• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Shipments and Digital Sales Exceed One Million

Amazing! Haven't gotten to playing my copy yet and I doubt I will in the near future but this is quite the accomplishment. Such a huge turnaround from the original game!

big fake

I feel proud like a father would of his son. I'm so happy Taro and his vision have finally found critical and commercial success all in one. What a time to be alive!

vato_loco

Incredible game. Easily in my Top 3 so far and a strong contender for GotY.

I'm truly happy to see it's getting the love it deserves.

Congrats to the team and SE. Nioh, Nier, P5, and Yakuza 0 are still on my must-play list, this year really has to slow down so I can get to these games lol.

addik

Did my part! I've always wanted to support Nier but I didn't have a PS3 before. So glad Yoko Taro and Platinum are seeing the success that they both deserve!

Clov

Great news ! And congratulations to the team.

I suppose we will be getting more content with N:A, and hopefully, a remastered NieR and Drakengard 3, too.

You know, I wouldn't mind an HD version of the first Drakengard. That way more people can experience the suffering of getting Ending E.

gngf123

Did my part.

Happy to see it being successful. So far it's my favourite game in a long time and I've not even finished it yet.

Pretty sure this is how everyone approached the first Nier, haha.

I'd almost be interested to go back, but I heard the game is pretty rough mechanically. To be fair, it wasn't entirely a whim; I've liked pretty much all of Platinum's stuff I've played

Yeah, I thought that was a bit strange to include.

Yeah it's a bit spoilery I guess, but I didn't wanna be that guy who complains. Suppose I didn't help by calling attention to it =/

Ennosuke

I love Nier so much. I am in Japam on vacation and it is amazing, but sometimes I miss playing Nier. Expecially because things got very exciting in my current playthrough before we left.

Fantastic after the million sales of Nioh, although in Nier Automata's case we have to thank the PC (220,605 owners right now according to SteamSpy) and Japan (almost 200K).

And imagine that it could have been even more if not for the Sony gag order on the PC version's existence pre-launch.

Nier doing well on PC even after the Square/Sony fuckery and complete lack of marketing should never be forgotten when discussing PC ports of japanese games.

Charamiwa

Banned
I remember someone in the 200k steam thread saying that SE should make a PR statement and being a bit ridiculed for throwing this idea. I'd just like to pay respect to this poor soul. You're not forgotten.

Hylian7

While I haven't played the Drakenguard games or original Nier, I think it's great when you have a renowned dev like Platinum work on a series that (as far as I know) has excellent story, but mediocre gameplay.

Automata is fucking excellent, and I still need to finish it. I love it.

Imagine if in 2011 someone told you the sequel to Nier would be critically acclaimed with a 90 on metacritic, and sell over a million copies.
* And would be made by Platinum Games

Ridley327

Imagine if in 2011 someone told you the sequel to Nier would be critically acclaimed with a 90 on metacritic, and sell over a million copies.

And it would be made by Platinum Games, who is commonly thought of as being retail poison in spite of their critical acclaim.

Are we sure we're not in a troll ending right now?

Do we know Japan/West split?
Would seem to be about 3:7 JP/West ratio given what we know about the sell-through percentages from the weekly JP sales data.

I have a feeling the ratio will tip a bit once the game is officially released in Steam's Asia store.

addik

It's sold over 300k in Japan when taking into account digital sales. I'm not sure if it's been released in Asia yet, but Japanese games have been doing rather well there as of late.

It got an Asian release on the PS4. Steam version is not yet available, but our local retailer is selling the DVD version for the PC. Not sure if it's the Asian edition or just imported.

Funny to look back at 2015 when people were claiming that the PS4 did not have a sufficient audience for Japanese games and wondering why so many Japanese games were being announced for it.

Nowadays, its the bread most Japanese releases rely on.

Maxinas

Very cool, congratulations to Yoko Taro. Shame it released in between Zelda and Persona 5; it'll be in my backlog for a long while.

Top Bottom