• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei's Konami/Kojima article officially translated into English

liquidtmd

Banned
Sorry if already clarified - they're stating TPP has a budget of 80 million since inception - are we sure this isn't also including GZ?

Also: it's launching cross gen and PC, so five platforms isn't exactly limiting its potential install base

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry if already clarified - they're stating TPP has a budget of 80 million since inception - are we sure this isn't also including GZ?

Also: it's launching cross gen and PC, so five platforms isn't exactly limiting its potential install base

It's presumably the entire project's budget. It will probably still be profitable, but not nearly as profitable as they want for having investing 10 billion yen, especially when they're comparing it to their social game margins or even to having invested that money for seven years in the stock market.

It's about opportunity cost. Now, there's an argument that says this was an upfront investment that could have paid off notably over time through lower budgets on future iterations along with sales base expansion, but it's not something Konami appears to be interested in.

omonimo

Banned
Good Lord. Jesus. I can't believe to see again such stuff in this industry. I really need to stop to buy new games to such companies. Seriously. It's disgusting.

I don't expect he even wants to work on something on the scale of MGSV again any time soon.

Besides, in the last 5 years they basically made the biggest game they have ever worked on by a large margin, created a new engine and even a substantial online component. That is nothing minor.

Didn't RaD make The Order 1886 in 5 years lol?

RaD is a much smaller team.

Nibel

Yes, if you follow my other posts, I both state that it's most like $90 million or so at a more normal conversion rate and that's much more in line with very top of the line AAA games like Assassin's Creed, which is obviously well beyond what you'd expect a game with Metal Gear's sales expectations to cost. This is also around what a trainwreck like BioShock Infinite ends up costing, where it's very unclear where the money went unless you know the full development history of the product.

That said, I wanted to draw the distinction between doing that and breaking a record for largest budget for a game ever. SWTOR is around double that, for example.

I also repeatedly stated that I wouldn't be surprised at a publisher being upset about this to the point they wanted to shut down a studio, but criticized their way of going about it.

I think BioShock Infinite was 'remade' several times and there've been different Elizabeth models, levels and so on.

MGSV though.. it still has elements from the first trailer inside and I don't know what could have bloated the budget: Sutherland? The sheer scope of the game? The engine + assets costs?

I'd love to hear some behind the scenes stories.

And yeah, I agree that the way they treat their employees - be it legal or not in Japan - is crazy.

Would be awesome if Kojima sneaked in a million "F Konami" type easter eggs. From embarrassing pics of Kozuki to insulting audio/video files. Stuff that a few playtesters won't find but millions of retail players would find over months.

Just a dream. I hate these soul-sucking companies from the bottom of my heart.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
maybe it's the culture keeping them loyal but if they are treating the devs that bad they should jump ship. If the working conditions are that harsh then I cant imagine them making up for that when it comes to wages. Probably got contracts in place as well.

What happens if an employee breaks contract anyway?

jett

D-Member
I think BioShock Infinite was 'remade' several times and there've been different Elizabeth models, levels and so on.

MGSV though.. it still has elements from the first trailer inside and I don't know what could have bloated the budget: Sutherland? The sheer scope of the game? The engine + assets costs?

And yeah, I agree that the way they treat their employees - be it legal or not in Japan - is crazy.

FoxEngine/MGSV have been in development for over six years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They had to spend a very long time learning how to create large scale open world games from a technological, design, and production pipeline perspective.

Progress was probably quite slow in the early stages and then I imagine it took a long time to get to the point where the production pipeline was relatively optimal even once they had a sense of what they were doing.

A good example would be comparing the rate at which Ubisoft gets out the first entry/first reboot in one of their series (often 4-6 years) and then the rate at which the sequels come (1-2 years). However, Ubisoft has economies of scale that don't exist at Konami, where they can flood staff onto different high end projects if a game is stalling.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't expect he even wants to work on something on the scale of MGSV again any time soon.

Besides, in the last 5 years they basically made the biggest game they have ever worked on by a large margin, created a new engine and even a substantial online component. That is nothing minor.

