• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

This comic is good because you can read it both ways:

1. A $40 3DS game is worth more than 40 $.99 games, because so many of them are "fucking garbage".
2. But for real though, $40 on the app store gets you a shit load of pretty good games.

For me, mobile games do not hold my attention. You can buy 40 of them, and most of them are shallow time wasters. Not that they don't have a place, I have fun playing some of them when I'm out and have nothing else to do. But in no way do I feel like choosing to play them when I could do something else. That's what console games do for me. I feel like they actually warrant my time. I can put my time in and get something out of it.

Well, for one they could have researched their competitors about HD development, Internet Services and changes in their management infraestructure. Three things that were called out and still are.
I'm going to be up front with you and suggest none of those were the things that made the wii U the failure it's been. Even if Nintendo had made the internet system everyone here wants, I doubt it would have changed much because that hasn't been the biggest issue facing the wii u. And what do you mean by research HD development? Do you mean the fact that the games took longer than expected to come out? Because even if they had known that, that wouldn't have changed the fact that the games would take as long as the did to come out. Maybe they could've delayed launch, but since most of those games they initially announced are already out and the system is still doing poorly, I don't think the delays were the biggest issue either (They certainly hurt, but it isn't the core issue). The core issue is that the system is underpowered and the hardcore gamers who won't drift to the smartphone market are obsessed with power, and that it makes it less likely multiplats would develop for Nintendo. Now yes these problems affected the wii later in its life, but for most of the wii's lifespan neither third party support nor being underpowered were a huge issue as far as NINTENDO was concerned during the development process because the wii was doing really well and it had the same premise. By the time those issues became obvious, it's very possible it was too late to turn back

Scum

RE: New details from the gibbo tweet;

I think increasing licensing efforts is a good model, but ultimately not the kind of thing that sort of changes how a company does overall. Rather, it's a bonus or value add. If the underlying product that you license withers, most of the time your licensees are going to feel demand shrink and that's negatively going to impact you. But definitely something Nintendo should do, given that Minecraft made... what, $100,000,000 in licensed goods last year? Angry Birds the same or more? Kids can't get enough of this stuff.

Focusing more on emerging markets is a great idea. They are an integral part of SCE's business plan (not just the traditional BRI, but also EMEA countries more generally) and I think Nintendo misses out on a lot of easy sales by not putting in efforts in those regions. I still think you'll have a product demand issue; smartphones (especially low end Androids) are quite popular in developing markets and the software model of cheaper up-front costs does better to compete with apathy and piracy culture. Low hardware price is obviously pivotal, but software pricing and positioning and ease of purchasing is also really important.

Apple sends mixed messages about in-app purchasing on iOS without giving them a cut. Things like Kindle--buying content directly for consumption on the device--are definitely not allowed. On the other hand, things like pizza ordering applications are allowed without giving Apple a cut.

This is where I think about Iwata's mention of pricing of Nintendo's hardware and software...

I'm going to be up front with you and suggest none of those were the things that made the wii U the failure it's been. Even if Nintendo had made the internet system everyone here wants, I doubt it would have changed much because that hasn't been the biggest issue facing the wii u.

You suggested things that they could have changed. Never say that they were biggests issues. ;)

Altought they were common complains that were heard and they should had been adressed in the Wii era.

And what do you mean by research HD development? Do you mean the fact that the games took longer than expected to come out? Because even if they had known that, that wouldn't have changed the fact that the games would take as long as the did to come out.

That is a big If. As they should have listened the industry mussings in HD development long time before.

Again, I say upfront, you seem to want to have an apologism than actual disscusion of their unadressed issues.

You suggested things that they could have changed. Never say that they were biggests issues. ;)

Altought they were common complains that were heard and they should had been adressed in the Wii era.

That is a big If. As they should have listened the industry mussings in HD development long time before.
Again, I'm not saying they didn't make mistakes. I'm saying the biggest mistakes were stuff that would have been mostly set in stone by the time they could actually reveal a product to the public And even if they listened to the musings, Nintendo only has so many resources it can allocate, and the people who made it great also didn't have experience in hd by and large. And don't say they should have just hired a ton of new people, because that carries tons of huge costs as well (not to mention it wouldn't be too helpful unless those new hires were already veterans who were used to working with HD). Also, why do people always forget that Nintendo had to move a ton of their hd development resources to 3DS games after their stumbling over there? And that that was caused in no small part by the gigantic earthquake in Japan that happened at the time (Because everyone seems to ignore that the 3DS actually did have a pretty strong start in Japan until that occurred)

Again, I'm not saying they didn't make mistakes. I'm saying the biggest mistakes were stuff that would have been mostly set in stone by the time they could actually reveal a product to the public

They were set in stone because they didn't want to listen to trends of their competitors (both in console space and mobile). They were known a lot before the Wii decay.

