For Honor and Wildlands sold the highest at their launch.

I think It's not that they think it won't sell, it's that they won't sell as much as a western game.

Without that 'niche status', 1 million doesn't sound as impressive. Heck people have been shitting on Ubisoft games and they still sell a lot more. Both For Honor and Wildlands sold the highest at their launch.
The biggest costs for those Western AAA games is marketing, though. As with films, it can easily balloon to 2-3 times the actual development/production costs.

The money S-E spent on profit black holes like Kingslaive, Florence Welch, Audi, and Jamie Oliver alone could probably fund the entirety of NieR Automata's sequel.

HabeeNo

Bought it but still havent played because of Horizon.

Glad I was able to contribute somehow to it, we really lack godlike Hack n slashes this gen lol

A Yoko Taro game hitting over 1 mIl in sales/shipments. Incredible.

Would love a Drakengard 4 developed by Platinum games. They took his love of genre-shifting and elevated it to an artform.
Platinum has been doing the genre switching thing for a whole, Bayonetta is a good example. Nier does a better job though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The biggest costs for those Western AAA games is marketing, though. As with films, it can easily balloon to 2-3 times the actual development/production costs.

The money S-E spent on profit black holes like Kingslaive, Florence Welch, Audi, and Jamie Oliver alone could probably fund the entirety of NieR Automata's sequel.

Meanwhile nier's marketing is yoko taro rolling around on the floor.

EdmondD

It's not going to happen but I hope with the success of Nier that more developers and publishers realize how important strong writing is to a game. Let's get more good stories in games. Take risks and be creative. Tired of this writing that insults my intelligence. Give me something to sink my teeth into. Something that makes me think.

Sagroth

Just started but really enjoying the game so far. Glad to see the game is both a critical darling and selling above expectations.

Top Bottom