• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: new firmware update available (Ver. 9.5.0-23)

Does the Pokemon Shuffle exploit that lets you steal the game's micro-transactions still work? Or was that killed off with earlier patches?

Firestorm

Does the Pokemon Shuffle exploit that lets you steal the game's micro-transactions still work? Or was that killed off with earlier patches?
This update fixes the web browser vulnerability that was being used for the ORAS QR exploit and Shuffle free gem exploit.

L95

Do they force the update for you to use the web browser?

It didn't last time I used the exploit, my OG DS was waaay out of date and it didn't force an update.

...I'll double check though, as I updated it right after the exploit was a thing.

EDIT: As I thought, no forced update for the internet browser on whatever update the one before this one was.

Garraboa

Is there any reason why I should keep one of my 3DSes at 7.0-2something? It was going to be my Rhythm Tengoku import system, but I don't even think regionthree works right on that version :(

Garraboa

i think you can downgrade from there?

I looked around but found nothing. I'll probably just keep it at 7.2-0 and see if something interesting pops up, since my only incentive for updating would've been Flipnote (not available here XC)

linid0t

Damn it, guess I can never get stuff off eShop again. Oh well, prob saves me money (until I cave and buy a jpn n3ds lol)

GoldChain

Thanks Reggie!

screenshot2015-03-02ao8j3f.png

Did you read up on how to format the 64GB sticks? Apparently only 32GB is native.

Glad that this came out a while after the n3DS released. Since I've already transferred to the new console, I'll just keep my old XL on old firmware for RegionThree.

I thought it didn't work on New 3DS to begin with.
I believe he was going to transfer things over to the New 3DS XL and keep his old 3DS XL as a machine that plays JPN games.

He has to update his 3DS XL to transfer things to the new 3DS XL so that kinda sorta kills it.

donny2112

Loaded Slime MoriMori 3 up on old 3DS, disabled wireless, and I'm good. Just won't enable wireless except to load out-of-region games on that from now on. Stinks that they took it away, but expected since the same kind of exploit was making stuff free in Pokemon Shuffle. Glad to at least still have a way to play the game, though!

gillty

Banned
Did you read up on how to format the 64GB sticks? Apparently only 32GB is native.

Simply format the card with your PC rather than using the 3DS OS.

I thought it didn't work on New 3DS to begin with.

Guys if we're going to pick out random posts, atleast uunderstand the context.

I believe he was going to transfer things over to the New 3DS XL and keep his old 3DS XL as a machine that plays JPN games.

He has to update his 3DS XL to transfer things to the new 3DS XL so that kinda sorta kills it.
This, it's okay I didn't want the XL enough anyways. :)

Cider

Hm, so I guess it's beneficial that I have my old XL and the N3DS and I already transferred everything over to my N3DS. Bank and all my digital games are safe there. I've been using the XL solely for the browser injection exploit so that can remain unupdated ;) Thank god I have multiple SD cards and what not

JoeM86

Finally, a stability patch that actually makes me happy. Shame it can't be forced so the Pokémon cheaters will continue :/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Finally, a stability patch that actually makes me happy. Shame it can't be forced so the Pokémon cheaters will continue :/
Couldn't care less about it right know.... It would be different if the game had some kind of Multiplayer or coop were cheating players would affect others. Doubt the couple guys using such an exploit would spend money in the game anyway.

JoeM86

Couldn't care less about it right know.... It would be different if the game had some kind of Multiplayer or coop were cheating players would affect others. Doubt the couple guys using such an exploit would spend money in the game anyway.

Not talking about the Shuffle stuff, I'm talking about the main game and the cheaters in that.

I honestly don't care if people cheat, until they start battling others who don't know, partaking in official competitions (where money is actually at stake) and sending hacks to other players over Wonder Trade. Those three things are why I'm happy this exploit is gone.

JoeM86

Meh, cheaters can still cheat with Powersaves, and people lose out on region free.

Less people have access to Power Saves, and Power Saves does often leave a mark when people don't know what they're doing.

It's a step in the right direction. They shouldn't just leave an exploit open just because people can cheat in another method too

Wouldn't be surprised if we got an XYORAS patch soon to force people to update

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not talking about the Shuffle stuff, I'm talking about the main game and the cheaters in that.

I honestly don't care if people cheat, until they start battling others who don't know, partaking in official competitions (where money is actually at stake) and sending hacks to other players over Wonder Trade. Those three things are why I'm happy this exploit is gone.
Oh my bad, I didn't know people were cheating in ORAS and XY. Yeah that sucks.