Here's how I think it will go down.

Nintendo announces the following Free Apps for mobile phones/tablets.

• MiiVerse Mobile Edition
  • Nintendo Video Mobile Edition - Free App with random cartoons and Nintendo commercials.
  • Art Academy Super Lite - A version of Art Academy with half of the tools of the 3DS game and one of the lessons. It links to the eShop Mobile Edition Store.
  • eShop Mobile - Make purchases on your phone and then download them later on the 3DS or auto-queue them on your Wii U for download.
  • Dr. Luigi Mobile Edition - You can try out a time limited version of some of the modes of the game.
  • Intereactive Nintendo Player Guides with Video/Audio content for a small price in conjunction with Prima.

So, that's what I expect. Yup.

RM8

Once you go mobile, you can't turn back.
Uh, I can. I own an iPhone and two Android devices. There ARE good mobile games, but it's insanely limited and I'd hate giving up my 3DS in favor of my phone. When you buy SSFIV3D and then SFIV Volt... Well, you really get what you pay for. Mobile is fine for some games, actually much better than 3DS (stuff like Anomaly or Kingdom Rush), but it's a terrible substitute for a traditional handheld.

I think its pretty predictable this would happen eventually, I think it will go down like: Iwata walks on stage -

"Hello, today I'm hear to unveil Nintendo's approach to mobile development, I would like to bring a spokesperson for Joe Phone Technology on stage to demonstrate what users can expect.... but hell.... *rips off suit* you can kiss my ass. *Iwata hits the Stone Cold Stunner* *shattered glass music hits and he walks off stage flipping the bird*

I'm not sure if someone hasn't already mentioned this, but if Nintendo goes this route, why not do something like what they did with the Bravely Default demo?

Have a very simple demo of a Wii U game or 3DS game that can give you a "head start" in the full console/handheld version. If they just release a demo with no purpose other than to show a game that won't be anything like it's console counterpart due to the interface, I doubt there will be much interest in purchasing a Nintendo console to play the full game, especially if it seems the simple demo of the game will be just like how it plays on the consoles (which it won't).

Give people incentive Nintendo.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's not a selling feature, it's an expectation. People love consolidation.

I don't think DVD playback is an expectation at all. It was barely an issue in 2006 when Wii didn't play DVDs either.... and that sold like hotcakes.

I don't think DVD playback is an expectation at all. It was barely an issue in 2006 when Wii didn't play DVDs either.... and that sold like hotcakes.

Because people were buying the Wii as a novelty. For better or worse, consoles are now media devices for households. During the GC, people had the same problem with the mini DVD.

Gannd

Banned
Because people were buying the Wii as a novelty. For better or worse, consoles are now media devices for households. During the GC, people had the same problem with the mini DVD.

The GameCube came out in 2001 when DVDs were still selling. By 2006, the move to digital was already in progress. The Wii didn't lose out because of it and it's not hurting the Wii U.

Triton55

Interested to know more about how they plan to "boost their copyright business." Hopefully it's not just cracking down on piracy. Commission little bumpers to run in between shows on Cartoon Network. Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Kirby. Kids love that stuff and it would increase their brand name affinity.

I don't think this will help more than the Nintendo directs has. You are surrounded by much cheaper apps on your smartphone already, I don't think many people will rush out to buy a 3ds/wii u just to experience that one game.

Somnid

I don't think this will help more than the Nintendo directs has. You are surrounded by much cheaper apps on your smartphone already, I don't think many people will rush out to buy a 3ds/wii u just to experience that one game.

That's not entirely how advertising works. Sometime it's just a gradual push. I'm sure if you ever bought a console it wasn't always planned from day 1 but just hearing about this and that finally pushed you over the edge.

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm not sure if someone hasn't already mentioned this, but if Nintendo goes this route, why not do something like what they did with the Bravely Default demo?

Have a very simple demo of a Wii U game or 3DS game that can give you a "head start" in the full console/handheld version. If they just release a demo with no purpose other than to show a game that won't be anything like it's console counterpart due to the interface, I doubt there will be much interest in purchasing a Nintendo console to play the full game, especially if it seems the simple demo of the game will be just like how it plays on the consoles (which it won't).