Didn't RaD make The Order 1886 in 5 years lol?
Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to make an even bigger project next time, with next gen only consoles. Or maybe something smaller like other japanese devs are doing with "it's quite similar to that thing i'm famous for...but"

liquidtmd

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if he wants to make an even bigger project next time, with next gen only consoles. Or maybe something smaller like other japanese devs are doing with "it's quite similar to that thing i'm famous for...but"

Quiet Mounds and Iron Axel Floppy confirmed!

dracula_x

Probably still cheaper than The Last Guardian or FFXV

I don't think so – http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-on-saving-the-last-guardian-and-ps4-in-japan

– It's been in development for a very, very long time. It must be a considerable investment... is it one of the most expensive games you've ever developed?

– No, no, not at all. The team is much smaller. Teams in Japan are much smaller in general than teams in the US and Europe... Horizon is a much bigger budget title than The Last Guardian! It's not so small, it's much bigger than Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but it's not a US or European-style budget.

Ridley327

Probably still cheaper than The Last Guardian or FFXV

Honestly, I'd be shocked if TLG was even half the budget of MGS5. One of the reasons why Ueda kinda got away with the development of the game was it had a very small staff compared to just about any major console release. They spent too much time trying to make it work on the PS3, but I doubt there's much more to it than that.

FFXV, though? Squenix seems to be scheduling their big games around it at this point.

BadWolf

Yoshida confirmed in an interview that the budget for TLG isn't anywhere near huge or ridiculous.

Imo he is one of the few major devs for whom that isn't necessary.

SomTervo

Yes, if you follow my other posts, I both state that it's most like $90 million or so at a more normal conversion rate and that's much more in line with very top of the line AAA games like Assassin's Creed, which is obviously well beyond what you'd expect a game with Metal Gear's sales expectations to cost. This is also around what a trainwreck like BioShock Infinite ends up costing, where it's very unclear where the money went unless you know the full development history of the product.

That said, I wanted to draw the distinction between doing that and breaking a record for largest budget for a game ever. SWTOR is around double that, for example.

I also repeatedly stated that I wouldn't be surprised at a publisher being upset about this to the point they wanted to shut down a studio, but criticized their way of going about it.

Sorry – I didn't read far enough into the thread to see your other posts. I appreciate what you're saying.

In this case it's definitely Konami's behaviour, rather than their justification. How they handled the situation is just deplorable – surely even by Japan's employment standards, which are very different to the West's.

It's presumably the entire project's budget. It will probably still be profitable, but not nearly as profitable as they want for having investing 10 billion yen, especially when they're comparing it to their social game margins or even to having invested that money for seven years in the stock market.

It's about opportunity cost. Now, there's an argument that says this was an upfront investment that could have paid off notably over time through lower budgets on future iterations along with sales base expansion, but it's not something Konami appears to be interested in.

Didn't they say 80 million was only the development cost – that is, not including pre-production, post-production, or marketing costs? Which are probably huge, too. The entire project's budget might be three times the 10 billion yen figure.

Codec. His frequency is 140.85.

You can find Shuhei's frequency on the back of Kojima's employee badge

Pikma

Banned
Pretty fucking amazing how much shit is happening inside Konami and, to be honest, I'm glad it's happening.

Such a wonderful way to treat your most important talent.

Konami. Wow.
What do you expect them to treat him like? Give him a +$80,400,000 budget so he makes them a game however he wants to?

artsi

This is just... wow.

I remember watching the "making of" documentaries of Silent Hill 2 and MGS 2 and thought once that I'd like to work in that place (before knowing about Japanese work culture in general).

What an eden of creativity those offices must be right now.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is just... wow.

I remember watching the "making of" documentaries of Silent Hill 2 and MGS 2 and thought once that I'd like to work in that place (before knowing about Japanese work culture in general).

What an eden of creativity those offices must be right now.
You should still wanna work on games. It's still quite interesting.

L Thammy

Pretty fucking amazing how much shit is happening inside Konami and, to be honest, I'm glad it's happening.

What do you expect them to treat him like? Give him a +$80,400,000 budget so he makes them a game however he wants to?

Not giving him the money to waste is a great idea. Treating him and the rest of their employees as criminals, not so much.

I don't think fault has to be mutually exclusive here. Kojima screwed up, and Konami's still screwing up.

Ridley327

It's nuts.

I wonder though, how much of this all is on Kozuki? He's an old man, will his successor change matters?