Guess you don't need the latest system software to play games.

Doczu

My boxed copy of Rune Factory should arrive in this week and my gf just updated the console... Why god, why? :(

bjork

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post hacks and stuff on gaf, but basically where you use the camera's QR reader to inject pokemon into your game. It doesn't work with the N3DS though, only original 3ds and 3dsXL

I had never heard of this until this thread. Hello all the event Pokemon that I missed.

Loaded Slime MoriMori 3 up on old 3DS, disabled wireless, and I'm good. Just won't enable wireless except to load out-of-region games on that from now on. Stinks that they took it away, but expected since the same kind of exploit was making stuff free in Pokemon Shuffle. Glad to at least still have a way to play the game, though!
Oh please there are plenty of other reasons such as:
-Gateway (all the spidertools are reverse engineered code from the gateway launcher, at least the interacting with web browser bit, it should be noted the gateway team didn't want people to steal their work* so the code had a lot of obscurification applied to it)
-Other Pokemon hacks (with Pcout/PCin I don't need Pokemon bank**, with ram2sav I don't have to buy a second copy of the game to have another save***) which kind of went mainstream with the QR code craze****
-Injecting different ROMs into virtual console games
-Regionthree. Nintendo has a history of blocking such things.

Those other reasons outdate shuffleshop by nearly a month and I think have potential to hit Nintendo bottom line much more. But if you want to blame shuffleshop, go ahead but really I think you are overstating its importance. Sure it could be A reason but unless Nintendo are run by morons it is not THE reason. In the past it has been shown Nintendo are quick to fix but slow to put out fixes (extensive testing or something, maybe even lot checks :lol:) for example and considering the browser hack is well over a month old (not to mention well documented, not that Nintendo should have difficulty RE it).

*-I know ironic considering they are selling something that can be used to benefit from stealing others work.
**-Not that I'm allowed to download it because thou must cripple your NNID and be stuck in the shitty UK eShop where €20 is £18 (reality is less than £15) but enough about me...
***-Both are outdated mechanisms designed to make money I feel. Why can't I just make PC boxes as extra data on my 3DS SD card when needed (or perhaps rather why doesn't Pokemon bank come with offline boxes, I guess nobody would subscribe then and we wouldn't have had the Christmas that broke the eShop...), also why can't I do that for saves. Some Atlus games do that (as does Theatrhythm CC for most things including high scores but not characters unlocked or number of songs completed meaning you have nonesne stats like 400/222 if you play on multiple systems, horray for testing).
****-It makes me shudder whenever I hear the phrase QR code used to describe such things because it removes all responsibility from the end user to understand what they are doing and for people who know what they are doing turns the whole thing into a gamble (a pk6 for the Pokemon can be examined, qr codes are more of a hassle as the box data then has to be dumped to examine them properly).

TomShoe

Banned

I never understood why people get so upset about other people genning perfect mons. Getting one the normal way takes up more time and energy than I can allow.

Fuckin' purists, man. The worst.

EDIT: Looks like I'll have to make a late-night genning session. I have a power save, but QR codes are much easier. Gotta get as much as I can before Ninty pushes out the force update.

Growlie19

Updated, since I already got everything I needed in Pokémon: a 6IV Ditto, 3 missing event legends (Jirachi, Shaymin, and Manaphy), and a Happy Hour Inkay. Though tempting, I never exploited the free stuff in Shuffle. And anyways, gotta have dat stability!

Ohnonono

LOL, this update got pushed WHILE I was transferring from my XL to a New XL, lucky it did not mess anything up, but I was very surprised when I had an update right after finishing.

JoeM86

I never understood why people get so upset about other people genning perfect mons. Getting one the normal way takes up more time and energy than I can allow.

Fuckin' purists, man. The worst.

EDIT: Looks like I'll have to make a late-night genning session. I have a power save, but QR codes are much easier. Gotta get as much as I can before Ninty pushes out the force update.

Because it's:
a) Cheating
b) Against the rules of the official competitive format

So, if you do it and then competitively play, you're cheating. The fact so many do it and play in official competitions and manage to get away with it is absolutely disgusting, especially as there are monetary prizes involved.

I'm perfectly fine with this exploit being patched out if it means taking out the really bad things along with the few good things for the whole.

Sometimes, you just can't have it all. Something that allows exploits in Pokémon that affects multiplayer or IAPs? Ew.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've got to admit that nintendo's region enforcement is starting to piss me off just slightly at this point. And browser patches are not even the tip of the iceberg.

Top Bottom