Give people incentive Nintendo.

I think this is probably the most realistic and potentially lucrative way to make use of the mobile platform. I think spreading awareness of titles via smartphones would be a great way to tap into a huge (potential) userbase--so long as they provide enough incentive.

My perfect imaginary Nintendo demo would be simply called "Mario Playground". In said app, you would control 3D Mario in a single mini-open world stage. No timer. No enemies. No deaths. Just obstacles and a few physical playthings for Mario to run, jump, and bounce off of. A slide to go down, a few pools to swim in, a few trees to climb, maybe a large mountain with some platforms to traverse. A few "secret" areas. Imagine the first playable stage of Mario 64 with no shines.

All this with 60fps, classic Mario 64 controls.

Charge $4.99, with .99 for Luigi/Peach/Toad add-ons. End every play session with a "continue Mario's adventures in Super Mario (insert whatever Mario game is coming out next)."

Print money.

Naw, it'll be Mushroom village!

Mario has to Rebuild the village after Bowser destroys it. You have to build homes for the toads to get them to move back. You can even the Princesses Castle!. You'll play mini games to collect stars to power up your construction.

10 stars = .99
30 stars = 4.99
100 stars =9.99
1000 stars =49.99

Search your heart, you know this to be true.

Box

This isn't going to work......

I wonder if Iwata is just trying to buy time for the next round of consoles at this point. I want to think that there will be a new strategy for Nintendo's next hardware release whatever it may be, but I'm not sure why if that's the case, that Iwata wouldn't want to present that.

Maybe he just really doesn't want to do mobile and needs more time to figure how to position Nintendo's next handheld. I feel like the strategy here is to try to get the investors off his back. I don't know if it will convince them at all but it's probably the only card Iwata has if he really doesn't want to do mobile in any meaningful form.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'd expect companion apps and f2p side entries to known franchises. Core games will stick to their own platforms.

Lebon14

Demos of games for 3DS on mobile would be at least a somewhat new approach. Or cut down versions for 99c, buy the full thing on 3DS etc. If they did it consistently, for all games, I think that could be cool.

That's what I think too. I mean, small games that could be purchased for 1$ but leads to actual incensitive to purchase hardware and games. Why not. As long as it's not full games, however. That I will never (the following is coming from a Nintendo fan) accept this decision if they go full mobile. No. way. IN HELL. NE-VER. This GIF further demonstrate this feeling:
1253886001_office-no.gif

Don't launch a smartphone either as the market is already bloated with sh*tload of devices of any sort. And I wouldn't want it anyway. Pay an extremely expensive (Oh canada!) monthly fee solely to enjoy Nintendo mini-games with sh**** controls?!

goomba

Banned
this does not sound like much

miiverse has been available on phones , tablets and pc's since last year

how do you play game demos on a phone/tablet which lacks buttons/sticks that wiiu/3ds have?

AzaK

Hmm, more info coming from Nikkei? Or just the same article?

Oh my, how absolutely boring. It'll help the company but won't do much to rebuild faith in the past consumer. I can see Nintendo doing it though, and loving it if they can just start selling to China and make billions. They wouldn't give a damn about fixing their console or infrastructure if they're making money.

If it's a Nintendo phone it better be a power house or they're allowing the virtual store on mobile phones. Which would be amazing.

Neiteio

I think its pretty predictable this would happen eventually, I think it will go down like: Iwata walks on stage -

"Hello, today I'm hear to unveil Nintendo's approach to mobile development, I would like to bring a spokesperson for Joe Phone Technology on stage to demonstrate what users can expect.... but hell.... *rips off suit* you can kiss my ass. *Iwata hits the Stone Cold Stunner* *shattered glass music hits and he walks off stage flipping the bird*
Ha, this is amazing. And I bet Iwata is a sculpted physique under his tame clothing, Ned Flanders-style.

RamsesA

Neo Member
I can't wait for full fledged mobile games. I think Mario will be more enjoyable when I have to pay for each level separately.

:D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I could imagine that they would release a MiiVerse app and a Nintendo Direct app, or even better. Seamlessly meld the two together.

Facebook has an app, twitter has an app, why cant MiiVerse have an official application for iPad?

Riki

I could imagine that they would release a MiiVerse app and a Nintendo Direct app, or even better. Seamlessly meld the two together.

Facebook has an app, twitter has an app, why cant MiiVerse have an official application for iPad?

They showed it off in the reveal trailer. And they've talked about it multiple times. It's definitely happening.

Top Bottom