If I'm not mistaken, a massive chunk of the top management are his family members, so it's unlikely that they would course correct unless he requests it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't they say 80 million was only the development cost – that is, not including pre-production, post-production, or marketing costs? Which are probably huge, too. The entire project's budget might be three times the 10 billion yen figure.

Development generally includes pre-production and post-production, but not marketing.

Marketing could get very expensive, but will presumably be tied at a run rate to what they expect to sell.

I don't expect the ROI on this game to be great. Their mobile efforts are much more profitable per dollar spent, and it's a big part of why they've switched to being a mobile developer.

SomTervo

Not giving him the money to waste is a great idea. Treating him and the rest of their employees as criminals, not so much.

I don't think fault has to be mutually exclusive here. Kojima screwed up, and Konami's still screwing up.

Agreed, although Konami are also his management. They should know when to curtail him and direct him if he's burning through too much cash.

It's not as black and white as that, obviously, but I think the onus is slightly more weighted towards Konami to be good managers and project managers.

Development generally includes pre-production and post-production, but not marketing.

Marketing could get very expensive, but will presumably be tied at a run rate to what they expect to sell.

I don't expect the ROI on this game to be great. Their mobile efforts are much more profitable per dollar spent, and it's a big part of why they've switched to being a mobile developer.

True.

My prediction is that the the ROI will be better than any of us expect, though. I'm getting a vibe that all five release platforms might sell very well, considering how much promotion (and hype) the game is gaining through word-of-mouth, advertising, and professional channels. I hope it does, frankly, to show Konami this shit is still worth investing in.

The game has no marketing outside of the Gamestop poster.

It's not like we've had several trailers, long gameplay demos, lots of kojima stations, lots of merchandising including parterships with brands and stuff... right?

I'm sure that a good amount of money of that $80m is already been restored thanks to GZ, not to mention the GwG and PS+ deals.

And even if the game is still too expensive for Konami, in no way justifies the terrible way of handling this whole situation. Fuck Konami.

Pikma

Banned

Exactly, and nobody deserves to be treated like that. All I was criticizing is people calling him the "could have been savior" of Konami when it's pretty clear he's not it, at least not financially.

RangerBAD

Here's a possible depressing reality - Kojima leaves Konami at the end of the year as scheduled, founds his own independent studio only to license the Metal Gear name off Konami who seem more interested in other people doing the hardwork with their IP while they get a cut of the profits for doing jack squat instead of using their own money to internally develop and publish games themselves.

I'm pretty sure Kojima will be happy not to work on Metal Gear anymore, but I guess when Konami goes under he can buy the IP cheap. Just to save it from Konami selling it to Activision or something. lol

Crazy. The making of documentary is going to be interesting considering all this.

I can't wait for A) Kojima's tell-all about his treatment, and B) his eventual Kickstarter campaign.

Honestly, I feel at this point that a behind-the-scene expose about Phantom Pain would be even more interesting than one about Destiny. It's so weird to think that this project went from its totally bizarre announcement to its heavy-handed corporate controlled final days.

As much as I would love to see it, I bet Konami would have it edited heavily, so all we'll see is just interviews.

Also, I'm kind of confused. I thought Kagemasa's son, Takuya was holding the reigns of the company.

kmax

Konami fucked it up along the way and they are willingly set on continuing to fuck things up. I expect them to have the decency to let him and his team finish the product in a humane and productive manner. Restricting Kojima in this way is not only disgusting, but it's extremely sub-optimal when you are at the finishing stages of shipping a game.

I may have mentioned this before, but I honestly worry less for folks like Kojima we know the name of and more for those on their staffs that we don't know the names of.

Big companies don't pivot like speedboats. They are cruise liners. If you jerk the wheel you just shake everybody up and lose all your momentum and the boat still takes forever to change direction.

I don't truly blame Konami's CEO for taking the company in another direction. That is his job. I blame him for seeming to be so amateur as not to know this basic fact of business. None of this bad PR was necessary.

I'm growing fond of this connection of mine.

Pikma

Banned
Konami fucked it up along the way and they are willingly set on continuing to fuck things up. I expect them to have the decency to let him and his team finish the product in a humane and productive manner. Restricting Kojima in this way is not only disgusting, but it's extremely sub-optimal when you are at the finishing stages of shipping a game.
It's fucking disgusting, agreed.

Top Bottom